Forum Jump: 

post #9511 of 9589 Old 01-05-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
% KXVO KPTM

Seems like a waist of money to show both the same channel on 15.2 and 42.2 AND all on the same Antenna Tower.
If any thing put a live Radar or something useful on 15.2 until they can figure this mess out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9512 of 9589 Old 01-05-2014, 04:39 PM

Is the power requirement the same for a digital channel whether it is carrying the data stream for a particular subchannel or not ??
post #9513 of 9589 Old 01-05-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Yes.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9514 of 9589 Old 01-06-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
another weather channel isnt needed scott

one is enough.

but, I agree. They need to add Antenna TV or Bounce TV or Cozi TV on either 15.2 or 42.2 soon.

The duplication of This TV on 2 broadcast channels is annoying.
post #9515 of 9589 Old 01-06-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I would love to get Antenna TV or Bounce TV or Cozi TV
I would even pay to get it.
post #9516 of 9589 Old 01-20-2014, 12:07 PM

Your comment about centurylink was in 2008. Would you say the same now with the IPTV based PRISM. Is there any way to use a Tivo Premeire with prism

post #9517 of 9589 Old 01-20-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

An other Weather Channel sure is needed now as DirecTV does not have one (they removed the Weather Channel).

I think it would be great to have a live full screen radar on a sub channel #3, says 3.3 or 6.3
With nothing else on the screen taking of bandwidth.
Other sites report that these live radar screens take little to no bandwidth as storms dont move that fast so the only movement is the radar sweeping line.
post #9518 of 9589 Old 01-26-2014, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottChez View Post

An other Weather Channel sure is needed now as DirecTV does not have one (they removed the Weather Channel).
DirecTV replaced The Weather Channel with WeatherNation which, for all intents and purposes, is just like The Weather Channel used to be back in the day.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #9519 of 9589 Old 01-27-2014, 10:37 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3ccc View Post

Your comment about centurylink was in 2008. Would you say the same now with the IPTV based PRISM. Is there any way to use a Tivo Premeire with prism
Doubtful. Everything with Prism has to go through their set top box, which has a whole home DVR
post #9520 of 9589 Old 01-28-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone know which channels are on switched digital video for Time Warner Cable in the Lincoln/York market?
post #9521 of 9589 Old 01-28-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottChez View Post

% KXVO KPTM

Seems like a waist of money to show both the same channel on 15.2 and 42.2 AND all on the same Antenna Tower.
If any thing put a live Radar or something useful on 15.2 until they can figure this mess out.

Why would they air a different channel that would cost extra while they probably don't pay extra to carry two feeds of the same channel?
post #9522 of 9589 Old 01-28-2014, 01:50 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post

Does anyone know which channels are on switched digital video for Time Warner Cable in the Lincoln/York market?
I don't see any mention of tuning adaptors in the fine print of the channel listing so that usually means there aren't any, but cable company web sites have errors all the time. LOL!
post #9523 of 9589 Old 01-28-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalbers View Post

I don't see any mention of tuning adaptors in the fine print of the channel listing so that usually means there aren't any, but cable company web sites have errors all the time. LOL!

Thanks for the reply. I know that ESPN2 and some other channels are switched digital video. Just wondering if anyone has an up to date list.
post #9524 of 9589 Old 01-30-2014, 12:00 PM

Hi All,

I just wanted to share my experience with Prism TV. I live just south of 168th and Harrison and had the service installed about a month ago. I saw that there has been some discussion about it, so I thought another review would be appreciated as there are not many out there yet for the Omaha market.

What we Had

Previous to getting Prism, we had DirecTV with a dual tuner whole house DVR and 3 remote boxes for a total of 4 TV hooked up. We had Cox preferred internet. We had no promotional pricing and we were paying around $180 a month total between the two providers. We checked out Prism mainly because we needed to reduce our TV/Internet cost.

What we ordered

We got the Prism preferred package with 3 total boxes (1 wired, 2 wireless) and 20mbps Internet. Total cost for this package is $124 before taxes. $98 for the TV, $25 for the internet. Two year price lock on both, Two year promo pricing on the Internet, one year contract with a 30 day trial period after hook up.

