Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 15345 Old 12-25-2002, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyone,
Is anyone out there haveing any problems with WTVD ABC 11-1. I have had constant reception drop-outs with chennel 11-1 for the past week.
Please confirm reception quiality channel 11-1. I do not have any problems with 5-1, 17-1 or 50-1. I have notice that 22-1 and 28-1 is off of the air since the ICE-Storm.

If no one has any problems then I need to service my connections at my grounding block and antanna.
Thanks for your help.

Bruce.in.Triangle NC
Firewire is alive and kicking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 15345 Old 12-26-2002, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For gillcup

I have seen the same problem you described on the WRAL-DT signal. Video briefly interrupted (goes to black) with the audio OK. This is a recent issue. Have not seen this in the past.

Using a Samsung T-150 STB in Greenville. Not a loss of signal from WRAL as this would also drop the audio (in my experience).

Suspect problem is in the network feed to the station or in WRAL's internal routing of the network's digital video signal.

Regards,

Gary

"Too soon old, too late smart."
post #93 of 15345 Old 12-26-2002, 09:39 PM

Ditto on the CBS picture interruptions....lots of them tonight on CSI (both shows) but news was OK and no problems during commercials.

Also, did WNCN NBC go off air or is my system acting up? Dead at 11:00pm 12/26 when I switched to get ready for Leno!

OOPS! Back at 11:39pm.

Tom
post #94 of 15345 Old 01-03-2003, 01:11 PM

Wow. This is a great thread for the Triangle. Just finished reading all posts for 2000 to now.

I tried using a Terk TV55 in my attic and got decent reception for WRAL and WRAZ, but the dropouts were too frequent and the other channels don't even come in strong enough to get a picture. In a rash decision, we ordered TWC to get locals in HD. Sure the locals are great, but the basic and standard channels STINK! So now I'm considering an OTA antenna again and switching back to DirecTV for the rest. Can someone recommend an antenna and more importantly someone to install it on my roof so I don't kill myself. Thanks.

Carmine
Cary, NC
post #95 of 15345 Old 01-03-2003, 05:39 PM

New to HDTV in the cary area,
Can someone post a definitive list of what's available ota.
I seem to get
5-1
11-1
17-1
50-1
Nothing else (no PBS)
on DirectTV i get the HDNET, HBOHD, SHOHD
post #96 of 15345 Old 01-05-2003, 12:26 PM

For the record, my video panel was causing problems with the signal from the Terk TV55. After going directly from the TV55 to the Hughes E86, I'm getting 100% HD signal on CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, and WB. PBS hits 100% but drops to 0 too frequently to watch.

Quick question... Shouldn't ABC's HD picture fill an entire wide screen even though they broadcast in 720p? I'm getting black bars on the sides. However, the bars are smaller than a 4:3 picture and my TV won't stretch the ABC HD picture. Also, the audio from Saturday's playoff games was out of sync with the picture. Did anyone else notice that? Are there email addresses for the Triangle's local networks for reporting HDTV problems?

Carmine
Cary, NC
Sony 50XBR800, Hughes E86, Terk TV55
post #97 of 15345 Old 01-06-2003, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

bump....I too would like to know any e-mail addresses for HDTV content in the area.

Any info on WB HD on TWC? Any guess as to whether ESPN HD will be carried by TWC? Anybody have a good contact at TWC to answer such questions, as TWC's website generally does not stay up with current info.

Last question....Is the ABC HD broadcast of the superbowl going to be 720p or 1080i? And is it a definite go?...all the newswire info is from many months ago...I'd like to know for certain before inviting everyone over and watching the SB in HD on 120" Front projection.
post #98 of 15345 Old 01-07-2003, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
As for reporting problems via email, I don't remember the addresses off the top of my head but if you go to the various station websites, there is usually contact info for the engineering dept. I have emailed the engineers at Fox 50 and NBC 17 in the past with good results. This works well for general problems and requests.

If there is a problem with a show you are watching being in SD or some other more immediate problem, the best thing to do is to call the station. After 5:00 PM, it is usually best to call the news line number most stations have in the phone book and ask to speak to someone in engineering.

Also, you should check out www.nchdtv.com and sub to the WRAL HD newsletter (you can do that from WRAL's web site)

I'm in Morrisville, off Davis Drive right next to RTP and I get the following channels with my Dish 6000 hooked up using diplexors and a POS old Terk TV 50 hanging on 2 nails hammered into the trusses in my attic.

WUNC PBS 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5 (nothing is on 4.2 right now)

WRAL CBS 5.1 and 5.2 (sometimes they will run additional subchannels during special events)

WTVD ABC 11.1, 11.2, 11.3 (can't see the radar on 11.3 with a 6000 but keep forgetting to call to complain about it)

WNCN NBC 17.1

WLFL WB 22.1

WPTF UPN 28.1

WRPX PAX 48.1

WRAZ Fox 50.1 and 50.2

All the stations except WUNC 4 are located on the three adjacent towers near Garner. WUNC is in Chatham county. You should check www.antennaweb.org to get the azimuth for the stations relative to your position. An Omnidirectional antenna or a rotator will probably be needed to pick up UNC for most in the triangle. WUNC is my worst channel and I usually only pull a signal in the 70's from them while I get 85-90 with most of the others.

