KLKN-DT 8.1 ABC Lincoln NE 126° 18.5 31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 9589 Old 01-19-2004, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am willing to bet the reception for kptm depends on your reciever as well. I live at 159th and harrison, not very far from kptm towers... I printed a land map and ran attentas direct to the reciever, amped, not amped, omnidirectional, directional. No dice. Everything else picked up great, even recieved lincoln, etc... I have an sir-ts165 directv / dish combo. There are others on this post who recieved kptm.

If you are getting kxvo or kptm what is your reciever? I am betting 0 responses for sir-ts165.

Thoughts?

Daryl
post #1623 of 9589 Old 01-20-2004, 05:23 AM

I have the Hughes E-86 HD satellite receiver. I get KXVO great, and KPTM is not watchable right now. It has been watchable, but not lately. This is with a very small antenna on my chimney at 96th and Harrison. This area is on somewhat high ground.

Mike
post #1624 of 9589 Old 01-20-2004, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I see at the NFM Nebraska Furn Mart that they carry the Dish 811 and 921.

I wonder if they will be giving big Discounts on them durring the Berkshire Stock holders sale. I bought one share so I could get discounts there.
post #1625 of 9589 Old 01-20-2004, 03:30 PM

When you say that NFM " carries" the 811 & 921 , does that mean that they have them in stock? I didn't think anyone around here had anymore 921's yet.
post #1626 of 9589 Old 01-20-2004, 11:12 PM

csschrot - thanks for the referral to Jeff at "A Better Way".. I talked to him today, and should have my Dish 811 installed thursday..

I've got a somewhat off-topic question for anyone out there with Dish experience:
Since I'm gonna put an antenna up to pick up HD -- is there any point to paying the 5 bucks to get the locals (standard def) off the sat instead of just picking them up OTA?

I realize that most SD is VHF, and HD is UHF, but don't most antennas do both anyway?
post #1627 of 9589 Old 01-21-2004, 04:54 AM

Wow, did anyone catch the State of the Union address last night in HD? .. WOW!! I didn't know these things were broadcast in HD, but sure enough, i switched over from Fox News to ABC-HD, then NBC-HD.. Both had it..

Amazing.

Now, someone needs to tell Hillary that she needs a bit more makeup. OMG, she looks scary.

And, Kennedy looked pretty bad.. Man, did he get poison ivy or something? Geeeze..
post #1628 of 9589 Old 01-21-2004, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

evilpete,

You might need to get the locals so the OTA matches up on the guide with data. Otherwise, you may have to program it on your own your you wont have any guide data.

Let us know how or if there is guide data once you get it. I would go with out the local for now. If it does not work it is FREE to add the package later, but it cost $5 to downgrade or remove it.
post #1629 of 9589 Old 01-21-2004, 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ScottChez
evilpete,

You might need to get the locals so the OTA matches up on the guide with data. Otherwise, you may have to program it on your own your you wont have any guide data.

Let us know how or if there is guide data once you get it. I would go with out the local for now. If it does not work it is FREE to add the package later, but it cost $5 to downgrade or remove it.

Mine pulls the guide info from OTA, without paying for the local package.. Shouldnt be an issue.. Give it a try, if it dont work/ or if you get lousy reception on some channels, add the package.. 3 and 6 should be fine, but 7 being only analog might leave some to be desired for signal..
post #1630 of 9589 Old 01-23-2004, 06:54 AM

So I was looking at that offer from Dish Network, but I had some questions and I am hoping current users might be able to answer.

1.Do you have any problems with reception? Cable ads on TV seem to make a bid deal about how weather can effect picture quality, etc.

2.With using an OTA antenna with the HDTV box do you have to switch inputs to get the locals? Do they just show up on the box, under a different channel?

3.Anyone know if the Dish install includes installation of the antenna?

Thanks in advance.
post #1631 of 9589 Old 01-23-2004, 07:34 AM

redwood -
I just got mine installed yesterday, so I can't comment much on weather issues, etc..

The 811 receiver does include the OTA channels in the guide, so you don't have to switch inputs, it's just like changing to any other channel.

