Omaha / Lincoln, NE - HDTV - Page 329 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #9841 of 9866 Old 10-18-2016, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpflepsen View Post
In the past, the Lincoln DMA has carried different NFL games than Omaha. If that's worth adding an additional antenna...
So last Sunday, 10/16, in Omaha CBS didn't have a noon game on, did the Lincoln CBS station air a game at noon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9842 of 9866 Old 10-18-2016, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalbers View Post
So last Sunday, 10/16, in Omaha CBS didn't have a noon game on, did the Lincoln CBS station air a game at noon?
I think KMTV CH3 had a Nascar race? KOLN/KGIN had a game on, Cowboys/Packers?

I can't find a schedule for last Sunday to verify. But I recall a CBS had a game and another CBS had a race on. I was sleeping through the afternoon (working nights) and woke up to check games. I can see the St Louis MO CBS and that may be the CBS that carried the game, or it was the other way around. Some combination of CBSs had either game or race on.

Last edited by gpflepsen; 10-18-2016 at 10:40 PM.
post #9843 of 9866 Old 10-19-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I think KMTV CH3 had a Nascar race? KOLN/KGIN had a game on, Cowboys/Packers?

I can't find a schedule for last Sunday to verify. But I recall a CBS had a game and another CBS had a race on. I was sleeping through the afternoon (working nights) and woke up to check games. I can see the St Louis MO CBS and that may be the CBS that carried the game, or it was the other way around. Some combination of CBSs had either game or race on.
The car race from KC was on NBC or ABC in Omaha. Omaha CBS at noon had some paid advertising sales thing on until the 3:xx afternoon NFL game. I thought it was really strange they aired a paid sales thing instead of a NFL game, but they did in Omaha. If they had a game on down there I might try a VHF antenna to see if I can get those stations here. I'm around I80/680 so I'm not as far away as some in Omaha are.
FWIW: It looks like the CBS game, that wasn't on in Omaha, was the baltimore ravens @ new york giants game.

Last edited by rmalbers; 10-19-2016 at 07:24 AM.
post #9844 of 9866 Old 10-19-2016, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Quote:
Omaha CBS at noon had some paid advertising sales thing on until the 3:xx afternoon NFL game. I thought it was really strange they aired a paid sales thing instead of a NFL game.
CBS was the single-header network, last Sunday. Means CBS affiliates can air an early game or a late game, but not both. Fox was the doubleheader network, so Fox affiliates got two games. It alternates, so this Sunday, your CBS affiliate will have two, Fox one. To see who's getting what, try 506sports.com. Especially handy when you can get signals from two different markets.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #9845 of 9866 Old 10-19-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
CBS was the single-header network, last Sunday. Means CBS affiliates can air an early game or a late game, but not both. Fox was the doubleheader network, so Fox affiliates got two games. It alternates, so this Sunday, your CBS affiliate will have two, Fox one. To see who's getting what, try 506sports.com. Especially handy when you can get signals from two different markets.
Wow, ok, thanks for that! After hearing the explanation it all makes sense. Thanks for that web site, that really looks great.
post #9846 of 9866 Old 10-19-2016, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
You're most welcome #fullservicemoderator
post #9847 of 9866 Old 10-19-2016, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
No. In fact they went off the air for a time just before noon, or there were rare atmospheric conditions between my location and its tower that killed propagation. I think they carried the Chiefs/Raiders game, at least that was the schedule per 506sports.com. Looks like we get Oakland @ Jacksonville for the early CBS game and pretty much the whole country gets New England @ Pittsburgh for the CBS late game. The local Fox stations will get New Orleans @ Kansas City, but I won't be able to see it since I can't get Fox here.

aka N0NB
post #9848 of 9866 Old 10-20-2016, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Alright, wish I would've found this thread BEFORE getting everything purchased and hooked up but I have some questions.

First below is my TV Fool Report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d6dbd7029ed2c1

If for some reason the link doesn't work I did attach a PDF of my report.

Here is the antenna I'm currently using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Backstory:
Basically I purchased an antenna because I have Playstation Vue, which has worked phenomenally up to this point, but I am unable to watch locals live. So I bought the antenna and when I first got it put up, I didn't care about direction and just wanted to see what channels I could get and I can got 8.1 (ABC), 8.2, 8.3 and 8.4 and then 10.1 (CBS), 10.2 (NBC) and 10.3. The antenna was actually facing SSE and was pointed slightly at the ground (Lol I know, but I was like a kid on Christmas, I just wanted to see what channels I could get before messing with anything. Plus the Husker game was on and I wanted to catch the end of that live, not the one minute delay on ESPN3).

