Forum Jump: 

post #15241 of 15335 Old 01-09-2014, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidiot1985 View Post

Has anyone successfully rescanned for channels on their TV and successfully found WRAL 5 and WRAZ 50 at their new locations?

Neither channel is coming in for me anymore. I've done a rescan 5 times on both of my flatscreens and nothing for 5-1 or 50-1. Anyone else having this issue? I called TWC and the earliest they can come out is Monday morning, which sucks that I may have to watch the NFL playoffs this weekend in SD. Ugh..I hope it gets fixed before then, I guess I'll just keep doing rescans and hope for the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15242 of 15335 Old 01-09-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efranklin002 View Post

Neither channel is coming in for me anymore. I've done a rescan 5 times on both of my flatscreens and nothing for 5-1 or 50-1. Anyone else having this issue? I called TWC and the earliest they can come out is Monday morning, which sucks that I may have to watch the NFL playoffs this weekend in SD. Ugh..I hope it gets fixed before then, I guess I'll just keep doing rescans and hope for the best.

Yes, did re-scan last evening. Both 5-1 and 50-1 are there and in HD.
post #15243 of 15335 Old 01-09-2014, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Could you go with an indoor antenna just for the weekend to get OTA 5-1 and 50-1 HD just until Monday? That would at least get you good picture for the NFL playoffs.
post #15244 of 15335 Old 01-09-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post

Could you go with an indoor antenna just for the weekend to get OTA 5-1 and 50-1 HD just until Monday? That would at least get you good picture for the NFL playoffs.

I'll probably give it a shot, although I've tried using an antenna before and the reception is usually hit or miss.
post #15245 of 15335 Old 01-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

I wouldn't mind a small DTA if Time Warner Cable actually offered some affordable packages.
By "affordable", I mean the regular price, not promotional discounts.

I don't understand why TWC is more expensive here than in some other markets.
When the  basic analog cable package reached $75 (and digital cable $90), that's when I decided to downgrade my service and look into OTA.

I get lite internet, and two hi def terminals (guide data and a few extra channels), plus two DTA's with HDMI cable TV for like $91 total here. I am thinking of getting their free DVR offer. The only channel I am missing that I'd like is IFC.

But is that one of the deals where you have to commit to a one or two year contract, and after that the prices for each service go up a lot? And if you break up a bundle (after the promotional period ends) and decide to go with a different provider for one of the services, doesn't the charge for the other services go up even more because you've broken up the bundle?

post #15246 of 15335 Old 01-09-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

I have an outside antenna for local/regional channels and as a back up plan for this very reason. And the Charlotte stations are airing several playoff specials for the Panthers game, which the local GSP/AVL stations here in SC are not. So more coverage, better options. Plus strong signals from 2 FOX, CBS, and NBC stations.
post #15247 of 15335 Old 01-10-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

But is that one of the deals where you have to commit to a one or two year contract, and after that the prices for each service go up a lot? And if you break up a bundle (after the promotional period ends) and decide to go with a different provider for one of the services, doesn't the charge for the other services go up even more because you've broken up the bundle?

No commitment, but if I did break it up, the cost would go way up. Directv makes you commit to the two year deal.
post #15248 of 15335 Old 01-10-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

I'll probably give it a shot, although I've tried using an antenna before and the reception is usually hit or miss.

buy some RG-6 coax and a barrel connector from home depot, and stick the antenna outside temporarily to watch your game. Inside the house, all kinds of things block the TV station signal, and Durham is a good distance from the towers.
post #15249 of 15335 Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Probably because many of the cheap indoor antennas are poorly designed. Possibly consider a Terk HDTVa from HHG. Or a Clearstream 2 or Clearstream 4 from Best Buy or Walmart. Those are better antennas that should provide better results. And possibly a cheap RCA inline amp from Walmart may help. And some folks have good results with the Mohu Leaf Ultimate from Walmart. But, it is not really the best antenna out there, but you could always give it a try. Call Mohu over there in Raleigh and see if they think it will work in Durham.
post #15250 of 15335 Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Probably because many of the cheap indoor antennas are poorly designed. Possibly consider a Terk HDTVa from HHG. Or a Clearstream 2 or Clearstream 4 from Best Buy or Walmart. Those are better antennas that should provide better results. And possibly a cheap RCA inline amp from Walmart may help. And some folks have good results with the Mohu Leaf Ultimate from Walmart. But, it is not really the best antenna out there, but you could always give it a try. Call Mohu over there in Raleigh and see if they think it will work in Durham.

