Raleigh, NC - HDTV - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 15335 Old 08-14-2004, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mark--
Thanks for the reply. For some reason i have aspect ratio but not output format on the options under the more settings....maybe I have an outdated software/firmware/hardware?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 15335 Old 08-14-2004, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[quote]Originally posted by WildBill
[b]Hey, anyone else using a QAM receiver lose the WRAL channels tonight? I am of course watching the olympics on NBC but all the WRAL sub-channes are gone. I have re-scanned and zip.

Hmm. Just the opposite of what's happening here in Cary for me. We lost the NBC17 digital channels sometime in the last few days. The channel scan picks up 111, but all the subchannels show up as "no signal". Just in time of the Olympics. Lovely.

I also lost the sound to PBS-HD in the last few days. Maybe I got nailed by the recent software upgrade at TWC. But WRAL is fine.

Looks like its rabbit ears for me..

Drew
post #1173 of 15335 Old 08-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:

Originally posted by felke001
Mark--
Thanks for the reply. For some reason i have aspect ratio but not output format on the options under the more settings....maybe I have an outdated software/firmware/hardware?

Did you scroll down after pressing "more settings"? You need to push the down arrow to see all the options. There are a bunch of options, not just the few that initially show up.

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #1174 of 15335 Old 08-14-2004, 03:48 PM

Yes, I scrolled down until I was back where I started, but no output format...strange.

Everything looks fine outputing at 1080i, just wanting to experiment.
post #1175 of 15335 Old 08-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Hmm - no WRAL via QAM for me, either.
post #1176 of 15335 Old 08-14-2004, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

I lost the PBS HD sound as well. It is not acting just like the TNT-HD feed where the audio is from the adjacent channel.

DREW...
You said you lost nbc but still have cbs. However do you have a QAM receiver that is NOT supplied via TWC? If so what is it? Internal to the TV or an LG unit or what?
THANKS
post #1177 of 15335 Old 08-14-2004, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

I have a Zenith C32V37 with a QAM tuner internal to the unit. I think that Zeniths are made by LG..
I never knew that the TNT audio was on another channel. Rather than boxing like all the other channels, non-HD content on TNT seems to be squished.

Also, I just dropped "standard" cable (which we signed up for during basketball season and kept neglecting to drop). The PBS problem appeared before they installed the filter to block standard cable, but I didn't notice the NBC problem until after that.

I wouldn't really mind loosing the HD PBS, but, darn it, PBS is the best thing about Digital TV for us. And switching back and forth to get different channels over broadcast (PBS-HD, NBC) and cable (PBS-ED, PBS, PBS-NC, CBS) is a royal PITA with my Zenith.

Drew
post #1178 of 15335 Old 08-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Will NBC17 show any Olympic events in HD, or will it just continue to loop the opening ceremonies repeatedly?

Thanks,

Drew
post #1179 of 15335 Old 08-15-2004, 09:02 AM

Hi Drew. I noticed that myself last night. I couldn't believe it when I saw that. NBC17 is the worst and most unreliable of the HD channels that I've watched.

Bob D
post #1180 of 15335 Old 08-15-2004, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Events are posted at www.nbcolympics.com
The 8 hours of new coverage appears to start at 4:00 AM, and repeats a totoal of 3 times to fill the day: at Noon and 8:00 PM.
post #1181 of 15335 Old 08-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by NBC17ENG
Events are posted at www.nbcolympics.com
The 8 hours of new coverage appears to start at 4:00 AM, and repeats a totoal of 3 times to fill the day: at Noon and 8:00 PM.

Ah, I see. And I also found that the HD coverage of events is delayed by at least 24 hours. See http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,64552,00.html. I wonder if they are sending physical media by FedEX or something.

If they are unwilling or unable to show HD events in a timely fashion it seems like a better use of bandwidth might be to split into the 4 subchannels and show live coverage of all the events, rather than just cherry picking the most marketable and showing them repeatedly, and 24 hours late. Eg, what CBS did for the NCAA basketball tournament.

I really miss the CBC coverage I used to get when I lived in Buffalo, NY in the 80s and early 90s. They made an effort to show things as they happened, and really put the American coverage to shame. They showed more of each event because the broadcast all day, and on multiple channels. So you got to see what really happened, and not just the highlights an American network decided to show you.

Sigh.

Drew
post #1182 of 15335 Old 08-15-2004, 10:23 AM

The Olympics is just another typical NBC HD failure to provide HD just like its failure to show the US open golf tournament in HD. I was really looking forward to having the Olympics in HD and thought I was going to have it with the pre-Olympic advertising. NBC channel 6 is also one of the worst looking NTSC channels on TWC.

