Hmm... all very interesting, but I still feel like we are discussing theory.
So let me bring some laser focus to my question (probably should have done this first, my bad).
I have one antenna that does great 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time, NBC drops out. I want to use an additional antenna to boost NBC. I know for a fact this is possible, I just do not have all the science figured out on how
to do it.
I can easily figure out exactly which frequency NBC is being broadcast locally (zipcode 61874, local station WAND, low end of the UHF spectrum, real channel 17, NM 58dB, Pwr -32.8dB according to tvfool.com). Going to guess close to .8 meters for the wavelength. It seems to me that if I have an antenna that is parallel to the signal source, it would be possible to:
- capture signals from both antennas at the same frequency for channel 17 that are perfectly in phase (either by way of having an exact geospatial placement and/or forcing compliance via hardware), and
- block all other frequencies from antenna 2 such that it does not interfere with antenna 1
(EDIT: So I learned that channel 17 is 489.25MHz, which translates to 0.61276 meters, or just a smidge over 2 feet)
I thought a signal combiner would do that. But the one I have is beyond me, even though it is quite old (I took it apart to look inside because I was curious).
So if you happen to know the specifics of combining signals in this fashion and have some practical knowledge, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear from you.
Not that all this other background information is not helpful - it is. I just want to focus in on what is most practical at the moment.