Omaha / Lincoln, NE - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 9573 Old 01-04-2003, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't think there is a problem with your receive equipment, I think it is just the receive level you have. KETV-DT's transmit antenna as compared to WOWT-DT is roughly 500' lower in elevation. I believe that is the main problem. A little more power would help, but elevation is the biggest factor. This will get better in June of this year when we install our permanent antenna at the top of the tower, and increase power to 300Kw.

I just tuned to channel 20 and watched for 5 minutes and did not notice the audio dropouts. I have line of sight to the towers at 72nd street from my house, so my signal is really good.

I watched the Sound of Music Sunday night myself in surround sound, and did not have any problems. I did however notice the audio level dropped quite a bit switching from ABC in 5.1 to local. I did make some adjustments on my Dolby audio encoder on the 5.1 side this week, and I believe I have them matched between ABC in HD and local.

Warren Behrens
Chief Engineer
KETV Hearst - Argyle Television
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 9573 Old 01-04-2003, 01:02 PM

Warren,

Thank you for the info. I posted because I did not have this dropout problem until Wed Jan 1. Up until then if I got at least a solid signal of 34 I had no problems with the picture or audio.

Looking forward to that power increase in June!

Thanks again
Jeff
post #273 of 9573 Old 01-05-2003, 06:35 AM

I see Willy Wonka and Chocolate Factory is in HD tonight on KETV. Let's home the transmitters don't melt themselves... I am not sure this has ever been shown in HD before, so I really look forward to seeing this classic in HD.

Good luck, KETV!

-- Robert

Robert
post #274 of 9573 Old 01-05-2003, 10:33 AM

I am thinking about buying a UHF only antenna(currently have a RS yagi in the attic) to try to increase signal strength. I am getting an uneasy feeling about the Superbowl reception from KETV, the recent weather has made reception bad. I know Warren from KETV is doing all he can and I appreciate his contribution to this forum. I realize moving the antenna outside would be best but I would like to keep it in attic. I am going to move the antenna to the north end of the attic close to the window(A-frame type house) and experiment with opening the window during critical viewing hours(there goes the gas bill). Do UHF only work good in attics and will moving the antenna close to a wall as opposed to being centered in the attic make reception worse(reflections)? I guess to experiment is the only to find out.

Steve
post #275 of 9573 Old 01-05-2003, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
HDSteven: Where do you live in Lincoln? What do you use for a tuner? I'm curious as I have Dish's Model 6000 and can't get a lock with my Antennacraft MXU-59 yagi in the attic. I'm at 40th and Old Cheney.
post #276 of 9573 Old 01-05-2003, 07:30 PM

I live in the Havelock area(NE Lincoln), clear line of sight to the northeast out of Lincoln, which is probably better for reception out of Omaha. I have the Samsung SIRT-165 OTA tuner. Radioshack adjustable/FM trap preamp Cat. No. 15-1108A, you will need a preamp in a attic install.

Tonight the reception from KETV was good only intermitent breakup. The audio level is much better per Warren's (KETV) adjustment. WOWT has always been good. I think in June when KETV boost power and mounts the transmitter higher we will get excellent reception.

I moved my antenna to the north side of attic no change in digital reception
and more ghosting on analog channels so I will move it back to the center of the attic soon.
post #277 of 9573 Old 01-06-2003, 07:11 AM

rbwapiti,

Glad to hear that you are receiving us 70 miles out.

Jay
WOWT
post #278 of 9573 Old 01-06-2003, 09:31 AM

Jay
WOWT

Reception is always really good, no dropouts, signal meter on Samsung tuner shows about 55% for WOWT, 55% for KLKN, 45% for KETV. I wanted to ask Jay(WOWT) if you know why on my tuner WOWT's digital channel(22) remaps to 6-1? KETV stays at 20-1 and KLKN stays at 31-1. Is WOWT broadcasting their digital channel in UHF or VHF band ?

Just curious
Steve
post #279 of 9573 Old 01-06-2003, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gpflepsen
HDSteven: Where do you live in Lincoln? What do you use for a tuner? I'm curious as I have Dish's Model 6000 and can't get a lock with my Antennacraft MXU-59 yagi in the attic. I'm at 40th and Old Cheney.

