KSL Audio Level Mismatch between local and net - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-31-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been watching quite a bit of the Olympics. The poor video quality of the NBC feeds aside, has anyone else noticed the disparity in local audio levels vs NBC network. I've been measuring anywhere from 7-10 db differences with local being much louder than network. When the KSL News promo comes on I get blown out of the room. Ken?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Are you watching over-the-air, via Cable (Comcast?), or via Satellite?

After reading this, I noticed that (at least this morning), the separate feed going to Comcast was not taking the NBC audio direct (no processing) but was getting re-processed and re-balanced a bit. (Operator error in programming the automation events).

When we take a DD5.1 source, like HD NBC, or the Conference Center ("Music and the Spoken Word"), the audio is sent to the processors with a command to pass the audio "as-is", with only an overall level-reduction if needed to prevent over-modulation. The dialNorm is fixed at -24 dBFS on everything.

The local Promo spots are a totally different issue. The promotions people seem to think the audio should be "set to 10" when they record them. Master Control has complained about it quite a bit, so now we have one of the engineers looking in to it. The local promos should be running somewhere around -20 dBFS, and the processor should try to normalize it to the proper Dialogue level. If the spot is coming in WAAAY hot, it's probably out of range of the processor for the first moment or two. Of course, then, the processor has to "recover" as the next spot (with the correct level) comes in, so it becomes very noticeable.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #3 of 3 Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Ken for your reply. I was watching off DISH. I've presently moved my large screen/audio system to a new location in my home so I don't have a feed from off the air repeaters down here St. George to compare with at the moment. But whatever you did or said to someone must have had some effect as the match of net vs local seems better balanced as of last night. Now if you could only convince NBC not to use so much compression so the video would clean up a bit... :-)

Thanks again!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page