Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 9570 Old 06-27-2003, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gumby,

I have an amplified Terk in the attic now, reception is marginal at best (some channels fade in/out depending on weather and time of day), pointed due north from Papilliion torwards Crown Pointe.

I may install something more robust in the near future as well as a rotor but thougt I'd wait a bit until everyone approached full power. Who knows at full power my problems may be solved without spending any more money on atennas. However I suspect I'll still need a rotor to pick up the KXVO/KPRM south west of here.

Glad you found this thread, everyone's contributions both broadcasters and consumers have been an enjoyable learning experience.

After the advent of cable in the late 70's early 80's who would have dreamt over the air reception could bring roof top antennas back into the fold. They're becoming more and more noticable as one drives through Omaha, maybe it's just me rubbernecking out the window looking for them.

Plkease let us know what antenna works for you.

John

Building our dream theater one component at a time.. Thanks AVS for years of great advice and support!

Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 9570 Old 06-27-2003, 09:39 PM

Two additional questions -

1) Mike refered to getting a good "balun" - what is it?!

2) The antenna refered by Mike is UHF only - don't I want a VHF/UHF combo to get the lower numbered digital channels?

I think I will stop by Mid-State tomorrow and see what kind of trouble I can find there. Thanks everyone once again.

Gumby
post #903 of 9570 Old 06-28-2003, 06:44 AM

In checking this morning, I had no signal from KMTV. Are they down? Also, has anyone gotten a signal from KPTM?
Thanks!

Mike
post #904 of 9570 Old 06-28-2003, 09:02 AM

Nevermind. KMTV is back up. (Need to find a schedule...hehe). But...I've never gotten a digital signal from KPTM. Has anyone?

Thanks!

Mike
post #905 of 9570 Old 06-29-2003, 06:41 AM

Warren,
Thanks for the update. The KETV website is also looking really good.
post #906 of 9570 Old 06-29-2003, 07:59 PM

I'm curious...Is the way in which you are going about this install "typical"? It seems much safer than what I've heard of other situations (Tower crew dangling thousands of feet in the air).
I've never heard of taking the top section down, then taking the new antenna up on it. Perhaps you've simply gone into finer detail than I've heard in the past, when it comes to tower stories.
With the increase in tower accidents, it certainly sounds like your way of doing things is a positive.

I went shopping for an HDTV and all I got was a Samsung!
post #907 of 9570 Old 06-30-2003, 09:30 AM

The plan for today is to install the temporary guy wires on the tower.

Then we hope to take down the top 6' section Tuesday, replace the top plate assembly, and take that section back up by the end of the day.

Warren Behrens
Chief Engineer
KETV Hearst - Argyle Television
post #908 of 9570 Old 06-30-2003, 07:41 PM

Warren,

Maybe this has been asked before... but once the new antenna is installed on the tower, how much testing will be needed before you begin broadcasting at full power?

Also, because the antenna is dual band, does this mean that KETV will be the first of the networks to broadcast DTV 24/7 in Omaha?

-- Robert

Robert
post #909 of 9570 Old 07-01-2003, 08:05 AM

Hi Robert,

Testing:
Once the new antenna is on the tower, and all the transmission line is connected back up, Dielectric will visit to sweep the system. We will look at the combiner, transmission line, splitter, and antenna. That will take one full day. Adjustments to the combiner and or splitter will more than likely fall into day two. Once Dielectric gives the OK on the system, channel 7 analog will go back on the air.

Now, on the DTV side of the house. I will need to take the DTV transmitter off-line for one to two days. I need to un-do the modifications we did to this transmitter to get it to run at a low power level, then raise the power, re-sweep, and do another proof of the transmitter. Once that is finished, put it back on the air.

The tough part is juggling the schedules of two field engineers who have other stations to put on the air, each station is working with tower crews, and weather delays so things are stacking up. It is very possible the antenna will be on the tower for a while ready to go, before we go back on it due to the scheduling of the field engineers. I was hopeful to have the field engineers here next week, but that fell apart due to the holiday coming up this week. It now looks like those engineers will be here the week of July 14th, so I will go back on sometime during that week.

