Raleigh, NC - HDTV - Page 517 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #15481 of 15510 Old 01-16-2016, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes CBS is #1 so far this season, but NBC is actually #2 and FOX is in 4th place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15482 of 15510 Old 01-16-2016, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retspin View Post
Yes CBS is #1 so far this season, but NBC is actually #2 and FOX is in 4th place.

But is that "total viewers" or "in the demo"?
post #15483 of 15510 Old 01-16-2016, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
WRAL signed a "very long term" deal with NBC. They're looking toward the future, and CBS has programming that appeals mostly to older folks...folks that won't be around in 15-20 years. I think it's a smart move in the long run, but they're likely to lose the aging baby boomer crowd in the near term until they die off.

WRAL had the upper hand in negotiations as well since they're such a flagship station on the east coast. I think Les Moonves got a little greedy here and will regret this down the road.
post #15484 of 15510 Old 01-17-2016, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsketchie View Post
WRAL signed a "very long term" deal with NBC. They're looking toward the future, and CBS has programming that appeals mostly to older folks...folks that won't be around in 15-20 years. I think it's a smart move in the long run, but they're likely to lose the aging baby boomer crowd in the near term until they die off.

WRAL had the upper hand in negotiations as well since they're such a flagship station on the east coast. I think Les Moonves got a little greedy here and will regret this down the road.
People in the triangle have never watched NBC enough to come close to beating the other networks. In fact, I find it's older retired people who watch the Today show and NBC nightly news, not the younger crowd in Wilmington and Greenville. These people are watching these shows because of the local station, WITN, WECT. Older people grew up on these stations and have stuck with them, just like the WRAL crowd sticking to it, like an addiction.

Last edited by jspENC; 01-17-2016 at 08:15 AM.
post #15485 of 15510 Old 01-17-2016, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Keep politics off AVS.
djsketchie likes this.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #15486 of 15510 Old 01-17-2016, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I took that part out Mike. My apologies for mentioning political agendas.
post #15487 of 15510 Old 01-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Haven't seen either of these mentioned - WNCN is carrying Justice network on 17.3 now, and 22.2 is now ASN24/7, which seems to be replays of sports that ASN has carried.
post #15488 of 15510 Old 01-17-2016, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Very major deal for NBC coming from the 3rd rated station to the #1 powerhouse WRAL which is a top legacy station. And very interesting that NBC reportedly better supports the business model for local broadcasters rather than CBS. Whatever that may mean. Especially considering that CBS is the #1 rated network in most time periods, so they must have offered WRAL a great deal to switch. I know for years NBC tried to lure WBTV or WSOC to switch in Charlotte, where they are also affiliated with the 3rd rated station WCNC. I wonder now if the business climate for broadcasters has indeed changed such that another such change could now possibly occur in Charlotte. But WBTV and WSOC seem to be successful with CBS and ABC, but so was WRAL with CBS so we thought.
post #15489 of 15510 Old 01-17-2016, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

WRAL will lose the top rated CBS soap operas, but probably Young and the Restless will now be aired normal time at 12:30 rather than delayed to 4pm. Days of Our Lives should move to WRAL.
post #15490 of 15510 Old 01-17-2016, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
so they must have offered WRAL a great deal to switch.
I'm not sure NBC offered any deal to WRAL. From Broadcasting & Cable:

Quote:
Hartbert said WRAL approached NBC as soon as they were able to talk to other parties, at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, and the deal was completed quickly. NBC had been negotiating with Media General about renewing with WNCN, but changed course when the WRAL opportunity came about.
Sounds to me that CBS wasn't offering the terms that CBC wanted, whether that is money or streaming rights or something else. Wouldn't surprise me if much of it was about money, what with CBS almost constantly yelling that their content isn't being valued correctly in the market. If CBS isn't careful, they're gonna price themselves right out just like most companies that are producing content are doing....

