post #8941 of 9599 Old 02-18-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersa View Post

I finally got the plus pack channels activated. A call to customer care a few weeks ago only resulted in never ending trouble shooting and finally a promise that it'd work in 5 minutes, which it didn't and I gave up...

Today I returned a box to the Cox store at Village Pointe and asked them to activate the Plus Pack. After some discussions between the reps, they finally got convinced it was OK and when I got home everything was working as expected. Thanks for the tip jrfendrick!

/Anders

do you have a tivo or other cable card device?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8942 of 9599 Old 02-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have two cable cards - one sit in an old ati ocur and the second one sits in a silicondust hdhomerun prime. I use windows 7 with media center to watch and record cable. Works pretty well.
post #8943 of 9599 Old 02-18-2012, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In regards to using hdprime with windows 7 do you use an xbox 360 as an extender or do you have an htpc set up on your tv? Thinking using as hdprime will be better than going whole home dvr from cox, but not sure on set up I want to use. Currently have cox HD dvr plus 2 HD receivers. Not necessarily interested in streaming to all tv set ups. Looking for more dvr space and a better looking guide mainly. Any advice would be appreciated.
post #8944 of 9599 Old 02-19-2012, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have two cable cards - one sit in an old ati ocur and the second one sits in a silicondust hdhomerun prime. I use windows 7 with media center to watch and record cable. Works pretty well.

What did they do to add the extra HD on? Is there a fee?
post #8945 of 9599 Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNewbie1028 View Post

In regards to using hdprime with windows 7 do you use an xbox 360 as an extender or do you have an htpc set up on your tv? Thinking using as hdprime will be better than going whole home dvr from cox, but not sure on set up I want to use. Currently have cox HD dvr plus 2 HD receivers. Not necessarily interested in streaming to all tv set ups. Looking for more dvr space and a better looking guide mainly. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have two HTPCs that share the hdhomerun prime. They also share an older hdhomerun clear qam tuner (2 tuners) for the locals. In addition, one PC has the old ATI OCUR card plus an OTA HD tuner. That PC is my main DVR.

I have an XBOX360 that I use as an extender at one TV in the basement and also a linksys extender in the bedroom that I use occasionally.

Overall I'm pleased with the performance. I can obviously record a ton of shows as I have a total of 8 tuners in the house (4 cable and 4 clear QAM/OTA) and only limited in space with the amount of HDD space I throw at it.

One needs to be aware though that it is PCs that you use with all that it entails in terms of reliability and availability.

Case in point - my wife still uses the Cox DVR for all her TV watching and time shifting.
post #8946 of 9599 Old 02-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

What did they do to add the extra HD on? Is there a fee?

They added some kind of code to my account. They said it won't cost any extra.
post #8947 of 9599 Old 02-19-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They added some kind of code to my account. They said it won't cost any extra.

I'd watch your next few bills
post #8948 of 9599 Old 02-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

I sure will. It's not something I want to pay extra for.
post #8949 of 9599 Old 02-19-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:

I'd watch your next few bills

When my Plus Pak channels were activated, it showed a new entry in the "recent activity" on my account for HBO Plus, with a charge of 0.00. The next bill was the same amount as before.
post #8950 of 9599 Old 02-19-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the tip jrfendrick!

/Anders

Glad to help.

By any chance, do you subscribe to the Sports and Information Pak? If so, are you receiving DIY HD?
post #8951 of 9599 Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfendrick View Post

Glad to help.

By any chance, do you subscribe to the Sports and Information Pak? If so, are you receiving DIY HD?

At the moment I don't subscribe to the sports package. DIY HD does not work.
post #8952 of 9599 Old 02-20-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbit112 View Post

Just had an odd occurance this morning while doing a OTA rescan. Picked up KMEG out of Sioux City for a couple of seconds. It's gone now but am going to try another rescan to see if it shows up again.

I'm located midtown, south of Center on 42nd near Bancroft. Using 2 basic indoor non-amped antennas with a combiner.