My Issue:
So then I stumbled upon this thread and wow what a **** ton of useful information. My problem is that I'm trying to get FOX out of Omaha. I tried facing my antenna East and while I was still getting a strong signal from NBC and CBS, ABC was on the fritz. Then I adjusted the antenna so it faced Southeast and now I get a strong signal from all three stations, although I still feel like ABC could come in a little better.

I saw someone mention on here to another poster that maybe pointing their antenna straight North would result in them being able to get FOX 42. My question is am I too far West to get FOX 42 out of Omaha? When I was a freshman in college I lived on the bottom floor of an apartment on the south side of Lincoln right by Tierra Park and was able to get 42 intermittently with an indoor antenna, so I think I should be able to get FOX at least a little shouldn't I?

I also am trying to figure out how I'm able to get the VHF channels when my antenna says UHF only. Maybe because it really is both but the manufacturer/Amazon didn't enter the information right, I do not know?

So hopefully one you can chime in and give me some direction on what to try next?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TV Fool Report.pdf (201.6 KB, 15 views)
post #9849 of 9866 Old 10-20-2016, 02:22 PM

That does look like a UHF only antenna, from the pictures in the initial description. It looks like the manufacturer also has other type of antennas that are pictured below the product description. If you got the one in the initial description, it looks like UHF. It looks like you are fairly close to the VHF towers so I can see you getting those stations, the signal would probably be stronger with a VHF or VHF/UHF combo antenna. As far as Fox 42, being 47 miles away, I'll let someone else handle that one, that is getting a little far so you would need everything set up optimally probably. Also what type of coax are you using and around what is the length of coax from the TV to the antenna? BTW: Basically, the length of the rods on the antenna determine the TV channel range, shorter rods/elements for UHF, longer for VHF. You can see that in some antenna pictures and the differences.

Last edited by rmalbers; 10-20-2016 at 04:00 PM.
post #9850 of 9866 Old 10-20-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
That does look like a UHF only antenna, from the pictures in the initial description. It looks like the manufacturer also has other type of antennas that are pictured below the production description. If you got the one in the initial description, it looks like UHF. It looks like you are fairly close to the VHF towers so I can see you getting those stations, the signal would probably be stronger with a VHF or VHF/UHF combo antenna. differences.
Yeah that certainly is a possibility. I have already looked into getting a dual VHF/UHF antenna.

Quote:
Also what type of coax are you using and around what is the length of coax from the TV to the antenna?
I'm currently using RG6 cable. I used some old cable I had laying around that was originally used to hook up Directv dish roughly 4-5 years ago. It was two pieces wound around the end of the dish and spent 3-4 years outside in the garage both were roughly 20 feet long. Not sure if that'll lead to the degradation of wire but just putting that out there.

As far as the length it's probably 30-35 feet from my TV downstairs and then to my TV on the main floor it's probably 50-60 feet long. That includes a coupler and splitter before it reaches either TV.
post #9851 of 9866 Old 10-20-2016, 03:02 PM

Just a quick note, you can use an 'antenna combiner' and combine a VHF antenna and your UHF antenna. There are different 'qualities' of coax, not all RG6 is good stuff so you might want to research that a little and make sure you have good stuff. Coax/signal loss at UHF freq. is high and it sounds like you have a fairly long run there. It looks like that UHF antenna might have come with an amp, check to make sure that works on VHF frequencies also if you try the 'combiner' idea or get a new amp that covers VHF and UHF. You mention a splitter, maybe an amplified splitter would help you out with that or put your amp right ahead of the splitter, there is a slight signal loss with a splitter. Also, that UHF antenna is going to have to be pointed correctly at the tower to have a chance at Fox 42 at the distance.

Last edited by rmalbers; 10-20-2016 at 04:03 PM.
post #9852 of 9866 Old 10-21-2016, 07:14 AM

What's the best kind of RG6 cable to get? I'll look and see what kind of cable I have when I get home from work. Although I think IIRC they're two different kinds of RG6.

I didn't like how I had to add a coupler either, so I'd really like to redo my wiring at some point. Plus I think you lose a bit of signal strength when you use a coupler anyway so that may be beneficial.

Also, I did try hooking up the amplifier. But when I did, I couldn't get ABC at all at. In fact the TV on the main floor couldn't even find it when I was searching for channels.
post #9853 of 9866 Old 10-21-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitruvianMan View Post
What's the best kind of RG6 cable to get? I'll look and see what kind of cable I have when I get home from work. Although I think IIRC they're two different kinds of RG6.

I didn't like how I had to add a coupler either, so I'd really like to redo my wiring at some point. Plus I think you lose a bit of signal strength when you use a coupler anyway so that may be beneficial.