The System

We live in a newer subdivision that is about 10 years old. We built our house in 2011. We never had phone company services before at the house so they had to drop a new line to the house. They are not doing FTTP at this time in our neighborhood. It is fiber to the neighborhood box (DSLAM) and copper to the house. My house is about 2500 feet from the DSLAM box. Once the line was run to the house, the tech did the homerun from the box on the side of the house to the gateway (modem) in the basement using cat-5 cable. He then used existing cat-5 wiring in my house to connect the gateway to the main DVR box. That box runs our main TV in the living room. One of our wireless boxes is up in our second floor master. The second wireless box is in our basement workout room. A Cisco wireless transmitter is connected to the Gateway and this unit sends the signals to the wireless boxes. The box on the second floor has no issues getting a full signal from the transmitter in the basement.

Our main DVR box is hidden in a closet. We had to buy an optional $20 RF remote as the included remote is IR and requires line of sight. We kept the IR remote that was included with the DVR and put it in the guest room.

Impressions

Overall, I like the system. In the month that we have had it the internet service has been very stable and we have had no issues with the video. The channel selection is good and the preferred package includes Showtime, TMC and Starz/Encore. I had no premiums with DirecTV so that is nice.

When doing speedtests with my laptop, I consistently get my advertised speed even over Wi-Fi. The only time I start seeing speeds below my 20mbps is when we get up to 3 HD video sreams going, I see a 3-4 mbps drop, and having all 4 streams going drops it down another 3-4mbps. Even with those drops, we have not noticed any dramatic slowdown in our regular internet use. Note that my wife and I are not heavy users, and our 4 year old does watch netflix on his iPad sometimes while we are watching TV with no known issues. The tech told me that Prism video gets priority on the bandwidth coming to the house. He also told me even though I am on a 20mbps package, more bandwhith then that is coming to the house and Prism takes advantage of that. That is why I don't start seeing drops until I get to the 3rd and 4th HD streams.

SD image quality is actually quite good on Prism, actually the first watchable SD I have seen on a digital system. Most of the major channels I watch have an HD feed. I do like that they offer all the local sub-channels, however none of them are offered in HD at this time. I have watched some Me-Tv and honestly it is not bad in SD.

HD picture quality is not as good as DirecTV. I think it is better then Cox but DirecTV still wins in this area. In the month I have had it I have had no dropouts or other video issues that have been reported in some Prism markets. I actually asked the tech about this and he said CenturyLink has learned from previous rollouts and they are taking their time here in Omaha. Only areas that can easly handle it are getting it. Basically right now if VDSL (20+mbps) service is not in your area, you will not get Prism until it is there and stable. He said in some previous markets it was pushed to areas that were not ready for it. Also a new gateway (C2000T) was just recently released and it is what they are now using. It is much more reliable then the old POS they were using and I have noticed on some of the DSL forums that this has been confirmed as people that have switched to this gateway have noticed much better performance. He also told me if Prism does take off, CL will consider putting FTTP in more areas, but right now it wont be outside the pilot area

My favorite feature is the wireless set-top boxes. When our old DirecTV setup, we basically had to pay for a box that did not get used much since we wanted a TV in our guest room. Now, we just take our box from our workout room and put it up in the guest room when we have people there. Saves us $8 a month. Also the wireless boxes give you the freedom to change rooms around without worry as to where the TV jack is. All you need is a power outlet. So far we have had no issues with the wireless boxes and this is now a must have feature for me.

Channel changes on the main DVR box are blink of the eye fast. It is actually fun channel flipping on that box. On the wireless boxes there is a slight delay that gets longer as more streams are being used. Longest ones are still not as long as DirecTV channel changes. I also like the Last 5 feature. When you hit the last channel button on the remote, it takes you to the last channel but also brings up a sidebar with a list of the last 5 channels and a small PIP with video of the channel that is highlighed. Great feature when flipping through multiple sports events.

I like how I can pause/rewind/FF live video on any TV, not just the TV with the DVR box. On the DirecTV system I had I could watch recordings on any TV but could not pause/rewind/FF live tv on the remote boxes. I think the new Genie system DirecTV has can do this however.

