How's off air HD reception in the ventura, ca area??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2002, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello:

I'm looking to add off the air and sat HD feeds.......but I was wondering how strong the off-air HD reception would be for the ventura, Ca area? Its about 60-75 miles.....north west of LA, along the coast. Don't wanna bother going through the hassle of setting up an antenna....if I can't get any reception. What antenna would you reccomend for good HD reception? I'm planning on getting the toshiba 3000 hd reciever.........that can handle off air HD, sat HD and regular directv reception right??

Thanks.

John :rolleyes:

jr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2002, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Its less a question of distance and more one of terrain between you and Mt. Wilson since UHF is line-of-sight. Can you receive KCET on Ch 28 ?. Even if its not perfect, that is often an indicator that you will be able to receive the digital UHF stations.

Tony
Old 05-28-2002, 01:40 PM

I receive most channels well in the Channel Islands Marina area. A little breakup on KCET, KCAL and KTTV, but KCBS, KNBC, KTLA and KABC are very solid. I'm hoping this has to do with the transmitter power being used by the weak ones.

I believe we have line of sight to Mt. Wilson and that multipath is not a problem this far out, being that L.A. stations can send microwave remotes back to their transmitter from anywhere west of Rose Avenue in the Oxnard area.

I'm using an Antenna Performance U-92 yagi feeding an RCA DTC 100.

I have a used Winegard CA 9095 yagi for sale (or borrow..if you don't bend it) cheap if you want to try it out. It was my original OTA HD antenna and I replaced it with the U-92. Didn't notice any difference but the last one up stays up.

Don't confuse information with intelligence.
Old 05-28-2002, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

wheelo:

Thanks for the advice......I'm actually located more towards santa paula........in the santa clara valley......I wonder if those mountains would hinder my reception? Is the Antenna Performance U-92 yagi considered one of the better antennas out there? What other brands would you recommend? I heard that with off air HD, you either recieve the HD reception or nothing at all.....is that true??

John

jr.