Also, I did try hooking up the amplifier. But when I did, I couldn't get ABC at all at. In fact the TV on the main floor couldn't even find it when I was searching for channels.
You can't go wrong with Belden's 1694A but it will cost more. I don't know how much money you have to play around with, LOL! You do lose signal with a splitter but you can make it up with an amp, as long as the signal isn't 'close to noise level'/'real low'. Maybe that amp is UHF only.

Last edited by rmalbers; 10-21-2016 at 10:00 AM.
post #9854 of 9866 Old 10-21-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
You do lose signal with a splitter but you can make it up with an amp, as long as the signal isn't 'close to noise level'/'real low'. Maybe that amp is UHF only.
Well it is certainly possible the amp is UHF only. It didn't come with any directions, not that I needed them but there is a light on the amp that is red but it also turns green when I just kind of move it around. Not really a rhyme or reason that I've found to get it to stay green. So I'd like to know why it turns red/green so I can make the necessary adjustments to it.

Quote:
You can't go wrong with Belden's 1694A but it will cost more. I don't know how much money you have to play around with, LOL!
Lol, not a ton of money but I also don't mind paying extra for high quality items. What's a good site to buy this from? I saw Amazon has it but not sure if it is legit or not or if it's a good price. I think they had 100ft for $80 something.
post #9855 of 9866 Old 10-21-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Well it is certainly possible the amp is UHF only. It didn't come with any directions, not that I needed them but there is a light on the amp that is red but it also turns green when I just kind of move it around. Not really a rhyme or reason that I've found to get it to stay green. So I'd like to know why it turns red/green so I can make the necessary adjustments to it.

Lol, not a ton of money but I also don't mind paying extra for high quality items. What's a good site to buy this from? I saw Amazon has it but not sure if it is legit or not or if it's a good price. I think they had 100ft for $80 something.
You can see by the pricing that the good deals on it are by the roll, 500 or 1,000 ft. That $80 price sounds high. One thing you could try is a local installer who would buy it by the 1,000 ft roll, their cost would be the best and if you could talk them into selling you what you need for the right price, there you go. Personally, that's would I would try but I'm always looking for a deal! A local Dish network installer, someone that wires houses for cable/sat., or a TV shop that does antenna work might give you a deal if you talk right to them. Also, if you can't get the Belden don't sweat it, but I would go with the best stuff you can find, even at HD or Lowes, if you get the best stuff they have it won't be a disaster. That's strange about that light on the amp, real strange, maybe that amp isn't even working right.
post #9856 of 9866 Old 10-22-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Just a quick note, you can use an 'antenna combiner' and combine a VHF antenna and your UHF antenna. There are different 'qualities' of coax, not all RG6 is good stuff so you might want to research that a little and make sure you have good stuff. Coax/signal loss at UHF freq. is high and it sounds like you have a fairly long run there. It looks like that UHF antenna might have come with an amp, check to make sure that works on VHF frequencies also if you try the 'combiner' idea or get a new amp that covers VHF and UHF. You mention a splitter, maybe an amplified splitter would help you out with that or put your amp right ahead of the splitter, there is a slight signal loss with a splitter. Also, that UHF antenna is going to have to be pointed correctly at the tower to have a chance at Fox 42 at the distance.
Alright the two kinds of COAX I have are a MONSTER RG6U 2.2GHz TYPE CATV 18AWG and the other is Perfect Vision 80SC RG6 75 OHM High Performance 3 GHz 18AWG.

I also messed around with the direction of the antenna and couldn't get anything from Omaha to come in. I then tried to get Fox 15 (51.1) out of Lincoln and no dice on that one either. So then I just pointed the antenna at the CBS, NBC and ABC towers and am getting a really really strong signal from all three. So I figure I'll never be able to get FOX unless I move or mount the TV up higher which I'm not really interested in doing.
post #9857 of 9866 Old 10-24-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Alright the two kinds of COAX I have are a MONSTER RG6U 2.2GHz TYPE CATV 18AWG and the other is Perfect Vision 80SC RG6 75 OHM High Performance 3 GHz 18AWG.