I'm just amazed you can start talking after 6pm on a Tuesday and have signed agreements ready to announce by the end of business on Friday for a change like this.
post #15491 of 15510 Old 01-18-2016, 07:44 PM

WRAL and WRAZ yanked off DirecTV this evening due to contract dispute. Interestingly, I hadn't heard about any issues before the channels disappeared. Pretty bad timing with the WRAL/WNCN affiliate switch coming.
post #15492 of 15510 Old 01-18-2016, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
We're also in ACC country here, the heart of it... and WRAL is going to be losing a lot more ACC coverage, especially the NCAA men's tourney this year... and that is going to hurt.
They will only lose whats broadcast on CBS...NCAA tournament, yes, and a small handful of ACC games carried by CBS. They will still have the syndicated Raycom package (ACC Network)...that is not affiliated with CBS in any way. The only difference is what is being delayed / preempted going forward (ie, first quarter of Notre Dame football rather than the SEC Game of the Week).
post #15493 of 15510 Old 01-19-2016, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt W View Post
WRAL and WRAZ yanked off DirecTV this evening due to contract dispute. Interestingly, I hadn't heard about any issues before the channels disappeared. Pretty bad timing with the WRAL/WNCN affiliate switch coming.
I'm sure the folks at WTVD are just having a party with all the bad commotion out of 5 lately.
post #15494 of 15510 Old 01-19-2016, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm sorry if I'm repeating the following question:

Doesn't C.B.C. and WRAL-TV program WILM-LD (CBS) channel 10 of Wilmington, NC? What happens to that station?
post #15495 of 15510 Old 01-19-2016, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINL71 View Post
I'm sorry if I'm repeating the following question:

Doesn't C.B.C. and WRAL-TV program WILM-LD (CBS) channel 10 of Wilmington, NC? What happens to that station?
WILM has one year left on the CBS contract. They will continue to operate it status quo as a CBS affiliate but after the year, what happens is up in the air.
post #15496 of 15510 Old 01-20-2016, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retspin View Post

NBC is #1 this season (thus far) with Persons 18-49.

"Today" is #1 Persons 25-54
CBS This Morning is far, far behind.

NBC Nightly News is miles ahead of CBS News.

Combining WRAL's news presence with NBC in the morning and their Nightly News will be a BIG win for WRAL.

Also, with NBC scoring so well P18-49 in Primetime, that will also be a positive.

The only downside, as had been stated previously, is Basketball, specifically the NCAA Finals - but as Turner has 75% of the games and WRAL had no choice as to which games of local interest to air for the past several years, this is probably not an issue.

Besides, WRAL will get 2 Superbowls in a 24 month period!
post #15497 of 15510 Old 01-20-2016, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCAVS View Post
NBC is #1 this season (thus far) with Persons 18-49.

"Today" is #1 Persons 25-54
CBS This Morning is far, far behind.

NBC Nightly News is miles ahead of CBS News.

Combining WRAL's news presence with NBC in the morning and their Nightly News will be a BIG win for WRAL.

Also, with NBC scoring so well P18-49 in Primetime, that will also be a positive.

The only downside, as had been stated previously, is Basketball, specifically the NCAA Finals - but as Turner has 75% of the games and WRAL had no choice as to which games of local interest to air for the past several years, this is probably not an issue.

Besides, WRAL will get 2 Superbowls in a 24 month period!
Good points. But the Today Show is hardly news...compared to its original incarnation back in the day. Today it is about 5% news and 95% pop culture, food, etc. I liked the CBS Morning News' approach of getting back to higher percentage of actual news coverage, and thought that tied into WRAL's approach with all their coverage and documentaries, but if the 18-49 demo is what they want, I guess that demo does not get news from TV any more anyway.
post #15498 of 15510 Old 01-20-2016, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 346
I was not aware NBC was doing so much better in the rankings. Good for them. I still don't watch NBC, but it's nice if they are picking up other viewers again.

I was aware that WRAL will keep the Raycom agreement. But a lot of games already had moved to ESPN that used to be on Raycom... and some other games have moved to CBS, especially out-of-conference matchups... so while they will keep the ACC Tournament, losing the NCAA tournament is nothing to sneeze at.

