Raleigh, NC - HDTV - Page 515 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #15421 of 15444 Old 07-27-2015, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for attic antenna recommendation

We live in Apex and would like to put an antenna in our attic to get the main broadcast channels to at least 2 TVs, maybe more later. I record onto a HDD recorder and since TWC went all digital requiring a digital adapter I can't really record unattended. We have tried the Mohu Sky in our upstairs bedroom, but not all channels always come in very well. I've recorded shows with parts unwatchable. Is there a better attic antenna that someone can recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15422 of 15444 Old 07-28-2015, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Appears MAXX went live here sometime in the past couple of days. 118/12 Mbps on Extreme.

That's on a 6141.

Last edited by VisionOn; 07-28-2015 at 09:12 AM.
post #15423 of 15444 Old 07-29-2015, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenT View Post
We live in Apex and would like to put an antenna in our attic to get the main broadcast channels to at least 2 TVs, maybe more later. I record onto a HDD recorder and since TWC went all digital requiring a digital adapter I can't really record unattended. We have tried the Mohu Sky in our upstairs bedroom, but not all channels always come in very well. I've recorded shows with parts unwatchable. Is there a better attic antenna that someone can recommend?
I'm in Durham and I first tried a Mohu Leaf, which didn't work for me.
Next I tried HD Frequency's "Cable Cutter", available here:
http://www.hdfrequency.com/best_indo..._antennas.html
It was much better, but still not good enough.
I finally went with a Channel Master 4228HD
http://www.channelmaster.com/CM_4228HD_p/cm-4228hd.htm

Even then WTVD (11) doesn't come in well.

I then home-built a high-vhf hourglass antenna and combined it with the CM4228HD. Instructions are here:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/loop...fhourglassloop
I used the one with seven reflector rods.

WTVD is now acceptable, but I still get some drop-outs. The channels I care the most about report a signal strength of over 90 on my TV, though WTVD is in the low 70's. Without the high-vhf antenna WTVD is in the low 40's. With just the high-vhf antenna connected WTVD is also in the low 40's.

If I were to do it again I might just get two CM4228HDs and combine them.
post #15424 of 15444 Old 07-29-2015, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundakitty View Post
Even then WTVD (11) doesn't come in well.
That's probably because WTVD is the only station in the area still using VHF. The Channel Master 4228 is designed for UHF, which is what all other stations in the area use. The 4228, good as it is, has peak efficiency (that is, maximum gain) somewhere in the middle of the UHF range, around channel 25 (UNC virtual channel 4.1) IIRC. Its efficiency is pretty far down by the time you get down to channel 11 (WTVD virtual channel 11.1). Wave lengths down there are just too long for efficient capture by a bowtie.

All I'm sayin' is that you're on the right track by adding your hi-vhf antenna. Aim needs to be good (including elevation). And you may want to add an amplifier for it.
post #15425 of 15444 Old 07-30-2015, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The CM4228 has fairly good performance on high VHF, which is why I chose it. In my simple experiments I found it to perform on channel 11 just as well as the high VHF hourglass. I measured each antenna individually, then used a UHF/VHF combiner (Blonder Tongue ZUVSJ). The TV reported the same signal strength on channel 11 for each test. I finally ended up with a simple combiner, which raised the reported signal strength from the 40's to the 70's. Be sure to use identical lengths (and brands) of coax between the antenna and the combiner. The two antennas should be separated by at least 5 feet.

My house is in a depression surrounded by trees. The antennas are mounted in the attic. I'm sure I'd get better performance if I had them on a mast above the roof line.
post #15426 of 15444 Old 07-31-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 20
An amplifier may make things worse on WTVD if you already have distortion going on from reflections in the attic or noise interference. The best thing to do is get out of the attic if you can with a real VHF high antenna with a horizontal boom. Even in the attic the proper antenna may be enough. WTVD has a lousy signal on VHF anyway from everything I have seen.
post #15427 of 15444 Old 08-01-2015, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has WRAL 5.2 switched networks? It used to be ThisTV but I just noticed today that is now listed as H&I (Heroes & Icons) network.
post #15428 of 15444 Old 08-01-2015, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
Has WRAL 5.2 switched networks? It used to be ThisTV but I just noticed today that is now listed as H&I (Heroes & Icons) network.

