What Next? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-12-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a CM 4228 in my attic that runs directly to one tv in my house. It's pointed at Red Mountain and I get all channels except for PBS. I get NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, and CW, but I don't get any of them "solidly." All channels are hovering in the 60-70 range on my Tivo's channel signal utility, but all channels pixelate or drop intermittently. Sometimes the channel will be solid and you can watch tv for a while, and sometimes it's unbearable. I'm considering moving the antenna outside, a pre-amp or really anything else that sounds like it might make sense. I'm close, but I am in the valley where the Cahaba River separates Mtn. Brook from Liberty Park right off of the Liberty Pkwy Exit off 459. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-12-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
If anything, that 4228 may be too big for your situation. It is more of a fringe antenna and has very high gain. You are only about 5 miles away from your transmitting tower. I'd try something like this from Radio Shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11113388&utm_campaign=Category_CMS&utm_source=CAT&utm_medium=RSCOM&utm_content=CT2032189. Any amplification is going to make your signal overdrive your TV....

Bobby 

post #3 of 7 Old 08-12-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the recommendation. Is it possible that the 4228 is over-driving the system by itself? I moved here with that antenna and figured since it was so "good" that it would do fine. Is it possible that I'm getting too much?
post #4 of 7 Old 08-12-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Possibly... Perhaps you might try to put an attenuator in the mix. Also available at Radio Shack... Here's another thought, If the antenna was there when you moved in, is the antenna pointed at the transmitters? I ask that because, maybe, the prior owners were looking to get a station much further away and this was their way to do it. By pointed, I mean the little x's on the 4228 are facing the transmitters.

Bobby 

post #5 of 7 Old 08-12-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4bama View Post

Is it possible that the 4228 is over-driving the system by itself? . . . Is it possible that I'm getting too much?
System overload is impossible with those signal levels. You are experiencing multipath (reflected/delayed signal path) due to the placement of the antenna. Try moving it around to different locations in the attic. If that doesn't help, move the antenna outside, on the roof.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-13-2012, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Based on your plot, it appears you're on either River Oaks Ln or River Oaks Cir (ct?), a nice east facing, tree covered location. You have an 1100' ridge a mile to your west that is blocking signals from several of your towers, then you're tucked up on the east side of a second hill and have the antenna in the attic pointed into the hillside to the west. Most of the signal is simply passin over your head (you're in the shadow of the terrain).

Get the antenna out of the attic and up in the air as high as you can manage on the eastern-most side of your home that is possible. Mount the antenna so that it is tilted uphill and is aimed at the visual horizon to your west.

Radio Shack hasn't sold attenuators for a long time. Sorry, but an AC9 is a terrible antenna choice for this location.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-13-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Sorry, but an AC9 is a terrible antenna choice for this location.
Absolutely!!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page