Forum Jump: 

post #8971 of 9589 Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottChez View Post

I am pretty sure both KHAS and KNOP are on VHF Low even after the conversion(they went back). Your post said you used a UHF Ant. This could be why the signal is so low.
Seems like most of the DMA is on VHF

The rabbit ears were VHF, but not large enough to adequately pull in the signals. Yes, the Lincoln and North Platte DMAs are predominantly VHF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8972 of 9589 Old 02-23-2012, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ok, here's the rest of the story (see previous posts). The tech showed up this morning, really nice guy, ready to get this working, and I showed him everything. He called up his support tech and she looked at all the setup. She sent a hit and it didn't see to change anything.
SiliconDust emailed me last night on the ticket I opened that "Most problems we've seen with not-subscribed messages come from having the channel packages added to the account for billing purposes but not added to the card itself. Usually they just need to add the right packages, or remove them and then readd them, then send out the hit to authorize them on the card."
The Cox woman dropped and re-added the stuff and sent a hit, that didn't seem to work and she sent another hit and that seemed to do it.
Sooo, at this point I sort of think that what was needed was just the multiple hits but maybe the drop and re-add helped, not sure because both were done.
Anyway, I think the multiple hits are really the way to go, at first anyway. BTW: I'm getting the DIYHD and CookHD without having to do anything but I do have those digital packages so that make since.
I also asked how often they are sent to peoples houses with problems that could be solved by phone and he said it's happening more since they hired a bunch of new csr's to support the whole Cox central region out of Omaha.
post #8973 of 9589 Old 02-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalbers View Post

Ok, here's the rest of the story (see previous posts). The tech showed up this morning, really nice guy, ready to get this working, and I showed him everything. He called up his support tech and she looked at all the setup. She sent a hit and it didn't see to change anything.
SiliconDust emailed me last night on the ticket I opened that "Most problems we've seen with not-subscribed messages come from having the channel packages added to the account for billing purposes but not added to the card itself. Usually they just need to add the right packages, or remove them and then readd them, then send out the hit to authorize them on the card."
The Cox woman dropped and re-added the stuff and sent a hit, that didn't seem to work and she sent another hit and that seemed to do it.
Sooo, at this point I sort of think that what was needed was just the multiple hits but maybe the drop and re-add helped, not sure because both were done.
Anyway, I think the multiple hits are really the way to go, at first anyway. BTW: I'm getting the DIYHD and CookHD without having to do anything but I do have those digital packages so that make since.
I also asked how often they are sent to peoples houses with problems that could be solved by phone and he said it's happening more since they hired a bunch of new csr's to support the whole Cox central region out of Omaha.

Great that you finally got it working!
post #8974 of 9589 Old 02-24-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersa View Post

Great that you finally got it working!

This is almost funny. It was working great, I even had it set up and working great thru the Dlink extender feeding the Logitech Revue and it was (and is again) working and looking good.
Then... I took my HD cable box back to Cox at Westroads. I could see the guy was jacking around with my account, I even told him not to mess with it because that's what the Cox people did to get it working, he couldn't figure out how to remove the cable box without changing the services. He asked the other guy for help and it appeared to both of them that everything was ok. Guess what, I got home and the Prime didn't work, I got the 'not-subscribed' message on all the encrypted channels! (Some of the conditional status info in the cable card displayed did look a little different than what I had before.) Anyway, I called Cox and the person I got could see what they did and shot a hit to it and I'm UP AND RUNNING AGAIN! So with my informal survery Cox employees are 4 out of 6 are disasters. What is interesting is that this last type of hit he did does not show up in the Prime logs. The 'cold hits' show up in the Prime logs as a series of initializations so you can see 'cold hits' come thru but not the 'other type/s'.
post #8975 of 9589 Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is almost funny. It was working great, I even had it set up and working great thru the Dlink extender feeding the Logitech Revue and it was (and is again) working and looking good.
Then... I took my HD cable box back to Cox at Westroads. I could see the guy was jacking around with my account, I even told him not to mess with it because that's what the Cox people did to get it working, he couldn't figure out how to remove the cable box without changing the services. He asked the other guy for help and it appeared to both of them that everything was ok. Guess what, I got home and the Prime didn't work, I got the 'not-subscribed' message on all the encrypted channels! (Some of the conditional status info in the cable card displayed did look a little different than what I had before.) Anyway, I called Cox and the person I got could see what they did and shot a hit to it and I'm UP AND RUNNING AGAIN! So with my informal survery Cox employees are 4 out of 6 are disasters. What is interesting is that this last type of hit he did does not show up in the Prime logs. The 'cold hits' show up in the Prime logs as a series of initializations so you can see 'cold hits' come thru but not the 'other type/s'.

Must have been what happened to me too when I returned a cable box Saturday. I came home and the cable card in the prime was working fine, but the cable card in the ATI OCUR did not... I quick call to Cox fixed it however without too much discussions about Tivos and what not. Funny thing is that I tried to tell the automated system that my cable card was not working, but it would not have any of it...
post #8976 of 9589 Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersa View Post

Must have been what happened to me too when I returned a cable box Saturday. I came home and the cable card in the prime was working fine, but the cable card in the ATI OCUR did not... I quick call to Cox fixed it however without too much discussions about Tivos and what not. Funny thing is that I tried to tell the automated system that my cable card was not working, but it would not have any of it...

