DC Area DLP Theaters - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-20-2002, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The TI web site on DLP theaters lists the "Multiplex Lee Highway" theater in Merrifield VA as DLP equipped. Has anyone seen AOTC on this digital screen? If so, how big is the screen/room? How's the audio system? Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-20-2002, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally posted by mlewie
The TI web site on DLP theaters lists the "Multiplex Lee Highway" theater in Merrifield VA as DLP equipped. Has anyone seen AOTC on this digital screen? If so, how big is the screen/room? How's the audio system? Thanks for any info.
Saw it Saturday night at the Merrifield.
  • This is a pretty old theater, but comfortable. No cup holders!
  • The room and screen are mid-sized. Non-stadium seating.
  • Audio was OK but not fabulous.
  • Most important, image was only OK. I have not seen AOTC on film to compare, but seemed a little low in contrast and black level was not great. Resolution seemed good, only noticed digital artifacts on subtitle text (when a creature's dialog was translated).
  • As some others have reported, the prefatory material touting DLP (from TI?) looked excellent with saturated colors and deep blacks. So maybe the source material, i.e., the movie, is just not that snappy.
  • AOTC is being projected from film in several other rooms in this house, so make sure you get the right showing. They triple checked your ticket to prevent crossovers, so plan ahead and maybe buy your ticket online.

Since you didn't ask, I'd give the movie three stars and could have been 3.5 or 4 with some of the love story scenes edited down and/or a better performance from Natalie or what's his name (Anakin).

R. Aster
post #3 of 7 Old 05-20-2002, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I was also at the Lee Highway Multiplex for the Saturday 9:30 PM showing (hey R. Aster, quit talking so loudly during the movie, huh? :) Kidding...) and agree with most of what R. Aster says. My impressions:
  • The screen was too small... I guess I'm spoiled by the giant screens at the AMC Hoffmann and the Uptown.
  • No stadium seating... boo!
  • The sound system didn't blow me out of my chair--it was adequate, but nothing more.
  • Nice color saturation.
  • Crystal-clear image--no film judder or scratches, which was really weird in a nice way (I especially noticed it during the previews when the usual MPAA "THE FOLLOWING FILM HAS BEEN RATED..." blurb was shown--the image was rock-solid and so utterly still that I thought they were projecting a slide and not a moving picture).
  • Darks seemed fine to me, but then again I own an LCD projector for my home theater, so perhaps I'm used to less-than-black blacks.

If you buy your tickets online at http://www.movietickets.com, the cinema that has the DLP system will be clearly indicated (the legend "(DLP-Digital Projection)" will appear right below the movie title). The Crown Annapolis Mall XI on Route 450 in Annapolis is also showning AOTC on a TI DLP system. I have no idea what kind of a theater the Crown is, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-20-2002, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I saw the film at Muvico yesterday in Hanover, MD and I thought the film version kind of exhibited the same qualities. Low contrast especially. The screen size was huge, however in the auditorium and I was likewise under-impressed with the sournd.) I wanted to drive out to Merrifield to compare, but now seeing your reviews I don't think I'll bother. (And anyhow, I refuse to go to a movie theater with no cup holders and no stadium seating.)

Interestingly, I saw a preview of this feature using DLP projection in the DLP booth at the Consumer Electronics Show in early January. The screen size was much smaller, but the image was incredible. Maybe a lot depends on the actual DLP projection equipment the theater uses?
post #5 of 7 Old 05-20-2002, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Sounds to me that for the overall movie-going experience, I'm better of at the Uptown (unless someone comes in with a great review of the Crown Annapolis).
post #6 of 7 Old 05-20-2002, 04:38 PM

I'm actually planning to do that (Annapolis) soon. Of course, if you like the Uptown, you need to make a pilgrimage to the Senator (Baltimore). HNick
post #7 of 7 Old 05-21-2002, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Saw it at Hoffman, Was not overwhelmed with the Sound. The Picture looked Great.
This was Theater 2 which is one of the smaller ones.
I am gonna see it again tonight at the Hoffman, Hopefully will be in the largest one their...
I would go see it in Centreville, but I dont think the extra milage will be worth it in their theater...Maybe we should start hitting AMC/Hoffman with a campaign to get a DLP theater there...

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page