Forum Jump: 

post #15271 of 15339 Old 02-19-2014, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjay View Post

Anybody have trouble with channels pixelating in the Lochmere area of Cary on TWC? I am seeing trouble with channels 1105,1111,1117,1150,1403 1350,1351 but channels 1356,1400,1404,1406,1407 are fine no problem.
This is happening on 2 different TV with 2 different set top boxes. I think it is TWC problem with a video sever??
Called TWC and they send there was no problem in my area and they could send somebody Monday morning - that was the first appointment they had.
I said I was hoping the could alert there headend folks to look for a problem and he said unless I set up an appointment they were do nothing. So
I have an appointment for Monday but if this in not fixed by then I will cancel the cable TV.

Channels are all back now!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15272 of 15339 Old 03-10-2014, 01:59 PM

I'm using the local HD unencrypted channels from TWC. My LG flatscreen picks them up fine, using the set's auto channel scan. My Windows Media Center 7 PC that I use as a DVR doesn't pick those channels up via autoscan.

In the past, I've gone to silicondust.com to get the Qam channel list, where 79-2 (UNC kids) maps to 4-2. Recently silicondust hasn't had any listings for Raleigh zip codes except OTA.

My tv automatically maps the channels to their familiar locations (WRAL 5-1, etc), so I don't know WRAL's location in the 75 - 121 qam channels. The set doesn't display the original channel location anywhere. With that info, I can input by hand into media center.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to determine that list? My cheap-o USB tv tuner seems completely unable to pick up the qam channels with the autoscan.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Arnold
post #15273 of 15339 Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 PM

I'm having the same problems. I have a Windows 7 Media Center setup with a Ceton CableCARD tuner, and ran a channel scan last night. Everything seemed to map perfectly. When I got home from work tonight, the mapping isn't showing the HD version of any locals, even if I go through Edit Channel, I'm still getting the SD version tonight. (rescanned and it still shows the SD versions).
post #15274 of 15339 Old 03-13-2014, 08:10 AM

Liked: 13
I'm also CableCard/Windows Media Center. My guide isn't showing the new lineup, I've still got the old channel mappings. What this means is that if I tune to channel 300, the guide says CNN but the channel content is correctly the new lineup with ESPN HD. Alternatively if I tune to channel 1500, I get nothing. Did you have to do anything special to update your guide mapping?

I seem to be getting the HD feed appropriately. I have an HD Homerun tuner.
post #15275 of 15339 Old 03-14-2014, 05:39 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah12 View Post

I'm also CableCard/Windows Media Center. My guide isn't showing the new lineup, I've still got the old channel mappings. What this means is that if I tune to channel 300, the guide says CNN but the channel content is correctly the new lineup with ESPN HD. Alternatively if I tune to channel 1500, I get nothing. Did you have to do anything special to update your guide mapping?

I seem to be getting the HD feed appropriately. I have an HD Homerun tuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmccall View Post

I'm having the same problems. I have a Windows 7 Media Center setup with a Ceton CableCARD tuner, and ran a channel scan last night. Everything seemed to map perfectly. When I got home from work tonight, the mapping isn't showing the HD version of any locals, even if I go through Edit Channel, I'm still getting the SD version tonight. (rescanned and it still shows the SD versions).

You need to go into: Settings>TV Signal>Set Up TV Signal

This will force a new guide pairing. You should get I new options for the guide data (when it asks for your carrier and location)...I can't remember the verbiage on the one I selected (Cary-TWC digital plus?) and all the new mappings are there. You need MC and/or GuideTool to map the channel with the guide data, without a new guide load MC still knows there is a channel at 300, but if you don't assign the proper guide data, no dice.
post #15276 of 15339 Old 03-14-2014, 06:13 AM

Thanks- that worked for me. I now have the right guide data mapped to my channels. I think the change was picking the TWC-Upgrade lineup that worked for me like you said, I previously had just the TWC lineup that didn't mention upgrade.
nitdawg likes this.
post #15277 of 15339 Old 03-18-2014, 06:13 PM

The above information solved the problem of channel mapping for my Windows 7 Media Center. I had cases of incorrect channels in slots, and many SD-only channels until...