That does sound like they did same thing to your settings. With Ceton's new pricing I have a feeling there's going to be a lot more pc cable card tuners showing up in Omaha in the next few weeks. Cox techs are in for a quick education on consumer cable card use. I really like this Prime tuner. It will be interesting if some new Windows media center extenders show up on the market this year.
post #8977 of 9589 Old 02-24-2012, 01:20 PM

Liked: 10
I had similar issues getting my CableCard/Prime working. I think the solution was calling the billing office and getting the CableCard authorized to receive the encrypted channels.
post #8978 of 9589 Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
anyone with a tivo add the plus package channels from cox? what tivo do you have? any problems?

also does anyone have all three phone internet, and tv through cox and get a free premium, but is using a Tivo instead of a cox cable box?
post #8979 of 9589 Old 03-20-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottChez View Post

Wow that is REAL BAD.
Hopefully that make this all HD as according to the station channel 51 is to become the FLAG SHIP station of Fox Nebraska which implies all the there other repeater stations will just carry what is on 51 (soon to be 15 mapped to 51).

If they dont , I will be the first to complain to the owners (the Omaha World Herald).

Now that KFXL is moving to Ch. 15 and still mapped to 51, what's going to happen to Ch. 51? Will the FCC delete that from channel? I hope they can move that channel closer to Omaha because I'm sure they could use another channel in that city and maybe sign on an independent or maybe pick up the My Network TV programming from KPTM on 42.2 and that can be a This TV affiliate full-time? Any thoughts?
post #8980 of 9589 Old 03-20-2012, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjay20 View Post

Now that KFXL is moving to Ch. 15 and still mapped to 51, what's going to happen to Ch. 51? Will the FCC delete that from channel? I hope they can move that channel closer to Omaha because I'm sure they could use another channel in that city and maybe sign on an independent or maybe pick up the My Network TV programming from KPTM on 42.2 and that can be a This TV affiliate full-time? Any thoughts?

KFXL will still appear as 51.1 and so the FCC is not going to license another station in Lincoln on RF 51.
post #8981 of 9589 Old 03-20-2012, 08:00 AM

Picking up an M card today from Village Point and asking them to activate plus pack. Do I need a tuning adapter? Village point reps said I didn't but I have my doubts. They said they had never heard of such a thing. Sigh.
post #8982 of 9589 Old 03-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNewbie1028 View Post

Picking up an M card today from Village Point and asking them to activate plus pack. Do I need a tuning adapter? Village point reps said I didn't but I have my doubts. They said they had never heard of such a thing. Sigh.

We don't need tuning adapters with Cox in Omaha at the moment.

/Anders
post #8983 of 9589 Old 03-20-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:

I think you will be ok if those digital channels are already in a package you subscribe too. At least that's the way it worked for me but with COX you never know until you see it work.
post #8984 of 9589 Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the quick replies!
post #8985 of 9589 Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 PM

Get this, got my COX bill today and they charged me $40 for the self install of the cable card! These people make me so mad if there was any choice I would be gone in a second. This reminds me of the AT&T days.
post #8986 of 9589 Old 03-20-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWNelson View Post

KFXL will still appear as 51.1 and so the FCC is not going to license another station in Lincoln on RF 51.

Even though the transmit channel will be 15 and the virtual will still be 51, they can't license 51 and use another channel as a virtual one if you someone were to buy it?
post #8987 of 9589 Old 03-20-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
The FCC is trying to clear off channel 51 to create a guard band for the cell phone users on 52 and above. No new licenses will be issued on 51.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8988 of 9589 Old 03-20-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Get this, got my COX bill today and they charged me $40 for the self install of the cable card! These people make me so mad if there was any choice I would be gone in a second. This reminds me of the AT&T days.

Well you said (posted) on 2-23-12 cox showed up sounds like they charged you for a failed self install.

post #8989 of 9589 Old 03-20-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

The FCC is trying to clear off channel 51 to create a guard band for the cell phone users on 52 and above. No new licenses will be issued on 51.

- Trip

Okay, I figured it had something to do with that. It's kinda frustrating for owners that want to buy stations 7-50 and there very few channels available. Since they can't use channels 51-69 because of the band for cell phone users the other choice would be channels 2-6, but you have to deal with the interference as far as the weather and other atmospheric conditions.
post #8990 of 9589 Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 AM

ajwees41: Well you said (posted) on 2-23-12 cox showed up sounds like they charged you for a failed self install.

