Raleigh, NC - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 15314 Old 11-19-2003, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You TWC customers of Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville area wanted INHD1 & INHD2, you got it starting Dec, 4 on ch. 291 & 292 along with a few other channel additions and some channel rearrangements. They added the INHD1/2 info today on the link below.

http://www.twc-nc.com/digital_cable/newchannels.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 15314 Old 11-19-2003, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Looks like there are some positives and some negatives ...

Negatives:

1. They're taking out FoxSportsWorld and the other regional Fox Sports stations off the digital tier and charging extra for them.
2. The new HD channels come at an additional $6.95

Positives:

1. Two new HD channels
2. A few new SD sports channels
3. They're keeping the current HD channels as part of the digital tier
4. They said "more channels will be added to the HD Suite at NO additional cost"
post #543 of 15314 Old 11-19-2003, 02:33 PM

Liked: 11
thanks for checking on the DVI port for me guys....

I havent' actually looked at one of the 3250 boxes that closely online or in person. So I didn't know whether they were I or D... thanks for the info. It would seem that I have no choice but to do a component transcoding if I want a VGA signal sent to my CRT... YUCK!! nothing like killing the picture quality with extra electronics....

thanks again for checking and the info!!

-------------------
Shane
post #544 of 15314 Old 11-19-2003, 05:04 PM

Still no sign of ESPN HD, and football is almost over. Would be nice if they could add it for our local basketball games.
post #545 of 15314 Old 11-24-2003, 04:47 AM

Newbie here. I just got a Samsung TS-160. No major issues with DirecTV HD programming nor with CBS (WRAL 5-1) or Fox (WRAZ 50-1). However, I'm getting digital on WTVD (ABC 11-1) and WNCN (NBC 17-1) but only in 4:3 lately. The first night I had the box I watched Leno in true HD (16:9), but after that its been in 4:3. Quality wise its certainly digitial but not wide. Are there any issues with 11 & 17 HD broadcasting in the past week or is it just my box? I assume the later since I haven't see any comments related to this. Thanks.
post #546 of 15314 Old 11-24-2003, 10:33 AM

I emailed engineering for WTVD & WNCN. NCN replied saying that "Someone had locked the switcher out so it could not switch to an HD feed". Apparently, its been like this for awhile and they iddn't know they had a problem until my email. This amazes me.... I didn't think that I was exactly an early adopter... I would have expected that the would have gotten calls.
post #547 of 15314 Old 11-24-2003, 01:01 PM

Interesting about ABC... Last night Alias was in 16:9 for the first 15 min then started having audio and video problems and then dropped off and came back in 4:3
post #548 of 15314 Old 11-25-2003, 05:23 AM

Looks like both engineers at ABC and NBC stayed awake last night. MNFB and Leno looked great.
post #549 of 15314 Old 11-25-2003, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

I also noticed the problem during Alias (doh!) - and it continued for The Practice. I also noticed they had it back up and running for MNF.

As for NBC, I never watch them - so I wouldn't have noticed.
post #550 of 15314 Old 11-25-2003, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I have called WNCN at least 15 times over the last couple of years and they always tell me that I'm the first one to call. They have their master control run out of Miami, FL along with a few other NBC owned stations and they just can;t seem to get things right. The only reason I have not called recently is because I have only been watching ABC and CBS shows live in HD and recording the NBC stuff. When the HD DirecTico comes out I guess I will have to be pissed off after the fact when the NBC recordings turn out to be of non HD content.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
post #551 of 15314 Old 11-25-2003, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Lee L
I have called WNCN at least 15 times over the last couple of years and they always tell me that I'm the first one to call. They have their master control run out of Miami, FL along with a few other NBC owned stations and they just can;t seem to get things right. The only reason I have not called recently is because I have only been watching ABC and CBS shows live in HD and recording the NBC stuff. When the HD DirecTico comes out I guess I will have to be pissed off after the fact when the NBC recordings turn out to be of non HD content.

