Raleigh, NC - HDTV - Page 514 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #15391 of 15410 Old 05-17-2015, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
They are scattered on the 3 towers. WTVD, WRAL,WNCN, WRAZ, WRDC, and WLFL all call it home. As far as FM, WRAL, WQDR and WTKK are there too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15392 of 15410 Old 05-17-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retspin View Post
They are scattered on the 3 towers. WTVD, WRAL,WNCN, WRAZ, WRDC, and WLFL all call it home. As far as FM, WRAL, WQDR and WTKK are there too.
WQDR is on the analog WRAL tower as well as WRAL FM I believe. WTVD is on it's own tower further east. If you look for the three headed tower, that is the one with WNCN, WRAL, WRAZ, WLFL and RDC
post #15393 of 15410 Old 05-17-2015, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
WCMC 99.9 is also out there along with a UNC-TV translator for WUNC. The eastern tower is the one with the candelabra. I think WTVD is a little south of that and then the old analog/FM tower is the westernmost one. WRAL has a camera around the 1800ft level of the candelabra tower that looks at downtown Raleigh and the old FM stick is always visible in the corner of the shot.
post #15394 of 15410 Old 05-17-2015, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
WRDC went back to back to the analog tower and reused the old analog ch 28 antenna for digital operation. The rf 27 facility that they were using at the candelabra tower was switched over to WLFL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #15395 of 15410 Old 05-18-2015, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhk63 View Post
When traveling up interstate 40 near Clayton Garner area I can see what appears to be the antenna farm for the RDU tv stations. What stations are located there and are they all on the same tower?
RabbitEars has a list of stations at the Garner antenna farm. If two or more stations have the same ASRN number, they're on the same tower.
http://www.rabbitears.info/locationm...arner+%28NC%29

One person's craziness is another person's reality. - Tim Burton
post #15396 of 15410 Old 05-18-2015, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
When traveling up interstate 40 near Clayton Garner area I can see what appears to be the antenna farm for the RDU tv stations. What stations are located there and are they all on the same tower?
Most of the local broadcasters have transmitters in the Garner antenna farm. This Antennaweb.org chart shows you where this is located relative to Raleigh. The yellow line runs to the Garner location.

If you look closely, you can see that there are at least three towers because the location vectors vary just a little. Which station is using which tower I couldn't tell ya.
post #15397 of 15410 Old 05-18-2015, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcg66b3r View Post
RabbitEars has a list of stations at the Garner antenna farm. If two or more stations have the same ASRN number, they're on the same tower.
http://www.rabbitears.info/locationm...arner+%28NC%29
why do channel 5 and 50 have two listings
post #15398 of 15410 Old 05-18-2015, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
WQDR is on the analog WRAL tower as well as WRAL FM I believe. WTVD is on it's own tower further east. If you look for the three headed tower, that is the one with WNCN, WRAL, WRAZ, WLFL and RDC
So....any idea why WRAL 5.1 seems to drop-out and pixelate more than it used to? I used to get the best, most stable signal for WRAL with my OTA antenna, but lately (last month or two), more often than not, WRAL is not as stable as WTVD and WNCN.
post #15399 of 15410 Old 05-18-2015, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
why do channel 5 and 50 have two listings
One is for the primary transmitter (DT-LIC), while the other is for the auxiliary transmitter (DX-LIC).

