DTC100 + RS DBT Lower Manhattan NYC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-22-2002, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my DTC100 today (coupled with a Sony 57HW40) and RS DBT ant.

I only had like an hour to play with it before having to go back to work.
I connected the RS DBT to ANT A input and did a full channel scan.

It picked up like 10 stations with 2 being digital. The DTC100 didn't display signal strengths for any of the channels. I was able to see maybe 3 channels (couldn't tell which they were) but the digital wouldn't come in at all. Also, it only displayed output via the s-video connection (not the vga-component)

The DBT is stock out of the box with the original wires, and I have a 300-75ohm converter then a female-female coax converter, then a coax cable to the DTC100.

I'm in Batter park city, and my window is facing east.

Any ideas on how I can get CBS and FOX to come in? Also, how do I get the DTC100 to display on the component inputs?

Thanks,
-mlr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-22-2002, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well since I haven't gotten any responses here is my update:

Lower Manhattan: (BPC)

Got FOX to come in (Watching Celebrity Death match now) Thow it is only 4:3 with bars on left and right (Fox logo in right bar)

When I hit INFO on the DTC100, it says WNYW 16:9 Ch 5-1

I did a quick search and I am not getting CBS at all.

Any new suggestions on getting CBS and FOX?

Go Screech! hehe

-mlr
post #3 of 10 Old 05-22-2002, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

mirtime:
As with most HDTV STB's, the RCA DTC 100 out-puts either HDTV or SDTV, but not both at the same time. On the front panel the "HD Monitor" light will be on when HDTV is active. Also, the DTC 100 will display a "signal strength" only for digital stations. Success with the RS DBT may be achieved on channel 44 and 56 (I am working from memory now, but I believe that these are the ch. numbers for the two digital presently on the air broadcasting from the Empire State Building) with a little trial and error.

Regards

J Thomas
post #4 of 10 Old 05-22-2002, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

jcthomas,

I did get the DTC100 to output HDTV signal (FOX)

However, it shows up as 5-1 and 44-1. And these are my only channels.
I'm getting FOX at about 58... witha RS DBT

I cannot get CBS at all, no matter where I put the darn antenna. I tried entering 56-1 directly but get nothing, even when moving anetnna around.

so, I know my setup works, but CBS refuses to come in. Even though its at the same place as the FOX antenna.

Thanks for helping a new guy out.
-mlr
post #5 of 10 Old 05-23-2002, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm only about 9 blocks from the ESB, mlr, and have the reverse reception--only CBS (UHF 56)) reliably and Fox/UP (44.1, 44.2) intermittently. The erratic remapping of Fox to 5.1 and UPN apparently not remapping correctly is the topic of a recent thread--at least something similar to that.

CBS, according to a post a while back, is transmitting at much higher power levels than Fox/UPN. You may be able to pick up CBS from a reflection, which can come in at almost any angle. While building walls are generally well shielded, sometimes moving antennas to different areas of the room can make a big difference in reception. I'm using the book-size Silver Sensor antenna because it has narrow reception pattern, rejecting numerous multipath (reflecting) signals that often throw off H/DTV reception in Manhattan. It's not necessarily better than different models in other NYC areas.

If you happen to have Time Warner cable, you could pick up WCBS-DT with a direct cable connection to your DTC-100, using an antenna, not cable, terminal and tuning to channel 46 (not 56). This is TWC's 8-VSB version of CBS (just like over the air, but a different channel). Also, if you call TWC's special HDTV number (212 598 7363, or perhaps 598 7312 these days) you can get on the list for a HDTV cable converter. These 2000HDs (currently) give you HDTV HBO, CBS, Showtime, and NBC on cable channels 701-704. Rumors suggest Fox (EDTV or 480p only), ABC, and PBS may soon be added at 705, 707, and 713.

Don't have a DBS viewing angle at all (southeast), but if you do (see DBS forum) there are several good HDTV sources via satellite, including HDNet (DirecTV), with programming not available on other sources. Also, there are apparently techniques for getting network HDTV signals from Canadian DBS sources, although it may require giving a false address. There has been some discussion of this method here , which you could uncover with a search, and it may have been outlined on AVS forums, too. -- John
post #6 of 10 Old 05-23-2002, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

John:

I just got Directv installed as well (They couldn't get the hd satellite to work yet) So I'm just trying to get OTA while I wait.

The picture on fox is pretty good with a weak signal, tho its only 4:3.

What is the best way to even find a signal for CBS? I'm not sure on the best procedure...

Do I find a new spot for the antenna and do a quick scan? or do I tune the station in manually and then move the antenna around? The signal for the fox channel can go to 0 pretty quickly moving the antenna around. I understand that the 'sweet spot' could be ver small, but I want to make sure that i have the correct settings on the DTC100 to display the channel *IF* i get a good spot for the antenna.

basically I don't want to be running around with an antenna in my hand to find out I don't have it on the right channel or something.

Thanks,
mlr
post #7 of 10 Old 05-23-2002, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Don't catch much of Fox's digital programming due to the reception problem I mentioned. But much of it during primetime should be widescreen 16X9, I believe, so if you're only getting 4:3, that's something to investigate (there's also something with HDTV).

Haven't tuned anything with a DTC-100, so can only reference my experiences. There's certainly is a 'sweet spot' and due to multipath, or just the main signal, it can vary with just an inch or so of antenna movement. With my set, I always manually enter the channel number, then move the antenna until I get a response. On any receiver, a panel light may glow indicating an incoming signal, or images might appear. Clearly you want any visual indication that registers the slightest antenna/signal change. You need to use the same physical/visual method to maximize CBS that results in Fox going down to zero.

At times I can tune in CBS by entering 56 on the main channel tuning mode and pointing my Silver Sensor at the ESB (with numerous intervening walls in the path). Other times I require a special maintenance mode using the channel number to position the antenna. This provides about 5 different on-screen tuning indicators, including several LOCKED readouts and a histograph-like display of multipath reflections. Despite all these indicators, it's often impossible to tune in Fox/UPN. -- John
post #8 of 10 Old 05-23-2002, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

so do just turn the channel to 56 or does it have to be 56-x (where x is some number)

I don't care if it gets a bad picture, I just want to make sure that I do get a picture if i hit that sweet spot.

Thanks,
mlr
post #9 of 10 Old 05-23-2002, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I've found just entering 56 is okay with my set. CBS, blissfully, doesn't have any subchannels yet.

You'll want to locate the antenna for a reasonably stable picture. Otherwise you'll get blackouts, macroblocks, out-of-sync voices, etc. -- John
post #10 of 10 Old 05-23-2002, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Well like I said, I just want to make sure first that its connected correctly so I get some output... then I will worry about getting a stable picture.

I guess the chances of finding a place where both channels comes in is rare.

mlr
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page