The only HD station that seems to have any consistency for me is WRAL (and FOX for the most part). Even though basically everyone is on the same tower, theirs is the only signal of a consistent strength to prevent dropouts and such. So the only HD content I feel comfortable recording would be off those two stations. Stuff like Alias and West Wing I'll be likely to either not record in HD or record in both HD and standard. That seems like a bit of a waste, but until the other stations decide to up their power to match WRAL, it's the only reach choice.
post #552 of 15314 Old 11-25-2003, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

Originally posted by pkscout
The only HD station that seems to have any consistency for me is WRAL (and FOX for the most part). Even though basically everyone is on the same tower, theirs is the only signal of a consistent strength to prevent dropouts and such. So the only HD content I feel comfortable recording would be off those two stations. Stuff like Alias and West Wing I'll be likely to either not record in HD or record in both HD and standard. That seems like a bit of a waste, but until the other stations decide to up their power to match WRAL, it's the only reach choice.

WTVD-DT is already at max power. When tropo is good, I usually receive WNCN-DT before everything but WUNC-DT. Then WRAL, WTVD, WRAZ, WUNP, WLFL, WRPX, WFPX, and WRDC.

WRAL owns FOX50. Fox doesn't even DO HD yet, they do DVD-quality 480p and WRAZ upconverts it to 1080i (the only other station I know of that does it is WGHP in Greensboro which upconverts to 720p, the format Fox will eventually be using.).

I certainly wish I was maybe 20 miles south so I could watch Raleigh instead of Roanoke. Y'all are very lucky to have WRAL. Minneapolis also has a station doing a bunch of HD during the day from what I hear.

- Trip
Bitstream Admin

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #553 of 15314 Old 11-26-2003, 01:36 PM

I noted the problem on Alias Sunday - A similar problem kept cropping up last night as well on NYPD Blue.

Also, did anyone else notice NBC 17 was not doing HD Sunday night? I was able to get HD from 12-1 in Greensboro/WS, so it wasn't the network.
post #554 of 15314 Old 11-29-2003, 06:15 PM

I know, I'm not telling you guys anything new. Their HD feed is screwed up more times then its right. They must not think that anyone is actualy trying to watch their HD content. Have they've always been this crappy? Has anyone emailed the general manager?
post #555 of 15314 Old 12-01-2003, 12:25 PM

Liked: 11
yeah... I'm feeling pretty dumb right now...... after lots and lots of reading, lots and lots (and did I say lots) of testing, I now have every single HD channel on the Garner towers. all are amazingly strong, steady signals, and get even better when tropo is advantageous.

It took a lot of tweaking of positionning, running plenum RG-11 and actually removing the preamp to get everything working just right. The lightbulb went on over my head when I was actually getting better reception during bad weather than during good. With the preamp in the mix, I was actually overdriving the input on my HD card. I'm an idiot because when I moved to the new house, I didn't even bother to try the setup without the preamp. In my old location, where I didn't really have line of sight and relied on reflection, the preamp was actually needed because the signal strength was so low. But high above the roofline on my new place, with direct line of sight to the towers, I got a much stronger signal. Throw the preamp into the mix and I was overdriving things a bit (the oscillations were not pretty to look at hehehe).... by taking out the preamp all together, I got enough signal to lock onto all the stations. Replacing the crappy RG-6 coax with the RG-11 gave me enough gain back that it is just about perfect (this stuff only has about 4dB drop per 100foot run!)

ahhhhhhhhh.... it's so nice to watch all the high def shows without having to pay for them. It's so satisfying to know that I don't have to pay time warner cable to watch free OTA High Definition material.

Now each station still has it's quirks... NBC can not get their head out of their derriere to save their lives.... which makes it a good thing that I watch virtually nothing on NBC except a couple Thursday night shows.... I got so aggravated when night after night they wouldn't flip the switch for Leno, that I gave up. I sent email after email and didn't even get an acknowledgement that there was a problem and someone was going to do something about it.... I do like the various Law and Order shows... but they never seem to flip the switch for those either.... oh... and the gamma is waaaay off on their feed. Very noticable difference when directly comparing against the other stations.

