Omaha / Lincoln, NE - HDTV - Page 248 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7411 of 9591 Old 05-02-2009, 06:45 AM
Senior Member
 
PAULSTORM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.nebraska.tv/Global/story.asp?S=10286802

NTV Back on DirecTV in Mid-May

Good news for our NTV audience.
Within a couple of weeks, NTV will be on the channel line-up for DirecTV HD subscribers in central and western Nebraska.
DirecTV will begin carrying the NTV digital high-def signal by about May 13th.
Since last fall, DirecTV subscribers who upgraded to HD service have not had NTV's signal.
This announcement ends months of negotiation.
"It's been a long process. Since last fall subscribers who upgraded to digital service have not been able to get our signal. Now everyone will be able to get it," NTV General Manager Vince Barresi.
Attorney General Jon Bruning got involved after numerous NTV viewers complained about not
seeing the signal on DirecTV.
PAULSTORM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7412 of 9591 Old 05-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Senior Member
 
JoelWNelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

you would think if that's the reason TWC would also be dropped?

Except that The Weather Channel (SD) was carried prior to the addition of 7.2, so was probably a pre-existing agreement. The thing is that I don't believe TWCHD has local content, so TWCHD would be for HD versions of their weather programming such as "Storm Stories". That doesn't compete with 7.2 as WeatherNow doesn't run that sort of programming.
JoelWNelson is offline  
post #7413 of 9591 Old 05-02-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ajwees41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 2,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Omaha View Post

Why doesn't Cox carry The Weather Channel HD? We have all the rest of the NBC/Universal HD channels, don't we? I checked and at least some other Cox systems carry it. My guess is that Cox had some sort of agreement with KETV after the change awhile back when they dropped TWC's Weatherscan and picked up KETV's Weather Now.

We don't have SleuthHD, we also don't have the SD version.
ajwees41 is offline  
post #7414 of 9591 Old 05-05-2009, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ajwees41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 2,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Omaha is waiting for the weather channel to have weather on the 8's in HD before they revisit adding the HD channel.
ajwees41 is offline  
post #7415 of 9591 Old 05-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Senior Member
 
JoelWNelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

Omaha is waiting for the weather channel to have weather on the 8's in HD before they revisit adding the HD channel.

It's coming... eventually. Cablevision in New York City tested it last fall (link)
JoelWNelson is offline  
post #7416 of 9591 Old 05-05-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ajwees41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 2,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWNelson View Post

It's coming... eventually. Cablevision in New York City tested it last fall (link)

I think we just need to wait for Omaha to get the hardware to do the 8's and then they will revisit it.
ajwees41 is offline  
post #7417 of 9591 Old 05-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Member
 
HDNewbie1028's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just counted it up and we have 57 HD channels, including the 4 premium HD channels. Over 1/2 way to the goal of 100 channels by the end of this year if I'm not mistaken.
HDNewbie1028 is offline  
post #7418 of 9591 Old 05-06-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ajwees41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 2,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNewbie1028 View Post

I just counted it up and we have 57 HD channels, including the 4 premium HD channels. Over 1/2 way to the goal of 100 channels by the end of this year if I'm not mistaken.

one problem cox said 100 hd by the end of 08 not 09.
ajwees41 is offline  
post #7419 of 9591 Old 05-06-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ajwees41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 2,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
who thinks cox will run an ad in the OWH again for the IPTV channel change?

looks like IPTV channel 13 on cox is already letter boxed most of the time.
ajwees41 is offline  
post #7420 of 9591 Old 05-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Member
 
HDNewbie1028's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

one problem cox said 100 hd by the end of 08 not 09.

Yeah, I know.

(still waiting for ESPNU in HD, which only one satellite system carries)
HDNewbie1028 is offline  
post #7421 of 9591 Old 05-07-2009, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ajwees41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 2,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is cox channel 122 supposed to be showing something today or weekend?
ajwees41 is offline  
post #7422 of 9591 Old 05-08-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ajwees41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 2,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ajwees41 is offline  
post #7423 of 9591 Old 05-11-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ScottChez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDNet and HDnet Movies is one of the reasons why I dont have cable and I have SAT today. It watch these two channels a lot.

