HDTV off air reception - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-27-2002, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I have a dish network receiver with an off air card using a terk 50 powered antenna. With the antenna's pre-amp off I can just barely get a good enough signal (65-75 on the receivers meter) to view the local UHF HDTV signals. If I turn on the amp the signal is lost on all channels (0 on the meter)? Does anyone know why this is? Also, what is the max coax length I can use (unpowered) before the transmission loss is to high? Lastly, is there a source for a UHF capable signal strength meter I could use for antenna placement that does not cost an arm and a leg? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-27-2002, 06:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Terk has a bad rep around here. Channelmaster, Winegard or even Radio Shack will probably give you better results. If you can find a now discontinued Radio Shack double bow tie, you may be in luck. Amps are best at helping a good signal through a long (over 100ft of RG-6) coax run. Distribution amps help when several TVs are to be hooked up. Even good amps make decent signals better and bad signals worse. You get more of what you started with. Bad amps are abundant and do what you describe. There is more to a good signal than strength. I think you'd be better off with the meter on the receiver with a helper on the phone at the TV side. I was near enough to an open window to hear the signal tone. Do a search on antenna posts in the forum for scads of info.

Pat

While I may link to and mention products as examples, I don't recommend specific products.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page