Raleigh, NC - HDTV - Page 491 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14701 of 15335 Old 03-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Look on the bright side. Lehigh versus Duke was on free broadcast TV (WRAL), so everybody in the Triangle, rich or poor, could share the joy of seeing Duke lose. It doesn't get much better than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14702 of 15335 Old 03-17-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

I have Directv, so I see all the games too. It just seems wrong that the local CBS isn't carrying the home teams, and not everyone can view it since not everyone has a dish or cable. I guess some can watch on their small screened phone from the internet, but to me that is not much fun. Bright side is like you say HDme, they are on some channel out there, like prior years ago when CBS would shift back and forth.

Yep. I know it would suck if I was OTA only... I think yesterday only the Florida St and the Duke games were on WRAL. so even the UNC game wasn't OTA locally.

In a perfect world all of these games would be OTA... but that would have taken a joint-effort with a bunch of networks... like CBS + ABC + NBC + FOX, and I don't think they could ever manage a collaboration like that.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #14703 of 15335 Old 03-17-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

look on the bright side. Lehigh versus duke was on free broadcast tv (wral), so everybody in the triangle, rich or poor, could share the joy of seeing duke lose. It doesn't get much better than that.

:d
post #14704 of 15335 Old 03-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Yep. I know it would suck if I was OTA only... I think yesterday only the Florida St and the Duke games were on WRAL. so even the UNC game wasn't OTA locally.

In a perfect world all of these games would be OTA... but that would have taken a joint-effort with a bunch of networks... like CBS + ABC + NBC + FOX, and I don't think they could ever manage a collaboration like that.

No, it would have just taken WRAL showing 4 SD streams like they did a few years ago. A few years ago, they also had TWC allocate a few "extra" HD channels, so that if you had cable, you still got to see all the games in HD.

I'll bet that the problem is the deal that the NCAA, and/or CBS signed with all those cable channels to show 75% of the games eliminated CBS affiliates options to show all of them.

Drew
post #14705 of 15335 Old 03-18-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwho View Post

No, it would have just taken WRAL showing 4 SD streams like they did a few years ago. A few years ago, they also had TWC allocate a few "extra" HD channels, so that if you had cable, you still got to see all the games in HD.

I'll bet that the problem is the deal that the NCAA, and/or CBS signed with all those cable channels to show 75% of the games eliminated CBS affiliates options to show all of them.

You must not have read the discussion on this above... The new deal with Turner is exactly why these games aren't on OTA.

Having extra feeds only on Time Warner (like in the past) was no better than having the games on the Turner networks since those Turner networks are usually in the basic cable packages... and people like me on Satellite like Dish or DirecTV didn't get those extra feeds from WRAL in HD.

Those SD feeds that WRAL did for a few years were OK... but they were kind of crappy crammed in there SD... plus as noted, none of the CBS old feeds like that were discrete feeds. They would all whip around to closer games... so often you had 4 feeds with 3 of them showing the same game!

The new setup gives us discrete channel feeds so you can change around.

When all the games were on CBS only, via OTA, there was no incentive to show discrete feeds because CBS had the whole audience... that's what the new contract with Turner does, because it forces the games to be spread around to the networks.

That's why I said the only way to do it OTA would be multi-network. IF CBS had the monopoly again, there would be no reason for them to have multi-feeds... but if ABC or NBC or FOX were in on the deal (like Turner is now) then you can believe those other networks would want discrete feeds too.

post #14706 of 15335 Old 03-19-2012, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

You must not have read the discussion on this above... The new deal with Turner is exactly why these games aren't on OTA.

I did, I was trying to bring the point up, but I did so awkwardly.

Quote:

Having extra feeds only on Time Warner (like in the past) was no better than having the games on the Turner networks since those Turner networks are usually in the basic cable packages... and people like me on Satellite like Dish or DirecTV didn't get those extra feeds from WRAL in HD.

Those SD feeds that WRAL did for a few years were OK... but they were kind of crappy crammed in there SD... plus as noted, none of the CBS old feeds like that were discrete feeds. They would all whip around to closer games... so often you had 4 feeds with 3 of them showing the same game!

