Obsolete Antenna? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 10-26-2012, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
There is nothing Obsolete about a TV antenna or Satellite Antenna. These inspectors need to go back to Burger King or McDonald's. Now if they are stating that it is abandoned, which would be hard to prove, again they are just finding ways to make money for a city that is bleeding money.

Again, tell them to show the federal citation that states that a antenna or satellite dish is illegal when on a structure, but not attached to a tv at that time, and you can show them that the sun rises in the East, sets in the West.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 10-27-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Sounds like it's time to call the FCC about this whole mess.
And, your local TV station.wink.gif

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #33 of 45 Old 10-27-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

The antenna was mentioned in our inspection, due to CATV was being used, and that the antenna is considered a hazard if it comes loose during a storm. .............

How about when the Cable TV goes out, and you NEED the antenna? How do they answer that one, I wonder?
(Sorta like, "I don't need a fire extinguisher, cause my house isn't on fire." tongue.gif )

"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #34 of 45 Old 10-27-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It's time to give up your guns, and now your TV antennas! It's a new world order. All previously attained rights are no longer valid. You must pay for everything, including forced health care for food that gives you cancer, but is allowed to be sold to you.mad.gif More Government is never the answer.
post #35 of 45 Old 10-27-2012, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Glad I bought a house in Royal Oak instead. Threw an antenna up and nobody said boo, except for the neighbors who asked why I was on the ladder! biggrin.gif No complaints, though. I have cable, but I like the OTA option.
post #36 of 45 Old 10-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 43

Let's not be so hard on city inspectors. Yes, they should know the law, including OTARD, but some people do fail to maintain antennas properly, although this one looks fine.

If the city is trying to squeeze some money out of homeowners, that would be a good story for local TV news to cover.

They could also cover the outrageous price hikes that cable companies have every year and the need to have more regulations to rein in those companies.

Somebody might also want to cover the fact that the economic troubles go back to Nixon's historic 1972 trip, which eventually led to unfair global competition.

Regardless of the causes of the economic decline, though, people should have some understanding of the plight facing a lot of cities as they struggle to keep operations going

despite a declining tax base.

Still, though, the bottom line is that antennas are perfectly legal, and a city should have no right to interfere with them as long as they are installed properly and properly maintained.

About a year ago, I read something about the city of Boston being upset that too many satellite dishes were spoiling the look of the city's streets.

post #37 of 45 Old 10-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

It's time to give up your guns, and now your TV antennas! It's a new world order. All previously attained rights are no longer valid. You must pay for everything, including forced health care for food that gives you cancer, but is allowed to be sold to you.mad.gif More Government is never the answer.

You say that more government is never the answer, but you also imply that someone should prevent the sale of food that causes cancer. Seems like you need to make up your mind. Besides, I don't see what any of that has to do with the topic of TV antennas.

post #38 of 45 Old 10-27-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

You say that more government is never the answer, but you also imply that someone should prevent the sale of food that causes cancer. Seems like you need to make up your mind. Besides, I don't see what any of that has to do with the topic of TV antennas.

You seem to like big Government, because every time I have brought it up, (2 times one of which was on another thread which you scouted me out) you come in and defend big brother, yes we do have a food inspection division that is supposed to take care of us which is funded through taxes, and all these donations to cancer cures, but they will not tell you what food additives are causing all the cancer. Maybe I should pay Al Gore to fix the air next? rolleyes.gif
Quote:
I don't see what any of that has to do with the topic of TV antennas.

Then lets talk about antennas. Should big sis tell you not to have one? Are they dangerous? Will they hurt or kill someone? I don't need a nanny telling me what I should be doing, or telling me to pay for something that has always been provided by broadcasters for no charge.
post #39 of 45 Old 10-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder why the FCC didn't assign RF 42 to WJBK.

The other major stations in the area are on RF 41, 43, 44, and 45.

post #40 of 45 Old 10-28-2012, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

CKCO-TV-3 in Oil Springs, Ontario (serving Sarnia and Chatham) already had been (since about 1974), and still IS, on analog channel 42. Analog and digital stations on the same channel will interfere with each other, and WJBK is far too close to CKCO-TV-3 to share the same channel. CKCO viewers would see a great deal of snow in their picture in both Sarnia and Chatham, and WJBK would not decode in much of Macomb County or any of St, Clair County,

WJBK could have been on channel 20. Their final channel choice, made to the FCC, before transition, basically said "Give us channel 7, or give us channel 20, if we can't have 7" I think most people following this would agree that their channel choice should have been the other way around.
post #41 of 45 Old 10-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsthemultipath! View Post

Quote:

CKCO-TV-3 in Oil Springs, Ontario (serving Sarnia and Chatham) already had been (since about 1974), and still IS, on analog channel 42. Analog and digital stations on the same channel will interfere with each other, and WJBK is far too close to CKCO-TV-3 to share the same channel. CKCO viewers would see a great deal of snow in their picture in both Sarnia and Chatham, and WJBK would not decode in much of Macomb County or any of St, Clair County,

WJBK could have been on channel 20. Their final channel choice, made to the FCC, before transition, basically said "Give us channel 7, or give us channel 20, if we can't have 7" I think most people following this would agree that their channel choice should have been the other way around.

I thought I read somewhere that the Canadian government, to save money, was shutting off some of the analog transmitters for the CBC sooner than it had planned, often in rural areas where most people subscribe to cable anyway. I know that CKCO is a CTV station, not a CBC station, but what are the plans for phasing out analog broadcasts in Canada? Are they planning to go entirely digital soon?

post #42 of 45 Old 10-28-2012, 02:29 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearborngirl View Post

Found this thread on Google. I also just had my Dearborn home inspected to rent it, and was cited for the "obsolete" antenna with the explanation that the city wants to clean up the neighborhoods by removing obsolete dishes and antennae. my antenna is in great condition, secured well and the chimney is not compromised. My CofO is also conditioned on the removal. Id like to know how this turned out and if you had success arguing this with the city.
In the context you are using the above underlined sentence, I believe 'obsolete' is being used incorrectly instead of the proper word, unused.

There is NOTHING anyone can do if the antenna is being used and that is that in a nutshell. Oh, they may try to bully one around, but the FCC has seen to this and placed into law concerning just this type of abuse. Y'all are legal as long as the antenna is installed and wired to code, including proper grounding.
post #43 of 45 Old 10-29-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

If the antenna is still usable, I don't think it's any of their business whether it's currently being used or not. It's still there as a backup for when Cable or satellite fails. A satellite dish can be there for similar future uses.
If the house is a rental, how do they know whether the new tenants will want OTA, DirecTV, DISH Network,or Cable....or, none of the above? Do they require the phone company to pull out the wiring for the phone when there's nobody living there?

post #44 of 45 Old 01-07-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Any more news on this?

post #45 of 45 Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
sorry for the delay but i just found out that the inspector is going to allow this. i explained that i use it and that it is not obsolete. he was surprised but still accepted it.

thanks for your help!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page