Raleigh, NC - HDTV - Page 515 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #15421 of 15426 Old 07-27-2015, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for attic antenna recommendation

We live in Apex and would like to put an antenna in our attic to get the main broadcast channels to at least 2 TVs, maybe more later. I record onto a HDD recorder and since TWC went all digital requiring a digital adapter I can't really record unattended. We have tried the Mohu Sky in our upstairs bedroom, but not all channels always come in very well. I've recorded shows with parts unwatchable. Is there a better attic antenna that someone can recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15422 of 15426 Old 07-28-2015, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Appears MAXX went live here sometime in the past couple of days. 118/12 Mbps on Extreme.

That's on a 6141.

Last edited by VisionOn; 07-28-2015 at 09:12 AM.
post #15423 of 15426 Old 07-29-2015, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenT View Post
We live in Apex and would like to put an antenna in our attic to get the main broadcast channels to at least 2 TVs, maybe more later. I record onto a HDD recorder and since TWC went all digital requiring a digital adapter I can't really record unattended. We have tried the Mohu Sky in our upstairs bedroom, but not all channels always come in very well. I've recorded shows with parts unwatchable. Is there a better attic antenna that someone can recommend?
I'm in Durham and I first tried a Mohu Leaf, which didn't work for me.
Next I tried HD Frequency's "Cable Cutter", available here:
http://www.hdfrequency.com/best_indo..._antennas.html
It was much better, but still not good enough.
I finally went with a Channel Master 4228HD
http://www.channelmaster.com/CM_4228HD_p/cm-4228hd.htm

Even then WTVD (11) doesn't come in well.

I then home-built a high-vhf hourglass antenna and combined it with the CM4228HD. Instructions are here:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/loop...fhourglassloop
I used the one with seven reflector rods.

WTVD is now acceptable, but I still get some drop-outs. The channels I care the most about report a signal strength of over 90 on my TV, though WTVD is in the low 70's. Without the high-vhf antenna WTVD is in the low 40's. With just the high-vhf antenna connected WTVD is also in the low 40's.

If I were to do it again I might just get two CM4228HDs and combine them.
post #15424 of 15426 Old 07-29-2015, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundakitty View Post
Even then WTVD (11) doesn't come in well.
That's probably because WTVD is the only station in the area still using VHF. The Channel Master 4228 is designed for UHF, which is what all other stations in the area use. The 4228, good as it is, has peak efficiency (that is, maximum gain) somewhere in the middle of the UHF range, around channel 25 (UNC virtual channel 4.1) IIRC. Its efficiency is pretty far down by the time you get down to channel 11 (WTVD virtual channel 11.1). Wave lengths down there are just too long for efficient capture by a bowtie.

All I'm sayin' is that you're on the right track by adding your hi-vhf antenna. Aim needs to be good (including elevation). And you may want to add an amplifier for it.
post #15425 of 15426 Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The CM4228 has fairly good performance on high VHF, which is why I chose it. In my simple experiments I found it to perform on channel 11 just as well as the high VHF hourglass. I measured each antenna individually, then used a UHF/VHF combiner (Blonder Tongue ZUVSJ). The TV reported the same signal strength on channel 11 for each test. I finally ended up with a simple combiner, which raised the reported signal strength from the 40's to the 70's. Be sure to use identical lengths (and brands) of coax between the antenna and the combiner. The two antennas should be separated by at least 5 feet.

My house is in a depression surrounded by trees. The antennas are mounted in the attic. I'm sure I'd get better performance if I had them on a mast above the roof line.
post #15426 of 15426 Old Today, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 20
An amplifier may make things worse on WTVD if you already have distortion going on from reflections in the attic or noise interference. The best thing to do is get out of the attic if you can with a real VHF high antenna with a horizontal boom. Even in the attic the proper antenna may be enough. WTVD has a lousy signal on VHF anyway from everything I have seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page