'Back in the day' it was fun to 'DX' with an AM radio and see how far away a station you could receive. I remember picking up KOA from Denver several times. If the atmospheric conditions are favorable, you can pickup distant TV stations too. In the late 70s I recall picking up XEG from Mexico City, and a TV station in Billings Montana.

Since ATSC, the only stations I have seen from far away were from Sioux Falls, South Dakota. KSFY as I recall, was one of them. No more often than it is going to happen, you may not want to clutter up your channel list with stations that will only come in a few times a year.

Also, some TVs will erase all existing channels every time you scan, some will let you keep what you have and add more. The latter is more friendly to folks that have antenna rotators, since you would otherwise have to rescan every time you moved the rotator. Funny, ain't it, that in 2012 some TV manufacturers are clueless as to how their products might be used? The dreaded converter boxes came both ways too, some worked great with a rotator and others were awful. And even some professional installers would couple a clunky converter box with a big antenna and rotator set up.
post #8953 of 9599 Old 02-20-2012, 08:24 AM

Liked: 18
I've picked up all the full-power Sioux City and Des Moines stations over ATSC before, including religious channels 34 and 39 which are lower powered and not from the main Alleman tower farm. Back in the analog era I got channels 11, 13, 17, and 29 out of central NE... all the full-powered Sioux Falls and Topeka stations... KMBC out of KC... KTIN in Fort Dodge... My better catches have been with NOAA Weather Radio though, where over the years I've caught signals from places like Bassett, Nebraska; Halls Summit, Kansas; Lancaster, Missouri; Lake Rathbun, Iowa; and -- last summer -- Woodward, Oklahoma.

DX'ing is still possible -- just not anywhere near as easy with TV as it used to be. There are fewer stations, and the signal strength required to lock in a digital signal often isn't enough even in otherwise good DXing conditions. Back in the day, a fuzzy and black-and-white logo bug or ID screen was all it took to constitute receiving/identifying a signal. That sort of reception wouldn't even be enough to get the call letters on a digital TV's PSIP display.
post #8954 of 9599 Old 02-20-2012, 09:45 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

At the moment I don't subscribe to the sports package. DIY HD does not work.

FWIW: I subscribe and I just noticed that I'm not getting DIY HD on my cable card Sony TV. The channel is mapped but I get 'No Signal'. BUT, I don't get it DIY HD on my Cox HD cable box either. (I do get DIY 206 on cable card TV and the COX cable box.) I guess the DIY HD channel is just not ready yet, at least in my area. Same is true with the Cooking HD channel.
post #8955 of 9599 Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalbers View Post

FWIW: I subscribe and I just noticed that I'm not getting DIY HD on my cable card Sony TV. The channel is mapped but I get 'No Signal'. BUT, I don't get it DIY HD on my Cox HD cable box either. (I do get DIY 206 on cable card TV and the COX cable box.) I guess the DIY HD channel is just not ready yet, at least in my area. Same is true with the Cooking HD channel.

you will not get them on your current Motorola boxes. You need either a whole home dvr or a tivo with cable cards or a 1Ghz pc tuner with cable cards and the Plus pack added to your cox account.
post #8956 of 9599 Old 02-20-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:

you will not get them on your current Motorola boxes. You need either a whole home dvr or a tivo with cable cards or a 1Ghz pc tuner with cable cards and the Plus pack added to your cox account.

Ok, I got it (now). Cox doesn't have those channels 'labled' correctly on the channel list on their web site (they are not marked as plus pak channels).
post #8957 of 9599 Old 02-20-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I got it (now). Cox doesn't have those channels 'labled' correctly on the channel list on their web site (they are not marked as plus pak channels).

they are marked in the pdf http://ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residentia...ineup_0212.pdf
post #8958 of 9599 Old 02-20-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogon13 View Post

If the atmospheric conditions are favorable, you can pickup distant TV stations too. In the late 70s I recall picking up XEG from Mexico City, and a TV station in Billings Montana.