As for being 1st running 24/7, WOWT has that record, KMTV has the 1st at the highest DTV power level in the market. The only thing I can claim to is the DTV antenna will be the highest in the market, and top mounted. As for the broadcast day for DTV, I am thinking I will move to 9am - 12 midnight 7 days a week once the project is finished.

As for power, I will not be at full power once the new antenna is operational, I will be at 50% or 350 Kw ERP, in my mind, full power is what my DTV facility is licensed for, that being 700kw ERP. I need one more amplifier cabinet to get to full power.

Warren

Warren Behrens
Chief Engineer
post #910 of 9570 Old 07-01-2003, 04:32 PM

Did not get the top 6' section taken off the tower today. We spent quite a deal of time balancing the tower out with the temporary guy wires.

Maybe tomorrow.

Warren

Warren Behrens
Chief Engineer
post #911 of 9570 Old 07-01-2003, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Any word on KOLN? Did last month's accident hamper progress?
post #912 of 9570 Old 07-02-2003, 09:12 AM

Sorry Soap fans, CBS is not feeding the "Young and the Restless" in HD today (Wednesday).

Mike Gann
Assistant Chief Engineer
KMTV
post #913 of 9570 Old 07-02-2003, 11:30 AM

Wind speeds are too high to do any tower work currently...

Will try again tomorrow.

Warren

Warren Behrens
Chief Engineer
post #914 of 9570 Old 07-03-2003, 04:01 PM

The tower crew did remove the top 6' section of the tower, and lowered it to the ground. We removed the old antenna mounting plate, and installed the new plate.

Will attempt to take it back up tomorrow.

Warren

Warren Behrens
Chief Engineer
post #915 of 9570 Old 07-03-2003, 05:28 PM

Great News KETV!! Sounds like things are moving forward (I should have taken an extra week of vacation though)

I am curous about KOLN as well, but with Channel 3, I can wait.

Anybody have info about Channel 51? It's a new full power CP for Lincoln, with a tower near KOLN's Beaver Crossing site.

post #916 of 9570 Old 07-03-2003, 05:41 PM

Cox subscribers:

It looks like Cox is adding ESPN-HD (channel 820) and Discovery HD (channel 821) to their lineup soon. They show up in the program guide, but according to the CSR that I talked to at Cox, they are being tested and they hope to have them up by August 1. This marks off 2 of my 3 "wants" from Cox, with NBC being the only major thing missing from the lineup right now.

Not to hack on our NBC affiliate, but I'm not sure that it's Cox that is keeping NBC-HD off of the cable system. The affiliates have a tremendous amount of power in what can be carried on a cable system as far as network affiliates go. It's pretty likely that WOWT is trying to negotiate some pretty fantastic terms in exchange for Cox carrying their HD feed. It seems pretty silly to extort money and services out of a cable company so that they are allowed the "honor" of carrying commercial-supported broadcasts. Just another example of how the US government is driven by money and lobbying, rather than by the people. Sigh.

Jeff
post #917 of 9570 Old 07-03-2003, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Channel 51 from http://www.transmitter.com/FCC96317/NEatwch.html

is WOWTV?

I'd like to know what ch. 51 is and what the web page means.
post #918 of 9570 Old 07-03-2003, 08:17 PM

According to the FCC database it's a CP (analog) for a full power TV station. The mailing address is One World Herald Plaza in Omaha.
Figured maybe the KPTM folks were pondering a UPN affiliate or somebody is trying to get Lincoln their own NBC affiliate.
Who knows...maybe it's the church lady!

post #919 of 9570 Old 07-04-2003, 06:15 AM
mdg

I hope Cox starts to offer ESPN and Discovery soon. But then again I hope they rent the Boxes. Ideally Motorola will come out with its combination hdtv tuner/pvr box. I would pay 20 bucks a month to rent that!!!! I do wish they would carry HDNET too but that is wishful thinking at this point. Also great timing. I am currently a Qwest cable customer and use an OTA tuner. Had a flier in my door yesterday for half off Cox Telephone, cable, and high speed internet for one year. Think I will have to try it.