NFL is probably a wash, since about half the year CBS has only one Sunday game anyway... and now they will have the opening night NBC Thursday game. They lose the Masters and some Tennis but I don't know how big a hit that will be.

In an odd way, this switch benefits me... because I don't watch much NBC, and nights like last night where NCIS and NCIS: NO were pushed to ~1:40am due to the Raycom contract for ACC... so next year I likely would not have to worry about the pre-empted NBC show while watching the ACC game.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out in a few years. I still feel like this is a big pickup for WNCN to be CBS and even if the predictions of CBS "demise" come true, that's in the future, so for right now this might be a big boost to WNCN.
post #15499 of 15510 Old 01-20-2016, 04:37 PM

...and WRAL and WRAZ are back on DirecTV as of around 3:30pm Wednesday.
post #15500 of 15510 Old 01-21-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

CBS is still the #1 rated network overall, although NBC may be leading in certain demographics. And although NBC Nightly News is higher rated, the CBS Evening News has recently won several major journalism awards, and CBS This Morning has definitely more hard news content than Today. But I do miss Brian Williams on NBC, although Lester Holt does a good job.
post #15501 of 15510 Old 01-22-2016, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
CBS is still the #1 rated network overall, although NBC may be leading in certain demographics. And although NBC Nightly News is higher rated, the CBS Evening News has recently won several major journalism awards, and CBS This Morning has definitely more hard news content than Today. But I do miss Brian Williams on NBC, although Lester Holt does a good job.
Yes, and no money is made from Advertiser on Total Population.

Money is made on Persons 18-49 and for Persons 25-54 on News Programs.

Awards don't pay bills. Al Jazera America has won multiple awards recently and you see where that got them.
post #15502 of 15510 Old 01-22-2016, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCAVS View Post
Al Jazera America has won multiple awards recently and you see where that got them.
Qatar subsists on oil revenues, which their friends the Saudis are current stomping on in a impotent attempt at controlling the future of certain extraction industries. The lack of oil revenue is at least partly at fault for the government of Qatar allowing AJA to go under. My understanding, flawed as that may be, is that AJA never approached profitability, nor was that its purpose.
post #15503 of 15510 Old 01-22-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
Qatar subsists on oil revenues, which their friends the Saudis are current stomping on in a impotent attempt at controlling the future of certain extraction industries. The lack of oil revenue is at least partly at fault for the government of Qatar allowing AJA to go under. My understanding, flawed as that may be, is that AJA never approached profitability, nor was that its purpose.
Thank you for proving my point. Awards do not bring in revenue.
post #15504 of 15510 Old 02-06-2016, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've noticed recently that OTA recordings of UNC's main channel on my DVR have become smaller in size (~4.6 GB per hour) than in the past (~5.8 GB per hour).

Have they lowered the bandwidth for the main HD channel to accommodate the "new" UNC-NC channel OTA?
post #15505 of 15510 Old 02-06-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidiot1985 View Post
I've noticed recently that OTA recordings of UNC's main channel on my DVR have become smaller in size (~4.6 GB per hour) than in the past (~5.8 GB per hour).

Have they lowered the bandwidth for the main HD channel to accommodate the "new" UNC-NC channel OTA?
The bits had to come from somewhere.
post #15506 of 15510 Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
what's the opinion on directv picture quality? also, i believe it's possible to use OTA and record on directv DVR, but requires a $200 box?
post #15507 of 15510 Old Today, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
what's the opinion on directv picture quality? also, i believe it's possible to use OTA and record on directv DVR, but requires a $200 box?
my personal opinion is that PQ is ok. i think it is better than TWC based on viewing TWC at friends houses. It still isn't great though.

i currently record OTA on my directv HR24 DVR using the AM21 box. i am fairly certain that the newer Genie DVRs still support it. but i am not 100% sure. as to price, i don't know. it was $50 when i got it a long time ago, though i got it for free by asking nicely . i just checked directv's website, and they don't seem to offer it anymore, or at least it is well hidden? but it does show up on amazon and solidstate. at solidstate, it is $200. maybe the exorbitant price is due to directv not making them anymore? i also checked ebay, and they seem to be anywhere from $50-$100. i would definitely talk to someone at directv about getting one directly from them if they still have them. if you are signing up for new service, they may give it to you for free.
post #15508 of 15510 Old Today, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drill View Post
my personal opinion is that PQ is ok. i think it is better than TWC based on viewing TWC at friends houses. It still isn't great though.

