post #631 of 15309 Old 01-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Trip in VA
Well, Sinclair has no plans for UPN or WB in HD on many of their stations that I know of; this has nothing to do with cable.

No point in putting a standard-definition version of something available on regular cable on the HD section, right?

- Trip

True.

Ofcourse, after Buffy the Vampire Slayer was cancelled I personally don't watch UPN or WB.

Ahhhh, to have seen Buffy in HD... sigh...

Brings tears to my eyes.

Sooke

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 15309 Old 01-13-2004, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Raleighwood
Good news for Time Warner folks--I spoke with Matt in the Raleigh office yesterday, and apparently ESPN HD and "some other new HD channels" will be available on TWC "sometime in the next month or so". If someone has a way of getting more specific information, I hope you'll post it here.

Thanks Raleighwood.

Any word on when they will enable the DVI output on their cable boxes?

Sooke

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #633 of 15309 Old 01-13-2004, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was looking at the stats on the SA3250HD on SA's website, and it claims an option for firewire out. Whats the chance us TWC customers could get ahold of such a box. If nothing else, the fact that this option is aval should mean that the 169time folks could fix the box and enable it I would hope. Of course, I want this so I can PVR HBOHD off TWC.

box specs here:http://www.sciatl.com/news/03Apr07-3250HD.htm

For that matter the Pace 550HD has a firewire option too.
post #634 of 15309 Old 01-13-2004, 02:32 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by sooke
Thanks Raleighwood.

Any word on when they will enable the DVI output on their cable boxes?

Sooke

I believe the new Pace DC-550 box that Daryl reviewed and that TWC is now handing out has a DVI port, and I assume (danger Will Robinson) that it's enabled--that's what I hope to pick up this week and hopefully use to connect my TV. I guess there's no guarantee that it's enabled, though! Does anyone know anything certain?

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
post #635 of 15309 Old 01-13-2004, 03:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Re: SA3250 trick

I have the SA3250 box. I accidentally hit the bypass button on the SA3250 remote and got a message saying that there was a mismatch between my display mode and the signal from the box ... along with (incorrect) instructions to fix the problem.

So I go into to settings and adjust the display settings correctly ... instant increase in PQ of the image! Not very significant, by enough to notice.

Lazy Tom
post #636 of 15309 Old 01-14-2004, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Raleighwood
I believe the new Pace DC-550 box that Daryl reviewed and that TWC is now handing out has a DVI port, and I assume (danger Will Robinson) that it's enabled--that's what I hope to pick up this week and hopefully use to connect my TV. I guess there's no guarantee that it's enabled, though! Does anyone know anything certain?

Good luck. Everyone is trying to get an HD box for the Super Bowl. TWC is out of boxes. I'm getting kind of annoyed with the DVI situation. The warranty is running out on my TV and I still can't test the DVI port. Grrr. I'd get the Pace box in a heartbeat if they were available. The quirks on the 3250 (no DVI, no guide in S-Video and a tendency to reboot after stopping an iControl movie) are getting annoying.
post #637 of 15309 Old 01-14-2004, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have confirmation yesterday from the guy in my local TWC office that sent me my Pace DC-550 that the DVI ports IS ENABLED. He got one of the Pace boxes when I did and he got a DVI cable from the Morrisville office yesterday and hooked it up to his Sony KP46WT500 tv and it worked and that he did notice improved picture quality.
post #638 of 15309 Old 01-14-2004, 10:00 AM
tme

Hi,

For those who use over the air, I'm trying to decide between a Channel Master 4228 and 4221. I am 21 miles from the stations. The 4221 has a range of 45 miles. Do you think I will benefit from the 4228 and try to go for that? Also, do you think its ok not go get a rotator so I can get all channels except PBS?

Did you have any trouble with home owner's associations and either antenna? They want me to fill out a request with drawings etc, and I thought the 4228 might be too big.

Thanks.
post #639 of 15309 Old 01-14-2004, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Unless you live in a multi unit condo and do not have control over a patio or something like it, the HOA can;t say crap about an antenna used to receive OTA signals. Even them telling you to let them know before installation is against the FCC rules.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
post #640 of 15309 Old 01-14-2004, 11:47 AM
tme

Thanks Lee. You're right. I found the FCC ruling for over the air antennas. I'll call the HOA and tell them this.
post #641 of 15309 Old 01-14-2004, 11:51 AM

Can you post a link to this. I'm thinking I may have the same issues when I put up an antenna at my new place.