All good suggestions for efranklin002...and I have to say, when at all possible, I try and always watch NFL games OTA since the uncompressed HD picture and sound is just fantastic. And it now looks even better on my new Panasonic P60ST60 plasma! Looking forward to the playoff games this weekend!
post #15251 of 15335 Old 01-10-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All good suggestions for efranklin002...and I have to say, when at all possible, I try and always watch NFL games OTA since the uncompressed HD picture and sound is just fantastic. And it now looks even better on my new Panasonic P60ST60 plasma! Looking forward to the playoff games this weekend!
Congratulations on the Panasonic ST60. Great choice, outstanding pic quality. Same basic bells and whistles as their top tier models in terms of video processing and features. And the last year Panasonic will be producing plasmas unfortunately, as they are generally regarded as the best plasma manufacturer edging out Samsung which is also nice. I got the 50 inch ST60 and it has a great picture as well as a very good tuner for OTA reception.
post #15252 of 15335 Old 01-10-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Congratulations on the Panasonic ST60. Great choice, outstanding pic quality. Same basic bells and whistles as their top tier models in terms of video processing and features. And the last year Panasonic will be producing plasmas unfortunately, as they are generally regarded as the best plasma manufacturer edging out Samsung which is also nice. I got the 50 inch ST60 and it has a great picture as well as a very good tuner for OTA reception.

Yup. I was casually shopping for a larger TV (50"-60") last summer but not planning to necessarily buy yet. Then I kept seeing excellent reviews of the ST60 line, started following the thread here for a few months and read about the bang for the buck, and this would be the end of the line for Panny plasmas, so as soon as a slight sale hit, I pulled the trigger and do not regret it one bit. (Of course that led to upgrading from my older Oppo player to a Oppo BDP-103...) biggrin.gif
post #15253 of 15335 Old 01-12-2014, 12:54 PM

Same issue here....keep rescanning and still can't get Fox or CBS HD anywhere. I should have just kept my antenna....at least then I wasn't paying for the channels I'm not receiving.

Edit:

I can now get CBS HD on 100-1 but still not finding Fox HD anywhere
post #15254 of 15335 Old 01-13-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nc shopper View Post

Same issue here....keep rescanning and still can't get Fox or CBS HD anywhere. I should have just kept my antenna....at least then I wasn't paying for the channels I'm not receiving.

Edit:

I can now get CBS HD on 100-1 but still not finding Fox HD anywhere

You'll probably need to call Time-Warner and get someone to come to your house, they just left my house this morning and for some reason the signal for both CBS and Fox was being blocked to our house after the recent changes, they were able to fix it pretty quickly, however it's still unacceptable on Time-Warner's part that this is happening to some of their customers.

Thanks everyone on all the recommendations, unfortunately my antenna wasn't much better (I couldn't even pickup Fox50 with it), I guess it's time to invest in a new one incase something like this happens again. Thankfully I was able to watch the Sunday playoff games in HD at a friends house.
post #15255 of 15335 Old 01-13-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:

You'll probably need to call Time-Warner and get someone to come to your house, they just left my house this morning and for some reason the signal for both CBS and Fox was being blocked to our house after the recent changes, they were able to fix it pretty quickly, however it's still unacceptable on Time-Warner's part that this is happening to some of their customers.

