Raleigh, NC - HDTV - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 15309 Old 08-01-2004, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NOt sure if this has been brought up since this thread is a little long to go through

ANyways I couldnt sleep so as I was scanning through the channel guide and i noticed there is a new channel entry for HD PPV on channel 270 . There is no info on it yet since it just appeared tonight.

Fernando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 15309 Old 08-01-2004, 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by macnbc
pats, I am running DVI cable out of my TWC SA3250HD box to my HDTV.. works wonderfully.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never really noticed a significant difference between the component cables and the DVI signal. I studied both carefully and I'm just not seeing any significant change. Maybe I just have bad eyes or I'm not looking for the right things though..

I'm running DVI from my TWC Pace box and also component cables. I see no discernible difference to my eyes in HD. On SD channels, I notice some "sparklies" on the DVI output but they're not there on the component.

Jarrett

Years have gone by and I've finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar of good football. I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: A pretty move, for the love of God. And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don't give a damn...
post #1083 of 15309 Old 08-01-2004, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by macnbc
Maybe it's just me, but I've never really noticed a significant difference between the component cables and the DVI signal. I studied both carefully and I'm just not seeing any significant change. Maybe I just have bad eyes or I'm not looking for the right things though..

What kind of display are you using? Is it CRT-based?
post #1084 of 15309 Old 08-01-2004, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wjarrettc
I'm running DVI from my TWC Pace box and also component cables. I see no discernible difference to my eyes in HD. On SD channels, I notice some "sparklies" on the DVI output but they're not there on the component.

Jarrett

BTW, I'm using a Toshiba CinemaSeries CRT-based monitor.

Years have gone by and I've finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar of good football. I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: A pretty move, for the love of God. And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don't give a damn...
post #1085 of 15309 Old 08-01-2004, 10:52 AM

Ch. 270 was the Tyson vs Williams HD PPV event- it looked great.
post #1086 of 15309 Old 08-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Jarrett - what length are you running the DVI cable? I have seen a number of posts stating that too long a run for a given DVI cable and/or quality of cable is the cause for sparklies. Runs over 25'-30' are tough, and shorter runs of poorer quality cables have been noted. Do a search in the projector and/or DVD player forums.
post #1087 of 15309 Old 08-02-2004, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Are the 'sparklies' only visible on SD content? I am running a Pace HD box with a 1m cable to a dtronics switcher with a 1m cable to my TV. Works great. I really dont see much difference between DVI and Component but am going to stick with DVI since Ive invested in the switcher.
post #1088 of 15309 Old 08-02-2004, 02:11 PM

Erik, My display is an LCD-type.
post #1089 of 15309 Old 08-04-2004, 04:24 PM

Hi All,

I've been a long time lurker here on AVS, but I just signed up. I ordered a Samsung HLN567W a couple of days ago (I couldn't wait for the new HD2+ model anymore) and will get it early next week. I want to switch my regular Time Warner digital cable box for a new one that can handle HDTV. I don't plan on getting the DVR option (which I know a lot of you are waiting for), so I'm wondering which model is the best one to request? I would like to get a box with the DVI output enabled. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Druze

New house = brand new entertainment system, baby
post #1090 of 15309 Old 08-04-2004, 07:34 PM

druze, the key piece of advice is to make sure that TWC does NOT give you a SA3100 box. That box is old and does not have any DVI output. I've also heard it has inferior picture quality.

The other two boxes in TWC's circulation right now (the SA3250 and the Pace box) are both popular, and both have people who love them and hate them.

I have the SA3250, and like it better. It strikes me as a well-built box that's pretty reliable and has a good picture quality. When it was first released, the DVI port did not function, however, it has since been activated, so this is no longer a problem. Some people really dislike how the 4:3 pillars are a light gray color on it. I'm fine with this since my HDTV is a silver color, so it blends well with it. This, however, might be an issue for some people.

Other people prefer the Pace box, as it's more recent, and was DVI compatible right out of the gate. I believe it has some additional ports that the SA3250 does not, HOWEVER, it does NOT have an RF output jack, which has peeved off a lot of people who use it for Tivos or what-not. Another complaint with the Pace boxes is that they have a much higher rate of failure than the SAs. I used to work for TWC-Raleigh, (I finished my job there last week, which is why I had a lot of insider information, I didn't want to say so at the time though because I didn't want to risk my job on it.), and while I was there, we had a whole bunch of people return defective Pace HD boxes. Some of them were fried entirely, many of them just had their clock displays screw up. While I was there, I saw no SA3250s come back defective. The Pace boxes do have black 4:3 pillars, and are more adjustable with their picture output options, which many owners love.

It's really a personal decision between the two.. both boxes have pros and cons working for them, you just have to decide what aspects of the box are more important to you. Either the SA3250 or the Pace will serve you very well. Good luck with your purchase.
post #1091 of 15309 Old 08-04-2004, 08:08 PM

Does anybody know what happened to the SD digital feed of WTVD (ABC) on TWC? I used to get the HD feed on 211 and the SD feed on 212. I'd use 212 when recording from my TiVo because I felt the picture quality was a little better when played back on TiVo (not sure why). But the last few times I've tried to tape something, I've ended up taping ABC News Now. It seems to be playing on this channel 24 hours a day.