...I shut down the Windows 7 computer, unplugged the power from the SDV converter box, waited several seconds, then powered it all back up.

I read in another forum, however (I think it was greenbutton.tv) that the TWC Raleigh "New" name for the channel lineups is temporary, and when they change it to "Time Warner Digital", we are going to have to perform a new scan and redo our channel customizations all over again. The user said this occurred "a few months" after the new theme-based numbering scheme.

Ben Drawbaugh's (EngadgetHD) reviews of the TiVo Roamio have me contemplating going to that platform. My only real complaint with Windows Media Center is that it isn't stable. Sometimes the tuners lock up, sometimes the extenders lock up, and sometimes the SDV box throws an error.

Are any of you Roamio customers with Raleigh's TWC having SDV or CableCARD reliability problems?
post #15278 of 15339 Old 03-22-2014, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm getting substantial pixelation on NBC in Raleigh with my D* HR200-700. Anyone else seeing this? Is this a spot beam issue or a hardware issue on my side?
post #15279 of 15339 Old 03-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
There is a known issue with NBC on Directv receivers. It used to be only on the often-glitchy HR34 (big Genie box) but others are seeing it now. There is noting that you can do. Directv reps will not be able to help you. My HR34 does it randomly on WXII. Others have reported this issue with many different NBC - and NBC ONLY - affiliates nationwide in other Directv-specific forums. I have never seen it on WSLS Roanoke, VA, which I also get, but only in SD. If you really want to watch NBC, get the AM21 tuner and record from the OTA signal. That won't be messed up. (And you'll get all subchannels, and locals during weather delays.)
post #15280 of 15339 Old 04-01-2014, 09:21 AM

North Raleigh here.  Just off of I-540 and Creedmoor Rd.

Bought a Mohu Sky and hoping to install it next weekend.  Any thoughts?  I'm hoping an attic installation will be sufficient, but fear that I may have to mount it onto my chimney stack.

Anything I should be aware of?  Any potential issues to prevent?

Thanks,

Alex

post #15281 of 15339 Old 04-01-2014, 09:29 AM

Just moved to same area, installing my MOHU Leaf in attic, can update in a couple days once it's set up. Had great luck with it in Durham at roughly same distance from towers, not expecting anything different. If Leaf can do it, Sky definitely should be fine. Will update when I have something more relevant.
LehmannCPA likes this.
post #15282 of 15339 Old 04-01-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dah12 View Post

Just moved to same area, installing my MOHU Leaf in attic, can update in a couple days once it's set up. Had great luck with it in Durham at roughly same distance from towers, not expecting anything different. If Leaf can do it, Sky definitely should be fine. Will update when I have something more relevant.

Awesome.  Thanks for this.  I've got about 50' of shielded RG-6 going up the chimney wall and into the attic, so I can move it around if needed.  I'm hoping I can leave it in the attic, but I am prepared to go through the chimney and outside if necessary.

post #15283 of 15339 Old 04-02-2014, 08:45 AM

FYI, I just hooked up my MOHU Leaf Plus this morning and got great reception from within my finished attic. I have no doubt the better antenna and a few minutes of tinkering will have you in good shape. If you want to figure out best direction to point, Google "FCC engineering maps" to see your house in relation to area TV towers.
LehmannCPA likes this.
post #15284 of 15339 Old 04-29-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Anyone watching WRAL tonight?

I saw something atop their Web site that said WRAL programming is on WRAL2 due to extended weather coverage tonight. I didn't see that until about 9pm.

I don't mind them running scrolls and talking about the weather during commercials... but I don't like impromptu pulling of programs without warning or recourse. I was recording, so I will have to check later and see what I recorded for NCIS or NCIS: LA.