Ya, but it only failed because Cox techs don't know how to use their own software to do a self install. The Cox guy that came didn't do anthing at all, he just called a Cox tech who finally knew how to initialize the cable card. The Cox guy did not touch anything to get it working, he just talked on the phone to a Cox tech who knew how to set up a cable card, the other Cox people I talked to didn't know how to set it up. I got charged because Cox employee's don't know what they are doing and the Cox guy that showed up admitted that.
post #8991 of 9589 Old 03-21-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ajwees41: Well you said (posted) on 2-23-12 cox showed up sounds like they charged you for a failed self install.

Ya, but it only failed because Cox techs don't know how to use their own software to do a self install. The Cox guy that came didn't do anthing at all, he just called a Cox tech who finally knew how to initialize the cable card. The Cox guy did not touch anything to get it working, he just talked on the phone to a Cox tech who knew how to set up a cable card, the other Cox people I talked to didn't know how to set it up. I got charged because Cox employee's don't know what they are doing and the Cox guy that showed up admitted that.

Did you call and tell them that?
post #8992 of 9589 Old 03-21-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

Did you call and tell them that?

Yes, she said they always charge for a cable card self install so I didn't get very far with that rep. Another example of a Cox rep who has no idea what they are talking about. It is just unbelievable how badly trained the Cox employee's are. It's not the employee's fault, they are not stupid, it's just very bad manangement because it's lack of training.
Added April 4th: I went to Westroads and the guy removed the $40 charge from my bill (at least he said he did?). He said that happens all the time!
post #8993 of 9589 Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, she said they always charge for a cable card self install so I didn't get very far with that rep. Another example of a Cox rep who has no idea what they are talking about. It is just unbelievable how badly trained the Cox employee's are. It's not the employee's fault, they are not stupid, it's just very bad manangement because it's lack of training.

If your on Facebook or twitter try that way to contact them
post #8994 of 9589 Old 03-21-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

If your on Facebook or twitter try that way to contact them

I filed an FCC complaint, dealing with them is really getting old. It also makes me sick because now that they support the region out of Omaha, the poor support/employee's give/s Omaha a bad name. Kind of like when that big telemarketer that was ripping people off all over the country was working out of Omaha a few years ago, Omaha doesn't need the reputation.
post #8995 of 9589 Old 03-22-2012, 10:13 PM

So I did the self install tonight with my cablecard from Cox and it can't find any channels (I used the 800 number to activate). I called back and they "re-paired" the card. No dice. They want to send a tech out of course. Want to avoid that.

Do I try the local number tomorrow or call the 800 number again? Frustration mounts...
post #8996 of 9589 Old 03-22-2012, 10:21 PM

Update

I called cox 800 number again and again a signal was sent. This time a signal actually went through. I get most analog channels now (nothing above 67 though) and I only get HD channels up to 1012 and nothing above. I subscribe to one premium movie channel and the sports and info tier.

I told the third tech at the 800 number that I had some analog and some HD but not everything. At which point he wanted to send out a tech. Sigh. Back to the drawing board. Question still stands - call the local now or the toll free.

I just know that if they hit it again i'll lose what few channels I have. :-)
post #8997 of 9589 Old 03-23-2012, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Update

I called cox 800 number again and again a signal was sent. This time a signal actually went through. I get most analog channels now (nothing above 67 though) and I only get HD channels up to 1012 and nothing above. I subscribe to one premium movie channel and the sports and info tier.

I told the third tech at the 800 number that I had some analog and some HD but not everything. At which point he wanted to send out a tech. Sigh. Back to the drawing board. Question still stands - call the local now or the toll free.

I just know that if they hit it again i'll lose what few channels I have. :-)

How does the card look? Could it be bad? TiVo cable card slot bad?
post #8998 of 9589 Old 03-23-2012, 04:36 AM

Card looked fine when I got it and the Tivo is brand new - just got it yesterday.
post #8999 of 9589 Old 03-23-2012, 04:41 AM

And I did get a red M card. When I look at the signal strength meter I get 90 or above on all channels including the channels that don't show up. Channels that don't show just give me a black screen and a message that says "trouble finding the signal." And this includes all digital channels, not just the HD channels. Only getting analog and the QAM channels. I believe rmalbers had this same issue about a month ago where he was only getting analog and QAM and they sent out a technician who literally "phoned it in" and got it working, then charged him for installing the cable card.
post #9000 of 9589 Old 03-23-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:

And I did get a red M card. When I look at the signal strength meter I get 90 or above on all channels including the channels that don't show up. Channels that don't show just give me a black screen and a message that says "trouble finding the signal." And this includes all digital channels, not just the HD channels. Only getting analog and the QAM channels. I believe rmalbers had this same issue about a month ago where he was only getting analog and QAM and they sent out a technician who literally "phoned it in" and got it working, then charged him for installing the cable card.

Sounds identical to what happened to me. Anyway, eventually you have to find a Cox employee that knows ALL options that are available to get it to work. (This is part of my issue with Cox, if they would just document these 'methods and procedures' for their employess they wouldn't look so stupid.) My guess is in my case my problem was resolved when they dropped all services and re-added them to my account but I can not say for sure because what they did over the phone and what I saw lagged in time so I can't match action/reaction together. Cox really needs to get each of these devices in a lab and do some real work and document, like a normal company would do.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page