The package I got did not include an antenna - but I did not use the offer that KMTV has, which apparently does include an antenna. (Mainly because I only wanted a one-year commitment)

There is a thread in the hardware forum about the 811, where you can find out more about the specifics of this receiver..

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=333609
post #1632 of 9589 Old 01-23-2004, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by redwood
So I was looking at that offer from Dish Network, but I had some questions and I am hoping current users might be able to answer.

1.Do you have any problems with reception? Cable ads on TV seem to make a bid deal about how weather can effect picture quality, etc.

2.With using an OTA antenna with the HDTV box do you have to switch inputs to get the locals? Do they just show up on the box, under a different channel?

3.Anyone know if the Dish install includes installation of the antenna?

Thanks in advance.

1) It is true that reception can be interrupted by very heavy rain. The ads put out by cable are gross exaggerations. If your dish is mounted with a clean line of sight to the satellites and aimed properly you shouldn't be bothered by loss signals. Over the past 6-7 years I have experienced probably 6-7 total episodes. The weather has always been severe thunderstorms with an actual threat of destructive weather. I have never lost signal during normal rainy weather. I have never lost signal during the winter time.

2) The local channels are seamlessly integrated into the receiver box. All the satellite channels are 101 and up. The locals are on their respective broadcast number. The digital channels remap to their corresponding analog counterpart. If I want CNN, I punch in 2-0-0. To go to KMTV HD, I punch in 0-0-3-0-1 for 3.01.

3) A local ad (to Omaha) was advertising an OTA antenna installation. What the details are I don't know. Installing an OTA antenna isn't very hard, nor are they expensive. To get a feel for what you need go to antennaweb.org and see where you sit for directions to the broadcast towers.

I would call a local installer if you want to have a chance of having the HD receiver installed before the Super Bowl. Direct calls to Dish are having a few weeks wait. Demand for the HD 811 has far exceeded their anticipated demand.
post #1633 of 9589 Old 01-24-2004, 04:50 PM

Here is something wierd.

Today I was going to mount this antenna on my roof. But before we got it on the roof we tried it out to test the signal just sitting on our deck, The funny this is we picked up KPTM and KXVO fine, but when we mounted it on the roof, We couldn't pick up KPTM at all, but picked up Ch. 25, CBS in Lincoln. Any way to pick up KPTM also, I don't want an antenna sitting on my deck.
post #1634 of 9589 Old 01-25-2004, 01:11 PM

One week...i.e. 7 days to see if the "children" can "share the ball".

Come on KPTM! Show us u care.
COX, same goes for u.
post #1635 of 9589 Old 01-25-2004, 03:27 PM
mdg

I assume you meant KMTV not KPTM.
post #1636 of 9589 Old 01-25-2004, 09:00 PM

I have a problem. I am a DirecTV subscriber and they do not carry local channels in Omaha yet. I am sure this is not news to this forum. So, I have been using COX basic cable for the last year to get local channels, but I have gotten tired of paying them, even $10 for something that is free and not in HD.

So, I dug out a few antenna from the basement, ran a cable from the attic to the 'rats nest' where all the cables come together in the basement, and found a configuration that works for most all analog and some digital channels. I still need to get FOXHD, but I get KMTVHD great and WOWT sorta OK. I know I will need to get a better UHF antenna for the digital channels, but for now this works and I can cancel COX cable on Monday.

OK, here is my problem. UPN does not have an Omaha affiliate, at least not over the air. I am a fan of the show Enterprise and I don't want to miss it, but since I am ditching COX, I am losing UPN. I know that there is an UPN station in Lincoln, on channel 17, but I don't know if I can get that in Omaha. I don't know if they even offer HD.

I am close to 132 and Maple, up on a hill. I am hoping a better antenna will do the trick, but first, I would like to know if anyone else has had any luck with receiving this station in Omaha. Thanks for any advice.