"There's such a fine line between stupid and clever" - David St. Hubbins
post #642 of 15309 Old 01-14-2004, 07:18 PM
tme

post #643 of 15309 Old 01-14-2004, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You don't have to tell the HOA diddly-squat (except maybe print out the OTARD to give to them as an attachment to your response to tell them to pound sand ) - just put it up if you want to. At most, if they can get the local FCC field office to agree that their restrictions are valid (not too bloody likely), after you get that notification, you still have 30 days to take it down,. But I rather doubt if anything will come of your putting the antenna up in the long run except YOU enjoying HDTV. Do READ the OTARD so you know exactly where you stand.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #644 of 15309 Old 01-18-2004, 05:00 PM
tme

I couldn't wait untill my install of a outdoor antenna (next weekend), so I went to BB to purchase a Silver Sensor. They were out of them, but they had a Jensen TV920. I thought I would just try it anyway. It works perfectly. I can get pretty much all the channels.. except PBS is kind of weak. I live about 20 miles away from the towers.

The TV920 doesn't look bad either. I put it behind my center channel and you can't really see it. Just thought I would share my experience.

I'm not sure I need to install the Channel Master now
post #645 of 15309 Old 01-19-2004, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Just installed TWC digital cable 2 weeks ago. However, Friday I noticed the D3 and D4 channels from WRAL (256/257, or something close to that?) were not available any more. Called cust service and they had to check and then they told me it was likely Marketing and that they would need to talk to them to find out and get back to me some time this week.

Though they should have significant input, I don't like the idea to have marketing calling (all?) the shots. The other digital channels from the other locals are still there. On their cable station line up online still shows we should have these channels. Perhaps it was something to do with D3 and D4 seemed to duplicate most (all?) shows. However, I really don't want to watch analog WRAL/CBS on channel 3 - much poorer PQ than the digital channel was. Of course on the high def system it's usually great, but casual watching and show recording is done on the TV downstairs.

I called in a lodged a complaint. I encourage others to do the same so that we have more impact/get WRAL back on digital tier (note not talking about their 24 hour news channel D2)??

dagger

PS. Who's got the email address of TWC-Raleigh for tech support/inputs?
post #646 of 15309 Old 01-19-2004, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure the TWC rep you talked to knew what he/she was talking about. D3 and D4 are almost always turned off - in fact, the only time I've seen them activated is during the NCAA tournament, when WRAL broadcasts all the games.

The reason for this is bandwidth. Rather than dividing the bandwidth for various multi-cast channels, WRAL chooses to dedicate the bulk of the bandwidth for their high defintion channel and one low-bandwidth 24-hour news/weather channel.

There's nothing to complain about - this is how it should be done in order to get the best high def picture possible.

Hope that helps.
post #647 of 15309 Old 01-20-2004, 01:14 PM

I recently got a new HDTV and been battling with TWC to get an answer on when they will have more HD Receivers. After reading this forum I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one waiting for one. Has anyone been able to receive any news or actual HD receivers in the last few weeks?
post #648 of 15309 Old 01-20-2004, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Just a suggestion for those waiting on TWC HD receivers for the Super Bowl- go to Best Buy and get yourself a samsung t-151 HD tuner and an antenna. Return them after the Super Bowl.

You might want to do this now so you can have a week or so to tweak antenna placement.

I saw a segment last night on the WRAL local news that there was a waitlist for HD boxes, and that it's unlikely they'll have more in stock come Super Bowl time - I don't know where they got that info, but if I were you - I'd go to Best Buy just in case.
post #649 of 15309 Old 01-20-2004, 01:26 PM

Actually right after I wrote to this thread I thought about the same exact thing. Now researching what is the best indoor antenna. Can someone send a link to where the towers are located so I can decide if a indoor antenna is even an option. I live in Raleigh NC area
post #650 of 15309 Old 01-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

deArgila - I can think of a few other digital and analog channels they should get rid of if bandwidth is an issue. In fact I think they should convert all the standard channels to digital and eliminate that tier. Would save them bandwidth and money and could justify lowering Digital package as compensation. (OK, cable lowering pricing won't likely happen without regulation/competition). Are you aware of the current bandwidth utilization and available on their HFC system? They said they would get back to me latter this week.

