Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 15335 Old 03-29-2004, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by gwall
does anyone know if it's possible to connect both a dvi and component using the SA3250 - and switch back and forth to compare and contrast PQ?

If you hook up a DVI cable to the 3250HD, the component outputs are disabled. So you can't switch back and forth very quickly at all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 15335 Old 03-31-2004, 10:12 AM

Are there any folks out in the woods of orange county (like me) that are getting good OTA signals? If so, what kind of antenna are you using? With the stealth that came with voom I can only get the wunc stations (4.x) but I suspect that the fact the the installer used a diplexor and installed the antenna at the bottom of my roof might have something to do with it...

Thanks for any help!
post #813 of 15335 Old 03-31-2004, 10:18 AM

mikedaul, is it possible the antenna is pointed in the wrong direction to get the others? I'm in Durham and pointing it West (toward Chapel Hill) gets me WUNC, it has to point east to get all the other stations.

"There's such a fine line between stupid and clever" - David St. Hubbins
post #814 of 15335 Old 03-31-2004, 02:53 PM

Just to give everyone a heads up- I've received word that TNT HD will launch mid-May on Time Warner Cable- in time for the NBA Western Conference Finals. It will be available with the digital hd package - like Discovery HD- no extra charge.

I'm guessing TNT will have select programming in HD while the bulk with be upconverted in the early going.

No new info on ESPN.

HD DVRs looking like a summer launch.

icontrol hd movies is on the horizon as well.

If you have specific questions, emailing TWC is the best bet (as opposed to calling). They responded in less than a day (actually within two hours) to my inquiry. I'm guessing the emails get routed according to topic - so I thought I would pass along.
post #815 of 15335 Old 03-31-2004, 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mikedaul
Are there any folks out in the woods of orange county (like me) that are getting good OTA signals? If so, what kind of antenna are you using? With the stealth that came with voom I can only get the wunc stations (4.x) but I suspect that the fact the the installer used a diplexor and installed the antenna at the bottom of my roof might have something to do with it...

Thanks for any help!

I am using the biggest radio shack antenna on an 8 foot pole on my chimney mount on top of my two story house about 5 mi. west of chapel hill. I have it pointed at the towers in Clayton and most of the time get all the locals on my samsung -151.I also have occasionally received wfmy in greensboro,but not lately. I usually get all of channels 4,5,11,17,22,28,30,40,and50. My antenna is about the biggest antenna people used to use for analog, but it works great for me on digital.
post #816 of 15335 Old 04-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by gwall
It will be available with the digital hd package - like Discovery HD- no extra charge.

OK, I'm thoroughly confused. Why have an "HD Suite" if you're not going to add to it? As it stands, there are more HD channels outside the HD Suite than inside!
post #817 of 15335 Old 04-01-2004, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by aldamon
OK, I'm thoroughly confused. Why have an "HD Suite" if you're not going to add to it? As it stands, there are more HD channels outside the HD Suite than inside!

Sounds like a good problem to have

I hope they do the same with ESPN HD whenever it shows up.
post #818 of 15335 Old 04-01-2004, 05:57 PM

Quote:

mikedaul, is it possible the antenna is pointed in the wrong direction to get the others? I'm in Durham and pointing it West (toward Chapel Hill) gets me WUNC, it has to point east to get all the other stations

Yeah, I imagine that's part of the problem too (the wunc tower is about 2 miles eastish from me, and the others are 37ish miles away to the west). Also, the antenna is at the bottom of the roof, so the whole roof is basically in the way of the other OTA stations. Ideally I'd like to use the existing stealth in conjunction with another antenna so I can continue to get pbs along with the other networks. Anybody know anything about doing something like that? Maybe I'll be forced into getting a rotator...

Thanks again for any help!
post #819 of 15335 Old 04-01-2004, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Mikedaul - that is absolutely impossible - don't you mean WUNC is 2 miles WEST and everything else is 37 miles EAST of you ?

I wouldn't be surprised if you'll need to raise your antenna above the house or moved to clear the house to get them in reliably.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #820 of 15335 Old 04-01-2004, 07:30 PM

Quote:

From what I heard in the past, TWC's goal is that when they add a HD channel like Discovery HD and already have the SD Discovery channel, then the customer should not be charged anymore (ie HD Suite). They want to put it in the standard digital package. If it is a brand new channel (HDNET) that is not available otherwise, then it will be added to the HD Suite at a premium. That is why it is taking so long to get ESPN HD. TWC wants to put it in the standard digital package, however the price that ESPN wants would require them to put it in the HD Suite. Why should we pay extra to get the same programming but just in HD (sometimes)?
post #821 of 15335 Old 04-02-2004, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dwwall
From what I heard in the past, TWC's goal is that when they add a HD channel like Discovery HD and already have the SD Discovery channel, then the customer should not be charged anymore (ie HD Suite). They want to put it in the standard digital package. If it is a brand new channel (HDNET) that is not available otherwise, then it will be added to the HD Suite at a premium. That is why it is taking so long to get ESPN HD. TWC wants to put it in the standard digital package, however the price that ESPN wants would require them to put it in the HD Suite. Why should we pay extra to get the same programming but just in HD (sometimes)?