David Griswold
post #1637 of 9589 Old 01-25-2004, 10:17 PM

Lincoln has no UPN station, Cox2 is your only hope. You could get Dish Network which would allow you to get a distant out of market UPN.
post #1638 of 9589 Old 01-26-2004, 12:08 PM

I recorded Cold Case in HD last night and watched it (MyHD, stock software.) They are always doing different things with the color and lighting on that show. I think it is just for dramatic effect to indicate the places in the show where they are flashing back to past events. I think it is intentional. Good show.

GRIZZ
post #1639 of 9589 Old 01-26-2004, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by davidgriswold
I recorded Cold Case in HD last night and watched it (MyHD, stock software.) They are always doing different things with the color and lighting on that show. I think it is just for dramatic effect to indicate the places in the show where they are flashing back to past events. I think it is intentional. Good show.

GRIZZ

You are correct, Cold Case is produced this way. I called CBS personally and that was the response.

MROOT: LENO is not on KMTV-HD, or KMTV.

Scot Krayenhagen
Director of Broadcast Engineering and Operations

KMTV
10714 Mockingbird Drive
Omaha, NE 68127

KMTV Channel 3
KMTV-DT Channel 45
Cox Communications Channel 05 & 805
post #1640 of 9589 Old 01-26-2004, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Cox cable has a Monoply on all UPN in Omaha. They bought the rights so no one can do free over the air here.
Its only on O2TV on cox.

Who to talk to about this to get it fixed: Email CBS- Viacom they own UPN.

Here is the contact for the Central Time Zone UPN Rep.

I have contacted this person in the past. They said they were happy with the 75% market coverage that cox gives them. I also asked for UPN in HD as they have several shows in HDTV (most major market show them in HD now).

I said that is 75% Omaha Metrol NOT the who DMA market of OMaha and Lincoln. And many do not have or want Cox.

I suggested that they add a UPN SUper Station like DishNetwork has. On Dishnetwork it is only $1.50 more a Month for one of the UPNs. If you want Two UPNS and 3 WBS it is $5 more a Month.

Anyway I sent the suggestion and they said they will research the idea and they were happy to know they have UPN fans in OMaha.

I would EMail them and let them know you dont want Cox and you want to watch UPN on Direct TV (dont tell them I sent you as they probably would not want a flood of emails caused by me).

Tell them you cant watch UPN and would love to watch many of there show either free over the Air or on Direct TV.

here is the address.

kafreedman@CBS.com Below is the Email.

I certainly can understand your frustration at not being able to receive UPN over the air in Omaha, and we here at UPN would like nothing better than to have UPN on a broadcast station in the market.

While I have been working to secure clearance of UPN in Omaha, the full power stations are committed to the other networks, so having UPN on Cox Cable reaching 75% of the market is our best option right now. I keep close watch on the market to see what opportunity for us may arise.

We are always looking to improve clearance and knowing we have such fans in Omaha will help in the effort.

Best regards,

Kate Freedman
Director, Central-Mountain District
UPN Affiliate Relations
post #1641 of 9589 Old 01-26-2004, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KMTV
You are correct, Cold Case is produced this way. I called CBS personally and that was the response.

MROOT: LENO is not on KMTV-HD, or KMTV.

My apologies. I have no idea what I was thinking there, and have removed the post.

Now....WOWT! Why is Leno never in sync in OTA HD!!

Mike
post #1642 of 9589 Old 01-26-2004, 06:32 PM

The link between Burbank and NBC is the problem causing Leno sound out of sync.
post #1643 of 9589 Old 01-26-2004, 08:47 PM
mdg

Does anyone else find it ironic that Cox has the monopoly on UPN (owned by Viacom) in this area which in not broadcast OTA and KMTV won't put CBS-HD( owned by Viacom) on Cox. I'm not suggesting a conspiracy of any kind, but it's just ironic. Maybe Viacom should give KMTV the UPN license instead We all know KMTV is dedicated to providing their signal to as many people as possible.