Yes. They changed it this last Thursday. Ratings were dropping and they figured that a network showing more 1 hour shows would do better than one showing a lot of old movies. Time will tell if they are right. Here is a link to the article.

New Programming Coming to WRAL2
http://www.wral.com/change-coming-to-wral2/14799253/
post #15429 of 15444 Old 08-02-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
Yes. They changed it this last Thursday. Ratings were dropping and they figured that a network showing more 1 hour shows would do better than one showing a lot of old movies. Time will tell if they are right. Here is a link to the article.

New Programming Coming to WRAL2
http://www.wral.com/change-coming-to-wral2/14799253/
Cool. Although they did have some decent movies on ThisTV for the most part majority of them did not really appeal to my viewing interests. I looked at H&I's channel lineup and I will be more inclined to watch more programming on 5.2 with those shows. I know everybody does it feel this way but I'm just speaking for myself. Besides I still get ThisTV from another network on cable if I ever choose to watch any of their programing.
post #15430 of 15444 Old 08-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 14
WRAZ/50 has been on a weak backup transmitter for a month now. Anyone know what happened to their primary?
post #15431 of 15444 Old 08-02-2015, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

This TV used to be better. It has been airing movies that I don't want to watch for the last several months. The MOVIES! network has also gone downhill. Hero's and Icons is coming soon this month to my area as well, and will replace Antenna TV.
post #15432 of 15444 Old 08-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
This TV used to be better. It has been airing movies that I don't want to watch for the last several months. The MOVIES! network has also gone downhill. Hero's and Icons is coming soon this month to my area as well, and will replace Antenna TV.
Who has Antenna TV/is getting H&I?
post #15433 of 15444 Old 08-02-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndThenScottSays View Post
Who has Antenna TV/is getting H&I?
It's coming to 41.2 WTMQ August 15 I think, but not exact on the date.
post #15434 of 15444 Old 08-10-2015, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndThenScottSays View Post
WRAZ/50 has been on a weak backup transmitter for a month now. Anyone know what happened to their primary?

I was told that they have a problem with the transmission line and that they are on a backup antenna. They are a no show at my mom's house Greene County now.
post #15435 of 15444 Old 08-10-2015, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retspin View Post
I was told that they [WRAZ] have a problem with the transmission line and that they are on a backup antenna. They are a no show at my mom's house Greene County now.
Why won't WRAZ simulcast temporarily on WRAL 5.3 (in 720p HD)?

One person's craziness is another person's reality. - Tim Burton
post #15436 of 15444 Old 08-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

WRAZ is back to normal now
Retspin likes this.
post #15437 of 15444 Old 08-29-2015, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Willow Spring, NC Can I use a satellite dish as a whole house antenna?

I just found the forum this morning. Spent an hour searching a million different ways to find the answer. If it exists and I missed it, my apologies. Please send me to the right place.

Currently have TWC for Internet and 1 HDDVR. Use Roku on 2 TVs. Son has a PS4. Want to ditch the TV and keep internet. Had DirectTV for about 3 months 2 years ago. It was terrible. We quit. They were nice enough to leave the shiny new dish on our roof. When they installed, it looks like they split in to TWC's lines at the outside box.

Is it possible to buy an outdoor antenna, mount it to the dish and use the existing cabling and indoor jacks to get antenna signal to my 3 tvs?

If so, where can I find recommendations on the antenna and installation instructions?

Thank you! Michelle
post #15438 of 15444 Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamchelle View Post

I just found the forum this morning. Spent an hour searching a million different ways to find the answer. If it exists and I missed it, my apologies. Please send me to the right place.

Currently have TWC for Internet and 1 HDDVR. Use Roku on 2 TVs. Son has a PS4. Want to ditch the TV and keep internet. Had DirectTV for about 3 months 2 years ago. It was terrible. We quit. They were nice enough to leave the shiny new dish on our roof. When they installed, it looks like they split in to TWC's lines at the outside box.

Is it possible to buy an outdoor antenna, mount it to the dish and use the existing cabling and indoor jacks to get antenna signal to my 3 tvs?

