Comcast Digital Transport Adapter question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-01-2012, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In my house, I have one Motorola STB and two DTAs'. The two Digital Transport Adapters feed the digital Comcast signal into two Analog TVs. As far as I can figure out, these DTAs', Model DC50Xu, just convert the signals from Digital to Analogue.

Yet, I have two other HDTVs' (I assume both ATSC tuner equipped) and a couple of cable splinters to feed the cable signal around my house. I feed the unmitigated signal to these two other HDTVs' and they only receive OTA channels.

To recap: 1 TV with STB (HD receiver) and 2 DTAs' (Digital to Analogue). Am I correct in assuming that if I bought a QAM tuner, I could view the rest of my Digital package on the other 2 HDTVs?

I realize that the STB is specifically designed to unscramble the HD channels. Again, aren't the DTAs' just converting the signal from digital to analogue?

Thanks for the answer.

If you have any questions, please ask!

ColoSat101
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-01-2012, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoSat101 View Post

In my house, I have one Motorola STB and two DTAs'. The two Digital Transport Adapters feed the digital Comcast signal into two Analog TVs. As far as I can figure out, these DTAs', Model DC50Xu, just convert the signals from Digital to Analogue.
Yet, I have two other HDTVs' (I assume both ATSC tuner equipped) and a couple of cable splinters to feed the cable signal around my house. I feed the unmitigated signal to these two other HDTVs' and they only receive OTA channels.
To recap: 1 TV with STB (HD receiver) and 2 DTAs' (Digital to Analogue). Am I correct in assuming that if I bought a QAM tuner, I could view the rest of my Digital package on the other 2 HDTVs?
I realize that the STB is specifically designed to unscramble the HD channels. Again, aren't the DTAs' just converting the signal from digital to analogue?
Thanks for the answer.
If you have any questions, please ask!
ColoSat101

The DTA has a digital TV tuner inside which the cable company authorizes to descramble channels of the customer's particular lineup.

This tuner is paired with a channel 3 (or 4) analog stereo transmitter inside the DTA to broadcast the descrambled channel into the subscriber's companion TV, which is left tuned to channel 3 (or 4).

The DTA only descrambles one channel at a time, and only outputs one analog channel.

It comes with a remote control to select the desired cable channel, plus programmability to turn companion TV set off/on and adjust its volume.

Purchasing a QAM tuner would only allow you to decode the QAM channels the cable company carries in the clear, but then your other HDTVs are already doing that. To upgrade from the analog only DTA, the cable company will lease you additional set top box(es) to descramble and display HDTV cable channels on your other sets.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page