Also in addition to the other info I posted about my installation, the constuction materials in your attic can effect your reception. I have no foil or metal type material or insulation/drywall in nonfinished attic.

Have you tried a preamp? A rotor helps experimenting with antenna direction, I found in the attic best reception is with antenna pointed 10-15 deg. difference from the transmitter direction info found info sites like antennaweb.org.
post #280 of 9573 Old 01-08-2003, 07:10 PM

I reported earlier in this thread that I am 70 miles from Omaha, and WOWT is "booming" in here with a signal of 93-100. I have a rotor on my outside antenna which allows me to "tweek" it. I cannot believe how sensitive it is to moving it just a minute amount. It makes a big difference. If any of you want to "fine tune" your system, add a rotor. The picture on Channel 6-1 "rocks"!!

Ron
post #281 of 9573 Old 01-08-2003, 08:46 PM

Hello, My name is Shawn and I work at Zager Antenna in Lincoln. Thanks Warren for pointing me to this site.

I just wanted to let you all know what I have been able to find out. Channel 3 KMTV (45 dig) is looking to start broadcasting in Mid Feb and will be passing HD from CBS. I got this info about a week or two ago.
Channel 10 (25 dig) is hoping for around the start of Feb also and will be passing 1080i. It has been a while since I have talked to anyone at channel 10 so I will try to get an update. I also haven't talked to anyone at 15 or 42 for some time now to know how things are going there.

Well I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

I hope this will help.
post #282 of 9573 Old 01-08-2003, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you the short guy who sold the tall guy an MXU-59 and then exchanged a Dish LNB for a DirectTV LNB in the last two months? If you were, that was me!

Glad you found this place and welcome aboard.
post #283 of 9573 Old 01-08-2003, 09:02 PM

Yes, I'm the short guy at Zager. I'm sorry that I don't remember exchanging the LNB. I guess my memory is slipping a little .
post #284 of 9573 Old 01-08-2003, 09:04 PM

Sorry don't it posted twice.

Is the antenna working for you?
post #285 of 9573 Old 01-09-2003, 08:37 AM

HDSTEVEN,

We have programmed our HD Encoder to map our HD signal to Channel 6-1 on all receivers and televisions. Even though we are broadcasting DTV on channel 22, we want our branding is still be associated with WOWT-6. We also thought it would be less confusing to the viewer as to which station they are watching.

Jay Nix
Chief Engineer
WOWT-Omaha
post #286 of 9573 Old 01-09-2003, 02:06 PM

I wish KETV would map to 7.1. Channel 20 shows up in my guide away from Channel 7 so I can't just look and see whats on it. Besides, nobody at DirecTV has figured out that 20.1 should show the same guid info as Channel 7.

Doug
post #287 of 9573 Old 01-09-2003, 02:58 PM

dehlers, Last I knew KETV wants and will be remapping to 7.1 however the sever (or equipment) that does that still hadn't come in yet. Hopefully that will be soon.

Also I did some calling today and got some updates. Channel 10 won't be until April and the same with channel 12. Channel 42 (and I think 15) is hoping for around the 20th. They said they will not be passing HD and don't know the power output they were going have.

Remember this dates are estimates. You know how the wheather can be in Nebraska.

Shawn
post #288 of 9573 Old 01-09-2003, 04:12 PM

Doug,

Shawn is correct, when I receive my PSIP package, KETV will re-map to channel 7-1 for the same reasons as Jay Nix mentions.

My encoder cannot do it without the server, as the server holds all the program tables.