Fortunately CBS has the PGA golf tournament this weekend and I have something to watch in HD.

Bob D
post #1183 of 15335 Old 08-15-2004, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

In the main HDTV forum, I believe they've said that NBC is "purposely" delaying the HD feed because they don't want to detract ratings from the "normal" feed, where advertisers were promised x numbers of viewers.

Supposedly, this was requested by the local markets.

IMO, it just makes for a poor impression of NBC. In fact, I'm watching PGA on CBS and baseball on ESPN-Hd tonight.

PS - on a side note, I noticed that on the SD feed, NBC consistently kept putting in too many commercials during breaks of the basketball game, resulting in missed action. That's just RIDICULOUS!!!

Screw NBC. Thank God for Tivo.
post #1184 of 15335 Old 08-15-2004, 04:09 PM

Quick question. I know that TWC has already screwed up our Dolby Digital 5.1 audio feed of the Olympics. Are they also responsible for the low quality of the images (compression?).

I had several folks over today and they were commenting on on how poor the picture looked when the gymnasts were in motion. I've found the picture to be "fuzzy", especially in the presence of high motion (good thing there's not too much motion involved in the Olympics )

So I'm curious if this is an NBC problem or a TWC problem. I'm waiting on a Dish 811 to come in the mail so I can compare the two feeds, but for the time, what do folks here that are watching Dish, OTA, and TWC think of the picture quality (regardless of what you think of the content and timing of the feed).

Jarrett

Years have gone by and I've finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar of good football. I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: A pretty move, for the love of God. And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don't give a damn...
post #1185 of 15335 Old 08-16-2004, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Originally posted by wjarrettc
Quick question. I know that TWC has already screwed up our Dolby Digital 5.1 audio feed of the Olympics. Are they also responsible for the low quality of the images (compression?).

I don't know, but I agree the picture is pixelated during movement. I sure hope this isn't typical of HD in the future. I see it more and more. I also actually prefer to watch the analog NBC station (06) instead of the digital SD station.

Is there a diagnostic mode on the SA3250HD box to display the bits/second of the HD stream (so as to know how much a channel is compressed)?

Sooke

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #1186 of 15335 Old 08-16-2004, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Originally posted by deArgila
In the main HDTV forum, I believe they've said that NBC is "purposely" delaying the HD feed because they don't want to detract ratings from the "normal" feed, where advertisers were promised x numbers of viewers.

I've read this too. But then... why even bother with the expense of producing an HD broadcast if you don't want anyone to watch it?

Sooke

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #1187 of 15335 Old 08-16-2004, 07:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by sooke
I've read this too. But then... why even bother with the expense of producing an HD broadcast if you don't want anyone to watch it?

Question for NBC17ENG: where is the appropriate place to lodge complaints about this? I'm in the same boat: I was eagerly awaiting HD competitions on Saturday, only to keep finding the opening ceremonies. 24 hours late means I'm not watching any HD coverage. Who do we lodge complaints with? Our local station? A national NBC e-mail address? I checked nbcolympics.com and did not see a contact listed anywhere.

-- Greg

post #1188 of 15335 Old 08-16-2004, 09:03 AM

Even the delayed HD coverage is pitiful. I've seen the same scenery of the greek country side and ocean damn near every time I flip over to see if they are actually showing some Olympics.

I noticed the same thing about the NBC Olympic site--no contact to complain to.

On the the bright side, the CBS PGA golf coverage in HD was trouble free.

Bob D
post #1189 of 15335 Old 08-16-2004, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE ON QAM Reception issues

A known and trusted resource at WRAL sent an email and said he would look into the issue with TWC's messed up QAM broadcast received via means OTHER than their boxes. (TV's with built in QAM decoders and the LG STB units)

Nothing promised but a 'try'. Which is good enough with me.

If anyone else has QAM reception issues then please speak up. I told the WRAL guy to look in the AVSForum for details.

As of this writing I still don't have access to the WRAL digital channels. ANY OF THEM.

If something DOES come of this, which I hope, perhaps the LG units will be deemed out of spec or if TWC has some kind of signal modulation scheme they can apply then this 'might' fix the WRAL and TNT-HD sound issues but that's all hopeful wishing and NOT fact.
post #1190 of 15335 Old 08-16-2004, 11:27 AM

Has anyone out there tried to view TWC channels with the QAM capable (sort of) Fusion III card? From what I've been reading about the Fusion III it is a little flaky on picking up QAM channels (for some folks it works great for others next to nothing) so I was curious if anyone has tried it out with our local TWC.
post #1191 of 15335 Old 08-16-2004, 12:14 PM

Email address to lodge complaints (from nbc.com, contact info):

nbcolympicsfeedback@nbcuni.com

Quote:

Originally posted by bobjdan
Even the delayed HD coverage is pitiful. I've seen the same scenery of the greek country side and ocean damn near every time I flip over to see if they are actually showing some Olympics.

