No DT bug. NO HD! 9:11pm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-20-2002, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NO HD! I am so sick of WTTW. PBS offers the best HD shows available and we get them in SD. I regret ever giving a penny to these morons. No Evolution in HD, no Desert Speaks at all.

What is the point of the digital feed? So we can see Barney upconverted?

Atleast NBC has no HD to offer other than Crossing Jordan & Leno, WTTW just refuses to give us what PBS makes available.

JT
post #3 of 14 Old 05-20-2002, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have a number to call?
post #4 of 14 Old 05-20-2002, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Evolution wasn't in HD here either. I called Fred Engel, Director of Engineering, last month. I'm going to call him again tomorrow. This is an outrage.

WTTW-DT seems to be a waste of bandwidth. I want to like them but it's not easy.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-21-2002, 08:00 AM

It sure wasn't in HD for me either.
I thought that if a show is broadcasted in HD then it is not possible to have sub-channels, as in 11.2. This was the case yesterday, which led me to believe (other than my own eyes) that this was not in HD as 11.2 was showing it also.

SR
post #6 of 14 Old 05-21-2002, 09:10 AM

Thought I was nuts at first
(no HD even after the IN HD WHERE AVAILABLE message)
but end result after trying everything I could think of, I still got no HD on evolution either here in Palatine, IL 60067

Mitsu srhd400 5099.0 software

funny thing is on 11-1 i get analog only, have to manually punch in 47-1 and it snaps over to DIG 11-1 however I noticed after a while it snaps out of digital and goes back to analog (on its own) really weird,

I haven't caught ONE HD program yet on wttw...are they just in the testing phases or something? I emailed them a question on WTTW HD stuff maybe 2 weeks ago never got a response...

Bill :(
post #7 of 14 Old 05-21-2002, 10:56 AM

I think we should all call Fred Engel at 773-583-5000 and ask him why Evolution was not being broadcast in HD last night. At the prompts hit "8" to get to a directory.

JT
post #8 of 14 Old 05-21-2002, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

I just talked to Fred Engel. He didn't know about Evolution not being in HD last night, and while we talked he looked at the PBS web page and saw that it was listed as HD, and he then promised to look into why WTTW-DT was SD last night.

I then asked about sending out a 4:3 image instead of cropped, and he said that subchannel 2 is 4:3 while subchannel 1 is cropped. Does anyone else observe that? I will check at home later today, but I'm having a real tough time dialing in the channels as the software update seems to have really messed with my Mits SR-HD5. I didn't ask Mr Engel about that problem, but I will on our next conversation.

Also I mentioned that I participate in a discussion group about digital tv, and he asked if I meant AVS. So he knows about us and has might even read the board. Mr Engel, if you're reading, we would be honored if you or someone from your staff would participate here. WTTW-DT is a great resource to the community, and I think I speak for all of us when I say that we want it to be as good as possible.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-21-2002, 12:01 PM

I just received a voice mail message from Dan Soles the Program Director at WTTW. Dan said that the reason Evolution is not in HD is because PBS national does not send the HD feed until Tuesday night. The verision that WTTW runs on Monday is a SD transfer of the program. It is because of a "scheduling conflict" that WTTW does not run Evolution on Tuesday's, and therefore can not show the HD version.

According to Dan, when WTTW has the "final showing of Evolution June 17th, it will be in HD." Since this was a voice mail, it is unclear what this means. If anybody has a WTTW schedule for June, perhaps you could post and let us know if all the Evolution episodes are being rebroadcast in June. Next weeks Evolution will also be shown in SD by WTTW.

Dan indicated that WTTW has just recently started its Digital broadcasts and they are working with limited resources. Dan hopes that over the next few months they will have an increased amount of HD shows to broadcast.

I guess we will all just have to wait and see.

JT
post #10 of 14 Old 05-21-2002, 12:15 PM

I am lost a bit here on the technical end I guess

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Burgess

I then asked about sending out a 4:3 image - he said that subchannel 2 is 4:3 while subchannel 1 is cropped. Does anyone else observe that?
I did a channel search on my Mitsu srhd400, btw my software is the 5099.0

but when i do the local channel search I get 11-1 but have never gotten a 11-2 (is that what you mean by subchannel 2 - 11-2 vs 11-1?) also I don't even GET a digital pic on 11-1 unless I go to 47-1 and it snaps back to 11-1 giving me a digital vs analog signal.

I don't even know why this is (maybe a glitch somewhere in my system) but i read go to 47-1 on another thread and sure enough that fixes/sends a digital signal vs 11-1 which SHOULD send a digital signal but doesn't...

Bill
post #11 of 14 Old 05-21-2002, 01:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Key in 47-2. It will remap to 11-2 and from then on 11-2 will be available in your channel list.

Pat

While I may link to and mention products as examples, I don't recommend specific products.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-21-2002, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the tip will try the 47-2 thing here in a minute, btw is this whole problem (11-1 not giving digital unless you go to 47-1 etc) a mitsubishi software problem or a wttw problem?
post #13 of 14 Old 05-21-2002, 03:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

It seems to be a Hughes built set problem with ver. 5099 software. Mits, Hughes, Toshiba...

RCA, Samsung and Zenith owners report no such problem. Hughes built sets before software ver. 5099 don't have the problem.

Pat

While I may link to and mention products as examples, I don't recommend specific products.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-22-2002, 09:04 PM

Well, WTTW has 168 hours of HD programming available to its new digital channel each week. I also wonder why they choose to broadcast 1 - 3 hours per week of the avaialble programming? The program director seems to want to skip the scheduled HD PBS programs as well? I also wonder why, with the 168 hours of PBS demo and progarmming available, they choose to broadcast the same SD programming 3 times on their analog and digital sub channels? Does it take much to switch 11-1 to PBS HD demo when no scheduled HD programming is avaialble?
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page