Audio source for Soundbar AV system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I watch OTA broadcasts and run Optical Audio out from a Vizio TV to a Sony Soundbar AV system. I have 2 options for TV audio out to select from - 1) "Auto" which reads as Dolby Digital 5.1 on the Sony AV, and 2) "Force PCM" which reads as PCM 2.0 on the Sony. The PCM option sounds better (or louder really). My questions - Which of these 2 TV audio our options do you recommend I select? On a soundbar AV system that tries to mimic surround sound, which is better - DD 5.1 or PCM 2.0?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have Vizio's and 2 of them run vizio soundbars with wireless subs. Digital output can be set for DD or PCM. I find the DD out to the soundbars does not sound good with no volume and the PCM sounds great. I keep the SRS settings to off on both the soundbar and the TV. Pick the settings that sound good to you. I have yet to see a soundbar that is a 2.0 or 2.1 that decodes the 5.1. For OTA I use a 65 inch vizio in the living room setup with the digital optical out set DD into the AVR that decodes it to 5.1. Just because you have it does not mean you git it. Use the PCM as that gives the sound bar the full range of, or all the sound in a way that the soundbar needs to work with.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page