The new setup gives us discrete channel feeds so you can change around.

Unless you're OTA only, in which case you're now doubly screwed -- you get to see only one out of 4 games, and there are not even any "look ins" to the others.

Your main complaint about the way WRAL did things was that the feeds were not discreet. I do not remember that being a huge issue, but maybe the games I watched were close, or such massive blow-outs that I would have switched away myself.

Drew
post #14707 of 15335 Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah but it only costs 4 bucks to stream all the games on a PC or phone/tablet. Or it gives you an excuse to go drink some beer at your local sports bar
post #14708 of 15335 Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwho View Post

Your main complaint about the way WRAL did things was that the feeds were not discreet. I do not remember that being a huge issue, but maybe the games I watched were close, or such massive blow-outs that I would have switched away myself.

Really there were multiple complaints:

1. The feeds were not discrete, so when a game was close the other feeds would switch to that one. If a game was a blowout, the feed would switch to another closer game too.

2. Cramming the channels into one OTA channel meant only 1 HD feed at poor quality, and 3 VERY poor SD channels.

3. HD feeds were provided to Time Warner but not to satellite customers.

The ideal scenario for OTA customers would be if multiple OTA networks had bid on the package... then we could have multiple OTA networks sharing the feeds like CBS and Turner are doing now.

I can only assume the other OTA networks didn't try to bid on such a deal, though... or perhaps CBS locked them out of the negotiations.

I would be annoyed as an OTA customer, except that traditionally before digital OTA we never had the possibility of more than 1 game at a time anyway.

A lot of people forget too... many many years ago ESPN used to carry games in the early rounds... so the only way you could watch those games was on cable or satellite.

So... there was only a very small window recently of being able to watch those poor quality SD feeds via OTA.

post #14709 of 15335 Old 03-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have not checked to see how WRAL is handling its subchannels during the tournament, but I have watched the HD broadcasts on 5.1, and they have looked good. During the regular season, I noticed that sometimes WRAL or WNCN would broadcast a primary game on the main channel (5.1 or 17.1) and then at the same time put a secondary game (usually from a different conference) in standard definition on a subchannel (5.2 or 17.2). The standard definition broadcasts did not seem to harm the quality of the HD broadcast on the main channel. WTVD breaks its channel into two HD subchannels (11.1 and 11.2) and one SD subchannel (11.3), and both of the HD channels look fine to me, so bandwidth may not be much of a problem.

I don't know how broadcasters set advertising rates for the subchannels. They may have to be careful not to cannibalize the audience for the main channel.
post #14710 of 15335 Old 03-20-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

4. All regular broadcasting during the games was prempted
post #14711 of 15335 Old 03-20-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

4. All regular broadcasting during the games was prempted

CBS programming during the NCAA tournament is not preempted. The tournament is CBS programming so your not missing anything. CBS programming is preempted during the ACC Tournament because WRAL and others chose to carry Raycom's coverage of the tournament instead of regular CBS programming.

8640HDC DVR - ODN 7.
post #14712 of 15335 Old 03-21-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I was hoping someone would tell me that.

Darn I just heard they are not bring back Terra Nova.
post #14713 of 15335 Old 04-11-2012, 02:28 PM

Liked: 12
Thinking about going the cablecard route for my HTPC. The combo rates for digital cable plus broadband is only $24 more a month than my basic internet charge. I've had little to no issues with my OTA setup but I'm oh so tempted to give it a shot!
post #14714 of 15335 Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 PM

Liked: 13
I'd love to hear any local cablecard experiences too. I was thinking the same thing. I pay $29.99 a month for internet now, paired with my OTA Windows Media Center. In November my internet deal ends, and I'm heavily leaning towards cable too then. I even called TWC to price things out, and most of the cost would come from boxes and DVRs, which I've already got covered without their rented gear. My argument that cable is too expensive isn't very strong if I can get it for less than a dollar a day on the same deal you just described.