If so, where can I find recommendations on the antenna and installation instructions?

Thank you! Michelle
For antenna type suggestions, try http://antennaweb.org/ and put in your exact location.

If you are far from towers, or your antenna far from TV in house, or extra TV's , you might need a signal amplifier. (one part installed on the mast by antenna, one part at the TV).

Cables - if the ones used are old, they might not carry the signal well - OTA is digital, and the older type cables don't do well enough. I think what is used for digital signals is RG6 Cable. ( http://forums.solidsignal.com/showth...ypes-of-cables ) Sometimes you can find a stamp every so often on the cables that has the rating.

There you go - more things to search or ask about.

Wendy
post #15439 of 15444 Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamchelle View Post
If you mean can you point the satellite dish at the Garner antenna farm (where most of the local area TV station transmitters are physically located on towers) and pull in OTA broadcasts, then probably no.

That's because the satellite dish is sized for the carrier frequency of the particular satellite it's designed for, not for OTA reception.

You're going to need something more like a Channel Master 4220 (a two bay bow-tie style UHF antenna, other completely different designs work about as well). How big you need (2, 4, 8 bays depending on how much signal you need) depends on how far away you are and how good your "line of sight" is toward the transmitters.

As Wendy advised, websites like AntennaWeb.org are your friend. Not great user interfaces, but when you figure it out they will tell you the important information like which direction to point you antenna and how big an antenna you really need. Invaluable information.

If you want to pickup channels that are not located in the Garner antenna farm (like Chapel Hill's channel 4) you're going to probably need an antenna rotor like the Eagle Aspen ROTR100 to point your antenna at the appropriate transmitter.

For the record, I use both the products I supplied URLs to, and find they work great in the RDU area. And no, I don't have any ties real or imagined to either company beyond being a happy customer.

As far as where to buy all the necessary accessories to mount an antenna on your roof, in your attic, etc. Wendy again points you to one of the biggies in Summit Source. Pretty painful user interface that's difficult to search and find things, but they are pretty complete.

Pro-Wire Communications is a local (NC) company that has a lot of wiring and fixture stuff also. When I've bought stuff from Scott I've been impressed by his fast service. Again, no connection other than being a happy customer.

If you have questions as you go, this is one of the places to ask them. Often a pretty responsive group given how location specific it is.
post #15440 of 15444 Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 126
^^MCM Electronics has lowest prices on 2 bay, 4 bay, and 8 bay UHF antennas. Use all source codes on their home page for best discount. Also good prices on amplifiers and other accessories.
post #15441 of 15444 Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Although to get WTVD RF11, you may need a VHF and UHF combo antenna, such as Winegard 7694. Or Clearstream 2V sold at Walmart.
post #15442 of 15444 Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Isn't Willow Spring pretty close to the antenna farm in Garner?
Might want to try an indoor antenna first, just to get an idea of which signals are available and at what strengths.
WUNC has a translator at the Garner farm, but I think it is directed to serve only certain portions of Raleigh.
post #15443 of 15444 Old Today, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Although to get WTVD RF11, you may need a VHF and UHF combo antenna, such as Winegard 7694. Or Clearstream 2V sold at Walmart.
My understanding, flawed as it may be, is that WTVD is the only station in the local area that is still broadcasting in the VHF band (still using physical channel 11). My CM-4220 antenna picks it up just fine. It must be "close enough" to the bottom of UHF, or I must be physically close enough (I'm 12.7 miles from the xmitter) that it just doesn't matter. IDK, but it works for me.
post #15444 of 15444 Old Today, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
My understanding, flawed as it may be, is that WTVD is the only station in the local area that is still broadcasting in the VHF band (still using physical channel 11). My CM-4220 antenna picks it up just fine. It must be "close enough" to the bottom of UHF, or I must be physically close enough (I'm 12.7 miles from the xmitter) that it just doesn't matter. IDK, but it works for me.
Those UHF antennas can also get VHF if you are not too far away and have a decent signal. The larger CM-4228 8 bay does a good job with High VHF. Also it may help since WTVD has a strong power level for VHF and uses a circular polarized antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page