P.S. Scott you make it sound like Cox is the one monopolizing the UPN signal , but if you read the email you posted it is pretty clear by their response that no one wanted to pay for the UPN signal and pay to broadcast it. As we know from KMTVs posts setting up broadcast equipment is very expensive!! Cox bought it because the could for cheap I'm sure, you can't blame Cox for that. In this small of market, you can't justify paying for a new broadcast setup to broadcast the junk that UPN has. If there was a higher bidder , Viacom would have sold it to them.
post #1644 of 9589 Old 01-26-2004, 10:47 PM

Lincoln Channel 17....
Lincoln is part of a really goofy DMA that is Lincoln-Grand Island-Hastings.
OMaha isn't part of Lincoln or Vice Versa
Why? Complex reasons, but Oh, let's see...10/11 (Lincoln/Grand Island) as near as I can tell helps make this possible. Our "local" NBC affiliate is KHAS in Hastings.
So while Channel 17 in GI is considered Lincoln we are forced to watch it on Channel 18 or 56 on 1kw repeaters that cover Lincoln on a good day.
No way it will bounce into Omaha.

I went shopping for an HDTV and all I got was a Samsung!
post #1645 of 9589 Old 01-27-2004, 05:48 AM

I now have a much better understanding of the UPN situation. Everyday, I learn something more about the finer points of living in Omaha/NE. Sometimes, I wonder if I was better off being unemployed in Sacramento...

GRIZZ
post #1646 of 9589 Old 01-27-2004, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Cox is the problem with UPN.

If you look at the old Fox and WB License it says WB/UPN.

Then Cox came along. Now WB can not air any of the UPN shows like Star Trek.

With Out Cox they could buy the UPN content and Air the good shows over the Air.

Cox owns all the rights now.

Today with D-TV they also had the option to put UPN on a Sub D-TV channel. Even KM3 could do that. There is a station in Des Monies that does this with some UPN shows.

You just need to buy the rights, but right now Cox has a Contract on it. Its not up for a Renewal for a while.

KMTV is not owned by Viacom/UPN so they have not say in the rights.

Thats why I call it a Monopoly for Over the Air broadcasts.
post #1647 of 9589 Old 01-27-2004, 11:17 AM

Whoo-hoo!!!!

[Associated Press]

NEW YORK -- The Daytona 500 will be the first NASCAR race to be broadcast in high definition on network television.

The Feb. 15 race is being shown by NBC.

Besides a clearer and sharper picture, director Mike Wells said Thursday the HDTV broadcast will allow viewers to see more cars on the left and right of the screen than they would with standard television.

"It gives you that bigger feel," Wells said. "You feel so much more a part of the event."

The network has no immediate plans to broadcast future races in high definition.

NBC has had success with the Daytona 500 before. The network's broadcast of the 2002 race got a 10.9 rating, the highest ever for start-to-finish coverage.

NBC Sports, Fox Sports, Turner Sports, TNT and FX are entering the fourth year of a six-year, $2.8 billion deal to broadcast NASCAR.
post #1648 of 9589 Old 01-27-2004, 01:04 PM
mdg

How is it Cox's problem??? Viacom knew very well that Cox had no intention of broadcasting the signal. Nobody forced them to give Cox the contract. How is that a monopoly? Viacom/UPN sold it to the who they wanted to , nobody twisted their arm. Blame Viacom for giving a contract to Cox knowing full well that Cox wasn't going to broadcast it. If Viacom gave Cox a long term contract with no buyout if a broadcaster comes along that is their fault.
post #1649 of 9589 Old 01-27-2004, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Cox and UPN.

It is a monoply when Cox makes up FAKE call letters to make other investors think they are broadcasting over the air.

Go here click on find local station on the left.

http://www.upn.com/

They put in fake call leters.

Until last week it used to not even say cable channel to, it just said channel 2. I got them to change that.

The call letters belong to a west cost station.

Cox does not want anyone doing UPN over the air.

Kind of like they do not want to Pay KMTV 50 Cent for the HD feed.

As you can tell, I do not like cable.

"Stop feeding the Cable Pig"

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/g...sh/index.shtml
post #1650 of 9589 Old 01-28-2004, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My brother that lives in Crete (near Lincoln) picked up a Scientific-Atlanta high-def cable box model 3250HD from his Time Warner cable system. He told me the DVI video connector or the digital sound outputs (coax or optical) were not enabled. That's seems strange. Why is that? Does anyone have an opinion on this? Thanks.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page