Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 9570 Old 09-30-2002, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Doug,

I was told WOWT would not be bringing its permanent full power transmitter online until well into 2003.

John

Building our dream theater one component at a time.. Thanks AVS for years of great advice and support!

Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 9570 Old 10-01-2002, 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by johnwcookjr
Doug,

I was told WOWT would not be bringing its permanent full power transmitter online until well into 2003.

John

I think he was asking about their current transmitter. Earlier in this thread, you mentioned that their temporary transmitter quit on them and thus low signal strength. You mentioned that they were obtaining a replacement. Is the replacement in? Nobody knows.

If it is, I hope full power brings my signal strength up... sure, I am not getting drop-outs -- but 35% feels weird!

-- Robert

Robert
post #33 of 9570 Old 10-01-2002, 09:04 AM

Thanks Robert! Thats what I wanted to know. If you see it change, please post so I can resume putting large metal things on my roof!

I also spoke to an engineer at KPTM yesterday. They expect to be up and running late November early December. Hope it includes KXVO as well.

Doug
post #34 of 9570 Old 10-01-2002, 12:05 PM

Got this response the other day:

> Dear Jeff,
>
> KPTM, and KXVO, whice we operate for Mitts Telecasting, intend to begin
> DTV
> broadcasting in December, 2002. The ability to pass HD to Cox Cable,
> or to our transmitters will come at a later time.
>
> We appreciate your interest in digital television.
>
> Rick Graham
> Chief Engineer
> Pappas Telecasting of the Midlands
post #35 of 9570 Old 10-01-2002, 12:52 PM

We currently have all of the solid state amplifiers operational in the transmitter. The unit has been running without faults for a week now.

When notified of the audio delay during our news, we added an additional 30miliseconds to address the issue. Keep me informed if any additional audio delay occurs.

I was informed "Conan" had a delay, but I feel that is Networks problem. The rest of our upconverted signal is good so I will contact NBC.

NBC changed the data delivery scheme on the GE1 satellite (new name is AMC-1) which our HD satellite receiver did not like. From what I have been hearing, multiple NBC stations are in the same boat. I have it working at the moment but my confidence is low during rain-fade situations. I expect NBC to send a revised software scheme to tighten the receivers capabilities.

Viewers may notice a non-switch into HD programming. When that occurs our operators are manually making the hard switch. Our traffic computer is having difficulty communicting with our automation software on the command. The vendor is working on the patch.

Happing viewing!
Jay
WOWT
post #36 of 9570 Old 10-01-2002, 01:00 PM

For those viewers in Lincoln who are experiencing viewing problems, the FOX channel 22 translator (in Lincoln but fed out of Kearney) is interfering. They are planning on re-channelizing to a different frequency.

Jay
post #37 of 9570 Old 10-02-2002, 06:13 AM

Jay,

Any idea when they will re-channelize? 18 is the same feed down here, maybe I'll try a more directional yagi...

Thanks,
Doug
post #38 of 9570 Old 10-03-2002, 06:19 AM

I will give them a call today. They have been expecting this for 2 years so it shouldn't have caught them off-guard.

Jay
post #39 of 9570 Old 10-03-2002, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Jay,

Thanks for contributing to this thread. You wouldn't by any chance be able to kick the local CBS and ABC affiliates in the butt, would you? If you know any of those folks personally pass on that we're rooting for them and to come on in, the waters fine.

The Tonight Show with Jackie Chan last night was quite enjoyable. Thank you for your efforts in bringing WOWT-D online.

John

Building our dream theater one component at a time.. Thanks AVS for years of great advice and support!

Come visit The Pit
post #40 of 9570 Old 10-04-2002, 06:19 AM

For Lincoln viewers,

22 appears to be off the air here in Lincoln. I got my first rock solid WOWT DTV picture last night.

Doug
post #41 of 9570 Old 10-05-2002, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Doug,

That's amazing and promising. I'm glad to hear that you're able to receive WOWT-D here in Omaha. What type of antenna/amplifiers are you using and how high is it mounted?

Are any of the Lincoln channels up and running yet?

John

Come visit The Pit
post #42 of 9570 Old 10-07-2002, 06:29 AM

John,

I am using a medium sized antenna, VHF and UHF. It also has a pre-amp attached to the antenna, I think 25dB gain.

KLKN-DT which is the ABC afiliate is on the air here. They however do not yet have the equipment to pass HDTV.

As of now, these are two that I get.

Doug
post #43 of 9570 Old 10-07-2002, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Doug,

Will your ABC affiliate be turning the HD switch on soon?

How high up is your antenna mounted?

John

Come visit The Pit
post #44 of 9570 Old 10-08-2002, 12:52 PM

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable, so will pose this to you, or anyone who views this thread.