I noticed the same thing about the NBC Olympic site--no contact to complain to.

On the the bright side, the CBS PGA golf coverage in HD was trouble free.

Thanks.
Mark

Chapel Hill, NC
post #1192 of 15335 Old 08-16-2004, 03:20 PM

re: trouble tuning in QAM channels on TWC.

I have been able to tune them using the off-air IDs instead of the QAM channel. Meaning 5.1 for WRALHD, 5.2 for The News Channel. 11.1 for WTVD. 17.1 for WNCN and so on.
post #1193 of 15335 Old 08-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by gwall
re: trouble tuning in QAM channels on TWC.

I have been able to tune them using the off-air IDs instead of the QAM channel. Meaning 5.1 for WRALHD, 5.2 for The News Channel. 11.1 for WTVD. 17.1 for WNCN and so on.

Do you have an antenna set up? What box are you using for QAM?

I just tried this with my LG LST-3510A (the one with the DVD combo) - and no luck.
post #1194 of 15335 Old 08-16-2004, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mhs1970
Email address to lodge complaints (from nbc.com, contact info):

nbcolympicsfeedback@nbcuni.com

I sent an email to that id and got back

To: Feedback
Subject: Olympic HD Coverage
Sent: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:56:55 -0400

did not reach the following recipient(s):

Feedback on Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:57:44 -0400
The message could not be delivered because you do not have create
permissions on this folder or it is only available to folder owners at this
time

I guess they don't really want to hear any complaints.

Bob D
post #1195 of 15335 Old 08-16-2004, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bobjdan
I sent an email to that id and got back

To: Feedback
Subject: Olympic HD Coverage
Sent: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:56:55 -0400

did not reach the following recipient(s):

Feedback on Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:57:44 -0400
The message could not be delivered because you do not have create
permissions on this folder or it is only available to folder owners at this
time

I guess they don't really want to hear any complaints.

More than likely they had to shut down the mailbox because they were running out of disk space from the volume of complaints.

Years have gone by and I've finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar of good football. I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: A pretty move, for the love of God. And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don't give a damn...
post #1196 of 15335 Old 08-16-2004, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gstelmack
Question for NBC17ENG: where is the appropriate place to lodge complaints about this? I'm in the same boat: I was eagerly awaiting HD competitions on Saturday, only to keep finding the opening ceremonies. 24 hours late means I'm not watching any HD coverage. Who do we lodge complaints with? Our local station? A national NBC e-mail address? I checked nbcolympics.com and did not see a contact listed anywhere.

www.nbc.com has a fedback button buried at the bottom of the page.
post #1197 of 15335 Old 08-16-2004, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

gwall,
Thanks but I put my current house up for sale a month ago or so and because I had such 'great' HDTV offerings via cable I took my roof mounted antenna down. I will wait upon a fix or find one.

I just wonder if anyone using any OTHER type of QAM receiver (other than LG brand) gets perfect reception on all channels?
post #1198 of 15335 Old 08-16-2004, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sooke
I don't know, but I agree the picture is pixelated during movement. I sure hope this isn't typical of HD in the future. I see it more and more. I also actually prefer to watch the analog NBC station (06) instead of the digital SD station.

Is there a diagnostic mode on the SA3250HD box to display the bits/second of the HD stream (so as to know how much a channel is compressed)?

Sooke

The HD is running at 15 Mbs and the SD is running at 3.5 Mbs. The rest of the 19.4 Mbs is taken by metadata and audio.
post #1199 of 15335 Old 08-17-2004, 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by WildBill
gwall,
I just wonder if anyone using any OTHER type of QAM receiver (other than LG brand) gets perfect reception on all channels?

I am new to the HDTV world. I have recently ordered a Sony CRT HDTV (KD-34XS955) that has internal receivers (QAM and 8-VSB). It should be delivered in the next couple of days.

I am keenly interested in finding out if I'll have to use an antenna (indoor is my hope -- 20.5 miles from digital tower) and/or if I'll be able to use the QAM tuner with TWC. I'm on sub-standard cable (ie. basic) but I'm hoping that the unscrambled digital signals will be available via the QAM tuner as well.

G.
post #1200 of 15335 Old 08-17-2004, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The silliest thing about the delay is that they want it both ways. On one hand they say there is no one watching HD so why should we go to the trouble of producing stuff in HD, then for the Olympics, they have to delay it so the "massive" amount of HD viewers won't skew the ratings?

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page