Combine UHF antennas? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-23-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

My current setup is a 4 year old DB4 mounted on the roof and pointing to Mount Mansfield with a CM7777 pre-amp and a CM3414 distribution amp. This is all connected to my two TVs and to the FM connector of my home theater. The 4th input is connected to my MythTV backup (PVR.) Since it's connected to a PVR, I can't use a rotor.

Here's my TV Fool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1349f9160538a1

I get all I want from Montreal (SRC, TVA, TQ & V) and most US stations broadcasting from Mount Mansfield.

I point the antenna to Mount Mansfield since it's the most difficult signals to get and Montreal channels are less then 15km away.

However, I'm having issues with two channels behind the antenna; UHF 27 and 35. They come in pretty good but they often drops just enough to lose audio and get pixelation.

My first idea was to replace the DB4 by a CM4884(HD) and point it the same way but I'm not certain it will solve this problem entirely.

The idea I had was to add a smaller low gain antenna (maybe a CM4221) on the same mast and combine the signal. But I'm not sure how to combine the signals or if it's advisable at all to do that...

What do you think?

Thanks!
cyth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cythraul View Post

Hi everyone,
My current setup is a 4 year old DB4 mounted on the roof and pointing to Mount Mansfield with a CM7777 pre-amp and a CM3414 distribution amp. This is all connected to my two TVs and to the FM connector of my home theater. The 4th input is connected to my MythTV backup (PVR.) Since it's connected to a PVR, I can't use a rotor.
Here's my TV Fool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1349f9160538a1
I get all I want from Montreal (SRC, TVA, TQ & V) and most US stations broadcasting from Mount Mansfield.
I point the antenna to Mount Mansfield since it's the most difficult signals to get and Montreal channels are less then 15km away.
However, I'm having issues with two channels behind the antenna; UHF 27 and 35. They come in pretty good but they often drops just enough to lose audio and get pixelation.
My first idea was to replace the DB4 by a CM4884(HD) and point it the same way but I'm not certain it will solve this problem entirely.
The idea I had was to add a smaller low gain antenna (maybe a CM4221) on the same mast and combine the signal. But I'm not sure how to combine the signals or if it's advisable at all to do that...
What do you think?
Thanks!
cyth
You would be much better off if you brought in another wire from the second antenna to a switch at the back of your TV set to select between antennas. Combining two antennas aimed in different directions will torture your DTV receiver and cause blackouts due to unwanted signals from the "wrong" direction. Otherwise, expect to see a lot of "weak signal" messages.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page