AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Local HDTV Info and Reception (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/)
-   -   Interior or Exterior Antenna for HDTV in McKinney TX? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/1415745-interior-exterior-antenna-hdtv-mckinney-tx.html)

McKinneyMagnum 06-14-2012 06:59 PM

Been a long time DirecTV customer, but ready to ditch them since I only watch a few of the channels and I want to save some bucks. So, I want to do an Antenna for the local HD and combine that with a TiVO for DVR capability.

Question is...I have a new construction 2-story home in Stonebridge Ranch (40+ miles north of most TV towers). Should I start with an exterior mounted antenna or try one in the attic? Any suggestions from other locals that receive OTA HD?

Thanks!!

CableCutter 12-27-2013 08:58 PM

I know this thread is old... But I thought I would ask anyway. I hope you are still around. Anyway, I am in Stonebridge as well and was wondering what you ended up doing. I am about to but a long range antenna but am in just looking into any HOA restrictions as well. I would really be curious to see if you rant into any issues on either side (reception or restrictions)

McKinneyMagnum 12-28-2013 10:01 AM

Still around and loving my OTA HD. The install company I went with ended up putting the antenna in the attic and It works perfectly. I did ask about roof mount and restrictions and they told me that no HOA can stop you from putting an antenna up for TV. Running the signal into a TIVO DVR and streaming content via Netflix and Amazon. Let me know if you have any other questions.

dhett 12-28-2013 10:48 AM

At 40 miles, an external antenna is always going to be preferable for best reception. An unimpeded signal gives you the best shot at consistent reception.

However, there can be some challenges with an external installation. Besides having to put the antennal on the roof and anchor it securely, you may have to contend with an ignorant HOA board telling you that external antennas are not allowed. Federal law is on your side. The FCC Over-the-Air Reception Devices rule (OTARD), put in place as part of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, preempts restrictions that HOAs and similar organizations can put on the use of external antennas. Note that the law doesn't prevent them from having any restrictions; it just prevents unreasonable ones. An HOA might be able to limit how high your antenna is (especially if it could land in a common area or other homeowner's property if it fell) or they could make you paint it to blend in with surroundings - I don't believe that paint impedes reception enough to be noticeable, if at all. If the HOA does push back, then you have to decide how much you wish to fight them.

There's also the issue of weather, and I'm sure you're well aware that it can get rough in north Texas at times. Wind may knock your antenna out of alignment, hail may damage the elements, plus other issues can mess with the connections. Make sure any external antenna is properly grounded, as a nearby lightning strike could fry your whole setup.

As you can see, an attic installation is probably going to be simpler - much less to worry about. But your trade-off is going to be lesser quality reception. Only you can decide what's right.

McKinneyMagnum 12-28-2013 11:21 AM

Also, just driving through Stonebridge there are many more antenna popping showing up on roofs lately, so I wouldn't worry about our HOA.

As for my reception in the attic, I get all the major stations crystal clear.

Bill C. 12-28-2013 07:21 PM

I'm at least curious, MM...by "major stations," do you mean the big four network affiliates or are you including some of the lesser stations as well? And how much did it actually cost to get your antenna installed in your attic?

CableCutter 12-29-2013 08:12 PM

This is excellent news Magnum. I am fairly handy so I was anticipating mounting on the roof but hearing this I might try to start with the attic first. I ordered the LAVA HD-2605 ULTRA Outdoor TV Antenna - UHF/VHF/FM/SDTV/HDTV antenna and it comes motorized for adjusting signal as well. I will update the thread when I get it going...

Thanks Dave for the ammunition related to the regulation. That could come in handy.

Also, the last thing I am trying to solve is how to get ESPN.... biggrin.gif

McKinneyMagnum 12-29-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

I'm at least curious, MM...by "major stations," do you mean the big four network affiliates or are you including some of the lesser stations as well? And how much did it actually cost to get your antenna installed in your attic?

Sorry for the delay in replying...Yes, the major 4 come in perfectly (CBS, FOX, ABC, NBC) as well as PBS. There are many others that come in but I don't watch them.

teasip 01-01-2014 08:59 PM

McM, which antenna did they install for you? I've got an old Rat Shack VHF/UHF/FM in a one story attic in Plano that gets the majors fine.

BPTTV 01-09-2014 11:15 PM

If you have a chimney, you could mount on that. (Otherwise, an easy mount can be two pieces of top rail pipe and run sheet metal screws through them to lock them together...donot use self tappers..they wallow out eventually...a normal sheet metal will work better; just got to put some shoulder into it)...with you being 40+ miles out, and with all the LD (lowpower digitals...I dont recall if there are any LP analogs left in the DFW market), I would go with a RS VU90 or similar (CM3016) and a CM7777 amp on it...if any full power lowbands return (and with the proposed repacking of the band by the FCC as the wireless folks want to take 20 more channels from the TV band), you will want the lowband coverage and the amp.....you CAN have too much signal on digital which can cause overload and drop outs but at your distance, I dont think that will be a problem (I would not recommend such an install to someone in say Farmers Branch, etc)

Samvette80 01-30-2014 06:46 PM

I'm in Bartonvile, TX 76226 which is just north of Flower Mound. I have a two story house which faces South and is about 48 miles from Cedar Hill. My attic/roof underpayment has radiant barrier insulation. Is my only option to roof mount an HD antenna? What antenna's/ equipment would you recommend? What options, if any, might I have in regards to the most aesthetically pleasing antenna's?

senordaley 11-08-2014 11:07 AM

Please respond if you can help!

I am in a one story in Stonebridge (Mckinney, TX) with a two story to the south. I tried the new MOHU SKY, and I must say
that it worked really well when it was elevated high up. Problem is that with the weak aluminum flag-pole mast I used (bought at lowe's since it wouldn't rust) the wind tore up the mount bracket and bent it. So, I had to lower the antenna to keep it stable. Lost a bunch of channels, including 8.

Now I have purchased a 100 mile (more or less) antenna from R shack, and can not decide whether to mount it instead of the compact MOHU SKY. Will the reception be significantly
improved using a 100 mile vs. MOHU sky?

I would like to get this thing up tomorrow. A quick reply if you can help would be appreciated.

David