Discovery HD Theater is NOT an upconvert of Discovery. It shows different programming. It's a different channel. The fact that it's outside of the HD Suite makes no sense. If/when ESPN HD gets added it will NOT be free. I guarantee it. That will confuse things even more.

Digital Tier: ABC, CBS, NBC, "FOX", PBS, TNT and the oddball Discovery HD Theater

Premium: HBO, Showtime

HD Suite: HD Net, HD Net Movies, INHD, INHD2, ESPN HD

Oh, and since the digital tier is not a free option, NO ONE on TWC is getting HD programming for free. You're already being charged twice for the same programming. The HD Suite is just more money on top of that. Triple dipping so to speak.
post #822 of 15335 Old 04-02-2004, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Discovery HD Theater is NOT an upconvert of Discovery. It shows different programming. It's a different channel. The fact that it's outside of the HD Suite makes no sense. If/when ESPN HD gets added it will NOT be free. I guarantee it. That will confuse things even more.

Digital Tier: ABC, CBS, NBC, "FOX", PBS, TNT and the oddball Discovery HD Theater

Premium: HBO, Showtime

HD Suite: HD Net, HD Net Movies, INHD, INHD2, ESPN HD

Oh, and since the digital tier is not a free option, NO ONE on TWC is getting HD programming for free. You're already being charged twice for the same programming. The HD Suite is just more money on top of that. Triple dipping so to speak.

Technically speaking, you're getting the broadcast HD channels (along with Discovery) on top of the standard digital programming - channels that you wouldn't get if you didn't have an hd box. With HD Suite, you're adding more on top of that-- more like a double dip than triple...

Adding TNT HD is a good thing- more HD is always good. I'm guessing the contract signed to carry the hd feed stipulated that there be no extra charge for it.
post #823 of 15335 Old 04-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 736
TWC now has 3250HD boxes with firewire output!!! I called today and was pleasantly surprised that the CSR knew what I was talking about when I requested an HD box with firewire. He said they had just become available today. For those of us with D-VHS recorders this is a dream come true.

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #824 of 15335 Old 04-05-2004, 11:09 AM

Anyone know if WRAL downgrades their OTA HD signal in comparison to what the send on TWC? I watched the Final Four games the other night on TWC and also recorded the OTA broadcast with my mythtv box. The picture looked fine on TWC but when I look at the OTA capture the picture gets kind of wavy/blurry whenever the camera has to pan in a hurry. An example is when the players go on a fast break and run across halfcourt the halfcourt line isn't exactly straight, its wavy...so is everything in the background (the crowd, etc).

I'm trying to figure out if this is the result of my mythtv setup or if this is just the result of WRAL saving some OTA bandwidth and sending a lower quality signal.
post #825 of 15335 Old 04-06-2004, 08:54 AM

Ignore my post, it turns out the wavyness was due to an interlacing issue.
post #826 of 15335 Old 04-06-2004, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I finally gave TWC the boot. Got tired of waiting for ESPN-HD and an HD-DVR.

In a futile effort to keep me as a customer, they offered the following information - some of which may or may not be old news to you guys:

TNT-HD will be added "mid-may" - free of charge to current HD customers (same way Discovery HD is offered). This channel will feature select NBA playoff games in HD and will upconvert most everything else.

ESPN-HD - still in negotiation. They mentioned something like a summer target launch - though that might have been the HD-DVR

HD-DVR - currently being tested in several small markets. They plan a full roll-out in the next couple months (possibly mid summer). No set dates.
post #827 of 15335 Old 04-07-2004, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So all TNT is planning to have in HD is NBA games? What a crock...seems if they are going to put together an HD channel, then they should air episodes of The X-Files, Law and Order, and whatever other shows were shot in HD in HD, as well as their original movies, non-original movies, and hopefully NASCAR in the fall. I hope youre wrong about the upconvert thing.
post #828 of 15335 Old 04-07-2004, 07:51 AM

I read that TNT HD will feature a mix of HD content-- including NBA and NASCAR events, original movies/non-original. Other programming not in HD will be upconverted.

So shows like Law and Order and the like should be in HD.
post #829 of 15335 Old 04-09-2004, 10:50 PM

So now what are you going to do for your HDTV content?

Quote:

Originally posted by deArgila
Well, I finally gave TWC the boot. Got tired of waiting for ESPN-HD and an HD-DVR.

post #830 of 15335 Old 04-10-2004, 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bagmouse7
So now what are you going to do for your HDTV content?

I would assume he's going to DirecTV, like I did way back when.

post #831 of 15335 Old 04-10-2004, 07:38 AM

I've been using an old SA 3100 for my Sony KP-53HS10 TV and a newer SA 3250 box for my Sony GWIII.

