AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Local HDTV Info and Reception (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/)
-   -   Directv AM21 (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/1429582-directv-am21.html)

mikewen94 09-16-2012 08:26 AM

Does anyone know how i can get my AM21 pick up ALL the subchannels out of Des Moines? I would really like to be able to watch the country channel on 17-3. However, when i run thru the antenna setup, it never shows up as a selection.

egnlsn 09-16-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewen94 View Post

Does anyone know how i can get my AM21 pick up ALL the subchannels out of Des Moines? I would really like to be able to watch the country channel on 17-3. However, when i run thru the antenna setup, it never shows up as a selection.
AM-21s do not scan for channels. They go by D*s database. If a local channel (includes multicast channels) isn't in D*s database, it will not appear in your guide.

ProjectSHO89 09-16-2012 12:28 PM

This is correct. The newer sub-channels added in the last 18 months or so) are not in D*'s database and cannot be tuned with any of the D* boxes with OTA tuners. D*, despite customer requests, has decided not to include them.

You have to tune them through the TV set's tuner.

ejb1980 09-16-2012 02:59 PM

10 Attachment(s)
If you have the HR34 receiver, the AM21 will scan for the "missing" channels. The "missing" channels do not have guide data (it will always say "regular schedule") but appear in your guide and manual recording timers can be set. If you really want all your subchannels, you have to have an HR34 receiver. I am considering this upgrade.

mikewen94 09-17-2012 05:09 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was just hoping someone knew that there may be a change in store. I have also found elsewhere that i could "trick" the am21 by selecting a secondary market that DID have 17-2 and 17-3 in their lineup. Does anyone know where i can find a list of zip codes that list all subchannels?

Thanks

vogon13 11-25-2012 10:51 AM

Is 17-3 the indicated channel or the actual transmitted channel? Bet the AM21 would need a zip code for a city with an actual transmitted channel that matches what your looking for. Also, assuming this might work, the distant market probably should not have a duplicate of an actual channel transmitted in your area. I'd suspect confusing the thing would not be a good idea.

ladle 12-30-2012 06:42 AM

Anyone know how far out the AM21 will scan out when using with HR34?

I've got subchannels about 70 miles out that I want to get.

egnlsn 12-30-2012 11:15 AM

The AM-21 does not scan. It goes by what D* has in their database.

unclehonkey 12-30-2012 04:02 PM

The HR34 will scan for locals it can pick up. I have one and pick up subchannels and low powered stations that are not in the database

robrob10 02-15-2013 10:50 AM

What model DVR is your AM21 hooked up to? If you are able to add a secondary zip, you will be able to get your channel. Remember thou that your antenna signal has to be strong enough to get the channel. What is the RF channel number for 17 in Des Moines. This is what matters, as you have to match a .3 subchannel from the database to the RF channel output. The channel will be able to be watched but guide info will be wrong.

ejb1980 02-15-2013 05:30 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladle View Post

Anyone know how far out the AM21 will scan out when using with HR34?

I've got subchannels about 70 miles out that I want to get.

The HR34 is the only receiver that will scan for all channels. With the AM21, you will be able to tune to ALL the subchannels that you're able to receive OTA. You might have to run the set up a few times to get them all to show up. It takes patience and time. However, you will only see actual guide data for those channels in the database. You will be able to tune to smaller LP channels, too (As long as they're digital.) For example, in my area, the local TCT channel has 4 channels, but only two appear on the database. I have an HR24, and this is what I have:

43-1 WLXI TCT Triad (Guide data, nearly the same as ch 377, with some local stuff)
43-2 WLXI TCT HD (Guide data shown, not the same as TCT SD, local or national)
(43-3 and 43-4 do not show on the HR24/AM21 at all.)

With a HR34 and AM21, this is what you get:

43-1 WLXI TCT Triad (Guide data)
43-2 WLXI TCT HD (Guide data)
43-3 WLXI TCT Family (No Guide data, always shows "Regular Schedule" on guide)
43-4 WLXI TCT Spanish (No guide data, always shows "Regular Schedule" on guide)

You can set manual tuners for the "regular schedule" stuff.

Hope this helps and illustrates what you're asking.

robrob10 02-15-2013 10:05 PM

You could receive 43.3 and 43.4 with a HR24. Those channels map to RF43, By putting Boston MA zip code as your secondary zip it will show all of Boston's channels in database. Boston broadcast's a .3 and a .4 subchannel on RF43. So in all the channels in the Boston scan keep 44.3 and 44.4 and you can watch 43.3 and 43.3 in NC with your HR24 and AM21 on 44.3 and 44.3 from Boston. All you need is the RF channel matched to the subchannel number. The guide info will be for the actual Boston channel but you will be able to view the channel if your antenna signal is strong enough for that certain station. With an HR34 it will put any station with a strong enough signal in your guide, So if a channel doesn't show up in your guide your antenna signal probably isn;t strong enough for that certain channel.

ejb1980 02-15-2013 10:58 PM

10 Attachment(s)
I have a nearly complete set of locals from Raleigh on my AM21 with the second zip code!

robrob10 02-15-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

I have a nearly complete set of locals from Raleigh on my AM21 with the second zip code!
Cool. I just wanted to let people know that you can get channels not in the database with a HR24/AM21 by using zip codes mapping to RF channels that might not be available in your area.