Lost DTV signal on Long Island, NY... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-21-2002, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long Island, Holbrook, since Sunday (5/19) I do no get any (H)DTV signal from NYC. All analog signals are received perfect. Can anyone provide any info about their reception from NYC and/or on Long Island. Did anyone notice signal level drop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-21-2002, 10:29 PM

Everything from CBS-DT and FOX-DT has been coming in perfectly in New Hyde Park. Maybe you should try rescanning and check your antenna connection.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-22-2002, 07:57 AM

I too live on Long Island and am looking into getting a satellite service (leaning towards directv & an UHF Terk antenna)

How many HD channels do you pick up in Nassau County? I too live in Nassau and was curious how many channels we can get in HD.

Thanks in advance,
Rhino

To learn about and see the most critical information about diamonds *before* the purchase visit "The Ultimate Diamond Information Site" at www.goodoldgold.com
post #4 of 8 Old 05-22-2002, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
CBS & FOX are available through OTA, broadcast from the Empire State Building.

Some people on LI can also get WTNH OTA. They are a ABC affiliate from CT. You need to point a VHF antenna about 32 degrees.

There are SOME areas on LI where Cablevision is broadcasting MSG, FOX SPORTS and HBO in HD. These channels will be recognized by any HD receiver, BUT NOT by a cablevision digital IO receiver. Plug your cable line into the cable/ota input on your receiver and do a channel search (Tell your receiver it is an antenna). Hopefully you will come up the stations. If you don't, there is nothing you can do except get a dish. Cablevision does not claim they offer the service, but they send it out to support their Wiz stores.

Cablevision HD channels:
39-1 (MSG)
61-1 (Fox Sports)
64-1 (HBO)

DirecTV has HBO-HD, Showtime & HD-Net.

Hope this helps,
Joe
post #5 of 8 Old 05-25-2002, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeCraw
CBS & FOX are available through OTA, broadcast from the Empire State Building.

Some people on LI can also get WTNH OTA. They are a ABC affiliate from CT. You need to point a VHF antenna about 32 degrees.

There are SOME areas on LI where Cablevision is broadcasting MSG, FOX SPORTS and HBO in HD. These channels will be recognized by any HD receiver, BUT NOT by a cablevision digital IO receiver. Plug your cable line into the cable/ota input on your receiver and do a channel search (Tell your receiver it is an antenna). Hopefully you will come up the stations. If you don't, there is nothing you can do except get a dish. Cablevision does not claim they offer the service, but they send it out to support their Wiz stores.

Cablevision HD channels:
39-1 (MSG)
61-1 (Fox Sports)
64-1 (HBO)

DirecTV has HBO-HD, Showtime & HD-Net.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Hi JoeCraw,
I just got an HD receiver this week and tried to get those HD channels on OOL. I did find them but my question is the way to hook this up. I tried a splitter on the end of the OOL coax and the cable modem worked fine but the receiver wouldnt bring anything back anything after a rescan. Works fine when I go straight in to the reciever without the splitter but i want to use both at once if possible. Any suggestions ?
post #6 of 8 Old 05-25-2002, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaun
I just got an HD receiver this week and tried to get those HD channels on OOL. I did find them but my question is the way to hook this up. I tried a splitter on the end of the OOL coax and the cable modem worked fine but the receiver wouldnt bring anything back anything after a rescan. Works fine when I go straight in to the reciever without the splitter but i want to use both at once if possible. Any suggestions ?
First thing you need to do is make sure you split right from your original feed. You also need to make sure you are using a high-bandwith splitter. It should be at least 1.2 GHz. You can get them at Radioshack. There are a few threads about this if you do a search.

I common question is combining this feed with an OTA signal. Its not going to happen. The frequencies are too close. Unless you have a lot of disposable income to spend on band-pass filters, its not worth the effort. Just get an IR switch (also from RS).

»ken«
post #7 of 8 Old 05-27-2002, 12:45 AM

Hi All,

I just recently purchased a Sharpvision tuner and I'm using a Terk Outdoor antenna... I was wondering if anyone is getting any CBS at all in the NYC area(I'm actually in Jersey City, NJ across the water).... I am able to get Fox and UPN, but no CBS... Anybody out there getting CBS? I'm asking because I don't know if my tuner is defective or I am setting it up wrong.. Thank you...

-Mike

Please reply if you are getting CBS and you are in the NYC area.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-27-2002, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yes, ,CBS ,FOX and UPN coming in with no problems.

I'm in Bay Ridge ,Brooklyn,.

Blue

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008
Panasonic AE4000 Projector
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page