i currently record OTA on my directv HR24 DVR using the AM21 box. i am fairly certain that the newer Genie DVRs still support it. but i am not 100% sure. as to price, i don't know. it was $50 when i got it a long time ago, though i got it for free by asking nicely . i just checked directv's website, and they don't seem to offer it anymore, or at least it is well hidden? but it does show up on amazon and solidstate. at solidstate, it is $200. maybe the exorbitant price is due to directv not making them anymore? i also checked ebay, and they seem to be anywhere from $50-$100. i would definitely talk to someone at directv about getting one directly from them if they still have them. if you are signing up for new service, they may give it to you for free.
cool, and all the local raleigh area channels show up in the guide and you can record the OTA broadcast (presumably at a better PQ)?
post #15509 of 15510 Old Today, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
cool, and all the local raleigh area channels show up in the guide and you can record the OTA broadcast (presumably at a better PQ)?
I don't mean to barge into the market, but I lived in the Raleigh TV OTA range in NC and used the AM21 to add them to my guide.

Short answer: Yes.

Detailed answer: Kinda, mostly, sorta...

The AM21 is a weird thing. It works fine with receivers HR2x, HR34, and HR44, but I think I have seen posts on other forums stating that people were having issues with the HR54. There is a database somewhere in Directvland that it will match zip codes to what your antenna is receiving and only display the ones that match the database. It asks for zip codes for two DMAs. The database doesn't have much info for LP stations. The database hasn't been updated in a looooong time, but what's there you can use. That is the basic "as intended" use. Some say the tuner isn't as good as their TV's tuner, but it is comparable to mine. Disclaimer: AM21 has its own line but 2 TVs and the radio are on another.

However, there is a trick to the AM21. You can add more markets and try to fill in missing channels by using zipcodes from other areas. The database is available publicy, I can give you more info if you want. I might have screenshots of my NC guide somewhere, too.

This is what the database shows for Raleigh now (next post). When I lived there, I know 22-2 and 40-2 were in there. Anyone know more updated info than me?

There is one more stupid little thing: Some of the channels even have the logo in the banner. All CBS logos in the AM21 somehow got switched to the logo for Video Rola (ch 415, 119 sat) which is super annoying in the quick tune. They do update affiliates and logos on there some, which is why I know 40-2 was on there because it changed from Telefutura to Unimas not long after the actual change. I am really hoping that come swap day, someone will notice when they switch WRAL and WNCN and fix it for all!

Last edited by ejb1980; Today at 05:16 PM.
post #15510 of 15510 Old Today, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Raleigh DMA AM21 list

WUNCDT 4.1
WUNCDT2 4.2
WUNCDT3 4.3
WRALDT 5.1
WRALDT2 5.2
WRALDT3 5.3
WRALDT4 5.4
WTVDDT 11.1
WTVDDT2 11.2
WTVDDT3 11.3
WNCNDT 17.1
WNCNDT2 17.2
WNCNDT3 17.3
WLFLDT 22.1
WRDCDT 28.1
WRDCDT2 28.2
WRAYDT 30.1
WRAYDT2 30.2
WUNUDT5 31.5 (<---no idea why this is there....)
WUNPDT 36.1
WUNPDT2 36.2
WUNPDT3 36.3
WUNPDT5 36.5
WUVCDT 40.1 (<---what happened to 40-2/WTNC? Do they still have 26 WTNC in the satellite LIL lineup?)
WRPXDT 47.1
WRPXDT2 47.2
WRPXDT3 47.3
WRPXDT4 47.4
WRAZDT 50.1
WRAZDT2 50.2
WFPXDT 62.1
WFPXDT2 62.2
WFPXDT3 62.3
WFPXDT4 62.4
WAUGDT 68.1

Last edited by ejb1980; Today at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception