Best indoor antenna that will reach 35 miles? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there an indoor antenna that I can buy that will really reach 35 miles to my nearest tv station...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460 View Post

Is there an indoor antenna that I can buy that will really reach 35 miles to my nearest tv station...thanks

I don't know if it is the best but I can receive Los Angeles LOS station at 39.5 miles with a HDTVi, although I do have to re-aim or adjust the VHF antenna to get the best reception. If you can get a HDTVa, that would be better, it has an amplifier. Remember, your mileage may vary.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Considering that the theoretical limit, due to the curvature of the earth, is only around 30 miles, not likely.
The distance between points on the earth, the height of the transmitting tower and your receive antenna, and the frequency of the transmission, all factor in there....for instance, the radio Range of a signal is about 10% beyond what would be "line of sight" at most frequencies. The power of the transmitted signal, the gain of the receive antenna, and the (and, this is the modern-day bugaboo for indoor antennas) noise level of the receive location come in to play.

At 35 miles, you're not likely to get reliable signals except with at roof-top, or tower mounted antenna.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #4 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Terk HDTVa is a good choice as one of the better indoor antennas. They are sold at Fry's and HHG but cheaper online. And Clearstream 1 at Walmart and Clearstream 2 can be used as good indoor antennas, but they may not receive VHF as they are optimized for UHF. But there is a Clearstream 2 Complete version which adds a dipole for VHF. And another consideration is Mohu Leaf or Wall-tenna, but again those may be problematic for VHF. I have used an HDTVa and received signals from 75 miles, but you may need to add a barrel splice and run a longer cable to find the best spot in the room for reception.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Antennas don't "reach" anywhere. They gather the signals that happen to make it from the transmitter to the receiving location, hopefully with enough strength and quality to be be picked up by the antenna in a usable condition.

Even a great antenna in a lousy location is like buying the best house in a bad neighborhood - a terrible investment.

Be patient, and try to find the best spot for the best antenna.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460 View Post

Post your tvfool results so we can get a better idea of reception where you live (your address will not be shown).
post #7 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Post either in your local thread in this section or in HDTV Technical with your location in the subject line. Thanks.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page