Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 9599 Old 11-13-2002, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I ask this and it may show my ignorance. Both Jay and Warren: Do just these transmitters (DTV) show this level of vulnrability? Or do the analog transmitters fail with the same MTBF? Are you overdriving the equipment just to please us? Are the DTV transmitters more of a prototype setup waiting on more robust high powered equipment?

Just wondering.

I appreciate the effort you guys put forth to get Omaha ahead of so many other broadcasters in the DTV transition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 9599 Old 11-13-2002, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by gpflepsen
I ask this and it may show my ignorance. Both Jay and Warren: Do just these transmitters (DTV) show this level of vulnrability? Or do the analog transmitters fail with the same MTBF? Are you overdriving the equipment just to please us? Are the DTV transmitters more of a prototype setup waiting on more robust high powered equipment?

Just wondering.

I appreciate the effort you guys put forth to get Omaha ahead of so many other broadcasters in the DTV transition.

In KETV's case, I lost an isolated supply which develops bias and ION pump voltage for the IOT tube in my transmitter. From the meter readings, it appears the supply is working, but the status out of the board back to the IO panel is what is bad. Since this board is in the area of 36Kv, they bring back status via fiber optic cable for safety. I will contact the vendor tomorrow about a replacement board as it was after 5pm when I located the problem, and it was too late to get a replacement overnight.

This same board failed when the transmitter check-out was performed, and it was replaced then. There may be a weak area in the design of that board which may be corrected with a field mod from the vendor. I will discuss this with the vendor, and pursue the option of purchasing a spare board as well.

As far as pushing the transmitter, in my case, I have a 23kw transmitter running at 1.5kw so I do not over drive my temp DTV antenna. The transmitter is basically idling right now.

I hope to have a replacement board Friday. Sorry for the outage!!!

--Warren

Warren Behrens
Chief Engineer
KETV Hearst - Argyle Television
post #183 of 9599 Old 11-13-2002, 06:29 PM

Am I correct in saying that tonight (Wednesday 11/13/02), there are no OTA HDTV broadcasts in Omaha?

This will be funny tomorrow, but I just spent the last 3 hours messing with the Samsung SIR-T165 that I just got, trying both the Silver Satin antenna, as well as a Radio Shack Yagi that I bought tonight. I guess I shoulda checked the forums before I started questioning my sanity in trying to get an HDTV signal. Sigh.

Jeff
post #184 of 9599 Old 11-13-2002, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Just an idea.... Is it possible to have a small logo on the broadcast station's web site indicating if they are broadcasting in HDTV?

Something like a HDTV logo with a green or red light would be neat. That would keep guys like Jeff and I from pulling our hair out trying to tune in a non-existent signal. And I don't have a lot of hair to frivolously pull out
post #185 of 9599 Old 11-13-2002, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Glad I'm out of town this week and next. I had both digital channels stable last week. At the first sign of dopout this week I would have been up in the attic pulling things apart................

Keep plugging away gents. Your efforts are appreciated.

John

Building our dream theater one component at a time.. Thanks AVS for years of great advice and support!

Come visit The Pit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #186 of 9599 Old 11-14-2002, 05:54 AM

To the WOWT and KETV engineers:

Don't get me wrong, I agree with John. Your efforts are GREATLY appreciated! You guys have been great in posting your status on the AVS forum, and it's a lesson to us to check the forums >BEFORE< we start rewiring everything.

I am already smiling this morning about how it didn't even occur to me to think about there being no signal to receive. It was frustrating at the time, but probably nothing compared to the frustration you two feel in bringing up and testing this new HDTV gear.

I do really like gpflepsen's idea of an HDTV status light on your web sites tho. Maybe you guys can work on that in your "copious free time."

One final thought... how do we go about inviting the other broadcast engineer guys (and gals?) onto AVS so that we can hear about their progress in Omaha? I'm thinking about KPTM, KXVO, KMTV, and KYNE. I wonder if we could coax a Cox engineer on here too...

Keep up the great work!

Jeff
post #187 of 9599 Old 11-14-2002, 06:55 AM

Our DTV transmitter has been experiencing many odd problems lately. We have the "top guy" from the manufacture here to diagnose the problems. The frame was bent when shiped so we are performing a complete mechanical and electrical alignment. We found the combining network (allows the 10 solid state amplifiers to combine into the single transmission line) has been overheating. This burnt the line causing many of the amplifiers to shut down in a self-protect mode.

The analog transmitters are also finicky, but viewers at home rarely see the problems. WOWT, KETV, and KMTV all have dual transmitters at the 72nd street facility. If one transitter experinces problems, the engineers transfer over to the other system. If problems occur with the transmission line or antenna, all three stations also have back-ups at their original towers located downtown. It is extremely nice for stations in Omaha to have three analog transmitters.

I'll look into the web notice for DTV broadcasting.

Jay
post #188 of 9599 Old 11-14-2002, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by WOWT
It is extremely nice for stations in Omaha to have three analog transmitters.

Jay

Howdy Jay,

Any word on the PSIP "bug" yet? Also...

