post #9451 of 15335 Old 05-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyrd View Post

I have tried and discovered the Media Center does not support sub channels at least for guide data

Wow, if this is actually true it is shameful. The original poster might want to try SageTV. It is much cheaper than a Tivo, and gets the guide data correct, and can remap QAM.

Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9452 of 15335 Old 05-14-2008, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, well at least I know I'm not crazy.

I put a post here:
http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/262820.aspx

so maybe someone will post a way to do it.

Thanks for the replies.

I actually setup mythtv on this box, and then I got a Hauppauge 1600 which wasn't mythtv compatible. (or was it the 1800??).

Anyway. So I went to Vista MCE. And since I have an Xbox360 the VistaMCE seemed to make more sense.

But man, the lack of the minor/secondary channels program guide data is annoying.
post #9453 of 15335 Old 05-16-2008, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
OK, has anyone noticed a small black line on the right side of broadcasts from WTVD lately? It is about 1/4 picture height up from the bottom on the right. You might not notice it if you have much overscan as it looks to end somewhere around 5% in. I am doing OTA on 11.1 with my HR20-100 from DirecTV. It is on pretty much everything in teh last 2 weeks.

At first, I thought it was an issue with the box, but no other channels show it, then I thought maybe it was a result of th eweather crawls, but it has done it on a few shows were they never showed a crawl all night.

It is really no big deal, more of a minor irritation, but now that I have noticed it I cannot avoid it any more.

Also, did anyone else have some major glitching last night during Lost at around the 40 minute mark? Right when a bit character was telling a regular a very crucial piece of info about some previously unkonw relationships among them and other regulars, I got major dropouts and green blocks on and off for a minute or so.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9454 of 15335 Old 05-16-2008, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L View Post

OK, has anyone noticed a small black line on the right side of broadcasts from WTVD lately?

I've noticed it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9455 of 15335 Old 05-16-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I figured I'd look at the result and see how much of the much promised "any day now..." HD had shown up on TWC...

I currently have the Dish HD-only package + HD locals + HD DVR.. paying ~$47/month, with no discounts. For that I get 40 national HD channels (I am not including PPV or on-demand ch's in the count, I don't believe in trying to inflate the channel count) + the same 7 locals as TWC = ~47 HD channels (even after the recent loss of the Voom channels)

If I had TWC Digital + HD suite (but no premium ch), it appears I would get 22 HD channels (locals included in that count) for what appears to be $68 (digipic1000) + $7 (HD suite) + $8 DVR = $83/month

I have 5 months left on my Dish contract.. but I'm very happy with the result... it looks like I made the right choice (for me, trying to maximize HD availability with cost also a consideration), at least for this 18 month period. Twice as much HD, half the cost

Note, DirectTV has more HD than Dish, but doesn't have an HD-only pkg that allows it to cost nearly as little.

All information for this post pulled directly from the twcnc pages which I have to assume represent the most current information.
post #9456 of 15335 Old 05-16-2008, 09:46 PM

I have noticed these issues on WNCN through Time Warner Cable. Is it my imagination, is it WNCN's fault, or is it Time Warner Cable's fault?
  1. On really stormy days, the HD feed fails. Once, I noticed that the failed HD feed was replaced with an upconverted SD feed during one of these stormy days. Also, I saw that the NBC17 building was surrounded by plants when I passed it while driving on I-440. The plants look nice, but is one of them in the way of the HD feed receiver? Also, I have called Time Warner Cable to check the signal levels to rule out any problems caused by weak signals. The technician said that my house's signal levels were really strong after running many tests in my house and on the cable utility box near the curb.
  2. American Gladiators was a compression artifact filled mess when I watched it last night. Is TWC doing the HD Lite thing here with NBC17, or is NBC17 doing a bad job with compression?
post #9457 of 15335 Old 05-19-2008, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnv11 View Post

I have noticed these issues on WNCN through Time Warner Cable. Is it my imagination, is it WNCN's fault, or is it Time Warner Cable's fault?
  1. On really stormy days, the HD feed fails. Once, I noticed that the failed HD feed was replaced with an upconverted SD feed during one of these stormy days. Also, I saw that the NBC17 building was surrounded by plants when I passed it while driving on I-440. The plants look nice, but is one of them in the way of the HD feed receiver? Also, I have called Time Warner Cable to check the signal levels to rule out any problems caused by weak signals. The technician said that my house's signal levels were really strong after running many tests in my house and on the cable utility box near the curb.

I can only guess you are imagining this because according to TWC, Cable is totally impervious to weather while satellite goes out any time it rains.

Sorry, but I could not resist.

Maybe the engineer at NBC will check into this after reading it.