On HD boxes - I was given a refurb 3100 that has menu display focus issues. I'm getting a replacement. I checked again yesterday and they said Feb 1 is next scheduled shipment date.

Cheers,
dagger

PS. I'd like to know the location of the HD tower(s) also. Garner and Chapel Hill only? Others?
post #651 of 15309 Old 01-20-2004, 02:16 PM

you can go to www.antennaweb.org and it will give you all of the antennas.

Matt
post #652 of 15309 Old 01-20-2004, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

oops
post #653 of 15309 Old 01-20-2004, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

dagger - it's not TWC that has the bandwidth restrictions, it's WRAL.

Each local station is alotted something like 22 Mbps of bandwidth (someone, I'm sure can provide the actual number ... or maybe I'll do some research and update the thread). They allocate the bulk (18Mbps or so) to the high def channel, and the other 3+ to the 24-hour weather/news station.

During the NCAA tournament, for example, when they have all four digital channels activated, they alot like 5-6 Mbps for each SD channel.

You'll also notice that PBS does the same thing OTA - from 8:00 pm on, they turn on their HD channel, give it lots of bandwidth, and turn off two of their SD channels to compensate. TWC actually gets the feed a different way, so they leave all 4 or 5 channels on all the time.
post #654 of 15309 Old 01-20-2004, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

mbakman - ALL the Raleigh DTV transmitter towers (except WUNC) are located east of Clayton along I-40. However, I wouldn't necessarily count on indoor antennas pulling in the DTV signals - you might need an outdoors antenna to get them reliably. And for now, they are all UHF.

post #655 of 15309 Old 01-20-2004, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh - and the DTV channel (undivided) is on the order of 19.2 Mbps .

post #656 of 15309 Old 01-21-2004, 03:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
For the person trying to get the Superbowl.

I'd also suggest going with an over-the-air solution. I think you should try and get either the Zenith HDV420 (this tuner is more sensitive to weak signals, so it would be easier to receive the channels with this) or the Samsung T160, 165, 151, 351, etc.

As far as antennas go, try the Zenith Silver Sensor first. It's highly directional, so if it becomes too much of a hassle, see if Radio Shack has the Double-Bowtie available.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #657 of 15309 Old 01-21-2004, 02:40 PM

Thanks for great Antenna info guys but I just got a call from TWC saying they finally know when the HD STBs are arriving which is this coming Monday. I've asked them about running out by the time I get to their office and they assured me that they have ordered plenty more than demanded. Crossing fingers

I've asked them about the STBs and they said we would be getting the new Pace STBs.
post #658 of 15309 Old 01-21-2004, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mbakman
Thanks for great Antenna info guys but I just got a call from TWC saying they finally know when the HD STBs are arriving which is this coming Monday. I've asked them about running out by the time I get to their office and they assured me that they have ordered plenty more than demanded. Crossing fingers

I've asked them about the STBs and they said we would be getting the new Pace STBs.

EXCELLENT news, mbakman!! What office did you talk to that said that it would have the Pace boxes?

Along with finally being able to make the delivery appointment for my new TV, your news has made my day!

Dan

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
post #659 of 15309 Old 01-21-2004, 05:16 PM

I've received the news from one of the Customer Support Managers in the Raleigh office. I would say this I wouldn't keep my hopes too high on this because this is not the first time they told me that these boxes would be in on Monday

But I gave up on trying to get a honest answer from TWC
post #660 of 15309 Old 01-24-2004, 02:26 PM

I know this is an HD forum, but I have quick question about Time Warner's local SD signal quality.

Im considering buying an HDTV and was looking at a Gateway 56" DLP in Cary last week. The picture looked great on the satellite HD feed they had going. I asked them to switch to an SD feed so that I could see what that looked like. They put on a basketball game and the picture was absolutely horrible. Since I watch a lot of ACC basketball (produced by raycom, etc), which I suspect is not always broadcast in HD, the prospect of having to deal with a horrible picture after spending a lot of money on a new TV is really holding me back. Im hoping that the poor picture quality was due to a bad SD signal coming from the satellite.

So my question is, are the owners of HDTVs happy with the SD picture quality coming from TW signal in Raleigh? Am I correct that the raycom ACC games are broadcast in SD?

Thanks for any help.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page