WVTD's site was useless to me...

post #1092 of 15309 Old 08-05-2004, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
ABC (the network) started ABC NOW, and all the O&O (WTVD is one of these) are doing exactly you see.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #1093 of 15309 Old 08-05-2004, 08:15 AM

MACNBC of anyone else with a 3250HD box, I'd like to clarify how the picture controls work and how it would affect me. I am still using the older 3100HD box and here is how it works with my Pioneer Plasma.

If I have an NTSC channel I select the video input (which comes from the video composite output of the 3100 HD) can change the screen size to 4:3, zoom, full, or wide. If I go to an HD channel, my screen is blank.

If I select the HD input (which comes from the 3100HD component output) the only mode I get is full screen which means on an HD channel I get a full screen, letterbox, or 4:3 depending on what is being broadcast. I cannot for example make the 4:3 full screen by stretching it. If I tune the 3100 to an NTSC channel I get 4:3 with no ability to stretch it.

I've looked through all the 3250 Documentation at Scientific Atlanta and through the forum and it appears that depending on how I set up the 3250HD I can have my plasma work the same way as it does now, or if I have a remote with a # key I can stretch the HD picure to full screen when necessary. Is that correct? Thanks.

Bob D
post #1094 of 15309 Old 08-05-2004, 08:42 AM

Earlier in this thread a few folks mentioned TWC broadcasting in QAM. I'm interested in this and would like to know more. I'm pretty much a novice to HD and QAM so forgive if these are elementary questions:

1) Is it just HD channels or is it all of the digital channels for the locals?
2) Is this a "supported" mode by TWC...in other words, as a TWC subscriber, is this "legal" and if so, what level of service do you need to keep to receive these channels.
3) Is this temporary and these channels will soon be encrypted or is their long-term plan to keep these in the clear?

Any info you guys have is appreciated. Although I like the fact that I can get locals in HD over TWC, there analog tier of programming looks horrible on my HDTV monitor and I want to go back to DISH as my primary provider (good thing I never cancelled the account!)

post #1095 of 15309 Old 08-05-2004, 10:26 AM

Thanks so much, macnbc. I really appreciate the information. I think that if I had to purchase the box myself, I would go with the SA3250. However, since the box is free along with any maintenance, I believe I'll get the Pace HD box. I like the black borders for 4:3 material and with the DLP TV I don't have to worry about burn-in.

New house = brand new entertainment system, baby
post #1096 of 15309 Old 08-05-2004, 12:25 PM

macnbc-
what department did you work in at TWC?

wjarrettc-
From what I know, with a QAM tuner you can pick up the local HD networks and possibly TNT and Discovery HD - but it is not supported by TWC.

As far as your analog channels go, try adjusting the color levels (you've probably done this). I spent a few hours getting the levels right on the HD side of things as well as the analog and digital channels. The time spent made a world of difference and my stuff looks great.
post #1097 of 15309 Old 08-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

while we're talking about TWC and QAM support - any idea if you can pick up the other digital cable channels with a QAM tuner? ESPN News, MTV2, SpeedTV, Fox sports world, etc.?

if so i'd be mighty interested since there's no HD DVR in the area yet, i'm not willing to get the regular DVR and have two set top boxes to deal with, my replaytv can't record those channels as of now (without the major kludge that i'm using for now)...but i might be willing to setup my PC to do the recording with a QAM tuner....

Westinghouse 42w2 1.00 | TiVo HD 1TB | Sony DVP-NS70H | Panasonic SA-XR55 | Paradigm Monitor 9 & CC-350 v1 | Harmony 676 | Vista MCE HTPC
post #1098 of 15309 Old 08-06-2004, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mikea28
while we're talking about TWC and QAM support - any idea if you can pick up the other digital cable channels with a QAM tuner? ESPN News, MTV2, SpeedTV, Fox sports world, etc.?

if so i'd be mighty interested since there's no HD DVR in the area yet, i'm not willing to get the regular DVR and have two set top boxes to deal with, my replaytv can't record those channels as of now (without the major kludge that i'm using for now)...but i might be willing to setup my PC to do the recording with a QAM tuner....

Here are the QAM channels that I've mapped out. My TV doesn't do a good job filtering out channels that have no signal, so it's really tedious to find the channels.