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check
post #9458 of 15335 Old 05-19-2008, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnv11 View Post

2. American Gladiators was a compression artifact filled mess when I watched it last night. Is TWC doing the HD Lite thing here with NBC17, or is NBC17 doing a bad job with compression?

NBC is still delivering HD over Ku Band satellite, so of course it fades out in a hard rain. Their C-Band delivery is supposed to be finished by the Olympics.

A G has always looked bad to me. It's obviously some up-converted stretched mess, but it comes to us that way. It looks bad coming in, so it is obviously not shot in HD.
post #9459 of 15335 Old 05-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK, has anyone noticed a small black line on the right side of broadcasts from WTVD lately? It is about 1/4 picture height up from the bottom on the right. You might not notice it if you have much overscan as it looks to end somewhere around 5% in. I am doing OTA on 11.1 with my HR20-100 from DirecTV. It is on pretty much everything in teh last 2 weeks.

At first, I thought it was an issue with the box, but no other channels show it, then I thought maybe it was a result of th eweather crawls, but it has done it on a few shows were they never showed a crawl all night.

It is really no big deal, more of a minor irritation, but now that I have noticed it I cannot avoid it any more.

Also, did anyone else have some major glitching last night during Lost at around the 40 minute mark? Right when a bit character was telling a regular a very crucial piece of info about some previously unkonw relationships among them and other regulars, I got major dropouts and green blocks on and off for a minute or so.

I noticed that during Lost. I thought it was antennae breakup, but maybe not..
post #9460 of 15335 Old 05-20-2008, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^I had no problems with Lost via TWC, FWIW.
post #9461 of 15335 Old 05-20-2008, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post

I currently have the Dish HD-only package + HD locals + HD DVR.. paying ~$47/month, with no discounts. For that I get 40 national HD channels (I am not including PPV or on-demand ch's in the count, I don't believe in trying to inflate the channel count) + the same 7 locals as TWC = ~47 HD channels (even after the recent loss of the Voom channels)

When they add SPIKE-HD, I may move to the HD-Only package (I NEED my UFC).
Do you have to own your receiver or can you do this package with a lease receiver?
post #9462 of 15335 Old 05-20-2008, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslate69 View Post

When they add SPIKE-HD, I may move to the HD-Only package (I NEED my UFC).
Do you have to own your receiver or can you do this package with a lease receiver?

I'm leasing a 622.
post #9463 of 15335 Old 05-20-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, last night during Dancing with the Stars the small black bar was there, in the same place, but smaller than before.

Also, on WRAL last night, they kept dropping out of HD to run the Amber alert. I know they are important, but why can;t they use the same crawl system as the weather where it stays HD? Since every time they do it, the sound goes dim first, then we jump back a few seconds and get sound again, then lose a few seconds going the other way when it is done.

post #9464 of 15335 Old 05-21-2008, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post

I'm leasing a 622.

Thanks for the info. That seems to be the Best deal going right now.
But I must correct my post; I need SPIKE-HD and my daughter needs NICK-HD before I can switch. Of course if D* added an HD-Only pack I would switch today.
post #9465 of 15335 Old 05-21-2008, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. That seems to be the Best deal going right now.
But I must correct my post; I need SPIKE-HD and my daughter needs NICK-HD before I can switch. Of course if D* added an HD-Only pack I would switch today.

Its not perfect for sure, but I get 90% of the channels I want at only 50% of the price (vs. other offerings), by getting the HD-only package. Luckily I can watch "The Daily Show" off the web (or could get it via iTunes). On the flip side, there's no way this package can last forever (1-2 years max I think), but for now its a sweet deal.
post #9466 of 15335 Old 05-21-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:

I can only guess you are imagining this because according to TWC, Cable is totally impervious to weather while satellite goes out any time it rains.

Sorry, but I could not resist.

Maybe the engineer at NBC will check into this after reading it.

During the storms yesterday I got a bunch of pixellation on several channels on TWC. Was the first time I'd seen it on cable, but it was pretty clear what was causing it as it came and went as the storm moved through and was fine before and after the storms. This included HBO, ESPN, Food that I remember.

Not sure if it was just my house (water getting into a connection somewhere) or more widespread.

-- Greg

post #9467 of 15335 Old 05-21-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

During the storms yesterday I got a bunch of pixellation on several channels on TWC. Was the first time I'd seen it on cable, but it was pretty clear what was causing it as it came and went as the storm moved through and was fine before and after the storms. This included HBO, ESPN, Food that I remember.

Not sure if it was just my house (water getting into a connection somewhere) or more widespread.

I noticed the same thing in my house.
post #9468 of 15335 Old 05-21-2008, 11:18 PM

I have Basic and Standard, and just hooked up a new HDTV. While I'm debating the merits of TWC's package vs. Dish & DirectTV, I figured I'd try out the stuff that's freely available on QAM.