I was going to watch CSI-Miami last night (Monday 10/7) I went to Cox KMTV HD channel with my decoder switched on and the picture was in a 4:3 format. The decoder box showed an HD signal, but it failed to fill my screen. I have the 16:9 34XBR 800 and thought something was wrong with the set or decoder. I switched to HBO-HD and the picture filled the screen. I then tried Showtime, and the picture was filling the screen on this channel also. I again switched back to KMTV-HD and still had the black bars on each side. I had this problem one other time when I first got the set, but attributed it to not understanding how it all works.

I do not know if this helps, but will mention it anyway. I will try to be concise and to the point though. I have my Cox digital box hooked to video 1 using an S-Video cable. There is a high speed data link cable that connects from the digital box to the HD-Decoder. The Decoder box is connected with component cables to Video 6. When I watch HD I have to switch to video 6 from video 1. Usually I use the Cox remote to pull up the guide and go to the HD channels. When you hit select, a window pops up telling you to press the exit button to receive HD. I do that and then switch the TV to video 6. Normally, when you hit the exit button, the screen goes black and then I switch to video 6, but before I switch to video 6, I can hear the sound only. Last night, when I hit the exit button, my screen not only went black, but I lost the sound also (on video 1). When I checked HBO-HD and Showtime the sound remained on video 1 till I switched to video 6.
I probably should be posting this question in another forum, but felt that anyone with the Cox system here might be better able to answer this. I really do not know how many people there are in Omaha who use a decoder box, let alone on this thread, but thought I would give it a shot.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to shed some light on this. I have been watching for over a month now, and am still awed by the beauty and clarity of HD.
post #45 of 9570 Old 10-08-2002, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WOWT
I will give them a call today. They have been expecting this for 2 years so it shouldn't have caught them off-guard.

Jay

Howdy Jay,

Nice to hear from you again. You and I shared some emails about two years ago when you worked for KMTV. I heard you were at WOWT a few months ago. Glad you're still into HD!

WOWT is coming in well, as I've mentioned in previous postings.

Still only getting 30-35% signal in the Millard area, but there are no breakups.

Thanks for all your hard work, Jay! If you don't mind my asking... what happened at KMTV that made you switch?

-- Robert

Robert
post #46 of 9570 Old 10-10-2002, 09:26 AM

John,

Sorry for the slow response...

KLKN8 told me that they requested the HDTV equipment for next years capitol budget. Beyond that, I have no idea. I hope either they or KETV make it before the SuperBowl!

My antenna is about 30ft above the ground. Single story ranch house with it mounted about 6-7 ft above the roof line. Fairly high point in Lincoln.

Doug
post #47 of 9570 Old 10-11-2002, 10:56 AM

Mike at KMTV returned my call today and lifted the load quite a bit. He said the problem with CSI-Miami on Monday was a station problem, their decoder did not properly pick up the signal. So, at least it was not an equipment problem on my end.

I am thankful that Cox does as good a job as they do. I know that some knock them quite a bit, but by and large, I have always been happy with their service.

The High Definition programs are SOOOO worth watching.

I wonder how many people in the Omaha area are viewing HD? When I purchased my TV and decoder, the salesman said they had just received a shipment of the HD200`s and had been back ordered for a while. Cox does not actively promote HD and the tech people here are not knowledgeable concerning it.

I guess I should be happy that I am getting it at all!
post #48 of 9570 Old 10-13-2002, 05:28 PM

Does anyone know when COX will pick up local HDTV stations other than KMTV?

Adam
post #49 of 9570 Old 10-14-2002, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Lincoln-

I talked to Zager Antenna Systems today about getting a UHF to pull in WOWT. They seemed confident I could get it with an attic mounted Antenna Craft MXU59. Come on Omaha, I'm pulling for you guys to ALL be up and running!

Channel 8 (ABC) here seems to be doing just the minimum to qualify as a DTV broadcaster. They are on the air with a weak signal barely covering Lincoln.

KOLN/KGIN 10/11 is in the proccess of beefing their Beaver Crossiing tower for the installation of the heavier equipment. Hopefully they will be up by next fall. When they do go on it wil be full power with all the HDTV passed through from CBS.

I plan on having my system put together by Christmas. I never though I'd see the day when HDTV would be here.

Gerry P
Lincoln
post #50 of 9570 Old 10-15-2002, 03:10 PM

From what I have heard, the race is on between KPTM-KXVO and KMTV in Omaha to be next. Although judging by pushlished dates, KPTM-KXVO should win.

Doug
Lincoln, NE
post #51 of 9570 Old 10-15-2002, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Doug,

KPTM won't be supporting HD, the best you can expect from them is 480p, unless FOX has changed their marketing scheme. I don't know much about KXVO, do any of the WB affiliates broadcast in1080i or 720p?

Considering the lack of HD from FOX, KMTV is literally the only HD broadcaster getting ready to go online soon.

Crossing my fingers...