Warren Behrens
Chief Engineer
post #289 of 9573 Old 01-09-2003, 11:50 PM

Thanks for the info on the channel mapping and station live dates. Too bad
Fox(43) and WB(38) won't be boadcasting any HD programming, I'm sure PBS(40) will have some HD. That would be good for Lincoln if KOLN(25) broadcasts some HD. Thanks to WOWT and KETV for broadcasting HD.
post #290 of 9573 Old 01-10-2003, 12:03 AM

To Jay(WOWT) and Warren(KETV),

Is there any plans in the near future to add programming info(Titles, Dates, time) to your broadcasts(I believe as part of your PSIP data) to be used in the program guides of digital tuners?
post #291 of 9573 Old 01-10-2003, 12:17 AM

To Warren(KETV),

Is there any way to change the big blue non transparent "Dolby Digital 5.1" logo that comes in the upper right corner of the screen to something
more like your KETV-DT logo(transparent)? Maybe just use the Dolby Digital symbol and make it transparent. The present logo you use for this is a little too much I think .
post #292 of 9573 Old 01-10-2003, 07:02 AM

On FOX and WB,

As I posted a few days ago, they are only coming up at 1kW. Not sure that will even cover all of Omaha? Almost no chance of reception in Lincoln.

Doug
post #293 of 9573 Old 01-10-2003, 10:37 AM

I forgot to say the KOLN will be pass 1080i from CBS. PBS will also be doing 1080i with some other cool stuff that I didn't quite understand. Something for the educational side and using data streams. It sound really cool and I look forward to seeing what they will be doing.

I'm also not to happy about 15 & 42. I guess I also don't like channel 8 and they weren't giving me to much information. They couldn't even give a time table for any type of improvement. So I took it as that they will be up-converting their analog for quite some time. I guess I won't be watching channel 8.

Shawn
post #294 of 9573 Old 01-10-2003, 01:35 PM

Agreed, channel 8 isn't even in my guide.

Doug
post #295 of 9573 Old 01-11-2003, 06:45 AM

HDSteven,

I placed the order Friday for the server which will deliver PSIP information to my encoder. I hope to have PSIP running within the next 30 days or so. That will be the program guide you speak of. My encoder vendor wanted to certify the Dell server I will be using first, that was the delay. I say 30 days or so as the server will be shipped to me first, I will install some boards and load the operating system, then send it off to the encoder vendor, they will install the PSIP software on it and send it back to me. Long process...

I understand the FCC has received my application to increase power from 10Kw ERP to 18.9 Kw ERP. I hope to see the authorization for this toward the end of next week. When I receive it, and "throttle up" a bit, I will post a message here.

My Dolby logo is too big, you are killing me man, that is my pride and joy...Okay, I suppose it is a little on the large side. I will see if I can tone it down a bit next week.

Warren

Warren Behrens
Chief Engineer
post #296 of 9573 Old 01-11-2003, 09:04 AM

Warren,

I think the DD5.1 logo is fine. Its only up a few seconds. Specially if its "your pride and joy!"

Doug
post #297 of 9573 Old 01-11-2003, 09:13 AM

I like the logo. I would leave it as is. Viewers are lucky to be getting the DD 5.1 feed--it's great. Heck, HDNET was not even coming across in DD 5.1 until a week or so ago and KETV was doing DD 5.1 well before that! Keep up the great work Warren and thanks for everything you are doing!

Jeff
post #298 of 9573 Old 01-11-2003, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by KETV

I understand the FCC has received my application to increase power from 10Kw ERP to 18.9 Kw ERP. I hope to see the authorization for this toward the end of next week. When I receive it, and "throttle up" a bit, I will post a message here.

Warren

That's good news! If I can help getting your power up let me know. [Super Bowl quickly approaching] As of now it's just shy of getting a lock on my receiver.

I echo the "Farwell Channel 8" sentiment.
post #299 of 9573 Old 01-11-2003, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys, this may be a stupid question, but I was wondering if the Superbowl will have digital audio stream? Obviously couldn't have 5.1 but wasn't sure about the other. Any insight? I know my digital channels from cable aren't the quality as the OTA reg digital channels....so I was wondering also if OTA audio would be better as well?
post #300 of 9573 Old 01-13-2003, 04:12 PM

Correct me if I am wrong here
WOWT-DT is now at 30 Kw?? Is that correct?
KETV-DT will soon be increased to 18.9?

WOWT-DT is signal strength is good all the time. KETV-DT is hit and miss even in the evenings. I was just trying to get an idea if this signal increase is going to give me enough confidence to invite folks over for the super bowl. I also remember hearing something about differing heights currently in the transmitters. How big a difference will this make?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page