I was hoping that they would re-air these later tonight like they do when they pre-empt for other things, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that.

I happen to be in part of WRAL's viewer area where we haven't had any of the storm activity (luckily) tonight... so I wasn't even thinking they might be pre-empting... I just figured they would be running scrolls and covering during commercials like they usually do.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #15285 of 15339 Old 04-30-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
When there is a tornado WARNING in the designated market area, which in fact does include counties outside of Wake, Durham, and Orange, (the most populated I believe in this market) the stations MUST come n the air and be on the air to keep people ahead of the tornado. Especially at night when you cannot see anything, it is especially dangerous. A tornado ran thru Cumberland and Sampson counties yesterday, as well as Edgecombe, which I know are at the edge of the market, but they still are in this market area. I have family and friends in all 3 of those counties. I'm sure other markets will take these counties if the stations do not want to break up programs for them.smile.gif I know where I live, the stations will go on the air most times to warn these counties as well. As a matter of fact, WNCT stayed on the air for 4+ hours yesterday. WCTI and WYDO was close behind.
post #15286 of 15339 Old 04-30-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It was really rough here in Wilson yesterday. I watched both WRAL and WITN and they both did a fantastic job.
post #15287 of 15339 Old 04-30-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

For the record... I'm not complaining about the weather coverage... I'm complaining about how they do this somewhat randomly and don't let people know OR re-air the preempted programming later.

I get the need to cover severe weather... but the way they do it is often screwy. How many times do we see local stations interrupt programming but not commercials?

I found out last night that WTVD preempted as well... so that's two local channels that cover the same viewing area that preempted programming.

They know the weather is coming... they were tracking these storms for days... I would like to see them in the future plan these things the same way they plan for sporting events. This wasn't a last-minute thing that caught them unaware.

When they know severe weather is coming like this... make plans to preempt programming and re-air it later and inform their viewers.

That's all I'm asking.

I appreciate the weather coverage. I would appreciate it more if they planned everything else better.

Both stations (11 and 5) that I noticed last night... appeared to go to about 8:30pm and then cut to programming-in-progress... even though the storms were still going in areas last night. There was still a lot of red on the radar when they went back to live programming around 8:30pm.. and since they had already preempted to that point, it would have made more sense to me to keep going until at least the top of the hour and cover the weather.

They just aren't consistent in how they handle these things to me.

post #15288 of 15339 Old 04-30-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

And they both have subchannels which are also on TWC or OTA that they could carry the weather coverage on.
post #15289 of 15339 Old 04-30-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Yes - but the subchannels are NOT on Dish and probably not DirectTV.. No skin off my nose as I can (and often do) watch OTA almost as much as DBS. But HdMe's reception situation is probably not as favorable as mine for OTA reception.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #15290 of 15339 Old 04-30-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

Yes - but the subchannels are NOT on Dish and probably not DirectTV.. No skin off my nose as I can (and often do) watch OTA almost as much as DBS. But HdMe's reception situation is probably not as favorable as mine for OTA reception.

Hmm... didnt realize that subs were not on sat services...
post #15291 of 15339 Old 04-30-2014, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post

Hmm... didnt realize that subs were not on sat services...

That's right. I have DISH and WRAL 5.2 is not available, although PBS 4.3 (PBS-EX) is. I have an attic antenna and try and watch the OTA locals for better picture quality unless the signal is dicey, but yeah, I noticed that both WRAL and WTVD both pre-empted their programming for the live storm tracking. They cover a wide area of central and eastern NC and while Wake county did not have much in the way of bad storms, areas near Wilson and such had radar signals that looked like possible tornadoes between 6pm - 8pm last night. Yeah, if it is not near you, it is inconvenient, but I am glad they do it for those that need it. Not everyone has cable, etc. Some folks in the more rural areas just have a roof-top antenna for the OTA channels....or satellite.
post #15292 of 15339 Old 04-30-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree, they should do more than a crawl for Severe Thunderstorms, but I think those days have really dwindled and did so years ago. With internet, to many shills come out and scream dirty e-mails and such at the stations. I know a few years ago one of the Wilmington stations decided to stop breaking up programs for severe because of this. If it was me, I would tell them to go buy their own license and tower and do with it what THEY wanted.
post #15293 of 15339 Old 05-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Satellite viewers can view subs right on their guides, most just don't know how. The Genie system even distributes the OTA signals to all rooms making your antenna channels viewable and recordable from every room. I don't know if the Hopper does. You can even get out of market locals in HD. And who cares when there's a dispute? You'll still have the channel.