ABC - still has the same issues they've had for months and months and months - picture dropouts. Every once in a while, regardless of signal strength, they'll drop the image for a split second. It annoyed the crap out of me during the hockey games last spring. Alias did it a few times last night as well. It happens on both of my HD cards. Maybe others don't experience the same thing.... the differences in audio level between programs and commercials is annoying as well....

anyways, enough rambling.... off to watch more high def stuff

-------------------
Shane
post #556 of 15314 Old 12-03-2003, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by deArgila
Looks like there are some positives and some negatives ...

Negatives:

1. They're taking out FoxSportsWorld and the other regional Fox Sports stations off the digital tier and charging extra for them.
2. The new HD channels come at an additional $6.95

Positives:

1. Two new HD channels
2. A few new SD sports channels
3. They're keeping the current HD channels as part of the digital tier
4. They said "more channels will be added to the HD Suite at NO additional cost"

I don't watch those extra sports channels anyway, so good riddance. I'll be adding the HD Suite tomorrow. $6.95 is pretty reasonable if considerable and fast expansion is planned with the package. If INHD and INHD2 are the only channels for the next year, bubbye!
post #557 of 15314 Old 12-03-2003, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by aldamon
I don't watch those extra sports channels anyway, so good riddance. I'll be adding the HD Suite tomorrow. $6.95 is pretty reasonable if considerable and fast expansion is planned with the package. If INHD and INHD2 are the only channels for the next year, bubbye!

Ditto for me--I'm not into sports, although I have caught a few 'Canes games in HD that were very nice. But I know a lot of people are, and it seems like the people backing HD seem to push the sports angle of it.
I browsed HD suite, or rather, InHD and InHD2, and to me, the content isn't there yet. Add to that, the fact that I can rarely watch 'live' tv, due to family and work, and I'm more interested in this next tidbit TWC mentioned:

"You also may be interested to know that Scientific Atlanta has designed a High Definition DVR. Smaller Time Warner Cable Divisions will test this new box in the next two months. We hope to have HD DVRs available in the 1st Quarter of 2004. Once a launch date is received, we will send out another email."

I'm all over that one! Currently I get more use out of my DVR than the HD box, although I do certainly enjoy the HD box [Discovery HD is the most consistently watchable, even if just for 'eye candy']. But add a DVR to that, that can record in HD, and I'll check the HD suite again.

As much as I don't like some aspect of cable, TWC-NC is making it easy and affordable [other than the tv] to get into HD, and I applaud them for that.
post #558 of 15314 Old 12-03-2003, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah - the best news about the HD Suite is that they'll be adding more channels at no additional charge - and they specifically said they would add ESPN-HD to the HD Suite "as soon as they could", citing next year as the likely date.

EDIT: In "hidden mode" - they have the channel bar for 290 as ESPN-HD, 293 as HDNET, and 294 as HDNET Movies. None are showing programming - just a black screen.

NICE!

Until there are more than the two INHD channels, I'll skip out on the HD Suite. Especially since it seems that the NBA games on INHD will be available to "all HD customers." Did anyone else read that the same way I did?
post #559 of 15314 Old 12-05-2003, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
deArgila, please forgive my ignorance: What is "hidden mode" and how do you enter it?

Thanks,

Sooke

Quote:

Originally posted by deArgila

EDIT: In "hidden mode" - they have the channel bar for 290 as ESPN-HD, 293 as HDNET, and 294 as HDNET Movies. None are showing programming - just a black screen.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #560 of 15314 Old 12-05-2003, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah - sorry about that. "Hidden mode" refers to the diagnostic mode.

What you do is hold down the "enter/select" button and the "exit" button at the same time until the word "diag" appears on the front of the box. Note: this must be done on the box itself, not the remote.

I was able to enjoy a two-week free preview or so of INHD and INHD2 while they were still testing it! Enjoy.
post #561 of 15314 Old 12-06-2003, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Cool! Thanks!

