AVS Forum banner

Raleigh, NC - HDTV

2M views 16K replies 879 participants last post by  LaserBeamSC 
#1 ·
Hello Raleigh/Durham area AVS folks. I have re-written this initial post and will try to make it a pointer to some relevant information about our community.

*For information about MUCH more than can be pointed out here in this intial post please USE THE SEARCH. Especially once you are within a large post, such as this one then click on the "Search this Thread" button beside the Thread Tools drop-down.

*For information about QAM reception I would direct your attention to this wonderful site maintained by Erik Garci -
http://home.roadrunner.com/~res18h39/channels.htm Digital TV Channels in Durham, NC[/url]

*For information about antenna reception (Off The Air) check out antennaweb.org. Plug in your address and it will tell you what type of antenna you need and which direction to align it.

* Our local uber-HDTV station WRAL gives away free antennas. Check out Antenna Give-away

* On the subject of free antenna's scsiraid pointed out this information. CLICK HERE

* Your physical location is often helpful in troubleshooting issues and answering questions. Be sure to edit your profile and put in your town and state.

There are a ton of good posts in the forum. My intention is not to re-write everything here in this post or to try to be the decision maker on choice A -vs- B. I would rather just have this post point out fairly routine information that is well documented.

Some posts or information I would like to point out include:

* What to ask for when calling TWC to setup your new HDTV.

* What to ask for when calling for DIRECT-TV service.

Send updates via private messages to WildBill. I will try to be prompt.

See less See more
#42 ·
ER looked great and so does Leno. Hopefully HDTv will be exposed to the public enough to create the demand for more programming.Most people just don't realize the difference in picture quality, and the people who work in most audio -video stores don't understand the system very well. I went into a radio shack to buy an antenna amp. and the manager couldn't understand how i got hdtv over the air. He said the only way to get it was by satellite dish. pitiful.

#43 ·

Quote:
Luckly I get ABC(WTVD), CBS(WRAL), NBC(WNCN), PBS, HBO and SHO in HD on TWC along with FOX(upconvertred to 1080i by WRAZ I think which I must say looks pretty good). So maybe TWC will add the others also as they go live. [/b]

Is the PBS the demo loop or the actual station? I live in Morrisville and I only have the PBS-HD loop with TWC...

Peter

#44 ·

Quote:
Is the PBS the demo loop or the actual station?

Mostly the demo loop but I notice occasionally some Latino family drama(movie I guess) thats on the actual OTA station in HD on the PBS-HD TWC channel at the same time.

I also watched WNCN-DT 17(55.1) lastnight and before ER they didn't flip the switch to HD but when ER started it switched to HD and boy was I glad. Looked good, much much better than having to watch the local NBC WECT-TV 6 analog signal out of Wilmington(WNCN is to far to get their analog signal too clear).

#45 ·
Bump!

Now that the WB(22-1, 57) and UPN(28-1.27) has gone Digital, I think we should bump this to the top.

#46 ·
I have an RCA F38310 HDTV. When viewing the program guide while in "Antenna" mode, all programming (both analog and digital) shows up as "Regular Schedule". When I view a program on a digital channel, the title of the program shows as "No Information Available". When I chose to show info about the program, it simply says "No Description Available".

Are any of the local Raleigh-Durham stations broadcasting program related information? If so, any suggestions as to what I might have set up wrong that's preventing me from seeing the info.

Thanks.

Steve

#48 ·
Hi Steve,

If I turn my antanna 180 degrees, I can pick up UNC digital channels. But they never braodcast any HD material. And since there is so much HD stuff on ABC, CBS, and NBC, and 480p on Fox, I have plenty of HD/widescrren programming to watch. So when ever UNC starts to braodcast HD stuff I might consider either putting up a seperate antanna or getting a rotor.

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveFitz1
Is anyone able to receive the UNC TV HD subchannel 4-2 OTA? I've seen this channel available thru TWC. It's also mentioned on the UNCTV website. I'm able to receive all the other UNC TV subchannels (4-1, 4-3, 4-4, 4-5), but not this HD subchannel.

UNC has said in the past that when all UNC DT sites went on line, they would activate -2 channel on all sites. Asheville is the last one to build and they are working on it now.

#50 ·
Hi Jimmy Goodman, WRAL-DT

I was very surprised to learn that you guys are not feeding through the network feed of the Victoria Secret special on Wednesday night. I don't understand this! Please explained to me while it OK to have people speak curse words on TV, show naked bodies on CSI, show more naked people on Sunday night Spy movie, ETC. You guys are setting a double standard somewhere. Like many people here is the Triangle, I don't see a problem with the show.

Sincerely,

Bruce A. Embry

Cary NC.

#51 ·
I'm receiving HDTV via TWC's digital cable, and projecting a 120" image...glorious

I've seen a couple of references to 22 and 28 going digital...Any ideas whether 1) SD, HD or both and 2) when TWC might carry these?

Also, what's a decent online guide for determining HDTV content in our area. I've tried titantv, but when I select Digital Cable option, nothing shows up as HDTV when I know that's not the case. Also, for those longer time TWC users, is it safe to assume that any HD OTA content is always rebroadcast via TWC, or are there instances when the HD feed from TWC is not available, even though the stations may be broadcasting (barring cable outages of course).