Thanks everyone on all the recommendations, unfortunately my antenna wasn't much better (I couldn't even pickup Fox50 with it), I guess it's time to invest in a new one incase something like this happens again. Thankfully I was able to watch the Sunday playoff games in HD at a friends house.

I talked to Time-Warner and this was the response:

These channels were broadcasted in analog format. However this consume a lot of bandwith. Therefore these channels have been updated to digital format. However you would require a digital adpater to get those channels back.
You can get the Digital Adapter for free from any of our service center.

post #15256 of 15335 Old 01-13-2014, 01:55 PM

I had NBC vanish last week and CBS vanish this weekend but they showed back up after rescanning.
post #15257 of 15335 Old 01-13-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
TWC moved 5 and 50 from the RF channels they were on (just above the 700MHz area) because Verizon LTE was causing interfernce on TWC boxes to them. So in essence, your TWC box needed to have the equivalent of a channel rescan to find them again.

For me (I'm subbing to TWC only for cable modem Internet), whatever channels they moved them to is out of the frequencies they open up for cable modems. I can still get most of the rest of the local broadcast channels (when I connect a Clear QAM tuner), but the RF channels they put the analog versions on is way down in the single digits VHF range and is thus blocked for me.

I can not state whether the analog channels are gone are not - I haven't been over to our friend that is subscribing to TWC in a while and I get my locals either OTA or on Dish Network

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #15258 of 15335 Old 01-14-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nc shopper View Post

I talked to Time-Warner and this was the response:

These channels were broadcasted in analog format. However this consume a lot of bandwith. Therefore these channels have been updated to digital format. However you would require a digital adpater to get those channels back.

You can get the Digital Adapter for free from any of our service center.

That's unlikely to help--that response sounds like something they'd respond with if someone without cable TV called up and said their rabbit ears stopped working on their old tube TV, and they wanted cable.

If your TV was receiving WRAL over cable in HD without a box before, but is not now, it's not because you missed out on some analog to digital transition, but because TW moved WRAL (and WRAZ) from their previous unencrypted QAM channels to a different one that gets blocked by filters installed for customers who are internet-only (or maybe your wiring is marginal and that channel just isn't coming through well enough??).

If you are not an internet-only customer, then TWC probably needs to send a technician out to check out your wiring and filters to fix it for you.
post #15259 of 15335 Old 01-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Unimas is now HD on 40-2.
post #15260 of 15335 Old 01-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

Unimas is now HD on 40-2.

Are 40-1 and 40-2 now both in 1080i?

post #15261 of 15335 Old 01-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, they are both 1080i.
post #15262 of 15335 Old 02-09-2014, 02:39 PM

Is anyone else having trouble picking up WRAL 5.1 OTA? I have a large ChannelMaster antenna in the attic feeding into an HDHomerun tuner. All the other channels come in nice and strong, including Fox 50. WTVD is a little low, but it always has been. WRAL is basically non-existent.
post #15263 of 15335 Old 02-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeron View Post

Is anyone else having trouble picking up WRAL 5.1 OTA? I have a large ChannelMaster antenna in the attic feeding into an HDHomerun tuner. All the other channels come in nice and strong, including Fox 50. WTVD is a little low, but it always has been. WRAL is basically non-existent.

WRAL is coming in fine for me with an indoor antenna.

post #15264 of 15335 Old 02-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

WRAL is usually 65 to 68% for me. Today, it's around 45%.
post #15265 of 15335 Old 02-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone heard anything about when Time Warner Cable might discontinue analog service in the Carolinas?

I've been a bit surprised that they have not already discontinued it. I usually watch TV OTA, but I do keep the lowest cost package as a backup. Is there any chance that internet speed will increase once the analog channels are gone, or will TWC use the freed-up bandwidth mainly for new HD channels?

post #15266 of 15335 Old 02-10-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

WRAL is coming in fine for me with an indoor antenna.