Quote:
Q. What do the DT-LIC, DX-CP, etc. all mean?
The first two letters identify the station type, and the second identify its status. DT is full-service Digital Television, DS is a Digital STA (Special Temporary Authority), DX is Digital auXiliary, DC is Digital Class A, LD is Low-powered Digital. As for status, LIC is licensed, CP is Construction Permit, APP is an APPlication for a construction permit, and an STA is special temporary authority to operate with the specified facilities without a license for those facilities, often used in cases of tower collapse and other unforseen events.
http://www.rabbitears.info/faq.php#layout

One person's craziness is another person's reality. - Tim Burton
post #15400 of 15410 Old 05-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
So....any idea why WRAL 5.1 seems to drop-out and pixelate more than it used to? I used to get the best, most stable signal for WRAL with my OTA antenna, but lately (last month or two), more often than not, WRAL is not as stable as WTVD and WNCN.
No problems here south of Greenville
post #15401 of 15410 Old 05-18-2015, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not living in the broadcast radius of WRAL, it is hard for me to say. Usually when I do find the signals coming in from these stations, WRAL is one of the more stable channels but WRDC seems to have the edge on all of them. I do not get WTVD because it is squeezed in between WNCT and WCTI. I would guess you have some kind of signal blockage like reflections or tree issues.
post #15402 of 15410 Old 05-18-2015, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Generally speaking, reception issues that start mid-March to mid-May are almost always Spring Foliage related.
post #15403 of 15410 Old 05-19-2015, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCAVS View Post
Generally speaking, reception issues that start mid-March to mid-May are almost always Spring Foliage related.
OK, going with that idea....does that have more impact on the lower number stations? Since all the channel transmitters now come from the same tower farm in Garner and my OTA antenna is mounted in the attic aimed at the antenna farm seems like all the channels would have some spring foliage impact unless it is more pronounced on the lower end stations.
post #15404 of 15410 Old 05-19-2015, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
OK, going with that idea....does that have more impact on the lower number stations? Since all the channel transmitters now come from the same tower farm in Garner and my OTA antenna is mounted in the attic aimed at the antenna farm seems like all the channels would have some spring foliage impact unless it is more pronounced on the lower end stations.
You are looking at that incorrectly.

WTVD actually broadcasts on RF Channel 11
WNCN actually broadcasts on RF Channel 17
WRAL actually broadcasts on RF Channel 48

You cannot go much higher than that.

How is your reception on WRAZ which actually broadcasts on RF Channel 49?
post #15405 of 15410 Old 05-20-2015, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

All the high power UHF channels are coming in good this morning for me, and I have four splits off my antenna.
post #15406 of 15410 Old 05-20-2015, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
All the high power UHF channels are coming in good this morning for me, and I have four splits off my antenna.
We are now getting into the summer season where weather conditions pull in the distant channels more favorably.
post #15407 of 15410 Old 05-22-2015, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCAVS View Post
You are looking at that incorrectly.

WTVD actually broadcasts on RF Channel 11
WNCN actually broadcasts on RF Channel 17
WRAL actually broadcasts on RF Channel 48

You cannot go much higher than that.

How is your reception on WRAZ which actually broadcasts on RF Channel 49?
I generally have trouble with WRAZ come summer time. There is a huge mass of pines about 100 yards directly in line with my antenna. I can still get but have to find the perfect direction. My antenna points to the NW 99% of the time. I can receive all the RDU stations and Greenville/Newbern without having to rotate from the NW direction. WLFL and WRDC are my best stations. I can generally get them just about anyway I have it pointed. I'm guessing it has something to do with my antenna being able to tune RF 27 and 28
post #15408 of 15410 Unread Today, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I knew this was coming but can anyone else confirm that clear qam local channels are officially gone from TWC?
post #15409 of 15410 Unread Today, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
In North Raleigh on TWC at my house, analog disappeared a couple of weeks ago, and locals have disappeared over the last 36 hours. They've taken it away, so now the increased internet speeds had better be close behind.
post #15410 of 15410 Unread Today, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dah12 View Post
In North Raleigh on TWC at my house, analog disappeared a couple of weeks ago, and locals have disappeared over the last 36 hours. They've taken it away, so now the increased internet speeds had better be close behind.
So are you going to go with antenna or subscribe to their cable TV? Living so close to the broadcast towers, I think it's foolish to pay for something that is readily available for free. Down here, the local channels are nearly $20, and you don't even get half of them, maybe a quarter of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page