Omaha / Lincoln, NE - HDTV - Page 323 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #9661 of 9674 Old 03-29-2015, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by enabler View Post
Hi all, n00b here.

Anyone in northeast Lincoln receiving all the major networks with just an indoor or attic-mounted antenna? I'd like to drop TWC and hoping to not roof-mount, but my concern is NBC. I'd prefer to pick up WOWT but will settle for Hastings, as long as at least one NBC affiliate comes in.

Any advice/feedback?

IF you go to TVfool.com and enter your address it will tell you how close you are the the OTA Towers and which direction from where you live. I am in Omaha and am just using a cheap indoor antenna from Amazon ($14) and am able to pull in all the major networks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9662 of 9674 Old 03-29-2015, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Hi all, n00b here.

Anyone in northeast Lincoln receiving all the major networks with just an indoor or attic-mounted antenna? I'd like to drop TWC and hoping to not roof-mount, but my concern is NBC. I'd prefer to pick up WOWT but will settle for Hastings, as long as at least one NBC affiliate comes in.

Any advice/feedback?
NBC in Lincoln is in 2 spots
Channel 4 in Superior (KSNB)
Its also a subchannel on 10/11 (CBS).

As noted, list your tvfool report
post #9663 of 9674 Old 03-29-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 112
According to the rabbitears.info site, KSNB also operates a low-power UHF translator on RF18 in the Lincoln area.

http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1463839
post #9664 of 9674 Old 03-29-2015, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hi all, n00b here.

Any advice/feedback?
I'm picking up all of them in NW Lincoln, so I'm further from the Omaha stations but closer to the Lincoln ones. With that said, I have an attic mount antenna. I don't think you'll get much with an indoor, except maybe 31.1 (8.1's UHF translator) and 51.1. There are only three transmitters *in* Lincoln that I'm aware of. 31.1 (ABC), 51.1 (FOX), and 18.1 (NBC but I think it's SD only?). The other transmitters for Lincoln are in Beaver Crossing (8.1/ABC, 10.1/CBS, 10.2/NBC) and Mead (12.1/PBS).

If you get a decent VHF setup and point it west, you'll probably do pretty well on 10.1 and 10.2 (which is NBC now). If you point a UHF toward Omaha, you should be in great shape for NBC, ABC, CBS out of Omaha.

The only problems I found was 8.1 is a little dicey on some of my sets, but if I watch 31.1 (UHF) it works fine. You may have more trouble being a little further east, but 31.1 will be closer to you, so that'll make up for it. In addition, I couldn't reliably get 12.1 reliably until I added a second VHF antenna pointed toward Omaha. Being further east this may not be as big of a problem for you

I would recommend Zager TV/TV Reception Technologies for a "all-in-one" antenna setup that's ready to be mounted. That's where I got mine and have had pretty good luck. That's not to say that one from Menards or Home Depot won't work just as well, I'm just offering up my experience...

I don't think you'll have any problems with anything in the attic pointed the right way...unless your roof is lined in tin-foil...

Last edited by Opusnbill7; 03-29-2015 at 06:38 PM.
post #9665 of 9674 Old 03-30-2015, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opusnbill7 View Post
I'm picking up all of them in NW Lincoln, so I'm further from the Omaha stations but closer to the Lincoln ones. With that said, I have an attic mount antenna. I don't think you'll get much with an indoor, except maybe 31.1 (8.1's UHF translator) and 51.1. There are only three transmitters *in* Lincoln that I'm aware of. 31.1 (ABC), 51.1 (FOX), and 18.1 (NBC but I think it's SD only?). The other transmitters for Lincoln are in Beaver Crossing (8.1/ABC, 10.1/CBS, 10.2/NBC) and Mead (12.1/PBS).

If you get a decent VHF setup and point it west, you'll probably do pretty well on 10.1 and 10.2 (which is NBC now). If you point a UHF toward Omaha, you should be in great shape for NBC, ABC, CBS out of Omaha.

The only problems I found was 8.1 is a little dicey on some of my sets, but if I watch 31.1 (UHF) it works fine. You may have more trouble being a little further east, but 31.1 will be closer to you, so that'll make up for it. In addition, I couldn't reliably get 12.1 reliably until I added a second VHF antenna pointed toward Omaha. Being further east this may not be as big of a problem for you

I would recommend Zager TV/TV Reception Technologies for a "all-in-one" antenna setup that's ready to be mounted. That's where I got mine and have had pretty good luck. That's not to say that one from Menards or Home Depot won't work just as well, I'm just offering up my experience...

