Current state of San Diego HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-21-2002, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay San Diegans, help me out with the current status of HD here.

I recently put up an antenna and got a Samsung SIR-T150. I've been able to adjust my antenna (a Winegard PR8800) so that I can get an 'okay' signal from all the locals without having to rotate it. Some of 'em don't register all that high but I'm not getting any dropouts. I'm in Escondido, btw.

My question is about the content I've seen after just a couple of days of viewing.

KFMB and KPBS seem to be great about putting up HD content (although KPBS seems to show the same few shows over and over).

KGTV seems to show nothing but upsampled, horribly mangled (oddly cropped and stretched) 14x9 SD. I believe Enemy of the State was supposed to be HD last night but all I saw was very bad SD.

KSWB seems to be all standard def but cropped and sometimes stretched. It looks better than most of what I've seen on KGTV, though.

XETV seems to be all standard def. I know Fox only does 480p at best but I haven't even seen this. Last night's Ally McBeal finale was supposed to be 480p Widescreen but all I saw was 480i 4x3.

KNSD seems to be all SD... except I caught a Leno and the Preakness in HD. They both looked great.

Does this mirror other people's experience or do I have something misconfigured? If this is the current order of things how do we twist some arms at KGTV and XETV to do a better job of getting the higher quality content on the air?

I read somewhere that KUSI is supposed to come online with their digital transmitter soon. What's up with XUPN?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-21-2002, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You're fairly accurate in your assessment. I live in Del Mar and am fortunate enough to be able to draw in the LA OTA's. Therefore, I watch KCBS, KNBC and KABC most of the time. KCET (PBS) also shows the HD national loop from 3 pm-11 pm every day.

I was told by a friend high up at COX they would be online with HD by the end of the year.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page