Why I Say Crime Warner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-14-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This morning I got an email, an ad for TWC to increase my turbo internet speed for their "Express" 30 MB.

I ran a speed test and I was downloading, just with turbo at 34mbps. My upload is the problem.

Usually on my speed tests I rarely hit above .97 gbps. According to TWC for my package that's appropriate. So I wondered what the upload was on this faster internet for $10.00 more. I called and they said "Up to" 5mgps. Notice everything is "up to."

So I asked what is the minimum acceptable speed, you know I don't want to pay 10.00 more and be told .97mbps is acceptable for uploads. I usually upload a couple of TV shows I convert from my TiVo for my wife and I reduce the size of the file. She doesn't need Dolby 5.1 and I lower the quality a bit. So an episode of "Hell's Kitchen" ends up around 2.15MB. That takes nearly 6 hours to upload via drop box, and Google documents is even longer.

I was told minimum upload is 3gbps by one person, another told me 2. Either way it's still faster.

So when I told them about the ad of course they didn't know anything about it. I would need to pay 20.00 for the upgrade. I convinced them the ad was real and they asked if there was another number to call. At first I said no, but after they said they would do it I said, you know, I do see a different number. I'll try that.

Before I did I decided just to do it myself on line. Nope. If you want to do it on line you have to also get their router, around 50.00 and 2.50 for the new modem. I called the number.

I asked the same questions I asked earlier and the only different answer was on the upload, she told me 3mbps. I said lets do it. I don't need the modem. She said OK, it would take sometime and she would call me back in 30 minutes.

And true to her word she did. But she asked me "When can we install the modem for you?" I said how much is that? 9.99. I said I was no longer interested. I mean come on, install a modem. The other CS area I spoke with told me they would UPS it for me.

So I called the regular CSR line and got a guy this time. He was negative from the first word and I told him so. He looked at my info and said I was already upgraded from an "old" turbo account so that would be $20.00. I said eff you and hung up the phone.

I called back immediately and got a very cooperative CSR. No, she didn't know the ad either but she found a package that would include the higher speed internet and Cinemax and Stars for only 6.00 more. I said for how long? One year. I said OK.

She then installed the channels and ask me to check to make sure I had them. I noticed she bricked my Tuner Adapter. Both of them. She had no idea what a tuner adapter was or TiVo really. I said fine, so long as you have it billed properly I can get the boxes fixed. She tried to fix it herself by sending an addressable hit but it didn't work.

I sent an email off to my person in TWC. About 3 or 4 hours later she said look now. It didn't work. I emailed back what was going on. She got back to me and said it was a problem with the billing end (I knew it!).

So now I have no access to any SDV channels, don't know when I will have access to them. No Cinamax or Stars. I haven't checked to see if HBO and Showtime are working.

My new router should be here in a day or so with a box to ship the old one back. But what a mess.

You think I would have learned by now.

MY NAME IS NOT BILL (but you can call me hook)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-14-2012, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Feel your pain, it is why I am glad Google is starting their ISP service here in KC, also going off what I am told I should be close to where they are going to provide service downtown so I have my fingers crossed in a few years that I can get their service as long as it does not suck bandwidth wise.

All cable companies are rip offs, I had found out they were charging me for the service I signed up for, but was only getting their lower end speeds, so I called and complained enough that I got a nice discount for another year, and with the amount I get off for them being one of my companies customers I am paying like 60 a month for TV and internet this year, but I just have the basic channels since my girlfriend is the only one that watches TV which still is not very much.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-17-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuie675 View Post

All cable companies are rip offs, I had found out they were charging me for the service I signed up for, but was only getting their lower end speeds, so I called and complained enough that I got a nice discount for another year, and with the amount I get off for them being one of my companies customers I am paying like 60 a month for TV and internet this year, but I just have the basic channels since my girlfriend is the only one that watches TV which still is not very much.

I so agree with you. I've never met a cable company I didn't like but on the same token the person who gives me personal service in TWC is somewhere up on the chain. I happen to see her on a Adelphia Now show (before TWC took over) when she was helping me with my TiVo issuse then.

This whole thing I had turned out to be a major misunderstanding by both me and TWC. Here's what it boils down to. The two extra channels have now been dropped. I'm being charged $10.00 more a month for my Express Internet.

The problem with me and the reps is they kept saying the charge was $20.00. And that's correct, but I kept thinking that they were saying $20.00 on top of what I'm paying. No. It's $10.00 a month more I think I may have to pay a couple of dollars for the new modem.

It took a speaker phone and my wife listening in to finally figure out why the reps and I were having problems with the price. Now I think everyone should know that the modems going out now include a router built right into it. So you only have one piece of equipment. The box the router comes with alll the cables you need including a splitter so you can split off the before the modem into your computer. Now you can't record all channels but it does give you HD, I set up a recording for Hells Kitchen as a trial. If I'm able to transfer the file without conversion that would be nice and saves me from uploading from my TiVo to my computer.

Appears that you only get analog and local HD and local analog. That's fine with me.

I did see an $50.00 charge pending but that's because they want me to return my old modem.I've got it packed and ready to go and will call FedEX to come pick it up.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I think your posting on the wrong part of the forum.
JJK
post #5 of 5 Old 06-23-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

I think your posting on the wrong part of the forum.
JJK

So it seems. Don't know how I got confused. Quite honestly I don't like the new design.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page