Mike
post #920 of 9570 Old 07-04-2003, 06:57 AM

I agree about HDnet. I'd love to have it, but I'm not holding my breath to get it.

Yes, it would be great if Cox rented the boxes. I'm pretty sure it will have to come to that eventually, but for right now, the $300 HDD201 from Canada does just fine for me.

Jeff
post #921 of 9570 Old 07-04-2003, 08:53 AM

I saw all the new HD channels on the guide for Cox last night..... WAYYY excited.

Now, I hope I'm not gunna need to subscribe to anything else here..
post #922 of 9570 Old 07-04-2003, 11:35 AM

First - Has anyone in West O. been able to successfully pick-up FOX digital OTA braodcast? What antenna do you use because my channel master 4221 must not have enough to get it.

Also, regarding signal strength - I have readings of 35 - 55% for the three big ones (NBC, CBS, ABC). Should I be concerned? Seems like this is a little low.

Thoughts appreciated.

Gumby
post #923 of 9570 Old 07-04-2003, 03:32 PM

I cannot pick up kptm in the west central Omaha, I think we should all call Kptm and say lets increase you signal, I bet they are not complying with fcc rules with such a loooowwwww powered signal, they should reach all of Omaha. If you want Hdtv get DirecTV, the locals are all available ota and DirecTV just added Espn-hd, Discovery-Hd, Hdnet-Movies.
post #924 of 9570 Old 07-04-2003, 03:52 PM

Thanks Ronald - We may have to so that. Hopefully they can 1) increase their power and 2) provde some NFL games in HD this upcoming football season.
post #925 of 9570 Old 07-04-2003, 05:40 PM

If I was Santa I would give KPTM a lump of coal for Christmas. Seriously, nothing has changed since they first put up their transmitter last November. Looking over the FCC records their final DTV solution looks nice, but for now the DS STA really stinks. What I can't figure out is why KXVO comes in okay, but KPTM never shows up at all.
post #926 of 9570 Old 07-04-2003, 06:17 PM

I have not been able to get ANY digital signal what-so-ever from KPTM. KXVO comes in fine, and I thought they were on the same tower...etc. This is using a Silver Sensor in the 96th and Harrison area.

M
post #927 of 9570 Old 07-04-2003, 09:20 PM

Liked: 11
According to the FCC website, KHAS in Hastings has also applied for a construction permit for analog facilities approximately 24 miles west of their current facilities. This new tower is already being used by 102.3 FM and 94.5 FM and is located in the same general area as channels KGIN 11 & KHGI 13. If you're driving along the interstate it is the one to the SE of Kearney with the white strobe lights. This would place it about 88 miles west of the Beaver Crossing location. This is close to the spread between ABC channels 13 & 8 (83 miles) and CBS channels 10 & 11 (86 miles). Right now there is a gap of 131 miles between NBC affiliates KHAS and WOWT and a gap of 128 miles between KHAS and KNOP North Platte so a new NBC affiliate there would make sense. Remember this is pure speculation.

DirecTV since 9/94
post #928 of 9570 Old 07-05-2003, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The KETV tower fell down. Holy Crap!!! I thought I only saw three sets of lights off my deck last night. I doubt there will be HDTV OTA very soon for ABC.

I suspect those temporary guy wires weren't hooked up very well.

Glad I have Cox.
post #929 of 9570 Old 07-05-2003, 04:21 PM

I saw that on the news too! I hope there was nothing on ABC that anyone wanted to see in HD soon. I wonder how long it will take to get a HD signal back on the air?

Did you hear if anyone was hurt?
post #930 of 9570 Old 07-05-2003, 04:45 PM

Lets all thank God that no one was killed in the tower accident, Warren hang in there and good luck on rebuilding a new tower.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page