On Demand is ok. They have most of the major networks covered, however there is not as much content in HD as I would like. All OnDemand programming starts streaming quickly once selected. Programs that allow FF and Rewind do so just as easily as a DVR program.

The Guide is not as good as the DirecTV guide, but better then Cox. It is fast to navigate through, however search is kinda slow sometimes. Also, they use a Cox style channel orginization with all HD channels in the 1000's. I liked how on the DirecTV guide you could hide SD channels if and HD one was avaliable. Also if you mainly hang out just in the 1000's you forget about channels you have that are only SD.

The main limitation of the system is the 4 video streams. At my home, I can have up to 4 HD streams going at once. This includes live and recording. If two TV's are on the same channel, they use the same stream. If you tune to a channel and their is not an avaliable stream, it gives you the option to kick another TV off or tune to a stream already in use. In our house this is not really an issue but in a larger household or in the home of a heavy video user this is a problem. The tech says there is talk of expanding to 8 but he said that would only be in areas where the service would be stable and that it has already been pushed back a few times. Not a big deal for us, but something CL needs to figure out to become a bigger player in the market IMHO.

Also they need a larger capacity DVR. Mine is the largest avaliable at 500GB

Conclusion

For the money, if you can live with some of the limiations, this is the best service for the money right now. I really feel like I am getting a good value for the price paid and I hope this service is successful in Omaha. This town needs a strong non-sat competitor to Cox. All consumers in the area would benifit from that.
post #9525 of 9589 Old 01-31-2014, 05:47 AM

Thank you for your review. I live in an area that has the same limitations you have and have been waiting for opinions like yours.
post #9526 of 9589 Old 02-19-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone heard did Cox get the ok to drop a public access channel? channel 22 was removed from our Tivo this morning.
post #9527 of 9589 Old 02-20-2014, 07:24 AM

Thanks for the review, I've been wondering about the service. I guess/wonder, do you know what the pricing will be after all promotions end, I'm not sure if I would save money over what I have now or not?
post #9528 of 9589 Old 02-21-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalbers View Post

Thanks for the review, I've been wondering about the service. I guess/wonder, do you know what the pricing will be after all promotions end, I'm not sure if I would save money over what I have now or not?

The only promotion on the TV pricing is the 2 year price lock. So the price of the TV service is the actual current price. I also have Free HD and whole home DVR service for life. After the two years it will just change to whatever the regular price is at that time. Also you get the bundle discount. The only real promotional savings is on the internet, which I get for $25 a month for 2 years. That is about a $40 discount. Keep in mind the TV package I have includes all non-premium stations, Showtime, Encore, whole home DVR, and 3 boxes.
post #9529 of 9589 Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 PM

Had my first negative experience with Prism yesterday. The creighton basketball game was a regional game on FSN yesterday. The guide showed the creighton game, however the game being broadcast was Northern Iowa vs Illinois State. This was not a network issue as every other provider in the area (COX, DISH, DTV) had the correct FSN feed for the creighton game. A call to CS said they would look into it but it was never corrected. If they screw up during football season as BTN does regional games that would be bad news for a company trying to make splash in the local TV market.
post #9530 of 9589 Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 PM

Sounds like someone fell asleep at the switch, or maybe out having a cigarette, LOL!
post #9531 of 9589 Old 02-25-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchmyjetta View Post

Had my first negative experience with Prism yesterday. The creighton basketball game was a regional game on FSN yesterday. The guide showed the creighton game, however the game being broadcast was Northern Iowa vs Illinois State. This was not a network issue as every other provider in the area (COX, DISH, DTV) had the correct FSN feed for the creighton game. A call to CS said they would look into it but it was never corrected. If they screw up during football season as BTN does regional games that would be bad news for a company trying to make splash in the local TV market.

Do the have more than one BTN channel? Also Cox at the start didn't have it. They had BTN for Iowa abd when Nebraska joined Cox and the other nebraska providers had to pay more just to get the football games.
post #9532 of 9589 Old 02-26-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

Do the have more than one BTN channel? Also Cox at the start didn't have it. They had BTN for Iowa abd when Nebraska joined Cox and the other nebraska providers had to pay more just to get the football games.