I don't know if any of the stations are at true full power but 22 and 28 are definitely lower power than their FCC approval so they will come in sporadically for most in the area as well.

Yes, the Superbowl will be in HD. There is some info in the programming forum about it.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
post #99 of 15345 Old 01-08-2003, 06:28 PM

I haven't been able to received anything at 4-1 for WUNC's PBS channel. Have others gotten anything. Whenever I go to the channel I am always defaulted back to the analog channel. I have also tried 4-2, 4-3, 4-4 and 4-5 with nothing.

I am using an RCA DTC100 and don't have a problem with the other local HD stations. Any idea?
post #100 of 15345 Old 01-09-2003, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I live in North Raleigh and currently have Directv. Should I just move over to TWC for HDTV. I was looking at getting a Samsung 160 for $430 for OTA STB for Directv. What are the benefits of using Directv over TWC for HDTV?

Thanks
post #101 of 15345 Old 01-12-2003, 08:45 PM

Quick question... Shouldn't ABC's HD picture fill an entire wide screen even though they broadcast in 720p? I'm getting black bars on the sides. However, the bars are smaller than a 4:3 picture and my TV won't stretch the ABC HD picture. Also, the audio from Saturday's playoff games was out of sync with the picture. Did anyone else notice that? Are there email addresses for the Triangle's local networks for reporting HDTV problems?

Ah yes!!! Post 100 for the Triangle thread! It's great how much info we share on this forum. Anyhew, in response to the above...

the ABC picture's that you refer to are upconverted sd pics that have been "stretched" by WTVD. It's a subjective thing. There is no right or wrong way to provide an sd upconverted picture. Some folks like the stretched way, others do not. WRAL, WRAZ,WNCN,WLFL,WRDC simply upconvert sd content, ie no stretching. This is why you see larger side bars on other stations broadcasting upconverted sd content. all hd content, whether 720 or 1080i is 16x9....that's a part of the specifications. so you will not ever see hd with side bars (you might see up/down bars with oar movies). If you see the black bars on the side, you are not watching native hd content.

For WRAL, contact jgoodmon with any programming or hd concerns...and join the WRAL-DT update list for program guides and hd events to come...

The network breakup some of you mentioned before was indeed due to the change in the cbs hd transmission stream..our ird didn't like the changes!....it is now resolved!

on another note, I'd like to hear what you think about the Hurricanes' games in HD on WRAZ-DT. Don't forget we have another game coming up on the 20th on WRAZ-DT!

Good night and take care,
Jimmy
post #102 of 15345 Old 01-13-2003, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Hurrican's HD games on WRAZ-DT look fantastic. One thing I would like WRAZ to notice. The volume of the audio on 50.2(49.2)'s local feed is much lower their national passthrough and all other channels I get. It's like that on OTA reception and on TW cable channel 251.
post #103 of 15345 Old 01-16-2003, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I wrote Jim Goodmon at WRAL-DT if he had any idea if WRAL-DT will be equipped to pass the DD5.1 audio feed of the Grammy's and here's his reply.
Quote:

We are working on it as I write!
Jimmy

Goodie
post #104 of 15345 Old 01-16-2003, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have an e-mail contact for TWC in the area? I've e-mailed them three times in the past two weeks using their "Contact Us" link on their website about some HD issues. I always get the automated "we'll get back to you" message but nothing further. Maybe someone in the know, might be able to answer the questions, because TWC surely isn't:

1) ESPN HD - Will it be offered?

2) UPN HD, WB HD, PAX HD - Will they be offered and when?

3) General Quality issues, many of which have been discussed in this thread....Picture Dropout on NBC, Static on Fox, Crackling sound on PBS loop.
post #105 of 15345 Old 01-16-2003, 02:45 PM

The static on FOX was not a TWC issue. I receive FOX-HD OTA and had static during the Giants vs. 49ers playoff game. I reported it to WRAZ on 1/7 and got a response from Jimmy Gamble (jgamble@fox50.com) saying that they would look into it.
post #106 of 15345 Old 01-17-2003, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't expect any reply from TWC. I have done the same thing, twice. I am currently a sat sub spending about 100 a month plus I have DSL for 50 a month and I practically begged them to get me to convert both to them just by telling me what was available and if they had any idea if they would ever implement the Sci Atlanta 8000 SD PVR. Never heard a word other than the canned autoresponder.

Some things change, some things remain the same.