While I get all the things that are listed on the Durham QAM listing page, there are a couple of others that come in. Most are public-access stuff, but one (78.6) is the digital feed of A&E.

Is this normal that the ocassional random digital channel is put in the clear?
post #9469 of 15335 Old 05-25-2008, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is it just me, or did anyone else notice funky audio from WTVD during the Indy 500 ?
I had one mono analog TV with a CECB (Philco TB100HH9) on 11.1 (OTA) , and another CECB (that I can't tell you) in stereo mode into my A/V receiver. It sounded like they were talking in an echo chamber on both of them - and this was the "announcer's voices" - the cars going by sounded normal..

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #9470 of 15335 Old 05-26-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice funky audio from WTVD during the Indy 500 ?
I had one mono analog TV with a CECB (Philco TB100HH9) on 11.1 (OTA) , and another CECB (that I can't tell you) in stereo mode into my A/V receiver. It sounded like they were talking in an echo chamber on both of them - and this was the "announcer's voices" - the cars going by sounded normal..

I noticed it, but it was slight. I believe it is an ABC thing. Why? Watch an NBA playoff game. It sounds like it is from a tunnel, regardless of the game site. Raise the volume and it worsens. TBS is not like that.

I'll speculate that there is some sound mix being attempted in a broad way on their broadcasts. The NBA games are so bad that I lower the volume, and can barely hear the commentary.
post #9471 of 15335 Old 05-28-2008, 04:25 PM

is anyone else having trouble with Time Warner QAM channels tonight?

I can get 4.1-4.5 (WUNC PBS) and 5.1-5.3 (WRAL CBS) to work, but no others. The others are all blank black screens. Earlier during the local evening news, 17.1 (WNCN) was showing very scrambled colors, unwatchable. Every once in a while an image would come through, and it looked like WRAL's news! I'm very confused as to what's going on, hoping it isn't an issue with my wiring or something. All was fine when I left for work this morning.
post #9472 of 15335 Old 05-29-2008, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

POSG, Where are you? and more importantly where is your SDV?

The thread is dead and figured it would be a good time for an update on why one should pick TWC over SAT in this market. Do we all have time to fulfill another contract with one of the SATs before TWC is HD competitive?
post #9473 of 15335 Old 05-29-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The thread is dead and figured it would be a good time for an update on why one should pick TWC over SAT in this market. Do we all have time to fulfill another contract with one of the SATs before TWC is HD competitive?

LOL!!! Hopefully after the Crapigator rollout is complete in June, SDV will get turned on and we will have some HD (and get rid of the current HD Lite).

It is ironic that the very thing SAT was accused of with HD Lite is now prevalent with TWC.
post #9474 of 15335 Old 05-29-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL!!! Hopefully after the Crapigator rollout is complete in June, SDV will get turned on and we will have some HD (and get rid of the current HD Lite).

It is ironic that the very thing SAT was accused of with HD Lite is now prevalent with TWC.
post #9475 of 15335 Old 05-29-2008, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post

I also wonder if any other markets have done the SDV switch already and if they are competitive with HD offerings now.
We all know just because a provider has capacity doesn't mean they are willing to add the channels.
post #9476 of 15335 Old 05-29-2008, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone with Navigator getting the On Demand channels?

When my 3250HD box was converted to Navigator two weeks ago, I lost all of the On Demand channels (except I still get one: channel 552 Kids On Demand). Last week I called TWC about it, and I was told that everyone is having problems with On Demand channels, and TWC is working to fix them.

post #9477 of 15335 Old 05-29-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci View Post

When my 3250HD box was converted to Navigator two weeks ago, I lost all of the On Demand channels (except I still get one: channel 552 Kids On Demand). Last week I called TWC about it, and I was told that everyone is having problems with On Demand channels, and TWC is working to fix them.

I have had no trouble getting the Answers on Demand channel, though the 8240HDC with ODN I have crashed when something caused the tuner to be stuck on its pay-per-view advertising channel after I hit the exit button and allowed the banner to leave.
post #9478 of 15335 Old 05-29-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:

I had some problems with a couple of On Demand channels last week but last night they were working fine.

8640HDC DVR - ODN 7.
post #9479 of 15335 Old 05-29-2008, 08:21 AM

Ever since we were "Navigatored" the on-demand channels have been unwatchable. Video freezes, etc. Didn't watch last night, hopefully its been fixed.

Frank
post #9480 of 15335 Old 05-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I watched "The Brave One" on the HD On Demand channel about a week ago. No problems at all. I have the 8300HD box. It got the Navigator update about 3 weeks ago.

Sooke

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page