I don't think you'll have any problems with anything in the attic pointed the right way...unless your roof is lined in tin-foil...

A few years ago I tried using a variety of indoor antennas at various sites around Lincoln. Not a lot has changed signal-wise the last time so while your mileage may vary, here's what I found:

70th-84th corridor: Doesn't matter if you are in the northeast or southeast; Omaha stations are generally more reliable with an indoor antenna. A few years ago I could get only Omaha signals, nothing out of Lincoln (except occasionally 31) at 70th and Normal. Back in the analog days, KETV sometimes had a better signal than KLKN at 70th and O.
33rd and Vine: Can't easily get 4, 8 or 12. 10 drops out if antenna placement isn't good. No problems on 18, 31 or 51. Omaha 15 and 42 also are still pretty easy to get.
27th and Pine Lake: Can't get 4 reliably and 18 and 51 are starting to get a little more difficult. No sign of anything from Omaha or 12. 10 and 31 come in best; 8 is a bit dicey.
Airport area: No issues with any Lincoln stations except 4 but since it's duplicated on 18, no problem.
27th and Superior: No issues with any station but 4. 12 has some signal breakup but watchable. Omaha channels show up on signal receiver but not strong enough to lock. 8.x better signal than 31.x for ABC.

Getting 10/11's NBC shouldn't be too hard because it is available from two different signals -- 10.2 as well as 18.1. Possibly 35 as well -- I'm not sure; last time I was scanning OTA in Lincoln, 35 was a weak analog signal that didn't even work well at 27th and Superior. When I was last in Lincoln, KSNB had moved to near York but was still an Antenna TV affiliate, not NBC or MeTV. I did pick up 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3 in Gretna using an indoor antenna in December. I'm hoping to make it back to Lincoln sometime this summer and will definitely check out all the changes then.

A religious channel on 26 (shows up as 27 via PSIP) also comes in anywhere 18 does.

Last edited by JoelWNelson; 03-30-2015 at 06:10 AM.
post #9666 of 9674 Old 03-30-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWNelson View Post
A few years ago I tried using a variety of indoor antennas at various sites around Lincoln. Not a lot has changed signal-wise the last time so while your mileage may vary, here's what I found:

70th-84th corridor: Doesn't matter if you are in the northeast or southeast; Omaha stations are generally more reliable with an indoor antenna. A few years ago I could get only Omaha signals, nothing out of Lincoln (except occasionally 31) at 70th and Normal. Back in the analog days, KETV sometimes had a better signal than KLKN at 70th and O.
33rd and Vine: Can't easily get 4, 8 or 12. 10 drops out if antenna placement isn't good. No problems on 18, 31 or 51. Omaha 15 and 42 also are still pretty easy to get.
27th and Pine Lake: Can't get 4 reliably and 18 and 51 are starting to get a little more difficult. No sign of anything from Omaha or 12. 10 and 31 come in best; 8 is a bit dicey.
Airport area: No issues with any Lincoln stations except 4 but since it's duplicated on 18, no problem.
27th and Superior: No issues with any station but 4. 12 has some signal breakup but watchable. Omaha channels show up on signal receiver but not strong enough to lock. 8.x better signal than 31.x for ABC.

Getting 10/11's NBC shouldn't be too hard because it is available from two different signals -- 10.2 as well as 18.1. Possibly 35 as well -- I'm not sure; last time I was scanning OTA in Lincoln, 35 was a weak analog signal that didn't even work well at 27th and Superior. When I was last in Lincoln, KSNB had moved to near York but was still an Antenna TV affiliate, not NBC or MeTV. I did pick up 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3 in Gretna using an indoor antenna in December. I'm hoping to make it back to Lincoln sometime this summer and will definitely check out all the changes then.

And 18.1 was HD as My TV so I'm assuming it still is for NBC...
http://www.joelwnelson.com/tvscreeng...Lincoln%29.png
post #9667 of 9674 Old 03-30-2015, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Many thanks for the quick replies.