My Hauppauge ATSC tuner with an indoor loop antenna seemed to have more errors with WRAL yesterday, but tonight it seems to be back to the usual, very good quality. I don't know how to characterize it as a percentage as others have, but my tuner's signal quality app is currently showing a signal to noise ratio of 27+ with very few, occasional, correctable errors. IIRC, yesterday it was seeing low 20's with more frequent errors, including uncorrectables.
post #15267 of 15335 Old 02-11-2014, 10:30 AM

I have TWC and up until recently had only one HDTV. Now that I have two and have no desire to pay TWC for another box, I've plugged the RF cable directly into the TV and scanned. Out came a crazy mix of analog and digital channels. I'm aware of TWC's online channel list and www.silicondust.com, but even putting these listings together doesn't seem to cover what I'm receiving. Anyone have expertise in making sense of this mess?

Thanks!
Chris

Raleigh, NC 

Sony KDL-60NX720

TWC 8742HDC

post #15268 of 15335 Old 02-11-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollcage View Post

I have TWC and up until recently had only one HDTV. Now that I have two and have no desire to pay TWC for another box, I've plugged the RF cable directly into the TV and scanned. Out came a crazy mix of analog and digital channels. I'm aware of TWC's online channel list and www.silicondust.com, but even putting these listings together doesn't seem to cover what I'm receiving. Anyone have expertise in making sense of this mess?

Thanks!
Chris

The set of analog channels would be pretty much limited to channels 2-72 or maybe 2-98 in the TWC lineup you might see at titantv.com for "cable", and the digital channels would be the tiny subset of unencrypted/clear QAM stuff which includes the local broadcast channels, public access, news14, c-span, shopping channels, some of which show up under "digital cable". Last time I checked, silicondust.com didn't have digital cable listings anymore, just digital broadcast, so it wouldn't have cable only content like c-span or public access.

The crazy mix of digital channels beyond the local broadcast stuff would probably include redundant, SD versions of HD broadcast channels, extra cable-only variants of local channels (like the extra WUNC subchannel), public access, maybe somebody's pay per view on some random channel, whatever else TWC doesn't want to bother encrypting (or isn't allowed to encrypt, yet?). They don't necessarily provide the channel mapping information so that your TV knows to present the more friendly channel number so something shows up as the physical channel & subchannel 123-456 rather than whatever is the TWC listings' more friendly, virtual channel # or the broadcast channel equivalent.
post #15269 of 15335 Old 02-11-2014, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I bet a lot of people in Raleigh still have the "expanded basic" (or whatever TWC calls it) package that includes the analog channels 2-72, the useful digital channels for the locals (including HD), and the rather annoying SD digital channels with the mysterious (and ever-changing) clear QAM channel numbers, which tend to be PEG stuff or SD digital copies of a few of the channels in the analog lineup.

I found that package to be too expensive, but I didn't want to upgrade to the digital cable package, so I downgraded to the "broadcast cable" package.

Then I routed the cable TV through an old VCR that could tune the analog channels, and I use an antenna for most of my viewing, which gives me quite a few HD channels and some interesting SD subchannels.

When analog service is discontinued, I will have to decide whether it is worth the expense to even keep any cable service at all.

I'm hoping that TWC will offer a pared-down channel package at a fairly low cost, a package that does not force me to pay for a bunch of sports channels and reality TV nonsense.

post #15270 of 15335 Old 02-19-2014, 01:55 PM

Anybody have trouble with channels pixelating in the Lochmere area of Cary on TWC? I am seeing trouble with channels 1105,1111,1117,1150,1403 1350,1351 but channels 1356,1400,1404,1406,1407 are fine no problem.
This is happening on 2 different TV with 2 different set top boxes. I think it is TWC problem with a video sever??
Called TWC and they send there was no problem in my area and they could send somebody Monday morning - that was the first appointment they had.
I said I was hoping the could alert there headend folks to look for a problem and he said unless I set up an appointment they were do nothing. So
I have an appointment for Monday but if this in not fixed by then I will cancel the cable TV.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page