External Hard Drive with Motorola DCX3501-M - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-09-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone heard when Charter plans to give us the ability to add external hard drives to these? We are a bit upset since our Moxi is dying a slow, painful death. We want the extra recording space that we have had with our Moxi. Without it, we may have to look at other options.

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-06-2013, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have been asking Charter about this obvious customer need for years. Nobody there ever knows anything.

Comcast is allowing the attachment of external drives this year, and their customers are very happy. You might want to read this thread to see what is involved in making the upgrade:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/External-Hard-Drive-Support-for-Motorola-Scientific-Atlanta/td-p/1463565

Hopefully, somebody, someday will post news here that Charter is entering the 21st century.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Michelle,
I gave up my Moxi for this DCX 3501-M and I regret it sooo much. This new Motorola DCX is a piece of crap. I will repeat a piece of crap. Horrible menus and it takes extra pressing of buttons where Moxi only took one. It is the poorest designed interfaces and functions out there. Did you get this new DCX unit too? Let me know your experiences if you did. Charter will not return my moxi under no circumstances! I am just sick about this new DVR. Thanks
post #4 of 4 Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I spoke over phone with a Charter techy, and he claims that he was taught how to add an external drive to the DCX 3501-M during his training! For some reason, this knowledge is taught to techs, but never passed-on to us customers. He said process is "a little tricky."

I'm disgusted with Charter for leaving customers locked into this particular DVR. (The tech told me they support many DVRs, different regions of country only work with DVRs from particular vendors.) For high definition video storage, the motorola hard drive is too small. They should upgrade models every couple years..

I've had some weird problems with my DCX 3501-M. It forgets the "user settings", in particular the allowable video modes. Oddly, if I connect the DVR directly to the TV via HDMI, it doesn't seem to lose configuration. However, when I connect DVR via HDMI through a soundbar (acting as a switcher) the DVR loses configuration in an odd and unpredictable fashion.

I don't know enough about HDMI to troubleshoot this problem, and Charter techs know even less than me.

I agree with previous poster's general impression that the motorola DCX 3501-M is flaky. It does a nice job of upconverting a variety of video formats to 1080P60, that's appreciated. But the software/firmware is awkward & buggy.

BTW, what's with having to shut the sucker off just to switch user parameters, for instance turn on/off closed captioning? Dumb.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page