When I lived in Kearney about ten years ago, I was occasionally able to receive KPTM and KXVO, on their old analog stations, using just an old indoor antenna. Funny enough, I couldn't even get KHAS at the time!
post #8959 of 9599 Old 02-21-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWNelson View Post

DX'ing is still possible -- just not anywhere near as easy with TV as it used to be. There are fewer stations, and the signal strength required to lock in a digital signal often isn't enough even in otherwise good DXing conditions. Back in the day, a fuzzy and black-and-white logo bug or ID screen was all it took to constitute receiving/identifying a signal. That sort of reception wouldn't even be enough to get the call letters on a digital TV's PSIP display.

Understand about DX'ing, just never expected to experience it with digital TV. Haven't seen the KMEG signal since the first time though.

When talking am radio DX'ing, I would pick up Omaha am stations in Bemidji, MN early in the morning when I was visiting there in the winter.
post #8960 of 9599 Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Here in Kearney, I have picked up the digital signals of Cedar Rapids and KC for some of my long distance pickups. I can remember as a kid in the 70s or 80s picking up Corpus Christi once from our farm in Central Nebraska.
post #8961 of 9599 Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULSTORM View Post

Here in Kearney, I have picked up the digital signals of Cedar Rapids and KC for some of my long distance pickups. I can remember as a kid in the 70s or 80s picking up Corpus Christi once from our farm in Central Nebraska.

That's funny... my best DX story is when visiting Corpus Christi 15 years ago in March, I picked up KRVN 880 out of Lexington and could listen to the Huskers! Warm Gulf air really helps tropospheric ducting.
post #8962 of 9599 Old 02-21-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULSTORM View Post

Just curious...in the seven years I lived in Kearney, I could never get KHAS OTA - granted, most of the time I only had an old indoor antenna, but also had a satellite dish-mounted external antenna for a couple of years. (DirecTV added the locals about a year after I moved to Omaha.) Has KHAS's signal improved with the conversion to digital, or do you still need a huge aerial to get it in Kearney?
post #8963 of 9599 Old 02-21-2012, 06:57 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Just curious...in the seven years I lived in Kearney, I could never get KHAS OTA - granted, most of the time I only had an old indoor antenna, but also had a satellite dish-mounted external antenna for a couple of years. (DirecTV added the locals about a year after I moved to Omaha.) Has KHAS's signal improved with the conversion to digital, or do you still need a huge aerial to get it in Kearney?

Someone who lives in Kearney should give a more definitive answer but I know when I was in Kearney in 2010 I scanned with a pair of rabbit ears and a UHF loop antenna and I could not get KHAS. It only showed up with about 20% signal. They transmit at much lower power than they did with analog TV, and on channel 5 you basically need an aerial.

I did get their signal in Giltner using just basic rabbit ears though. Contrast that to KNOP in North Platte which I had a ton of difficulty locking in at a distance of only about 4 miles from the tower.
post #8964 of 9599 Old 02-22-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:

Ditto this. Make sure you get a red Motorola card.

Also, I called 1-888-556-1193 to activate. Jon at 80th and Dodge was helpful with activating the Plus Pack channels.

Well, I'm not having much luck, I've called three times. They say they have sent the card all the required signals. It's working sort of, I get all the clear QAM channels but all the other digital channels I get 'not-subscribed', for example channel 123 works but channel 1066 doesn't:
20120222-15:13:21 CableCARD: Tuner0: vchannel 123 (697MHz-3) access = subscribed
20120222-15:13:26 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 1066 (793MHz-3) access = not-subscribed
All my signals are 100% and I can see Mbps transmitting when I tune the channel but I get the Not Subscribed message after a few seconds. The COX guy said I should call Tivo, LOL!
EDIT: I think I see the problem but I don't know how to tell them what to do to fix it: On the Conditional Access screen I see 'Auth: MP'. That means 'Another error
sometimes seen is Auth:MP, which means that a message that is supposed to be in the activation stream coming from the headend is missing.'
Now how do I explain that to COX?