Sounds like Cox will be worth looking at again once they add HDnet AND there new Guide software. Things are looking really good for Cox late summer/fall. Lots of improvements.

QUESTION: do they have a lot of free HD content on demand? Or is it just the movie channels and PPV in HD on demand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...608675&page=32

looks like HDNET is coming.

ScottChez is offline  
post #7424 of 9591 Old 05-11-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ajwees41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 2,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottChez View Post

HDNet and HDnet Movies is one of the reasons why I dont have cable and I have SAT today. It watch these two channels a lot.

Sounds like Cox will be worth looking at again once they add HDnet AND there new Guide software. Things are looking really good for Cox late summer/fall. Lots of improvements.

QUESTION: do they have a lot of free HD content on demand? Or is it just the movie channels and PPV in HD on demand?

it's the same networks that we have in hd except for the locals and they have dew hd whatever that is.
ajwees41 is offline  
post #7425 of 9591 Old 05-11-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ScottChez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I mean when you go to Cox on Demand and watch shows instantly how much of it is in HD. When I had it a few years ago, nothing was in HD except for PPV.

Example
Is all of Starz on Demand in HD?
Is the National Geo channel on demand in HD, or is it mostly SD.
What about there new Local Network on Demand, any of it in HD?

I ask because
On demand in HD for instant watching is something SAT really cant do as they require you to down load everything from the slow internet.




Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

it's the same networks that we have in hd except for the locals and they have dew hd whatever that is.

ScottChez is offline  
post #7426 of 9591 Old 05-11-2009, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ajwees41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 2,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottChez View Post

I mean when you go to Cox on Demand and watch shows instantly how much of it is in HD. When I had it a few years ago, nothing was in HD except for PPV.

Example
Is all of Starz on Demand in HD?
Is the National Geo channel on demand in HD, or is it mostly SD.
What about there new Local Network on Demand, any of it in HD?

I ask because
On demand in HD for instant watching is something SAT really cant do as they require you to down load everything from the slow internet.

only stuff in the HD category in the ondemand area is in HD I don't know about Straz HD on demand, but there is no Natinal GEO HD on demand. ABC has HD in the Network area ondemand.
ajwees41 is offline  
post #7427 of 9591 Old 05-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Senior Member
 
PAULSTORM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NTV's GM discusses all the hubub on getting NTV-HD on Directv's lineup for a sched date of tomorrow (5/13). Even had to get Jon Bruning and the congressional delegation involved:

http://www.nebraska.tv/global/video/...o&rnd=22816092
PAULSTORM is offline  
post #7428 of 9591 Old 05-13-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ajwees41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 2,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cox free HBO/Cinemax all channels and ondemand and HD free June 12-15
In today's OWH page B5
ajwees41 is offline  
post #7429 of 9591 Old 05-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Senior Member
 
PAULSTORM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NTV-HD (KHGI-Kearney Ch 13) is now in the Directv HD Locals pkg. You may have to pick the correct Ch 13 if you still have the 2 dish system.
PAULSTORM is offline  
post #7430 of 9591 Old 05-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Opusnbill7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Lincoln, NE USA
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KTVG was uplinked today on Dish in HD. Of course, when/if it will be "turned on" is anybody's guess. Hopefully soon?
Opusnbill7 is offline  
post #7431 of 9591 Old 05-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Senior Member
 
rmalbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I know this has been reported here already but I just noticed it's actually on Cox's HD channel lineup: 713 Iowa PBS (coming June 12)
That's a real good sign.
rmalbers is offline  
post #7432 of 9591 Old 05-16-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ajwees41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 2,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalbers View Post

I know this has been reported here already but I just noticed it's actually on Cox's HD channel lineup: 713 Iowa PBS (coming June 12)
That's a real good sign.

why is that a good sign? it was planed for the orignal analog cutoff date. I wonder why the didn't change channel 13 to channel 113 and 114 and 115 are also coming then.
ajwees41 is offline  
post #7433 of 9591 Old 05-17-2009, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ajwees41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 2,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Caller id menu on the cox dvr

looks like Omaha might be getting ready to launch caller id on the tv. press menu and then a and there is now a caller id option.
ajwees41 is offline  
post #7434 of 9591 Old 05-19-2009, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa (We'll be back)
Posts: 2,113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
UPDATE:

KMTV, which currently transmits DT through a side-mount antenna, apparently wants to keep doing so.

