OTA reception problems Chicago, IL - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2002, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also posted this in another thread...if cross posting is frowned on I apologize for spamming the boards...

Hi Folks...

Using the auto search for digital channels on my STB (Sony SAT HD100) I come up with these...3.1, 7.1, 11.1, 11.2, 32.1, 38.1, 38.2, 38.4, 38.5, 38.6, 44.1, 98.--.........

This was the first time I've gotten 3.1, however, when I tune to that channel I get no picture...it says 'searching for digital signal' with a black screen.

I was hoping to find these channels, 3, 19, 29, 31, 47, 52...

Last night I got these channels with these signals...
3 (CBS) - 50's no lock or picture
29 (NBC) - 0 no lock or picture
52 (WLS) - 80's lock and good picture
19 (WGN) - 70's lock and good picture
47 (WTTW) - 80's lock and good picture
31 (WFLD) - 15's thru 30's no lock no picture
45 (WSNS) - 80's lock and good picture

I got several other channels, but this is a pretty good picture of what I was able to receive.

I'm running 60 or 70 feet of quad shielded RG6 from my rooftop antenna (Winegard - old and showing signs of age..rust on some screws, etc.) down to my STB, no splices along the way. Straight out of my STB into my TV (Toshiba 57HX81).

As far as I can tell (short of using a compass), my antenna is pointed in the correct direction (according to antennaweb).

I'm considering using a new Radio Shack VU-90XR antenna I bought last week before I decided to give the old Winegard on my roof a fair shot. Maybe I'll see what the newer antenna can do.

Any tips or suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance...Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2002, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I switched antennas to that Radio Shack VU-90XR I had bought and that made all the difference in the world.

I can now get all my locals with signal strengths in the mid to upper 80's to mid 90's...with the exception of CBS 2 which I lock at mid 70's....all on a bad weather day here in Schaumburg (I'm assuming cloudy, overcast and on and off rain is going to effect my signal strength).

Do have one more question for the moment though...some locals I get full screen, some locals I'm getting letterboxed. I have a 16:9 TV and cannot seem to change the picture mode when I'm using the OTA antenna.

I'm sure I'll have some more questions/observations soon...thanks

Tom
Old 05-26-2002, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by STayfair
Well, I switched antennas to that Radio Shack VU-90XR I had bought and that made all the difference in the world.

I can now get all my locals with signal strengths in the mid to upper 80's to mid 90's...with the exception of CBS 2 which I lock at mid 70's....all on a bad weather day here in Schaumburg (I'm assuming cloudy, overcast and on and off rain is going to effect my signal strength).

Do have one more question for the moment though...some locals I get full screen, some locals I'm getting letterboxed. I have a 16:9 TV and cannot seem to change the picture mode when I'm using the OTA antenna.

I'm sure I'll have some more questions/observations soon...thanks

Tom
Actually cloud cover will give you better signal strength then a clear day except during downpours of course.

Some of the locals do a 14x9 stretch of the picture (which looks like crap and cuts off the top and bottom of the picture) so you are stuck with what they give you! CBS and recently FOX do their 4x3 content in 4x3 and realixe we can stretch the picture of we want with our HDTV's.