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
post #107 of 15345 Old 01-17-2003, 07:10 AM

I apologize. I should have said that "I receive FOX-DT" not "FOX-HD." Watching back-to-back NFL playoff games on Fox and CBS demonstrates just how much better 1080i is.
post #108 of 15345 Old 01-17-2003, 08:10 AM

Actually,
It is called FOX-DT but what you are seeing is upconverted SD content in an HD stream...my point is, don't bash the local broadcaster FOX-DT, for something they cannot control...if FOX network sent FOX-DT true HD content, they would most certainly be providing it!
Jimmy
post #109 of 15345 Old 01-17-2003, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, It's not WRAZ-DT's fault the NFC games look so bad compared to WRAL-DT's AFC coverage. It's Rupert Murdock and Fox National Network's doing.
post #110 of 15345 Old 01-18-2003, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Daryl L
Yep, It's not WRAZ-DT's fault the NFC games look so bad compared to WRAL-DT's AFC coverage. It's Rupert Murdock and Fox National Network's doing.

Right...Watch a Cane's game on WRAZ-DT and you'll see HD, not the 480p crap that FOX broadcasts to their stations.
post #111 of 15345 Old 01-20-2003, 08:48 AM

WRAL-DT will be broadcasting at 1/2 power throughout today in an effort to tweak a few things...

Don't miss the Canes in HD tonight in WRAZ-DT at 7:00pm.
Jimmy
post #112 of 15345 Old 01-20-2003, 10:05 AM

Fluctuating signal strength last night. I live in Apex and generally get 'normal to good' signal strength. However last night it was all over the map. I didn't do anything different, like moving the antenna. Any idea what the story is?

Another question from a noob: Do the triangle stations reduce their transmission power during the day? During daylight hours, I have real trouble getting a consistent signal. Then, when it gets dark, things improve to a good, acceptable level.

Finally, I gotta say: HDTV rocks on an 8' projected image. Not that this is news to anyone here.

David

If one, jump two. If two, jump three.
post #113 of 15345 Old 01-20-2003, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Joseki
Fluctuating signal strength last night. I live in Apex and generally get 'normal to good' signal strength. However last night it was all over the map. I didn't do anything different, like moving the antenna. Any idea what the story is?

Another question from a noob: Do the triangle stations reduce their transmission power during the day? During daylight hours, I have real trouble getting a consistent signal. Then, when it gets dark, things improve to a good, acceptable level.

Finally, I gotta say: HDTV rocks on an 8' projected image. Not that this is news to anyone here.

David

David,

I have also noticed that HDTV reception is better at night. When I have good reception, my signal strength is steady in the "Good" range. But, when I have poor reception, the signal strength fluctuates every few seconds from the usual level down to "Poor" then back up. I was beginning to wonder if it was interference from something in my house (cordless phone, hair dryer, heater?), but perhaps it is not.

I'm planning to switch from an antenna in my attic to a roof-top antenna to try to get a steady signal. If I could just get my installer to return my calls...

Joel
post #114 of 15345 Old 01-20-2003, 12:32 PM

WAF absolutely prevents an outdoor antenna! I have th RS double bowtie in my HT room right now. Certainly this is subobtimal but it gets the job done. I'll try to relocate it to the attic this weekend after I 'prove' that doing so will not endanger the upcoming religious experience (Superbowl in HD).

David

If one, jump two. If two, jump three.
post #115 of 15345 Old 01-20-2003, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Tell Wife you have a $3000 TV that needs the OUTSIDE antenna to work properly.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #116 of 15345 Old 01-20-2003, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All,
Every since the ICE storm back in early Dec, I have had problems with getting ABC WTVD digital. All the others digital stations WRAL, NBC(17-1), UPN, Wb, and Fox 50 are still at 100%

Has anyone else experience any problems with ABC.

I wonder if the ICE storm did something to my antenna. But if it did, then I think all of my digital stations would be affected.

Thanks for your help!

Bruce.in.Triangle NC
Firewire is alive and kicking!
post #117 of 15345 Old 01-21-2003, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't noticed any difference with my attic antenna. Pretty sure During NYPD Blue last Tuesday, I had a 90 signal on my 6000 just like always.

post #118 of 15345 Old 01-25-2003, 02:22 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know if WTVD will be broadcasting the superbowl in 5.1 on the HD broadcast. I saw that ABC will be and was wondering if TVD was going to be passing it to us.

Thanks,
George
post #119 of 15345 Old 01-25-2003, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure they will.
post #120 of 15345 Old 01-25-2003, 05:41 PM

Thanks to the local Triangle posters...as a result of finding this thread...I am now a Cary HD user!

I'm a very happy DISH user and was going to wait until DISH started offering more HD programming, but after discovering this thread I went out today and purchased a Zenith HDV420 tuner. I hooked it up an old ant. I have in the attic...and in less then an hour, I now have access to local HD programming. :-)

Thanks!!! :-))

David
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception