Omaha / Lincoln, NE - HDTV - Page 301 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #9001 of 9599 Old 03-23-2012, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would you recommend I call them and suggest they drop all services and re-add them, just send a new "hit" or some combination of the two? or do I bite the bullet and pay the $40 and just have them come out and do it.

The conspiracy theorist in me says Cox is doing this intentionally - not sending out all the proper signals - just so they can send out a tech and get their "install" fee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 9599 Old 03-23-2012, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNewbie1028 View Post

Would you recommend I call them and suggest they drop all services and re-add them, just send a new "hit" or some combination of the two? or do I bite the bullet and pay the $40 and just have them come out and do it.

The conspiracy theorist in me says Cox is doing this intentionally - not sending out all the proper signals - just so they can send out a tech and get their "install" fee.

I'm not sure what to tell you, they told me that they would not charge me the $40 if it was not my problem, which it was not my problem and they still charged me. It's really a question of how much time you want to spent dealing with them and how much the $40 is to you. To me it's more of the principle of the thing, it's not the $40. By my informal survey, there is a 1 in 10 chance at finding someone at Cox that knows how to successfully get a CC working. As long as they are a monopoly, we'll have to put up with it one way or another, just like in the old AT$T days. I haven't heard anything back on the FCC complaint I filed. I would urge people to file FCC complaints on real issues. At the bottom of this there is a link:
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights
Cox either has a serious training issue or issues with their software or both and they need to fix them.
post #9003 of 9599 Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 PM

Well, a fourth call to the local number resulted in me talking to a tech in Arizona who knew what she was doing! Had all the channels but the premium up and running within 5 minutes. Said it would take 15 minutes or more for that to load. Which it did in 30 minutes. Only.thing is the extra plus pack starz channels aren't there even though I asked the previous techs if it was set up and the answer was yes.

So now i'm debating on whether I want to try for those or leave well enough alone since it is working now. :-)

Wish all the techs were as knowledgeable as this gal in Arizona.
post #9004 of 9599 Old 03-23-2012, 01:42 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Well, a fourth call to the local number resulted in me talking to a tech in Arizona who knew what she was doing! Had all the channels but the premium up and running within 5 minutes. Said it would take 15 minutes or more for that to load. Which it did in 30 minutes. Only.thing is the extra plus pack starz channels aren't there even though I asked the previous techs if it was set up and the answer was yes.

So now i'm debating on whether I want to try for those or leave well enough alone since it is working now. :-)

Great, glad you made it thru the Cox Challenge Cup! You certainly beat my record with your great 1 out 4 results! If I were you I would wait a while before putting myself thru the rest of it. You know, that might make since that someone in a bigger market (AZ) would know more about CC or a least has had more training on it. It is amazing how simple and quick some reps get it done and others don't have a clue, I just don't understand that at all but I have to think the process/procedure is not documented or something. I really would love to run into someone from Cox that could tell me what is really going on with this CC stuff internally and how some people get you fixed up in minutes.
post #9005 of 9599 Old 03-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Doesn't Cox always advertise themselves as a local company with everything done here in Omaha?
post #9006 of 9599 Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerMike View Post

Doesn't Cox always advertise themselves as a local company with everything done here in Omaha?

They haven't had local phone reps for awhile. They have support centers that handle all cox areas no mo local phone reps
post #9007 of 9599 Old 03-27-2012, 06:46 PM

Interesting message on my Tivo tonight. Said the guide had been updated with 3 new HD channels Discovery ID on 1103, Tennis Channel on 1226 and BBC HD on 1242. They haven't shown up yet on the Cox guide and channels don't appear on either Tivo or Cox HD boxes.
post #9008 of 9599 Old 03-27-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting message on my Tivo tonight. Said the guide had been updated with 3 new HD channels Discovery ID on 1103, Tennis Channel on 1226 and BBC HD on 1242. They haven't shown up yet on the Cox guide and channels don't appear on either Tivo or Cox HD boxes.

any notices of disney jr?
post #9009 of 9599 Old 03-27-2012, 10:17 PM

No. There were only 3 channels listed as beingchanged added in the guide. Wonder if Cox is going to make them live overnight like usual or if Tivo gets notice of changes sooner. Just found it odd that Tivo shows the added channels when the cox HD receivers don't.