Well, they are going to send a truck out in the morning, that will be interesting. None of the phone 'techs' at Cox seem to really care much about 'solving' an issue.
post #8965 of 9599 Old 02-22-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Well, I'm not having much luck, I've called three times. They say they have sent the card all the required signals. It's working sort of, I get all the clear QAM channels but all the other digital channels I get 'not-subscribed', for example channel 123 works but channel 1066 doesn't:
20120222-15:13:21 CableCARD: Tuner0: vchannel 123 (697MHz-3) access = subscribed
20120222-15:13:26 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 1066 (793MHz-3) access = not-subscribed
All my signals are 100% and I can see Mbps transmitting when I tune the channel but I get the Not Subscribed message after a few seconds. The COX guy said I should call Tivo, LOL!
EDIT: I think I see the problem but I don't know how to tell them what to do to fix it: On the Conditional Access screen I see 'Auth: MP'. That means 'Another error
sometimes seen is Auth:MP, which means that a message that is supposed to be in the activation stream coming from the headend is missing.'

Well, they are going to send a truck out in the morning, that will be interesting. None of the phone 'techs' at Cox seem to really care much about 'solving' an issue.

If you're getting the clear QAM channels, then it's not activated at all - any QAM tuner will get these channels. I'm going to guess that the tech will know what "hits" to tell them to send to the box, as long as the tech has dealt with CableCards in the past. I think they had to send two "cold hits" to my CableCard to get it activated finally.
post #8966 of 9599 Old 02-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sigh. It's too bad Cox's staff is so clueless when it comes to CableCard. Hopefully the tech will get it going tomorrow.
post #8967 of 9599 Old 02-22-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I am pretty sure both KHAS and KNOP are on VHF Low even after the conversion(they went back). Your post said you used a UHF Ant. This could be why the signal is so low.
Seems like most of the DMA is on VHF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWNelson View Post

Someone who lives in Kearney should give a more definitive answer but I know when I was in Kearney in 2010 I scanned with a pair of rabbit ears and a UHF loop antenna and I could not get KHAS. It only showed up with about 20% signal. They transmit at much lower power than they did with analog TV, and on channel 5 you basically need an aerial.

I did get their signal in Giltner using just basic rabbit ears though. Contrast that to KNOP in North Platte which I had a ton of difficulty locking in at a distance of only about 4 miles from the tower.

post #8968 of 9599 Old 02-22-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:

If you're getting the clear QAM channels, then it's not activated at all - any QAM tuner will get these channels. I'm going to guess that the tech will know what "hits" to tell them to send to the box, as long as the tech has dealt with CableCards in the past. I think they had to send two "cold hits" to my CableCard to get it activated finally.

The info displayed in MCE and the prime setup says it's activated. It is too bad that Cox has such poor training, it costs us all because we pay more for cable because of it. What I think is amazing is that once they find the correct procedure, they don't document it for the next customer. To me that is more than stupid and reflects the business practice of most monopolies I've seen over time, it really doesn't make any difference to them, one way or another. It really does not cost them as a business because they can just pass it on to the customer.

Card Authentication
success

Card OOB Lock
success

Card Activation
success
post #8969 of 9599 Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 PM

Liked: 13
The digital transition has drastically changed TV DX - and, for the most part, not for the better.

It has not completely done away with TV DX, however. On the lowband (2-6) channels, DX is more rare - but more exotic. Sporadic E-skip can affect the low channels, usually from May through mid-August. In the past, this may have meant that stations from the far west and east U.S. were frequent - those are gone from analog now, but now, the band is almost open (not ch2 around NP and ch5 around Hastings, of course) to DX that all those stateside stations used to block. Canada, Mexico, even Central and northern South America are now possible.

On UHF, tropo still works as it used to. The problem is that DTV is like FM as analog TV was to AM - you can only receive a signal if it is stronger than any others on the channel. Having a sharply directional antenna is more important than ever for DX. The good news is that you won't miss IDing a station because it fades out the minute before the hour. With PSIP, you know what station you have as soon as you get it.
post #8970 of 9599 Old 02-22-2012, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I catch all the locals in Kearney OTA without any problem. I have a batwing attention outside on my roof and I live on a hill, too. When KHAS was lower power, it still came in most of the time for me.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page