I think back in the mid 90's I took a tour of WOWT's facilities and I believe, if I recall, there is a huge tube based amplifier on the facility that only broadcasts in black and white. It's left over from the old days, but it's still kept at ready "just in case".

True or false? This may have been KETV... not sure.

-- Robert

Robert
post #189 of 9599 Old 11-15-2002, 07:58 AM

I am told that the software release will occur on the 18th (Monday) It should only take us a few hours to complete.

The Old transmitter may have been here. We moved our RCA 'E" line (purchased in 1967) from 72nd and Crown Point to the studio location approx 3 years ago. This was to replace the original transmitter (that was shipped to Haiti), to make floor space for the new DTV transmitter.

Jay
post #190 of 9599 Old 11-15-2002, 01:27 PM

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick note to let you know the DTV transmitter is operational again.

I also have the closed captioning running now. I only mention this should there be a problem, that is one change we made. It is in the new 708B format.

--Warren

Warren Behrens
Chief Engineer
post #191 of 9599 Old 11-15-2002, 03:08 PM

To keep from being outgunned by Warren, WOWT's transmitter has been repaired and is running at full power again.

Jay
post #192 of 9599 Old 11-15-2002, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

HD-Wars, gotta love it.

What are the long term goals for your stations? Once you stop broadcasting in the analog domain, will you continue broadcasting in the UHF spectrum or will you re-integrate your hardware to broadcast VHF?

John

Building our dream theater one component at a time.. Thanks AVS for years of great advice and support!

Come visit The Pit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #193 of 9599 Old 11-15-2002, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by johnwcookjr
HD-Wars, gotta love it.

What are the long term goals for your stations? Once you stop broadcasting in the analog domain, will you continue broadcasting in the UHF spectrum or will you re-integrate your hardware to broadcast VHF?

John

Excellent question John,

Let me attempt to answer this for you. When analog goes dark, the plan for KETV is to drop back to channel 7. This for a couple of reasons, first, VHF 7 - 13 seems to be the sweet spot of the band. The signal travels very well and there is not a great deal of impulse noise in that part of the band. Second, on the expense side of operations, it is less expensive to run a VHF transmitter as compared to a UHF transmitter.

That said, I need to see how channel 20 performs once I reach full power, and couple that with what the market will be broadcasting on. Meaning, if the other stations in the market stay in the UHF spectrum, I need to factor this in to the decision of where I stay. I could be the odd ball and be the only VHF station in the market. Plus, no one really knows at this moment in time if the FCC will force all DTV operations in the UHF spectrum once it is all said and done.

The crystal ball is a little foggy at this point.

--Warren

Warren Behrens
Chief Engineer
post #194 of 9599 Old 11-18-2002, 06:14 AM

Warren summed it up very well. At this point, no decisions have been made as to where everyone will end up.

Jay Nix
Chief Engineer
post #195 of 9599 Old 11-19-2002, 03:10 PM

We upgraded the software in our DTV encoder to address the issues of the Samsung T-150 receivers. The upgrade did not go smooth. I had to completely reprogram the encoder from scratch twice. I think the system is back to normal but if you experience any problems, please let me know.

Jay Nix
Chief Engineer
WOWT
post #196 of 9599 Old 11-27-2002, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well apparantly things are going well with you broadcasters. I've noticed stability in reception lately, and this thread has gone quiet.

Any one have an update for KXVO, are we still looking at mid-December?

I watched Back in the US with Paul McCartney tonight, disappointed it was SD 4:3, wish mainstream programs such as this were in HD or upconverted.

John

Come visit The Pit

post #197 of 9599 Old 11-27-2002, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Next Friday I should have both Sat and OTA tuning capabilities.
post #198 of 9599 Old 12-03-2002, 09:54 AM

I would like help on an e-mail campaign with Cox to let them know that we would really like to see more than the 3 (CBS, HBO, SHO) HD stations on digital cable. It appears as though both HDnet and Discovery HD are readily available to the cable companies, and I would >LOVE< to see HDnet on Cox. All of you Omaha HD heads, could you give me a hand?

Go to: http://www.cox.com/Omaha/ContactUsEmail.asp

Jeff
post #199 of 9599 Old 12-03-2002, 12:47 PM

Just talked to an engineer at KPTM/KXVO. He says the finally have a firm delivery date on the transmitter and expect to be on the air before Christmas. Hope they make it.

Doug
post #200 of 9599 Old 12-03-2002, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Good news indeed. Do you think we in Lincoln will be able to pick up KPTM/KXVO?

Now we just have to get KMTV 3 nailed down on when they will be up and running.

Does anyone know if Lincoln's ABC is broadcasting the ABC HD feed converted to 480p widescreen? KOLN/KGIN won't be on the air until well into 2003, from what I've heard.
post #201 of 9599 Old 12-03-2002, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's great news on KXVO Doug. KXVO would be the halfway point with the local PBS channels and CBS bringing up the rear in 03.

I would think that KXVO would be receivable in Lincoln, that tower would be closer to you than the big three in Omaha.