My TV Fool report (84th & O) looked favorable except for WOWT as a maybe at 46 miles. If I can at least pick up 10.2 with the other majors, I'll consider it a win. I had also wondered about Zager - if the antenna I ordered doesn't do the job, I'll give them a call.
post #9668 of 9674 Old 03-31-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Good News
NBC Hastings got moved to channel 10.2 so if you get channel 10 CBS you automatically got NBC 10.2
Most everyone in Lincoln gets channel 10 as it is very strong and close. I even get it near Omaha.
post #9669 of 9674 Old 04-15-2015, 07:18 PM

Windstream Kinetic Available April 15

Windstream rolled out Kinetic April 15th. Prices are pretty comparable with TWC for similar packages. Whole home DVR included in the price.

http://www.windstream.com/kinetic/
post #9670 of 9674 Old 04-16-2015, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
NEBRASKA:

The new LAFF digital TV subchannel network launched on Tax Day with affiliates including KLKN/8.4 (Lincoln).

The network features sitcoms from the 1990's such as

Drew Carey Show and Empty Nest and Spin City

and movie comedies from the past several decades and is run by Katz Broadcasting, which operates the Grit and Escape subchannels that KLKN also carries.

LAFF joins a crowded field of subchannel offerings but is the only one focused specifically on comedy. (4/15/2015)

http://northpine.com/

no word if KXVO will add it on 15.4 or 15.2 (hint, hint to KXVO in Omaha
post #9671 of 9674 Old 04-16-2015, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
Does anyone know if Omaha is scheduled to get anymore OTA channels? I see there are a ton out there as wells as new ones coming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ision_networks) and would love to get one of the children's channels as I have two young kids.

not likely. Omaha is stingy at adding new OTA channels.

There was supposed to be a 16.1 and 25.1 channels aka K25MM-D and those plans were scrapped.
post #9672 of 9674 Old 04-16-2015, 06:54 PM

Good Lord...8.4? How compressed are the rest of the signals going to be now? Ick...
post #9673 of 9674 Old Today, 05:48 AM

I'll run TSreader next time I'm in Lincoln (May) and see just what kind of output they have now. Can't be good. The ABC affiliate here (Columbia, MO) now has 4 streams on one channel. 2 "HD", 2 SD. The two HD are under 7 Mbps and the 2 SD are under 2 Mbps. The ABC signal (.1) can barely be called HD anymore. At least the main Fox signal is on another channel that has a 15 Mbps program stream since their transmission on the .4 subchannel is compressed down to 6.something Mbps.

I'll also check KOLN when I'm in Lincoln and see what their compression levels are with 2 HD + 1 SD. I'm guessing even with 3 SD feeds, KLKN .1 might actually be less compressed than KOLN's .1 let alone KOLN's retransmission of NBC on .2.

Seems to just go with the territory in 100+ markets. Quantity over quality subchannel-wise when there are only a small handful of actual stations to begin with. Same-channel duopolies and then adding trendy subchannel networks in addition. And don't even get me started about the VHF signals that are apparently popular in small markets.
post #9674 of 9674 Old Today, 08:49 AM

10/11 is definitely giving higher bandwidth priority to 11.1 here in Central Nebraska. 11.2 is like you mentioned "barely HD". Never thought I would say thank goodness for my Directv feed of NBC Nebraska. Usually like to watch the local affiliates via OTA. 11.1 is great quality but not 11.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWNelson View Post
I'll run TSreader next time I'm in Lincoln (May) and see just what kind of output they have now. Can't be good. The ABC affiliate here (Columbia, MO) now has 4 streams on one channel. 2 "HD", 2 SD. The two HD are under 7 Mbps and the 2 SD are under 2 Mbps. The ABC signal (.1) can barely be called HD anymore. At least the main Fox signal is on another channel that has a 15 Mbps program stream since their transmission on the .4 subchannel is compressed down to 6.something Mbps.

I'll also check KOLN when I'm in Lincoln and see what their compression levels are with 2 HD + 1 SD. I'm guessing even with 3 SD feeds, KLKN .1 might actually be less compressed than KOLN's .1 let alone KOLN's retransmission of NBC on .2.

Seems to just go with the territory in 100+ markets. Quantity over quality subchannel-wise when there are only a small handful of actual stations to begin with. Same-channel duopolies and then adding trendy subchannel networks in addition. And don't even get me started about the VHF signals that are apparently popular in small markets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception