Re-Post: Is the Channel Master 4228 the Antenna For Me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-26-2002, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I figure I might get a better response on this board so I'm re-posting my thread:

"Is the Channel Master 4228 the Antenna For Me?
Just so you experts like Glenn and Jerry have the backgroung on my situation I'm re-posting a thread I started a week ago. Based on my location, about 15 miles from the broadcast towers, do you think the CM 4228 Bow Tie would provide superior reception to the JBX21?

"Although my reception of the digital locals has been fine during the fall and winter, I always experience multipath this time of year. For backround, I live in a low-lying area but have a line of sight to the towers, and have a Zenith DTV1080. To try and combat the spring vegetation:

*I started out with a Radio Shack UHF-only yagi and rotor--regardless of the orienation of the antenna, I often have a couple of dropouts an hour on St. Louis locals KTVI, KMOV and KSDK. The strange thing is that sometimes I'll go days without any dropouts and then have several a hour on certain days. No obvious weather conditions seem to contribute to this mystery.

*Then, I bought the pricey Blake JBX21 yagi that's supposed to be great at multipath rejection. It really hasn't reduced the number of dropouts or multipath. This antenna may actually provide too much gain, since I'm within 15 miles of the broadcast towers. I've been searching for a sweet spot for all stations with my rotor to no avail. I've adjusted the tilt with no significant improvement.

I also tried the RS Double Bow tie today, with no success. Regardless of how I positioned the antenna on top of my TV, the signal would bounce from good to near 0 on all local stations. If my signal bounces from great to below 50%, when dropouts occur, isn't that multipath. If so, would the 4228 on my rooftop mast be suitable. Can wind blowing leafs and/or the antenna cause dropouts? I'm leaning towards the leafs, becasue I don't have any dropouts during wind in the winter.

Do you guys agree with this quote from a AVS member, "The bow/screen antennas are much better at rejecting unwanted signals/reflections from the rear(because of the screen)." Since I have alot of trees and leafs blowing behind the antenna, would the bowtie out-perform a yagi.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Sabin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-27-2002, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Andrew,

I'm aware of an individual not far from me that, while not necessarily suffering from multipath, he has notice a marked improvement in directionaliy and rejection of unwanted signals with a CM 4228.

I don't know it's weight, dimensions or wind load but I'd be sure it was secured rather well to a sturdy mast.

Also, how have you had the Blake mounted? Roof mount? Any chance of getting on the roof if it's not already, and, if it is, can you increase the mast height?
post #3 of 3 Old 05-27-2002, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What antenna did this person use before switching to the CM 4228. I've had the Blake mounted on a eave mount. I have a 7 ft. mast with a rotor on top, and then another 6 ft. mast above the rotor which the Blake is mounted on. Initially, I had the Blake about 10" from the top of the mast, but the antenna looked unstable. Now, the Blake is probably halfway up the second mast. With my rotor set-up, it would be difficult to raise any antenna up higher. Actually, I'd say I have marginally better reception with the antenna a little lower--probably because it's more secure in the wind.

Andrew

Andrew Sabin
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page