John

Come visit The Pit

post #202 of 9599 Old 12-04-2002, 01:29 PM

gpflepson,

John should be correct. They are going up on a tower SW of Omaha instead of Northeast. I belive they are also going up at pretty much their expected power levels. Given that we can receive KETV-DT 20 decently, I expect no problems with either 38 or 43. The really great thing about receiving Omaha DTV feeds is that one UHF antenna pointed from Lincoln gets both the NE and SW towers, plus PBS. Omaha people have to deal with multiple directions for their antennas. I personally haven't even bothered with aiming to get the Lincoln stations.

On your question about KLKN-DT in Lincoln. They currently are doing nothing with the HD feed from ABC, only upconverting their standard broadcast. They told me the HD gear was requested in the 2003 budget. Don't know if its approved or anything beyond that.

John,
My brother in law is at 42nd and 370. We are redoing his basement for a 100" front projection. Not sure what we'll do about antennas for receiving both the networks and KXVO/KPTM from his/your location. You done any thinking on this? He may just wait for COX to carry them too. Not sure...

Doug
post #203 of 9599 Old 12-04-2002, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Doug, so you're saying KLKN isn't passing the HD feed in ED form? I hope they get with the program.

Today my dish 6000U with OTA tuner showed up. Now I'm waiting for the TV, which is being held captive on a truck somewhere between here and K.C.
post #204 of 9599 Old 12-04-2002, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Doug,

I'm running an amplified Radio Shack stick in the attic (two story house), this in turn feeds a Channel Master 0062A four output amplifier (just installed yesterday). Since the installation I've had rock solid reception on both receivers. Signal strength went up 10 points for KETV.

I beleive I may now be good for the long haul. I may need a rotor but we'll see in a couple more weeks when KXVO begins broadcasting 1080i.

1080i on that 100"er should look great, I've a 106" down in The Pit and although I don't watch much TV down there (mostly movies) local digital programming does look great when it's available.

Regards,

John

Come visit The Pit

post #205 of 9599 Old 12-05-2002, 09:09 PM

Hello Everyone,

I finally got the antenna up in the attic (Channel Master 4221) and I am able to pickup WOWT from Omaha--I am located at 27th and Old Cheney in Lincoln. I get a solid 70-74 signal strength for WOWT but a get a sporadic 20-27 signal strenght for KETV, which results in no signal. I am using the RCA DTC-100 HDTV Receiver. Can anyone explain why, considering they are transmitting from the same location? Is KETV transmitting at a lower power than WOWT?

Dolby Digital: The channel banners show they are transmitting in Dolby Digital, but they never come in at Dolby Digital 5.1. It appears to only be 2 channel. Does anyone know why that is?

Thanks everyone!

Jeff
post #206 of 9599 Old 12-06-2002, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Jeff,

If you read back earlier in this thread you'll see that KETV is currently broadcasting at less power than WOWT.

Check WOWT during Jay Leno, it should then be DD5.1. During non-hd programming the audio will be DD2.0 because normal NTSC programming is typically 2 channel stereo broadcast as MTS stereo.

I think the acronym for NTSC stereo audio is MTS, memory fade here, anyway that all came about back in the mid-80's. Broadcast the normal mono audio channel and a L-R sub channel. The MTS recovery circuitry would then subtract the two and create the FM quality stereo analog audio channels.

Currently the boradcasters are just passing on the left and right stereo channels as DD2.0, the same stereo audio they use to create the MTS broadcast channel.

Glad your equipment is online and the pieces are starting to fall into place.

Enjoy, Merry XMAS.

John

Come visit The Pit

post #207 of 9599 Old 12-06-2002, 08:11 AM

John,

Thanks for the info!

I watched Leno lastnight but unfortunately it was only coming across in DD2.0. Same thing happens on HDNET but I have read that problem is due to DirecTV and not HDNET.

Thanks again and Merry Xmas to you too.

Jeff
post #208 of 9599 Old 12-06-2002, 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sprnova
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone explain why, considering they are transmitting from the same location? Is KETV transmitting at a lower power than WOWT?

Dolby Digital: The channel banners show they are transmitting in Dolby Digital, but they never come in at Dolby Digital 5.1. It appears to only be 2 channel. Does anyone know why that is?

Thanks everyone!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

My DTV antenna is roughly 500 feet lower than WOWT's DTV antenna, and my ERP power is lower as well. I am filing to increase power a bit as my temp antenna has a little more head room. Waiting on the authorization to do so.

On the Dolby Digital 5.1, you should see all 5 channels on your surround sound system when we are passing through ABC in HD. You might have your receiver in a DSP mode. You will only see two channels when we are upconverting the analog feed.

Warren Behrens
Chief Engineer
post #209 of 9599 Old 12-06-2002, 08:44 PM

Jeff,

I forgot to mention, if you are not using the optical output or digital coax output of your ATSC receiver feeding your surround system, you will not be able to receive the DD 5.1 channels of audio.

Sorry for the mistype above, I meant to type 5.1.

Warren

Warren Behrens
Chief Engineer
post #210 of 9599 Old 12-07-2002, 07:43 AM

Currently, NBC is not offering 5.1 on network programming. I read they are working on the issue but unfortunately do not have a delivery date.

Jay Nix
Chief Engineer
WOWT
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page