Hope these questions aren't too assanine

#52 ·
Currently SD - Sinclair is laying in an archtecture to make it easy to upgrade as money / programing become available...

No idea when TWC will start carrying..

#53 ·
Hi All,

Here is replay from Jimmy Goodmon of WRAL.

Bruce,

Good morning. I appreciate your input. To begin, the Spy Program material was a mistake that stemmed from a major oversight at the network. If you watched the 2nd half of the program this past Sunday you will notice that we edited the "risqué" parts out. But that's not what your asking I know. We decided to DELAY BROADCAST the Vic. Secret special because of a number of reasons. The main reason is that this is a one hour paid commercial from Victoria Secret. There is no drama, no plot, nothing~ We could argue this issue back and forth all day long. You can call us hypocritical if you want. We know that CSI and other network shows have questionable content in them, but these are long standing dramas and comedies that have a story line behind them. They are not one hour paid commercials. And we have simply delayed the broadcast of the program to 2:10am. Viewers who want to watch the program are offered the opportunity.

Thanks for your note,

Jimmy

#54 ·
For Immediate Release

November 19, 2002

Carolina Hurricanes to be broadcast in High-Definition

____________________________________________________________ _________________________

DURHAM, NC - In a unique partnership, WRAZ-TV/DT, Time Warner Cable, and The Carolina Hurricanes will broadcast ten Carolina Hurricanes games in High-Definition on WRAZ-DT and on Time Warner Cable.

Nothing demonstrates the advantages of HDTV like live sports, and the fast-paced nature of hockey showcases this new technology especially well. Digital viewers will be able to see the players like never before, and the 16:9 wide aspect ratio of HDTV as well as the exceptional resolution, will offer hockey fans unprecedented field of view and clarity.

HD captures all the incredible excitement of NHL action, said Tommy Schenck, General Manager, FOX 50 WRAZ-TV/DT. It really adds a whole new dimension to the game.

We are excited to be working with WRAZ and the Hurricanes to bring this exclusive programming to Time Warner Cable, said Tom Adams, President of the Raleigh-Fayetteville division of Time Warner Cable. The ten HD games will not be available on the satellite TV services, he added.

The Carolina Hurricanes 2002 NHL Eastern Conference Championship title propelled local hockey support to new levels, and as area hockey enthusiasm continues to grow, these High-Definition broadcasts will provide the local fan-base with the highest quality sports coverage.

This emerging technology is incredible for our sport, said Ken Lehner, VP Marketing Communications of the Carolina Hurricanes. This will only fuel the growing enthusiasm for Carolina Hurricanes hockey. Lehner added, The Hurricanes will be just the fourth team in the NHL that will be broadcasting in HD with a local rights holder.

To watch this select, ten-game package in High-Definition, viewers with High-Definition displays can turn to WRAZ-DT (channel 49.1 or 49.2 DTV) or to Time Warner Digital Cable channel 250. Time Warner Digital subscribers without a High-Definition display will be able to watch a standard definition broadcast of the game on digital channel 251.

Games to be carried on WRAZ-DT.

November 27 7:00pm EST vs. Vancouver

December 18 7:00pm EST vs. Tampa Bay

January 12 5:00pm EST vs. Colorado

January 20 7:00pm EST vs. St. Louis

February 23 1:30pm EST vs. Anaheim

March 4 7:00pm EST vs. Boston

March 7 7:00pm EST vs. Minnesota

March 10 7:00pm EST vs. Columbus

March 25 7:00pm EST vs. Toronto

March 29 7:00pm EST vs. Buffalo

Note: This schedule is subject to change.

For more information, call WRAZ-TV General Manager Tommy Schenck at (919) 595-5003; George Douglas, Time Warner Cable VP of Marketing at (919) 573-7092; or Ken Lehner, Carolina Hurricanes' VP Marketing Communications at (919) 467-7825, ext. 5200.

#55 ·
Is that true 720p/1080i from Fox or the same old 480p crap?

#57 ·
From what I understand, WRAZ-DT sends out a 1080i HD picture. If I'm not mistaken they even take the Fox Network 480p feed, upconverts it to 1080i and transmits it. Thats what I luv about WRAZ, they, like WRAL-DT are 1080i people.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

#59 ·
Yep,
I knew WRAL & WRAZ were both owned by CBC. That's why I included WRAL'S ID in my coment with WRAZ being 1080i people.

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl L
From what I understand, WRAZ-DT sends out a 1080i HD picture. If I'm not mistaken they even take the Fox Network 480p feed, upconverts it to 1080i and transmits it. Thats what I luv about WRAZ, they, like WRAL-DT are 1080i people.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ah....me understand, now keemosabie....

I was confusing FOX network with a FOX affiliate. So, if I understand correctly, WRAZ is our HDTV friend broadcasting in 1080i, while FOX is our lesser friend, filming most everything in 480p. So, while most HD content from FOX is upconverted 480p to 1080i, which looks crappy compared to true 1080i, the Carolina games will actually be filmed in 1080i by WRAZ, so no upconverting, and thereby a true 1080i picture.

COOL