Sooke

Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
post #562 of 15314 Old 12-07-2003, 06:12 AM

Does anyone know where the towers are in the raleigh area? I'm in coats.. about 30 miles away, and I get all the channels... however, I get the PAX [like 5 subset channels] feeds... but nothing on them.. this happen to anyone else?

Also, anyone notice that for OTA, UPN and WB are going crazy lately...

it seems like every other night the channels change on them? Does this make sense?

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk. The difference? Alcoholics go to meetings.
post #563 of 15314 Old 12-07-2003, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
ALL the Raleigh DTV stations (except PAX and WUNC) are located within .5 miles of each other just east of Clayton - all of them except WNCN and WTVD are on the same tower ! WUNC's DTV is co-located with their analog tower close to Chapel Hill , and PAX is basically co-located with their's (WNW of Rocky Mount) (or down there by Fayetteville).

WB and UPN in the Raleigh area are operated by Sinclair Broadcasting - draw your own conclusions given Sinclair's "support" of DTV (not necessarily that of all their employees - just the "Corporate" position)...

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #564 of 15314 Old 12-08-2003, 12:27 PM

Last week, I noticed a very odd thing with my TWC service and my 3250HD cable box. I think I'm just beginning to figure out what happened, and it's kinda interesting.

I program all the HD channels into the "Favorite Channels" on my box. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that all the Favorite Channels above about channel 300 disappeared. Any attempt to re-program them wouldn't "take."

Then, shortly after the channel line-up change (was it Dec 4th?) all my previous Favorite Channels magically appeared again, ...with the new channel numbers! Obviously, TWC made some provision for moving people's favorite channels over to the new lineup. I'd always thought this was a "dumb" feature (it stores a list of channel numbers, period) but it appears there is some link between the network and the cable box for this feature.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting....

On another note, I signed up for INHD the other day. At first, the picture was horribly pixellated, but everything's cool now. I'm not sure it's worth the money at this point, but the programming is intermittently interesting (World According to Garp), and the PQ seems a little better than HBOHD and SHOHD.
post #565 of 15314 Old 12-08-2003, 02:53 PM

.... you gotta wonder if TWC is getting closer to having something arranged with ESPNHD. Instead of having a black screen on channel 290 (in "diag" mode) there is a notice that looks like one of the screens you get when you tune into a channel that you haven't paid for.

Rob
post #566 of 15314 Old 12-08-2003, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 545
I e-mailed the General Manager of WTVD (ABC) regarding the green flash/drop-out problems they've been having lately and he said he would look into it.

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #567 of 15314 Old 12-09-2003, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I noticed the same thing as Bob M. did. At first I was annoyed because I couldn't get HBOHD to "stick" in the favorite list. Now I have two HBOHDs, one at 411, the other around 285 or there abouts. Adding one automatically adds the other. (They are the same content).

Sooke

Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
post #568 of 15314 Old 12-09-2003, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gillcup
I e-mailed the General Manager of WTVD (ABC) regarding the green flash/drop-out problems they've been having lately and he said he would look into it.

Hopefully they'll find the problem and fix it soon... it has been happening now for what seems like several weeks on just about all ABC Primetime HD content.

Rob
post #569 of 15314 Old 12-09-2003, 01:38 PM

Wow...great thread.

Question....I will be getting an HDTV pretty soon. I currently have Directv and I will be looking for an OTA. I live in a townhouse and I don't really want to mount anything more on my roof, and I think putting it in the attic would be a real hassle.

I was wondering if anyone in the area has tried the Radio Shack 15-1880 or the Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antennas. How well do they work?
I live near Lynn Rd. and 70.

Thanks for any advice!

Chris
post #570 of 15314 Old 12-09-2003, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had the Silver Sensor and it was OK. I had to put it in an upstairs room on a certain side of the house to reduce the amount of "house material" it had to receive through. I finally stuck a Channel Master up in the attic and get *much* better reception now, but if your against attic or roof, it's worth a try.

Honestly, roof is always best (provided you can get a clear path to the towers). I'd seriously consider putting my OTA antenna on the roof if I didn't hate climbing on the roof and if I could put it on the back side of my house (I really don't want the antenna to be visible from the street).
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page