It originally wanted to move the side-mount UHF DT antenna to the top of the tower, where the analog channel 3 antenna currently sits. But an application just filed with the FCC seeks to modify KMTV's construction permit to "eliminate the need to undertake the costly process of replacing the present top-mounted analog antenna."

"The proposed facilities are predicted to serve 98.6% of the population which is predicted to be served by KMTV-DT's present DTV construction permit facilities," the station wrote in its application.

Not sure how this will affect you, but I just thought you should know.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
dline is offline  
post #7435 of 9591 Old 05-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Member
 
HuskerMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Considering the financial problems Journal has, I'm not surprised. I don't know how KM-3's signal stretches in other directions, but in Columbus, KMTV is the strongest Omaha signal. So it's not like the current setup isn't working pretty well.

BTW, I recently added an AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna, pointed towards Lincoln, to plug into my ChannelMaster 7777. It bumped my KUON-12 reception up from 25% to near 100%, and KOLN-10 comes in about 90% of the time. I'm located at 150th & Dodge, but with trees and a hill to the west, so I'm pretty happy. Now I just have to wait for KLKN-8 to switch their digital signal to 8 (and for KETV-7 to shut down analog) to fill out my channel lineup.
HuskerMike is offline  
post #7436 of 9591 Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Opusnbill7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Lincoln, NE USA
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Heard a rumor that KTVG might be getting lit up tomorrow on Dish in HD for those of us in the Lincoln DMA. Lets hope that it's true!
Opusnbill7 is offline  
post #7437 of 9591 Old 05-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Senior Member
 
dvansowhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KM-3 comes in well for me at 43 mi. so I do not see any problem with their signal. My tv signal quality meter shows it at about 80 to 85 day or night. I am using a Winegard 7698 for reception and it has to look through trees to get omaha stations. OTA can be hard to receive depending on your location and the right antenna. I am running no amp so am pleased with what I receive.
dvansowhat is offline  
post #7438 of 9591 Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Senior Member
 
PAULSTORM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opusnbill7 View Post

Heard a rumor that KTVG might be getting lit up tomorrow on Dish in HD for those of us in the Lincoln DMA. Lets hope that it's true!

Yup! 4 pm Central on Wed 5/20!
PAULSTORM is offline  
post #7439 of 9591 Old 05-20-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gpflepsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NE
Posts: 1,696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerMike View Post

Considering the financial problems Journal has, I'm not surprised. I don't know how KM-3's signal stretches in other directions, but in Columbus, KMTV is the strongest Omaha signal. So it's not like the current setup isn't working pretty well.

BTW, I recently added an AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna, pointed towards Lincoln, to plug into my ChannelMaster 7777. It bumped my KUON-12 reception up from 25% to near 100%, and KOLN-10 comes in about 90% of the time. I'm located at 150th & Dodge, but with trees and a hill to the west, so I'm pretty happy. Now I just have to wait for KLKN-8 to switch their digital signal to 8 (and for KETV-7 to shut down analog) to fill out my channel lineup.

How is your antenna installation? I'm just west of Neb City and was thinking 10-11 and 8 were beyond any reasonable chance of reception.
gpflepsen is offline  
post #7440 of 9591 Old 05-21-2009, 06:32 AM
Member
 
HDNewbie1028's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

Caller id menu on the cox dvr

looks like Omaha might be getting ready to launch caller id on the tv. press menu and then a and there is now a caller id option.

Had a call come in last night, but it didn't pop up on the tv so I'm assuming they're still in the process of getting it up and running? The default in the menu is set to on, so I assumed it was already working, but apparently not.
HDNewbie1028 is offline  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off