I was surprised to find that the bill for the $79.99 cable and internet, plus a DVR and two secondary boxes would come to $135 a month. A $2 cable card looks more reasonable each month with gear I've got, and a HDHR prime.
post #14715 of 15335 Old 04-13-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dah12 View Post

I'd love to hear any local cablecard experiences too. I was thinking the same thing. I pay $29.99 a month for internet now, paired with my OTA Windows Media Center. In November my internet deal ends, and I'm heavily leaning towards cable too then. I even called TWC to price things out, and most of the cost would come from boxes and DVRs, which I've already got covered without their rented gear. My argument that cable is too expensive isn't very strong if I can get it for less than a dollar a day on the same deal you just described.

I was surprised to find that the bill for the $79.99 cable and internet, plus a DVR and two secondary boxes would come to $135 a month. A $2 cable card looks more reasonable each month with gear I've got, and a HDHR prime.

My TWC Carolina's (Apex) has been very good. Its not perfect.. but its very good. Beats the heck out of their POC DVR.
post #14716 of 15335 Old 04-13-2012, 08:55 AM

My cablecard (TWC - Raleigh) and tuning adapter for SDV have been quite reliable after initial setup. My HTPC with a Ceton tuner however has not been completely reliable with "no tuner" errors every 5-6 days requiring a reboot to continue. I have just updated the Ceton firmware and have set up a Windows scheduled task to reboot every morning at 6 AM so hopefully that will resolve the problems.

I have Linksys media extenders in both the bedroom and dinette areas and while their interface is a bit clumsy they do the job.

nMEDIAPC HTPC-2000B ATX Media Center HTPC Case (not recommended)
Antec NEO ECO 400C P/S
Intel BOXDH67BLB3 LGA1155 MicroATX Motherboard, Intel H67 Chipset
Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.10GHz Dual-Core Processor, Retail cooler
Crucial 2 x 2GB SDRAM
Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe tuner
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
Sony BR-5100S 2X BD-ROM 8X DVD-ROM 24X CD-ROM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
post #14717 of 15335 Old 04-14-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Whoo hoo !
I replaced the preamp I had an AP4800 UHF only with a AP2870 (inputs for both UHF and VHF) - now WTVD is as good as the UHF channels.

In case you're wondering - I have separate UHF and VHF antennas - a VHF CM Crossfire for VHF, and a CM4221 4 bay for UHF.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #14718 of 15335 Old 04-14-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent scooper. I like to see people have good results when they work on their antennas. I worked on mine today too. Cleaned the balun ends and tightened the feed lines on my Winegard UHF 8bay. They were loose, and refitted the screen I added on for VHF reception because I have a few channels on that band, and kept getting drops when the wind blew, and now I have increased signal and no drops no matter how strong the wind blew today, and with the antenna in the wrong direction. Hurricane Irene apparently caused my antenna to get fouled up, and I just hung it back up without really checking it out. I also added a new pre-amp a few weeks ago, and hooked up an additional TV. So I have 5 devices running off my antenna with no problem.
post #14719 of 15335 Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello there,

I was wondering if someone could tell me whether all of the local broadcast channels on TWC in Raleigh/Durham are still clear QAM. I am considering using a couple of lifetime TivoHDs with cablecards and TWC's broadcast cable package as I have had an inconsistent experience with OTA in my location. I have no interest in repeating my Tuning Adapter experience, but cablecard+clear QAM seem pretty reliable from what I have read.

Thanks,
Ted
post #14720 of 15335 Old 04-29-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have Roadrunner Internet only (not subscribing to Lifeline, basic, digital or any TV) and I can get all the Raleigh digital stations EXCEPT WTVD (channel 11 / ABC) as clear QAM. Now since I can get most everything (except PBS) OTA and I subscribe to Dish - I don't usually bother with the clear QAM. I would imagine that if you are subscribing to ANY cable - you should be able to get all the digital channels from our local broadcast stations.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #14721 of 15335 Old 04-30-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

I was wondering if someone could tell me whether all of the local broadcast channels on TWC in Raleigh/Durham are still clear QAM.

Judging by a channel scan, you get everything except the HD Univision feed. So, mostly all.

