Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
Anything new ?
This is new (to me, at least)...

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/abc-discontinue-live-well-network/131646
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15302 of 15309 Old 06-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 44
What do you suppose WTVD will chose as a replacement for LiveWell?
The Raleigh DMA already has most of the available diginets. Will WTVD go back to having a weather feed?
post #15303 of 15309 Old 06-15-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
The Raleigh DMA already has most of the available diginets. Will WTVD go back to having a weather feed?
No news on a replacement just yet.

However, I am crossing my fingers for some Classic Disney! Running on the subchannel of a major-market ABC station, it makes perfect sense!

Would writing letters, submitting a petition, or starting a Facebook group help any?

And apologies if it looks like I'm "trolling" every "R.I.P. Live Well" message; a free, all-family network is like a breath of fresh air...WAVES!

dtv_junkie87
post #15304 of 15309 Old 06-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv_junkie87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
No news on a replacement just yet.

However, I am crossing my fingers for some Classic Disney! Running on the subchannel of a major-market ABC station, it makes perfect sense!

Would writing letters, submitting a petition, or starting a Facebook group help any?

And apologies if it looks like I'm "trolling" every "R.I.P. Live Well" message; a free, all-family network is like a breath of fresh air...WAVES!

dtv_junkie87
I really can't imagine Disney doing that. They make too much money from DVD sales of the true classics ("Snow White", "Bambi", "Pinocchio", etc.), so they wouldn't be willing to put that stuff on free TV. And the live action Disney movies from the 60's and 70's were really not that great, so I can't see a station full of those movies commanding much of an audience.
post #15305 of 15309 Old 07-16-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guess this isn't surprising - WRAL has now developed the first 4K programming by a local station. Even less surprising, it includes another Capitol Broadcasting company - the Bulls.

http://www.wral.com/wral-achieves-an...tary/13811223/
post #15306 of 15309 Old 07-17-2014, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 98
The "first" would be if they actually broadcast something in 4K... Lots of things shot on film going back before my lifetime have the equivalent of 4K-8K resolution... and in recent years things shot using digital cameras have been shot in 4K... so I'm not sure what is "first" about this if you really look at it.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #15307 of 15309 Old 07-17-2014, 10:57 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwhite99 View Post
Guess this isn't surprising - WRAL has now developed the first 4K programming by a local station. Even less surprising, it includes another Capitol Broadcasting company - the Bulls.

http://www.wral.com/wral-achieves-an...tary/13811223/
4K is a solution in search of a problem.

The human visual system can resolve detail at around 0.6 arcminute per line pair. That's an excellent eyeball in excellent conditions. Now I'll grant that looking at a light source (which is what a TV really is) is pretty good conditions. So... do the math (and you thought you'd never need that high school trigonometry!).

Turns out that most people don't sit close enough to their TVs to get the benefit from increasing resolution from 720 to 1080. If they are getting the full benefit of 1080, asking them to move to 4k, while keeping everything else the same, is asking them to cut the distance between their seat and the TV in half. If they don't, there's little point to the increased resolution. Think about that -- would you move your seating position that close to your TV? I wouldn't.

Same exact thing applies in theaters. Sony has done the research and published a white paper on it (which I can't find the link for when I need it, of course). Basically, they concluded that even in a modern (stadium seating) theater, you had to be sitting in the first few rows to get the benefit from 4K. The farther you get from the screen, the less detail you can resolve. If you are sitting mid front to middle, 2K is all you resolve. Middle to mid-back, 1080. Mid-back to the back row, 720.

And this is why nearly all the DCPs going to your local theaters are 2K. Just because they've got that fancy 4K Sony projector doesn't mean they are showing you a 4K movie. Nearly all of them are projecting just 2K. And most of the films not captured using Red cameras are actually captured at less than 3K. Skyfall was mostly shot on Arri cameras at 2.7K, and was a sharp and clean on the screen as anything I've ever seen, including the parts of The Dark Knight which were shot on 65mm film, the highest resolution media available (think 8K+).

Like I said, 4K is a solution in search of a problem.
post #15308 of 15309 Old 07-17-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Well when you go in the stores, all they are pushing these days are those overpriced Ultra HD 4K LEDs. But I honestly think that regular HD cable and OTA antenna TV looks best on the basic 720p plasma from Samsung. And right now the 51 inch F4500 model has been selling for $399. Great TV, excellent price. No need for unnecessary upconversion, despite what the salesmen says. Too bad these plasmas are being phased out, as they truly seem to be the best bang for the buck. And for future tech, the LG OLED model at HHG looks like a nice replacement for plasma, as the blacks are very good and there is no side angle vision fade like other LCD/LEDs. But those prices need to come down.
post #15309 of 15309 Old 07-18-2014, 10:48 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Well when you go in the stores, all they are pushing these days are those overpriced Ultra HD 4K LEDs.
Yep. Just like they pushed 3D before this. How'd that work out for 'em?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
But I honestly think that regular HD cable and OTA antenna TV looks best on the basic 720p plasma from Samsung. And right now the 51 inch F4500 model has been selling for $399. Great TV, excellent price. No need for unnecessary upconversion, despite what the salesmen says. Too bad these plasmas are being phased out, as they truly seem to be the best bang for the buck. And for future tech, the LG OLED model at HHG looks like a nice replacement for plasma, as the blacks are very good and there is no side angle vision fade like other LCD/LEDs. But those prices need to come down.
Yep. I'm using a Panny 1080 plasma and an OTA antenna supplied by WRAL back during "the conversion". Works a treat. But then, I'm only about 12 miles from the Garner antenna farm. It bloody well should work a treat!

I'm not actually against 4K, or QHD, or whatever anyone wants to call it. But unlike the move from SD to HD for which just about anyone got a big boost in image quality, the move from HD to QD isn't going to be much, if any, improvement for most people.

Especially when it looks like everyone is going to be watching TV on their smartphones. What would be the point of 4k on a smart phone?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page