John

Come visit The Pit
post #52 of 9570 Old 10-16-2002, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by johnwcookjr

Considering the lack of HD from FOX, KMTV is literally the only HD broadcaster getting ready to go online soon.

John

What about WOWT? I thought they were passing the NBC HD. Granted NBC doesn't have much content....yet.

When will KMTV light the candle?
post #53 of 9570 Old 10-16-2002, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't know about KMTV, the current rumors are Nov1.

Here's an update from KETV:

"Good Morning Everyone,

Just an update on our plan's at KETV.

We have changed our on-air date to November 1, 2002. We will be going on
the air low power with roughly 10Kw ERP.

I have received the low power antenna and will be installing this on the
tower this week. The DTV transmitter will be powered up and proofed by
Harris next week.

We might have some test signals on the air next week sometime if all goes
as planned.

Thanks
Warren
Chief Engineer KETV"

Now that's good news. Could KETV and KMTV both light up their tower on that Friday?

John

Come visit The Pit
post #54 of 9570 Old 10-16-2002, 08:30 AM

John,

Just got the same email from KETV. Not sure if I'll be able to get it at that power level in Lincoln, but I'll try.

As far as KPTM. You are correct FOX doesn't do much. But 480P widescreen football is better than nothing. KXVO, as part of WB, does have several shows in HD. Including Everwood and Smallville. Hopefully they will pass them.

Doug
post #55 of 9570 Old 10-16-2002, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

To paraphrase Warren "We might have some test signals on the air next week sometime if all goes as planned.", well it's now snowing outside, I wonder if Warren planned on it snowing.

Geesh...never a break.

John

Come visit The Pit
post #56 of 9570 Old 10-16-2002, 09:09 AM

That is great to hear about both KMTV and KETV. I can hardly wait to have all three networks pumping out HDTV.

How did you guys get on the KETV email list?

I just bought a HDTV receiver a week ago and have been loving the NBC broadcasts. The picture quality from WOWT is outstanding, and I haven't had andy problems with the signal.

Thanks for the info and the great thread.

Mike
post #57 of 9570 Old 10-16-2002, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mike,

I ended up on Warren's list by writing to him via the station manager link provided on KETVs website.

Doug,

If memory serves, when WOWT was having temporary transmitter problems last month, Jay listed those transmitters as being 5kW solid state transmitters with an ERP of 37kW.

Warren is stating 10Kw ERP. Cross your fingers.

John

Come visit The Pit
post #58 of 9570 Old 10-16-2002, 03:41 PM

Well, I can't say that this is good or bad news...

If KETV is broadcasting at that low of power, I really doubt I'll be getting that signal out here in Millard.

I get WOWT at 30-35% with a double double-bow-tie outside.

-- Robert

Robert
post #59 of 9570 Old 10-16-2002, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Robert,

I too have the Rat Shack double bow tie however it doesn't work as well for me as the Rat Shack stick antenna mounted in the attic.

Once KXVO goes online I'll probably to upgrade to some sort of UHF Yagi on a rotor. I suspect my stick antenna will be too directional for me to pick up KXVO on a side lobe while pointing north from Papillion torwards the Crown Point.

Maybe the stick on a rotor would work? Hmm, small incremental steps, $50 bucks at a time.

John

Come visit The Pit
post #60 of 9570 Old 10-17-2002, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A further update:

"
Good Morning John,

Long story about the co-locate with KMTV. The short version is, we
contacted Dielectric once again to see if we could replace the antenna at
the top of my tower, with a dual band antenna (channel 7 & 20). They just
came out with a new antenna which is two antenna's in the same aperture.
That means the antenna pole itself is two antenna's in one.

Did the structural analysis and the new antenna is the same wind loading
and ice loading as the original, actually a little better. So we jumped
ship and decided to do this on our tower.

That said, I quickly had my DTV transmitter installed and was getting ready
to be on the air next year by May as this new antenna takes 9 months to
manufacture. It will not be ready to ship until February or March of 2003.

Since we were so close to being ready having the DTV transmitter here, we
decided to see if Dielectric had a light weight low power antenna. They do
and I ordered it. We will side mount that antenna on the tower and cover
what is called city grade. We will do low power until lets say June of
next year when we take the channel 7 antenna off the top of my tower, and
install the new 7 & 20 antenna. Once that is installed, I will go to 1/2
my licensed power.

Anyway, the low power antenna is being hung today if the weather
co-operates. Dielectric will be out Friday to sweep the new antenna.
Harris is out next week to proof the DTV transmitter. So if all goes well,
I should have test signals on the air by the end of the week.

I will e-mail you when we test, that is no problem.

By the way, when ABC is giving us programming in HD, we will pass that
through, and have the audio in full Dolby D 5.1 channels of audio.

Thanks
Warren
"

Next week is looking promising.

John

Come visit The Pit
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page