ETA: Actually, they picked that up too recently. So, yes, everything. (I've got digital cable, but this is on a TV that's just connected to the wall outlet.)
post #14722 of 15335 Old 05-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

Hello there,

I was wondering if someone could tell me whether all of the local broadcast channels on TWC in Raleigh/Durham are still clear QAM. I am considering using a couple of lifetime TivoHDs with cablecards and TWC's broadcast cable package as I have had an inconsistent experience with OTA in my location. I have no interest in repeating my Tuning Adapter experience, but cablecard+clear QAM seem pretty reliable from what I have read.

Thanks,
Ted

I don't think you can get cablecards unless you get a digital package? At least it used to be that way.
post #14723 of 15335 Old 05-05-2012, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post

I don't think you can get cablecards unless you get a digital package? At least it used to be that way.

Hmmm... Thanks. I'll find out and post the answer here.
post #14724 of 15335 Old 05-15-2012, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Is anyone else experiencing difficulties with receiving WRAL/WRAZ? Their signals seem very hard to tune to recently. I know I am a little far out, but I have never had trouble tuning to either channel in the past. It should be noted that 4, 11, 17, 22, and 40 are still coming in perfectly and 28 is a little fluttery but watchable, like usual. Last night, WRAL came in for a few minutes during the news but 99% of the time it's "Searching for signal." This has been happening for almost 2 weeks now and is annoying. A friend in Carrboro is experiencing the same issues, although the signal is slightly better.
post #14725 of 15335 Old 05-15-2012, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yesterday I was having issues with WRAL. I too am far out but I have a clean shot straight to Garner and usually get Raleigh with better quality than my locals.
post #14726 of 15335 Old 05-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Same here; I don't have the entire slate of Triad locals and those I do get are not perfect but the Garner stations are usually a lock, even WVTD. I just got home to find no WRAL and a very fluttery WRAZ but crystal clear other Garner stations. I wonder if it's because they're on adjacent RF channels and they interfere with each other?
post #14727 of 15335 Old 05-15-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Did the antenna possibly move? Did it possibly get water in the connections? Rain recentlh?
post #14728 of 15335 Old 05-15-2012, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'd bet on water in a connector outside. Otherwise squirrels chewing wires, etc. Look at it as three bands of frequencies to be concerned with:
WTVD is high VHF on channel 11
WNCN is low UHF on channel 17

WLFL is mid UHF on channel 28
WRDC is mid UHF on channel 27

WRAL is high UHF on channel 48
WRAZ is high UHF on channel 50

Tree leaves, atmospheric conditions, or any number of things can roll off the sensitivity on the higher frequencies. Normally, Pine trees are tuned perfectly to attenuate channel 17, so I know about natural obstacles.

The frequency response of the antenna system may have changed, either by rust, water in a connector, or a splitter going bad. A quick look at your signal meter on your set will tell you how the system is performing for the three main channel areas.

A chain saw can fix those pesky trees unless they are in the neighbor's yard. In that case, move the antenna. And don't forget wet leaves or pine straw on the roof in the valleys can affect an attic antenna.
post #14729 of 15335 Old 05-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

I fiddled with it some after I posted earlier. Tightened everything, re-aimed it, re-did the AM21, and it's not much better. It has rained recently, yes, but the other Raleigh channels are fine, like I said earlier. I am watching the WRAL news right now, but it's dropping out a lot. WRAZ is better, though. A few weeks ago, I lost WLFL for almost a week for no reason. It was gone one day and several days later, it was back and has been fine. WLFL is always the "go-to" Garner channel as it, WGPX, WCWG, WUVC, and WUNC are the channels that I can with an indoor antenna without much effort.
post #14730 of 15335 Old 05-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

To NBC17ENG: WFMY is fine, too, which is ch 51. Although WGSR (RF47) is alot worse than it usually is. WLXI is RF 43 and actually it's been BETTER than it usually is recently, maybe when I aimed it earlier, I aimed it a little too much toward the Greensboro towers. I'll fiddle more later. But you'll be happy as I am watching the NBC17 news now!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page