84.2 Local religious channel
84.3 TNT-HD
85.1 WRAL-DT (CBS)
85.2 WRAL-HD (CBS)
85.3 WRAL News Channel
90.1 PBS DT
90.2 PBS HD
90.3 WUNC Kids
90.4 WUNC Educational
90.5 WUNC North Carolina
93.1 Discovery HD Theatre
104.9 League pass in demand preview loop
106.1 Icontrol preview loop
106.3 Indemand preview loop
111.1 News 14 Carolina (SD)
111.2 WNCN HD (NBC)
111.3 WNCN DT (NBC)
113.1 WRAZ HD (FOX)
113.2 WRAZ DT (FOX)
113.3 WTVD HD (ABC)
113.4 WTVD DT (ABC)
113.5 WTVD Weather
113.6 WRAL Weather
114.1 ESPN Now (SD)
post #1099 of 15309 Old 08-06-2004, 10:52 AM

Mswilson, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the post! However, I used to be able to tune to most of the channels that you've listed but can't seem to lock onto the signals anymore. What level of service do you have from TWC?
post #1100 of 15309 Old 08-06-2004, 11:08 AM

DIGIPiC 1000 (digital cable, first tier)
post #1101 of 15309 Old 08-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

also, I think there's ESPN and ESPN2 on something like 119 - a friend of mine with an LG-3410a can pick it up - but my signal is too weak.
post #1102 of 15309 Old 08-07-2004, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

HI All,
I moved from Denver Colorado to Mebane (the back of Mill Creek) about 3 weeks ago. Being the HDTV geek that I am, I've already mounted a 40 foot mast with two Radio Shack UHF only antennas (one pointed towards Greensboro, the other towards Raleigh) being combined into a Channel Master Spartan pre-amp. I'm getting.....

14, 16.1 WGPX-DT 60%
15 hops up to 20% not sure what station it is.
29, 45.1 WXLV 45 65%
31, 12.1, WXII-DT 90%
32, 26.2 UNC-HD 88%
33, 48.1 WUPN 48 85%
36 hops to 13% not sure what station it is
38, 40.1 WTNC 71%
42, 30.1 WRAY-DT 68%
43, 61.1 WLXI-DT 76%
49, 50.1 WRAZ HD 85%
51, 2.1 WFMYHD 92%
52, 11-1, WTVD1 90%
53, 5.1 WRAL DT 91%
55, 17.1 NBC17 90%
57, 22.1 WLFL HD 47%
59, 4.2 UNC-HD 92%

WGHP has come in sparsely a few times, but generally not watch able

So, do I need to point another Antennae North to get UPN and or WB in HD? What are the local plans for UPN and WB to do HD? WLFL is doing gray bars. WXII's upconvert to 5.1 sounds horrible (doesn't use center channel). So, I'm using 17.1 as my NBC station. Too bad because it looks like WXII isn't multi casting.
post #1103 of 15309 Old 08-07-2004, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

WLFL (WB) and WRDC (UPN) in Raleigh are Sinclair owned stations - don't expect HD from them if they can help it. Eventually,(say, 2 years from now) they will be forced to increase their power from their anemic 9.1 KW and you should at least be able to receive them. All HD transmitters in Raleigh are in the same general location (except for WUNC and the PAX affiliates), so you're doing good. WRAL is probably the nation's leader in HDTV - ALL local programming is done in HD - even the news. WRAZ is also owned by Capital Broadcasting - and they're just waiting on FOX Network to get on board

post #1104 of 15309 Old 08-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Theres a thread in the HDTV Programming forum about Sinclair pushing HD with their WB affiliates....will be interesting if that has any effect on us in the Triangle. Right now with those two networks not being available in HD here, I have a tendency to forget they exist since they are at complete opposite ends of my program guide.
post #1105 of 15309 Old 08-07-2004, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Scooper
All HD transmitters in Raleigh are in the same general location (except for WUNC and the PAX affiliates), so you're doing good.

What location is that? Thanks!

post #1106 of 15309 Old 08-07-2004, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Most of them (5, 11, 17, 22(DT), 28, and 50) are out east of Clayton along US70 and the Wake County line - Auburn. You can see them as you drive by on I40 also.

22 Analog is west of there, 4 is out in Chapel Hill, and 40 (38 DT) is between Chapel Hill and Fayetteville. 30 (42) is out in Wilson.

post #1107 of 15309 Old 08-08-2004, 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wjarrettc
What location is that? Thanks!

Best way to find station locations is here, at AntennaWeb.org. Enter your address and you can receive antenna info, compass direction for stations, and street level maps.

Jeff
post #1108 of 15309 Old 08-08-2004, 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by j2jones
Best way to find station locations is here, at AntennaWeb.org. Enter your address and you can receive antenna info, compass direction for stations, and street level maps.

Thanks. That is a great resource. It takes a lot of the guesswork out of whether or not we can get OTA signals with a small antenna or have to go with big aerial.

post #1109 of 15309 Old 08-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 495
I've had digital cable with TWC for several months and have experienced several problems. Note that I have the SA3850HD with IEEE 1394 output and I'm only refering to HD channels. I'd like to know if anyone else is having similar problems:

1) Video and audio drop-outs. I see this problem more on HBO and Showtime than INHD or HDNET. I've almost never been able to watch a movie on HBO all the way through without numerous drop-outs. Do others have similar problems with HBO?

2) I don't get any audio over the IEEE 1394 with Showtime. Anyone else with this box have the same problem?

Thanks,

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #1110 of 15309 Old 08-08-2004, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Why no Nascar 16x9 HD today?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List