Yesterday, I swapped out the 3100 for a Pace HD box. I even got the elusive AT8400 remote with the # key for zoom modes.

I set the output to "pass" which is great because it lets the TV handle the incoming signals, line-doubling the standard channels, and "anamorphic squeezing" the high-def channels (this is a 4:3 set). I was switching back and forth between the s-video and component video inputs to accomplish this with the 3100, so the pass feature is great.

The problem comes when I tune to Fox channel 250, which I guess is 480p, rather than true high-def. When I do this, I get a yellow message on-screen: "This signal is not available" I can't tell whether the message is from the TV or the cable box, but I'm guessing it is the TV.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? The same input works fine for a progressive DVD player, so I don't understand what the problem is.

| Never mind, I figured it out. The TV apparently doesn't support 720p, and
| Fox must be upconverting their 480p signal to 720p. With the box set to
| "pass," the 720p signal is passed along, and the TV generates an error
| message. Too bad I can't set the box to upconvert only HD signals to
| 1080 -- it is apparently all or nothing.

Sean

"If you can't win, change the rules."
post #832 of 15335 Old 04-10-2004, 11:51 AM

Some interesting news. I emailed Time Warner and asked them about carrying HD versions of the WB, UPN, and Cinemax.

Here is their response:

------------------------
It is up to the local WB and UPN affiliates to broadcast in high definition. Both affiliates are owned by Sinclair Broadcasting - a company that owns many affiliates throughout the nation. They are currently not broadcasting in HD.

We may add Cinemax HD in the future, however there are a few other HD channels that we are trying to add first - ESPN HD being one of them. Negotiations are ongoing at our Corporate office.

We are adding TNT HD in mid-May. Also, be on the lookout for iCONTROL OD MOVIES this summer.
------------------------

Look, over there: ESPN HD. Always trying to distract me! I'm one of those few souls that has absolutely no interest in ESPN, though I'm well aware of the interest from others.

It is news to me that the local UPN and WB stations don't broadcast in HD. I just assumed they did, and had no way of knowing as neither of my HD TVs have HD tuners in them.

I'm also surprised that they haven't added HD Cinemax yet, and apparently aren't currently working on it. Aren't they owned by the same parent company as Time Warner?

Sean

"If you can't win, change the rules."
post #833 of 15335 Old 04-10-2004, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You need to do some reading of old stuff at AVS Forum about Sinclair and HDTV / 8vsb / COFDM...

Let's just say that I'm not too surprised that both of our Sinclair affiliates (22 and 28) are both doing LOW POWER (~9-10 KW) from their digital transmitters on the WRAL tower in Auburn. It also doesn't surprise me that they aren't doing HDTV either...

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #834 of 15335 Old 04-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Actually, for now - I'm using an antenna and a Samsung t-151 - so I'm getting my HD free. These are slow months for me as far as "cable" channels are concerned, so I'm happy to wait a few months, save some money, and then see what the game looks like between TWC and satellite come college football season.
post #835 of 15335 Old 04-13-2004, 11:22 AM

Does D*** or E**** actually carry the WRAL HD feed?
Thanks.
post #836 of 15335 Old 04-13-2004, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bagmouse7
Does D*** or E**** actually carry the WRAL HD feed?
Thanks.

Nope, right now you can only get the WRAL HD feed OTA or via Time Warner Cable.

post #837 of 15335 Old 04-16-2004, 02:56 PM

In case you haven't noticed, it looks like TWC is offering one month free of HD Suite.

http://www.twcnc.com/digital_cable/hd_suite.htm

They don't post any of the details like if you don't cancel at the end of the month they will charge you over and over and over again.
post #838 of 15335 Old 04-16-2004, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
They also show that TNT-HD is coming soon at no extra cost to digital subscribers.
post #839 of 15335 Old 04-16-2004, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I exchanged the 3100HD for a 3250HD today at the office in Durham. I asked for one with Firewire, but they told me that they don't have any with Firewire.

Do any TWC customers in the triangle have Firewire?
post #840 of 15335 Old 04-17-2004, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:

Originally posted by Erik Garci
I exchanged the 3100HD for a 3250HD today at the office in Durham. I asked for one with Firewire, but they told me that they don't have any with Firewire.

Do any TWC customers in the triangle have Firewire?

Erik,

I've asked for a firewire box and was told they aren't ready yet. If you read other posts in the hardware & HD recording forums, you'll see that TWC is giving out boxes with firewire in other locations. It seems we in the Triangle are doublely screwed; no firewire & no HD DVR. Other TWC locations have both. I suggest you escalate. Supposedly I'm on a waiting list to get one as soon as they are available. The FCC mandated cable companies have firewire by April 1st, 2004. I'm looking into escalating this to a higher (corporate) level and seeing if I can get some satisfaction.
Regards,

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page