Popping and Static like Crackling from Directv????!!!! - AVS Forum
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Popping and Static like Crackling from Directv????!!!!
Tarheel1400's Avatar Tarheel1400 10:16 PM 04-09-2013
So I thought I would start a new thread about this. I've already commented on a few others that seem related but didn't want to hijack (If I didn't already).

Much like this gentlemen (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466407/first-cinemax-now-hbo-has-crackly-audio-when-cranked-up-to-normal) I have noticed over the past 6 months I get what I can only compare to audio clipping from my speakers during loud action scenes in movies such as Chronicles of Riddick, Terminator, Sopranos etc. Its worse on some movies and show than others. The only pattern to is seems to be it primarily occurs during loud action scenes or scenes where a lot of noise may occur (plane engine flying overhead, fire burning, engines roaring, tires squealing, gun shots, explosions). I originally thought I blew the speakers out of my 4 year old LCD but purchased a B&W Panorama and the issue was even worse (I'm assuming amplified by the speaker). Its very subtle in some scenes but once your ear has become accustom to picking it up you notice it on almost every scene. I primarily notice the issue from premium movie channels such as HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Encore etc. I'm not ruling out the lower level mainstream channels yet but I just don't' watch those as much so I haven't been able to pick a movie with some action to recreate the sound yet. It may not do it on those channels but I'm certainly not ruling it out yet.

I proceeded to do some troubleshooting. It occurs on all tvs and all three receivers (2 HR24's and 1 HR44). It happens on live tv, recorded shows and video on demand. Directv has been out many times and changed out all my receivers to new ones, replaced my Swim16, LNB on the dish and played around with the ground as well. So far I've had no luck. All my software is up to date along with my firmware. I have an immaculate signal and have even installed a power conditioner (Panamax 4300) to eliminate the possibility of dirty power and that didn't change a thing. I've had Directv for the past 3 years and this issue started around 6-8 months ago so It wasn't always been an issue in my home.

I have no audio issues with Blue Rays or PS3 and like I said it occurs on all three tv sets which essentially rules out a bad HDMI or some sort of isolated interference on a specific set. I'm currently escalated to tier 3 tech support at Directv and a tech and his supervisor are coming out next week to look everything over again. I think the step after that is an Engineer coming out. Not sure how Directv will handle it from here.

I'm in the South Denver, CO area and according to my tech this is the first call regarding this audio issue he has ever had so it doesn't sound like its a prevalent issue in my neighborhood or at least to the point other people are calling to complain. I have seen a small amount of similar complaints online but there has never been a solution rendered or at least that was posted on those threads.

I love Directv but if I can't get this audio issue solved (which is ruing the experience of having high end equipment) I will likely switch to Comcast cable since Dish is another Satellite service and I'm not found of their customer service.

I would love to hear some theories about this. The techs seem lost so far (they are working hard to solve it) since its such a unique issue and I've spent countless hours experimenting with my equipment and settings with no improvement or change.

PureUncut's Avatar PureUncut 11:32 PM 04-28-2013
Hi,

Any updates to this? I experience the same issues with TWC. I also spent countless hours and nothing seems to change.
Up
Mobile  Desktop