Something to look forward to if you subscribe to those packages.
post #9010 of 9599 Old 03-27-2012, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. There were only 3 channels listed as beingchanged added in the guide. Wonder if Cox is going to make them live overnight like usual or if Tivo gets notice of changes sooner. Just found it odd that Tivo shows the added channels when the cox HD receivers don't.

Something to look forward to if you subscribe to those packages.

they are most likely testing them in unencrypted qam and will be added to the boxes when they are ready

they also could be only added to the whole home dvr boxes with trio
post #9011 of 9599 Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:

These channels are appearing on your Tivo because Tivos use the Tribune Media Services channel guide data; the channels have been added to TMS' data. However, the channels have not yet been mapped to the CableCards (at least not my CableCard in my Hauppauge PC tuner yet); after a couple of recordings end, I'm going to do a reboot of my tuner to see if the channel map updates.

Once the channels show up in the channel map, I'll report on the frequencies.
post #9012 of 9599 Old 03-28-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfendrick View Post

These channels are appearing on your Tivo because Tivos use the Tribune Media Services channel guide data; the channels have been added to TMS' data. However, the channels have not yet been mapped to the CableCards (at least not my CableCard in my Hauppauge PC tuner yet); after a couple of recordings end, I'm going to do a reboot of my tuner to see if the channel map updates.

Once the channels show up in the channel map, I'll report on the frequencies.

or they could be mpeg 4 channels, but cox just posted a new channel lineup pdf and they aren't listed yet so maybe they are still testing
post #9013 of 9599 Old 03-29-2012, 06:07 AM

The all-digital cable TV switchover is starting. Hope Cox doesn't get in a hurry to make this move.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/M...144729135.html
post #9014 of 9599 Old 03-29-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueTVWatchr View Post

The all-digital cable TV switchover is starting. Hope Cox doesn't get in a hurry to make this move.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/M...144729135.html

I respectfully disagree with you. Cox is using approximately 40 percent of its total available bandwidth on those analog channels (approximately 60 6 MHz channels dedicated to analog, out of a total of approximately 150 available 6 MHz channels). Those same 60 analog channels take up about six channel spaces when transmitted digitally, which Cox already does anyway (if you use a Cox-provided tuner and tune to, say, channel 31, you're really tuning into a digital feed, not analog channel 31). Eliminating the analog broadcast will free up those 60 channels for reallocation - could be 120 or more HD channels, for instance (two HD channels generally occupy one 6 MHz channel).
post #9015 of 9599 Old 03-29-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:

I respectfully disagree with you. Cox is using approximately 40 percent of its total available bandwidth on those analog channels (approximately 60 6 MHz channels dedicated to analog, out of a total of approximately 150 available 6 MHz channels). Those same 60 analog channels take up about six channel spaces when transmitted digitally, which Cox already does anyway (if you use a Cox-provided tuner and tune to, say, channel 31, you're really tuning into a digital feed, not analog channel 31). Eliminating the analog broadcast will free up those 60 channels for reallocation - could be 120 or more HD channels, for instance (two HD channels generally occupy one 6 MHz channel).

I think Medicom is jumping the gun! Cable carriers are required to support older analog tvs for at least the local television carriage for 3 years past the over-the-air digital transition. That was originally for February 2009, but was delayed until June 2009. Which means the companies are required to support analog tvs until June 2012. They could open themselves up for litigation from irate customers who have older equipment and know the regulations.
post #9016 of 9599 Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

I think Medicom is jumping the gun! Cable carriers are required to support older analog tvs for at least the local television carriage for 3 years past the over-the-air digital transition. That was originally for February 2009, but was delayed until June 2009. Which means the companies are required to support analog tvs until June 2012. They could open themselves up for litigation from irate customers who have older equipment and know the regulations.

Analog TVs will still be supported through digital cable converter boxes. As long as Mediacom doesn't charge for the converter boxes until June 2012, they should be fine. If they do impose a mandatory equipment fee in April or May, it seems they could be found in violation.
post #9017 of 9599 Old 03-29-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
As soon as the FCC approves encryption of all channels once a cable system is all digital, you'll see the all digital all encrypted cableco become the standard, relatively soon. Real soon.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #9018 of 9599 Old 03-29-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Mediacom isn't doing anything different than many cable companies. Death to analog.
post #9019 of 9599 Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

With 120 NEW HD channels Cox would then have more HD channels than Dish or DireCTV. Seems like very day I see more and more Dish and DirecTV sats go up on houses.