I also messed around with the direction of the antenna and couldn't get anything from Omaha to come in. I then tried to get Fox 15 (51.1) out of Lincoln and no dice on that one either. So then I just pointed the antenna at the CBS, NBC and ABC towers and am getting a really really strong signal from all three. So I figure I'll never be able to get FOX unless I move or mount the TV up higher which I'm not really interested in doing.
Sounds good, I noticed that it looks like there is/was a small company in Seward that installs antenna's, etc. You might want to stop in there some time and talk to them about Fox reception to see if it's possible and what it takes, just to make sure you haven't given up to easy, LOL!
post #9858 of 9866 Old 10-30-2016, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Today is the rare day that Omaha and Lincoln have different CBS games

Lincoln gets the Chiefs at noon
Omaha gets the Broncos at 3:00

and you can thank sales for that....per an email from KMTV
We are getting the Chargers/Broncos. The decision came from Sales. Thought they could sell the Broncos for more $$. We had to ask CBS/NFL for permission, and they allowed it.
post #9859 of 9866 Old 10-30-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Today is the rare day that Omaha and Lincoln have different CBS games

Lincoln gets the Chiefs at noon
Omaha gets the Broncos at 3:00

and you can thank sales for that....per an email from KMTV
We are getting the Chargers/Broncos. The decision came from Sales. Thought they could sell the Broncos for more $$. We had to ask CBS/NFL for permission, and they allowed it.
That makes me wonder, is there anyone in Omaha getting Lincoln CBS OTA? If so approx. location and general antenna type and height please.
post #9860 of 9866 Old 11-01-2016, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That makes me wonder, is there anyone in Omaha getting Lincoln CBS OTA? If so approx. location and general antenna type and height please.
I live ~40 miles south of DT Omaha and get ch 8 ABC and the 10/11 CBS/NBC from their towers West of Seward. I use a VHF similar to this one linked below, mounted in the attic pointed about due West.

https://www.solidsignal.com/m/product.aspx?p=y5-2-6

I have a UHF Yagi style pointed towards Omaha for all the other stations; 3, 6, 7, 12, 15, 26, 36 (IA PBS) and 42.

Both antennas are combined using a powered combiner (uhf+vhf) at the antennas. The feed runs to the basement where it is split to about 8 locations. I never have much of an issue, pretty solid all the time.

Here's what I have for UHF:

https://www.solidsignal.com/m/product.aspx?p=mxu59

It seems the choices for antennas have really been reduces. That's a shame.

The combiner is similar to this, also discontinued... There's a "new" 7778 model that seems to not be the same, having only one input.

post #9861 of 9866 Old 11-01-2016, 06:55 AM

That's interesting, I did a quick map check and that looks like you are a similar distance as me from the transmitters. Maybe I should give it a try!

Quote:
I live ~40 miles south of DT Omaha and get ch 8 ABC and the 10/11 CBS/NBC from their towers West of Seward. I use a VHF similar to this one linked below, mounted in the attic pointed about due West.

https://www.solidsignal.com/m/product.aspx?p=y5-2-6

I have a UHF Yagi style pointed towards Omaha for all the other stations; 3, 6, 7, 12, 15, 26, 36 (IA PBS) and 42.

Both antennas are combined using a powered combiner (uhf+vhf) at the antennas. The feed runs to the basement where it is split to about 8 locations. I never have much of an issue, pretty solid all the time.

Here's what I have for UHF:

https://www.solidsignal.com/m/product.aspx?p=mxu59

It seems the choices for antennas have really been reduces. That's a shame.

The combiner is similar to this, also discontinued... There's a "new" 7778 model that seems to not be the same, having only one input.

post #9862 of 9866 Old 11-01-2016, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's interesting, I did a quick map check and that looks like you are a similar distance as me from the transmitters. Maybe I should give it a try!
Measuring on Google Maps, I'm 71.5 miles to the KLKN tower and 65 miles from the KOLN tower. It's 44 miles to the Crown Point tower site.

With conducive conditions, I can pick up KCAU CH2 from Sioux City, 133 miles away, but that's not reliable.

The antenna system work great for FM reception too!
post #9863 of 9866 Old 11-01-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 53
For VHF I would recommend either one of these (preferably the larger one)
little brother
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2475-/30-2475

big brother
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2476-/30-2476

This pre-amp has some good results by folks and has both VHF & UHF inputs (or you can use a combined antenna). This is readily available at Target, Wal-Mart, home improvement stores etc
http://www.rcaantennas.net/search/?sku=TVPRAMP1R
post #9864 of 9866 Old 11-02-2016, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
One tip about cable, it comes in a number of varieties depending on where it will be installed. Outdoor rated cable is what you'll want where the jacket can withstand long term exposure to uV rays. Be careful of "flooded" cable that has a sticky goo intended to prevent water contamination of the cable. It's rather nasty to work with. Regardless, F connectors exposed to the elements should be waterproofed with a product like "Coax Seal".

Indoor rated cable won't last long outdoors, so if ordering from online, make sure the cable is outdoor rated.

aka N0NB
post #9865 of 9866 Old 11-16-2016, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
is there any updates on yet to air Omaha stations

31.1 - KBLD

33.1- KAJS

34.1- KQLD

or when KOHA 48.1 is moving to 48.3
post #9866 of 9866 Old Today, 11:39 AM