Right now I only have one BTN channel on my guide. I won't worry about it too much until we get closer to football season as it does not matter right now. These things usually work themselves out. It would be suicide for them as somebody trying to establsih themselves as a new TV provider in this area to not ensure every game is avaliable.

I think the Creighton game issue was somebody falling asleep at the switch as the Creighton game was listed on the guide. It was just dissapointing that they could not get it fixed before the end of the game. Otherwise I have been very pleased with the service so far.
post #9533 of 9589 Old 02-27-2014, 10:39 AM

For some reason, we're getting a Fox Sports feed for Missouri on CenturyLink Prism here in Omaha. I suspect it's being driven out of their Columbia, MO facility. When I scan through, I frequently see Oklahoma City or Memphis basketball and St. Louis Blues hockey.

CenturyLink has connected the correct BTN feed for Nebraska. Sometimes the channel guide isn't correct, but we haven't missed any Nebraska games.
catchmyjetta likes this.
post #9534 of 9589 Old 02-27-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerMike View Post

For some reason, we're getting a Fox Sports feed for Missouri on CenturyLink Prism here in Omaha. I suspect it's being driven out of their Columbia, MO facility. When I scan through, I frequently see Oklahoma City or Memphis basketball and St. Louis Blues hockey.

CenturyLink has connected the correct BTN feed for Nebraska. Sometimes the channel guide isn't correct, but we haven't missed any Nebraska games.

Good to know. Do you know if we get the correct FSN for KC Royals baseball?
post #9535 of 9589 Old 02-27-2014, 10:51 AM

We were receiving Royals games last September, IIRC. That's why I thought we were on a Missouri feed.
post #9536 of 9589 Old 02-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

WAIT, WHAT?

Cable doesn't give people in the BTN territory all the BTN feeds?
post #9537 of 9589 Old 02-28-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

WAIT, WHAT?

Cable doesn't give people in the BTN territory all the BTN feeds?

Century link might not have a contract with BTN to carry all Husker telecasts which Cox and Timewarner had to get when Nebraska joined the B10..

Cox has one main feed Nebraska and 2 overflow channels used during football.
post #9538 of 9589 Old 03-03-2014, 07:16 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

FSN Midwest is not out of Columbia but rather St. Louis. I don't think the CenturyLink/Prism system here (Columbia) has any way of delivering any of their programming to Omaha.  (Unless you are actually seeing Columbia-specific ads/a lot of ads with area code 573 phone numbers; then I stand corrected.) FSN Midwest is a St. Louis channel and unless local cable providers insert ads or programming the advertisements will be for the St. Louis area. Blues hockey, Cardinals baseball, Grizzlies basketball. The KC feed breaks away from the main St. Louis program for Royals games on participating providers in western MO, Kansas, Iowa, and Nebraska but it's not really a separate channel -- last I knew, anyway.  When I had Dish and DirecTV in Omaha, IIRC the St. Louis channel was the main feed and then during Royals games or other KC-specific programming the alternate channel (Dish) or 672 (DirecTV) would have content. 

Does Prism in Omaha have any other local ads?  It may be that they don't yet have ad-inserting in Omaha so they rebroadcast whatever is coming in on the network, which would be St. Louis ads and content on Fox Sports Midwest. When you watch other channels like ESPN, for example, do you get any Omaha or CenturyLink ads or all national?  How about on the Weather Channel -- Omaha forecast or national/regional forecasts?  

That said, if you are seeing OKC/Memphis basketball, that MAY actually be the Mid-Missouri feed based on this page:

http://msn.foxsports.com/midwest/story/nba-action-on-fox-sports-midwest-121713

Hmm! Since I used to live in Omaha and now live in Columbia, I am now really curious as to if there is some connection between the two systems...

post #9539 of 9589 Old 03-04-2014, 09:30 PM

post #9540 of 9589 Old 03-05-2014, 02:46 PM

channel 22 is a public access channel?

they purged most of the public access shows on channels 22 and 109 last year.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page