Cox really needs to switch to 100% digital and dump the old analog.

Quote:

post #9020 of 9599 Old 03-29-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does that also take into account Internet and phone?
post #9021 of 9599 Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

Does that also take into account Internet and phone?

I'm no expert in this area, but I think everything Cox sends out over its network uses one of the available 6 MHz channels. Cable modems and phone usually operate in the very low frequencies and the very high frequencies; therefore, freeing up the analog television frequencies will likely lead to more space for HD television channels and would negate the need for SDV on Omaha's system, at least in the short-term. Or, they could use some of the extra bandwidth to increase cable modem throughput.

I'm guessing that some of the smaller cableco's, especially the ones serving small towns (like Mediacom), aren't operating a 1 GHz plant like Cox does in Omaha - they may be a 650 MHz plant even.

Here's a couple of links to explain the channel allocations and how cable modems work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A...on_frequencies

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cable-modem.htm

And another good link to explain how digital cable works:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cable
post #9022 of 9599 Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm no expert in this area, but I think everything Cox sends out over its network uses one of the available 6 MHz channels. Cable modems and phone usually operate in the very low frequencies and the very high frequencies; therefore, freeing up the analog television frequencies will likely lead to more space for HD television channels and would negate the need for SDV on Omaha's system, at least in the short-term. Or, they could use some of the extra bandwidth to increase cable modem throughput.

I'm guessing that some of the smaller cableco's, especially the ones serving small towns (like Mediacom), aren't operating a 1 GHz plant like Cox does in Omaha - they may be a 650 MHz plant even.

Here's a couple of links to explain the channel allocations and how cable modems work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A...on_frequencies

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cable-modem.htm

And another good link to explain how digital cable works:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cable

Cox uses SDV in certain areas and makes no difference on their offerings
post #9023 of 9599 Old 04-03-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Comcast also s all digital via DTA's
post #9024 of 9599 Old 04-04-2012, 07:40 PM

Looks like KFXL 51.1 finally replaced their "Fisher Price" transmitter in Lincoln. Tuned in tonight and the FOX content was in HD and the signal was very stable. Still on actual channel 51, but at least it's a step in the right direction.
post #9025 of 9599 Old 04-04-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opusnbill7 View Post

Looks like KFXL 51.1 finally replaced their "Fisher Price" transmitter in Lincoln. Tuned in tonight and the FOX content was in HD and the signal was very stable. Still on actual channel 51, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Nice! Guessing they're still at 14 KW as they don't have a STA for higher power on 51, last I knew, but a better transmitter and HD both help a lot. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Lincoln.
post #9026 of 9599 Old 04-05-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

This could be the final step. Upgrade to HD and a new transmitter.

Now all they need to do is flip a switch on the transmitter to change to channel 15 (51 virtual) and up the power to full power and they are done.

Just hope they tell Dish network and DirecTV about the channel change so the guide data will still work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opusnbill7 View Post

post #9027 of 9599 Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottChez View Post

Just hope they tell Dish network and DirecTV about the channel change so the guide data will still work.

Dish and Direct get the signal from 13.2 so there should actually be no change...
post #9028 of 9599 Old 04-05-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I am asking about the Other the Air Free Guide data. I am a few miles from the DMA TV market boarder so I can't get it over the Sat, I have to get the channel using there Add on Over the Air tuner.

I need them to update there guide data when they make the change else the channel won't work for me. This happened during the digital cut over, many stations forgot to tell Dish and Direct That they changed and there guide data stopped working.

I can't wait for FULL POWER and in HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWNelson View Post

Dish and Direct get the signal from 13.2 so there should actually be no change...

post #9029 of 9599 Old 04-06-2012, 08:03 AM

how much is digital cable

asking cause the basic lineup now costs 70 dollars (or it does for customers like my mother)

and thinking upgrading to digital might be cheaper.
post #9030 of 9599 Old 04-06-2012, 08:20 AM

A friend in Omaha called me and said his Harmony doesn't work his new Cox HDDVR/MRV box anymore.

I can't get there for several more days, did his Harmony just have a spasm or do I need to set up a "new device" and maybe some "new activities" for him when I get there?

Also, does Cox now have remote control serial # addressable receivers, can we start putting more than one receiver in a rack? Handy for bars and other commercial acct's where they have multiple units. And for folks in apartment buildings with those RF-20 remotes that run boxes up and down the hallways if their neighbors have the same repeater.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page