Directv has an AM21 tuner and Dish Network has something similar. Most people in the Raleigh-Durham area and well beyond can get the locals easily OTA without any extravagant antenna, except maybe WTVD. Attach the antenna to the tuner and set it it up. It's BEYOND easy. This is what it looks like.

post #15294 of 15339 Old 05-02-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah... we have antennas and can view the sub-channels... but when WRAL doesn't tell you they are going to pre-empt programming until they actually do it... you have no chance to change timers to record a different channel. My position is that they had to know how serious these storms were all day, and for a couple of days before actually, and so they knew they were going to pre-empt programming that night... but didn't let anyone know until it was too late to react... and they didn't even cover the severe weather until it completely subsided. They bailed on the weather coverage at 8:30 while the storms were still going in several areas. I think they could plan this stuff better is all.

post #15295 of 15339 Old 05-02-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

+1 on that - if they would just come up with a standard plan that they would always follow....

post #15296 of 15339 Old 05-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
They have a standard plan. Weather goes live when there is a tornado warning anywhere in the DMA. The downside is that it's a huge DMA, so you could have sunshine in Person County and torrential rains in Sampson County.
post #15297 of 15339 Old 05-03-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

+1 on that - if they would just come up with a standard plan that they would always follow....

You can't guarantee the weather will hit though. Our stations to the east told us that Wednesday and Thursday would be the bad days with tornadoes, and said Tuesday would be quieter, and it was for most of us, but Jones and Craven saw a Tornado, and those counties along I-95, on Tuesday, but the next two days saw no warnings at all for Tornado. So if the stations had said we will move programs to another time, they would have lost all those ads and people would be mad because there was nothing happening. When the SPC (storm prediction center) issues discussions and watches, as well as a slight risk a day or two out, stations have to consider these in their forecasts to the viewers in these areas. Once in a while, the weather just does it's own thing.
post #15298 of 15339 Old 05-03-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

The weather doesn't pop up at the last minute on the day of the storm, though. That's what I mean... they track this stuff for a week... changes happen... but the day and evening of the storm they know there are going to be problems. Weather didn't just start being a problem last week. Stations in this area have been at it since before I was born!

Since they have timeshift capability... have had it for years... they should have a standard plan in place that essentially says... when important weather is in the viewing area, they will preempt regular programming and air that programming in a later timeslot. Before the severe weather hits, they can remind viewers of that policy and after the weather clears they can again remind viewers of that policy and where/when to look for the rebroadcasts.

That would serve the community, keep viewers happy, and also keep advertisers happy because more eyes on a rebroadcast when people know where to go.

It seems like such a simple thing. As I said earlier, they do this like clockwork for the ACC men's basketball tourney... they preempt CBS on WRAL for a couple of nights and air the programming in the early morning hours later those next couple of nights. They announce it, they do it, and it works like clockwork. There's no reason they can't do the same with severe weather coverage.

post #15299 of 15339 Old 05-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

This is pretty cool. Maybe someday WRAZ 50-2 and WRAL 5-2 will be SD 16:9. Enough news and sports go on there that gets chopped for no reason. The NASL game on WRAL2 earlier had chopped graphics. No excuse for that.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140501&content_id=73953606&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t234&sid=t234#article_comments_contents
post #15300 of 15339 Old 06-12-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Anything new ?

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page