Fort Worth, TX - OTA - Terk set top antenna with long coax to TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-02-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Terk set top antenna.

I moved it upstairs and routed it through my existing cable coax wiring to get to the TV and now I can only receive 1 station. It has a small booster connected to the antenna and that is on.

When it was next to the TV (6' coax directly connected from TV to antenna), all stations were fine except channel 8. I had to raise the rabbit ears to get 8.
Now that it is upstairs (50+' of coax?), I can ONLY get channel WFAA 8. And my TV says that one is 97%. The other channels are 0%

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-03-2013, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Morris View Post

I have a Terk set top antenna.
I moved it upstairs and routed it through my existing cable coax wiring to get to the TV and now I can only receive 1 station. It has a small booster connected to the antenna and that is on.

When it was next to the TV (6' coax directly connected from TV to antenna), all stations were fine except channel 8. I had to raise the rabbit ears to get 8.
Now that it is upstairs (50+' of coax?), I can ONLY get channel WFAA 8. And my TV says that one is 97%. The other channels are 0%
Any ideas?

I've got a Terk HDTVa, presumably the same model you have and it performs very well here. While the Terk brand has its detractors, here in the favorable terrain of Ft. Worth (and that other town over to the east) , it's a usable antenna in our region.

I see two possibilities with your situation:

1). The silver UHF (Christmas tree) portion may not be plugged fully in. Look for the little red label at the end and make sure it's snug into the base. Maybe try flipping the UHF part around 180 degrees (not 90 degrees), to ensure a good connection to the base. Make sure the UHF elements are horizontal.

2). Your long run of coax may not be passing the DC voltage from the power injector to the preamp in the Terk HDTVa. One remedy would be to move the power injector upstairs and connect it there, closer to the antenna and before the coax run, thus bypassing the coax run for the DC voltage to the preamp in the base of the Terk.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-03-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fixed! I'd forgotten the UHF portion comes unplugged. I just had to push it in to engage it and voila! Thanks re!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page